March 19, 2024, 02:01:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JORAN VAN DER SLOOT MURDERS AGAIN? Articles only - no discussion please  (Read 220617 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #360 on: July 16, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »

Report: Natalee Holloway Suspect Involved in Thai Sex Trafficking
Monday, November 10, 2008

De Vries’ latest report, which was shown Sunday night on Dutch television, shows Van der Sloot telling someone posing as a sex-industry boss that he can get passports for Thai women and girls who think they are going to the Netherlands to work as dancers, DutchNews.nl reported.

Van der Sloot makes about $13,000 for every woman sold into prostitution in the Netherlands, De Vries claims.

“The pictures show how little respect this 21-year-old has for the lives of others,” De Vries told a Dutch newspaper. “The fact that he goes into the trafficking of women after the disappearance of Natalee is typical of him.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449294,00.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #361 on: July 16, 2010, 11:35:34 PM »

Yesterday morning , the European coffee and breakfast bread. Meanwhile, homicide detectives awaited the arrival of the public defender and translator Maurice Steins , given by the Consortium of Legal Translators .

http://trome.pe/tonline/Html/2010-06-06/ontractualidad1093554.html

TRANSLATOR FROM THE DUTCH EMBASSY

Peru police give Van der Sloot murder case to prosecutors
The Associated Press
LIMA, Peru June 10, 2010 (AP)

Guardia denied any suggestion that Van der Sloot's confession was forced. He said a translator assigned by the Dutch Embassy was present, as was a state-appointed defense attorney.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wirestory?id=10873420&page=4

ACCORDING TO PERUVIAN LAW

Van der Sloot charged with murder in PeruFrom Mayra Cuevas , CNN
June 17, 2010 9:28 p.m. EDT

Van der Sloot's lawyer, Maximo Alonso Altez Navarro, has said he plans to ask the judge in the case to strike down van der Sloot's confession because he was not properly represented when he was interrogated.

Canlla defended his department's interrogation and said van der Sloot's confession was acquired legally.

"The statement was done within all the requirements stipulated by Peruvian law," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/11/peru.murder.case/index.html?hpt=T3

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #362 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »

quote author=Jo-An link=topic=8191.msg1187463#msg1187463 date=1279627308]
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/19/peru.van.der.sloot.attorney/index.html?hpt=T2#fbid=bK7tLQFsjiQ

Van der Sloot's former attorney rejects lawsuit claims

By the CNN Wire Staff
July 20, 2010 -- Updated 0157 GMT (0957 HKT)

Joran van der Sloot sued attorney Luz Marina Romero Chinchay earlier this month.

(CNN) -- The attorney who represented Joran van der Sloot during his confession in the case of the killing of a Peruvian woman says that van der Sloot hired her to be his attorney, contradicting a claim he makes in a pending lawsuit.

Van der Sloot, currently in a Peruvian prison pending an appeal on a motion that his incarceration and confession were illegal, sued attorney Luz Marina Romero Chinchay earlier this month. The Dutch citizen claims that Romero was imposed on him and that she became involved because she was in a relationship with a police officer, according to his current attorney, Maximo Altez.

In an exclusive interview with HLN and "In Session," Romero refutes the allegations.

Contrary to the accusations in the lawsuit, Romero said she became involved with van der Sloot after learning that he refused a state-appointed attorney and requested a private attorney.

"I asked (van der Sloot) if he wanted my services and he said yes," Romero said. "I told him the on-duty defense attorney was present and I asked him if he wanted to give a statement through them. He said no, he wanted a private defense attorney."

Van der Sloot wanted to talk to her about the case, she said, but felt uncomfortable with the others in the room -- the prosecutor, a police officer and a translator.

After the others left, the two reached a verbal agreement that she would represent him. Romero remembers asking him about payment. He replied that his mother would pay his legal fees. Then, the others returned to the room and he gave his confession to authorities.

Now, van der Sloot alleges that he never agreed to have Romero as his attorney.

Another contradiction that Romero brought forward involves van der Sloot's knowledge of Spanish. According to the motion to dismiss his confession as illegal, van der Sloot alleges that he didn't understand Spanish enough to know what he was being told to sign.

Romero said their conversation was in perfect Spanish.

According to Romero, van der Sloot was calm during his statement and afterwards spoke with his mother on the phone. Her advice, Romero said, was her son not make any statements or sign anything. But it was too late.

Van der Sloot also told Romero that he was interested in talking about the case of missing Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba, where he is a suspect, because he thought it might get him extradited to Aruba.

Referring to his new legal strategy, Romero said, "I think every attorney does his work differently, they have their own professional ethic. I respect this professional (Altez) but his actions point to (wanting) to nullify the preliminary investigation. But like I said he had all the guarantees of the due process."

She also questioned the truthfulness of van der Sloot. For instance, when he signed some documents after talking to his mother, Romero noticed that he signed very differently than what he signed on the police statement, she said.

"I told him, 'you signed differently' and he winked his eye and made a silence signal with his hands," Romero said.

She added, "God will clarify everything and I will rest at peace that my innocence in respect to the charges that this man has against me will be made public -- saying that I was working with authorities to lie to this Dutchman -- which is not true."

[/quote]

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #363 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »

Appeals panel considers van der Sloot's confession
By the CNN Wire Staff
August 23, 2010 10:11 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A panel of Peruvian judges is considering whether to uphold the confession of Joran van der Sloot, who is accused of killing a 21-year-old woman.

The three-judge appellate panel is expected to hand down a decision in about a week.

"We believe we did a good job demonstrating that there wasn't an official translator and that his attorney (at the time of the confession) did not have a document accrediting her as his attorney," van der Sloot's attorney, Maximo Altez Navarro, told In

Session on Friday.

Van der Sloot is jailed pending trial on charges of first-degree murder and robbery in the May 30 death in of Stefany Flores, a 21-year-old student.

The 22-year-old Dutch citizen, who claims in court documents that his incarceration and confession were illegal, sued attorney Luz Marina Romero Chinchay in July. Van der Sloot says Romero was imposed on him and that she became involved because she was in a relationship with a police officer, said Altez.

Romero has denied those allegations.

In June, a superior court judge in Lima, Peru, upheld the confession and incarceration of van der Sloot. Judge Wilder Casique Alvizuri declared as "unfounded" van der Sloot's habeas corpus claim that his constitutional rights were violated at the time of the confession because he was represented by a state-appointed attorney.

Van der Sloot also claimed his laptop had been improperly searched.

In an official press release, the judge said the suspect had a translator made available to him during the three depositions he gave the police and that his laptop was sealed once delivered to the court.

Separately, van der Sloot remains a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005, though he has not been charged in that case.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/20/peru.van.der.sloot/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #364 on: August 23, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »

Van der Sloot case stagnates in Peru
Monday 23 August 2010

The legal process against Joran van der Sloot, who is accused of murdering a Peruvian woman, has ground to a halt, the 22-year-old Dutchman's laywer told Peruvian tv station Panamericana Televisión on Saturday night.

Lawyer Máximo Altez told the programme the case is stagnating because no official interpreter can be found, it is widely reported in Dutch newspapers on Monday.

Van der Sloot is accused of murdering 21-year-old Stephany Flores on May 30 in his hotel room in Lima. He originally confessed to the murder but is now trying to get the confession nullified.

Panamericana Televisión showed a letter from the Peruvian association of translators and interpreters which said it has no one who can translate from Spanish into Dutch. It also showed a letter from the Dutch embassy in which it says it has no official interpreter available.

A spokesman for the foreign affairs ministry told the Telegraaf on Sunday evening that embassies always provide a list of lawyers and interpreters to nationals accused of crimes abroad, but does not provide interpreters itself.

Van der Sloot is also facing unrelated charges of extortion and wire fraud in Alabama, US and was twice arrested and released in connection with the disappearance of American teenager Natalee Holloway on Aruba five years ago.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2010/08/the_legal_process_against_jora.php

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #365 on: August 23, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »

Van der Sloot's former attorney rejects lawsuit claims
By the CNN Wire Staff
July 20, 2010 -- Updated 0157 GMT (0957 HKT)

CNN) -- The attorney who represented Joran van der Sloot during his confession in the case of the killing of a Peruvian woman says that van der Sloot hired her to be his attorney, contradicting a claim he makes in a pending lawsuit.

Van der Sloot, currently in a Peruvian prison pending an appeal on a motion that his incarceration and confession were illegal, sued attorney Luz Marina Romero Chinchay earlier this month. The Dutch citizen claims that Romero was imposed on him and that she became involved because she was in a relationship with a police officer, according to his current attorney, Maximo Altez.

In an exclusive interview with HLN and "In Session," Romero refutes the allegations.

Contrary to the accusations in the lawsuit, Romero said she became involved with van der Sloot after learning that he refused a state-appointed attorney and requested a private attorney.

"I asked (van der Sloot) if he wanted my services and he said yes," Romero said. "I told him the on-duty defense attorney was present and I asked him if he wanted to give a statement through them. He said no, he wanted a private defense attorney."

Van der Sloot wanted to talk to her about the case, she said, but felt uncomfortable with the others in the room -- the prosecutor, a police officer and a translator.

After the others left, the two reached a verbal agreement that she would represent him. Romero remembers asking him about payment. He replied that his mother would pay his legal fees. Then, the others returned to the room and he gave his confession to authorities.

Now, van der Sloot alleges that he never agreed to have Romero as his attorney.

Another contradiction that Romero brought forward involves van der Sloot's knowledge of Spanish. According to the motion to dismiss his confession as illegal, van der Sloot alleges that he didn't understand Spanish enough to know what he was being told to sign.

Romero said their conversation was in perfect Spanish.

According to Romero, van der Sloot was calm during his statement and afterwards spoke with his mother on the phone. Her advice, Romero said, was her son not make any statements or sign anything. But it was too late.

Van der Sloot also told Romero that he was interested in talking about the case of missing Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba, where he is a suspect, because he thought it might get him extradited to Aruba.

Referring to his new legal strategy, Romero said, "I think every attorney does his work differently, they have their own professional ethic. I respect this professional (Altez) but his actions point to (wanting) to nullify the preliminary investigation. But like I said he had all the guarantees of the due process."

She also questioned the truthfulness of van der Sloot. For instance, when he signed some documents after talking to his mother, Romero noticed that he signed very differently than what he signed on the police statement, she said.

"I told him, 'you signed differently' and he winked his eye and made a silence signal with his hands," Romero said.

She added, "God will clarify everything and I will rest at peace that my innocence in respect to the charges that this man has against me will be made public -- saying that I was working with authorities to lie to this Dutchman -- which is not true."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/19/peru.van.der.sloot.attorney/index.html?hpt=T2#fbid=yZq5EryhJHn&wom=true

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #366 on: August 23, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »

Appeals panel considers van der Sloot's confession
By the CNN Wire Staff
August 23, 2010 10:11 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A panel of Peruvian judges is considering whether to uphold the confession of Joran van der Sloot, who is accused of killing a 21-year-old woman.

The three-judge appellate panel is expected to hand down a decision in about a week.

"We believe we did a good job demonstrating that there wasn't an official translator and that his attorney (at the time of the confession) did not have a document accrediting her as his attorney," van der Sloot's attorney, Maximo Altez Navarro, told In Session on Friday.

Van der Sloot is jailed pending trial on charges of first-degree murder and robbery in the May 30 death in of Stefany Flores, a 21-year-old student.

The 22-year-old Dutch citizen, who claims in court documents that his incarceration and confession were illegal, sued attorney Luz Marina Romero Chinchay in July. Van der Sloot says Romero was imposed on him and that she became involved because she was in a relationship with a police officer, said Altez.

In June, a superior court judge in Lima, Peru, upheld the confession and incarceration of van der Sloot. Judge Wilder Casique Alvizuri declared as "unfounded" van der Sloot's habeas corpus claim that his constitutional rights were violated at the time of the confession because he was represented by a state-appointed attorney.

In an official press release, the judge said the suspect had a translator made available to him during the three depositions he gave the police and that his laptop was sealed once delivered to the court.

Separately, van der Sloot remains a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005, though he has not been charged in that case.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/20/peru.van.der.sloot/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #367 on: August 23, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »

Legal Maneuvering in van der Sloot's Peru case (UPDATED)
Last Update: 11:22 am 

Birmingham, Al (WIAT) Is Joran van der Sloot a psychopathic killer of young women….a beleaguered victim of circumstance….an amazing legal escape artist…or some combination?   The question is increasingly relevant as he appeals a murder confession in Peru.

He’s in a Peruvian prison accused of murdering 21 year old Stephany Flores. He’s considered the prime suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Mountain Brook teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba. Police in Thailand are reportedly investigating his ties to a sex slave plot in that country.

Yet he’s never been convicted of any of those crimes.

Although police in Aruba questioned him several times in Holloway’s disappearance on a graduation trip to the island…and although she was last seen with van der Sloot…he was never charged with a crime there.

His situation is Peru is murkier. Police there have a variety of evidence. Flores’ corpse was found in his Lima hotel room. Security cameras show the two of them entering the room and him leaving without her. There is reportedly forensic evidence from the room. And Peruvian investigators say he confessed to killing Flores after she found material relating to Natalee Holloway on his laptop.

It’s not van der Sloot’s first confession….he’s confessed…and recanted…several times regarding Natalee. A Peruvian judge rejected van der Sloot’s initial appeal that his Flores confession was coerced, that he had improper legal representation and didn’t have a proper translator present.

A three judge panel is currently considering an appeal of that effort to throw out the confession.

Now, the website Dutchnnews.nl is citing Peruvian TV station Panamericana Television as saying the legal process against van der Sloot has “ground to a halt.”

Lawyer Máximo Altez told the programme the case is stagnating because no official interpreter can be found.

Panamericana Televisión showed a letter from the Peruvian association of translators and interpreters which said it has no one who can translate from Spanish into Dutch. It also showed a letter from the Dutch embassy in which it says it has no official interpreter available.

The Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf quoted the Dutch Foreign Ministry as saying it provides lists of qualified interpreters in every country but does not, itself, provide interpreters.

UPDATE:  Radio Netherlands Worldwide offers a bit more information in an article titled Joran van der Sloot trial grinds to a halt:  "A representative for the Netherlands’ Foreign Ministry said in a response on Sunday evening that its embassies always provide lists of lawyers and recognised translators, from which Dutch citizens accused of a crime aboard can choose. Reliable lists are always available. The embassies themselves, said the representative, do not provide translators."

http://www.cbs42.com/mostpopular/story/Legal-Maneuvering-in-van-der-Sloots-Peru-case/dt8wxB1m5UK8FNJeygX60w.cspx

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #368 on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »

Translator from the Dutch Embassy?

The Associated Press

We've practically closed the case," criminal police chief Gen. Cesar Guardia told The Associated Press

Guardia denied any suggestion that Van der Sloot's confession was forced.  He said a translator assigned by the Dutch Embassy was present, as was a state-appointed defense attorney.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wirestory?id=10873420&page=1

According to Peruvian Law

Van der Sloot charged with murder in PeruFrom Mayra Cuevas , CNN
June 17, 2010 9:28 p.m. EDT

In the Holloway case, van der Sloot told investigators during an interrogation that he knows the location of her body, a Peruvian police official said. But van der Sloot would not identify the location or say what happened to her the night of her disappearance, said Miguel Canlla, head of the homicide division of the Peruvian national police investigative unit.

"In the interrogation done to the Dutch citizen, he says he knew the location of the corpse of the American citizen but that he was going to explain everything to Aruban police," Canlla said Thursday.

Canlla said Thursday that Aruban police were not currently in Peru and that he did not know whether Aruban and Peruvian investigators had been in contact.

Van der Sloot's lawyer, Maximo Alonso Altez Navarro, has said he plans to ask the judge in the case to strike down van der Sloot's confession because he was not properly represented when he was interrogated.

Canlla defended his department's interrogation and said van der Sloot's confession was acquired legally.

"The statement was done within all the requirements stipulated by Peruvian law," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/11/peru.murder.case/index.html?hpt=T3

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #369 on: August 23, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »

Joran, 'Clown' and William's best friends
A photo shows the three murderers together and smiling at the Miguel Castro Castro prison.

Birds of a feather flock together. Joran Van der Sloot, William Trickett and Trujillo Alejandro Ospina "Clown" the three accused of heinous crimes have become inseparable friends. In a photo shown on "Sunday Today" is the three hugged and smiling.

A Joran is seen with some extra kilos and beard, while Alejandro Trujillo is the most smiling in the picture, even posing as a rapper. At the other end is seen to William Trickett, recently extradited by the death of his wife, Jana Claudia Gomez occurred in 2007. He is still a bit fearful. Sources for this program will ensure that this picture is the moment of welcome and Clown Joran gave Trickett.
Also knew that Joran continues his penchant for poker, gambling that he shared with former mayor Luis Valdez, as a "clown" does not like the game. The three are in an isolated area of the Castro Castro prison.

http://trome.pe/noticia/627345/joran-payaso-y-william-mejores-amigos

Salazar Minister regrets that 'advertise' to foreign murderers (with audio)

He said the Castro Castro prison, where they are Van Der Sloot, Alejandro Trujillo and William Trickett, belongs to the MoJ, which is why the minister dels sector must respond.
The Interior Minister Octavio Salazar, advertising is being questioned on the front pages of newspapers to foreigners investigated by Joran Van Der Sloot murders, Alejandro Trujillo and William Trickett Smith Ospina.

He explained that the photograph, which can be seen these people, could be taken with a cell phone, but that any recording media is banned in the prison.

The press has published a photograph are embracing the Dutchman Van Der Sloot, who killed the young Stephany Flores Trujillo Colombian Ospina, Myriam perpetrator Fefer and American Trickett Smith, called the "murderer of the bag."

Salazar said the Miguel Castro Castro prison, where these people are imprisoned, is in charge of the Ministry of Justice, therefore, the owner of this sector must respond.

On the other hand, said that more than ten thousand police officers who provide security on the streets of Lima, and only five thousand as reported.

Speaking to reporters, said that it is possible to assign agents to the streets, but can not neglect the safety of judges, prosecutors investigating cases of drug trafficking, corruption and terrorism.

Regarding the defect against the municipal chair candidate Alex Kouri, said that "laws are to meet, and if the National Elections Jury (JNE)" chose to cross out their reasons should have. "

http://www.rpp.com.pe/2010-08-23-ministro-salazar-lamenta-que-se-publicite-a-extranjeros-asesinos-noticia_289867.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #370 on: August 23, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »

FLASHBACK

LIMA, Peru, June 26, 2010
Judge: Van der Sloot Confession Stands

(CBS/AP)  A Peruvian judge on Friday denied a defense motion to void the confession of Joran van der Sloot in the slaying of Stephany Flores.

The motion claimed the confession should be dismissed because the attorney representing van der Sloot at the time was state-appointed.

Superior Court Judge Wilder Casique rejected the habeas corpus move made on behalf of Van der Sloot, who is jailed pending trial on charges of first-degree murder and robbery in the May 30 death in his Lima hotel room of 21-year-old Peruvian business student Stephany Flores. He met her while playing poker in a casino.

Van der Sloot, 22, also remains the sole suspect in the unresolved 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway on the Caribbean island of Aruba. He's never been charged in that crime.

Flores' brother hailed the decision in an interview with CBS News, and said his family has been in touch with Holloway's.

Peruvian police say their search of van der Sloot's computer discovered e-mails relating to the Holloway case. In his confession, van der Sloot said he killed Flores after she read one of those e-mails.

Casique noted in a statement that Van der Sloot had, in addition to the lawyer, been afforded a Dutch-Spanish interpreter vetted by the Dutch Embassy.

Van der Sloot recanted the confession in a jailhouse interview with the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, claiming it was made under duress.

The defendant's lawyer, Maximo Altez, told The Associated Press he would appeal Casique's decision to a higher court.

A criminal law expert, Jose Balcazar, told the AP that Van der Sloot can continue the appeal but "that will not hold up the case against him."

Earlier Friday, the chief judge of Lima's Superior Court, Cesar Vega, told reporters that Peruvian laws allow up to six months for murder trials.

But legal expert Mario Amoretti said that in practice, cases like Van der Sloot's can last 18 months.

Balcazar said the defense is likely to try to draw the trial out.

If convicted, Van der Sloot faces between 15 and 35 years in prison.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/26/earlyshow/saturday/main6620493.shtml

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #371 on: August 24, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »

Smiling pose criminal murderers
Television program broadcast a picture taken in Castro Castro where they are seen as being at a party
The days of confinement for the seasoned criminal aliens Joran van der Sloot, Ospina Hugo Trujillo and William Trickett Smith II are not as dark and difficult as one might imagine.

The program Sunday was a picture a day in which the Dutchman is very cheerful, and with some extra kilos, alongside his close friend of Trujillo, the murderer of the entrepreneur Myriam Fefer, and Trickett, the American accused of killing his wife and hiding her body in a suitcase, then tossed into the sea.

The three are being held in the area of prevention of the Miguel Castro Castro "very close to each other, and, based on image, not have any remorse.

The most smiling in the photograph is the Colombian Trujillo, who poses as if holding a pistol. He and Joran have established a strong bond of friendship they do not have permission to go outside and spend their time eating burgers and pizzas. A Trickett's arrival, both welcomed, but Joran talked more with him in English, to enter into trust.

The video recorded the Dutchman playing poker with former inmate Luis Valdez, a former mayor of Coronel Portillo. The other inmates call him "gringo" to Joran and "Clown" Trujillo Ospina.

SEALING TRIAL. His capture is not delayed even a week, but the trial that followed the murder of Flores Stephany expands every day.

Due to the lack of an official language interpreter Netherlands, the process to Joran van der Sloot paralyzed risk although there is strong evidence against him because, in his statement to the police, said on May 30 killed the young.

"If there is no interpreter, the trial can not proceed because the required due process," said Max Highness, lawyer of the European.

He stressed that while there are translators of that language, what is required is an official interpreter, but that neither the Netherlands Embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have them. The Judiciary would solve this problem in the coming days.

http://peru21.pe/noticia/627726/asesinos-posan-sonrientes-penal

Not a "Official" Translator?

LIMA, Peru, June 26, 2010
Judge: Van der Sloot Confession Stands

(CBS/AP)  A Peruvian judge on Friday denied a defense motion to void the confession of Joran van der Sloot in the slaying of Stephany Flores.

The motion claimed the confession should be dismissed because the attorney representing van der Sloot at the time was state-appointed.

Superior Court Judge Wilder Casique rejected the habeas corpus move made on behalf of Van der Sloot, who is jailed pending trial on charges of first-degree murder and robbery in the May 30 death in his Lima hotel room of 21-year-old Peruvian business student Stephany Flores. He met her while playing poker in a casino.

Van der Sloot, 22, also remains the sole suspect in the unresolved 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway on the Caribbean island of Aruba. He's never been charged in that crime.

Flores' brother hailed the decision in an interview with CBS News, and said his family has been in touch with Holloway's.

Peruvian police say their search of van der Sloot's computer discovered e-mails relating to the Holloway case. In his confession, van der Sloot said he killed Flores after she read one of those e-mails.

Casique noted in a statement that Van der Sloot had, in addition to the lawyer, been afforded a Dutch-Spanish interpreter vetted by the Dutch Embassy.

Van der Sloot recanted the confession in a jailhouse interview with the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, claiming it was made under duress.

The defendant's lawyer, Maximo Altez, told The Associated Press he would appeal Casique's decision to a higher court.

A criminal law expert, Jose Balcazar, told the AP that Van der Sloot can continue the appeal but "that will not hold up the case against him."

Earlier Friday, the chief judge of Lima's Superior Court, Cesar Vega, told reporters that Peruvian laws allow up to six months for murder trials.

But legal expert Mario Amoretti said that in practice, cases like Van der Sloot's can last 18 months.

Balcazar said the defense is likely to try to draw the trial out.

If convicted, Van der Sloot faces between 15 and 35 years in prison.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/26/earlyshow/saturday/main6620493.shtml

The Associated Press

We've practically closed the case," criminal police chief Gen. Cesar Guardia told The Associated Press

Guardia denied any suggestion that Van der Sloot's confession was forced.  He said a translator assigned by the Dutch Embassy was present, as was a state-appointed defense attorney.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wirestory?id=10873420&page=1

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #372 on: August 24, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »

Appeals panel considers van der Sloot's confessionBy the CNN Wire Staff
August 24, 2010 9:44 a.m. EDT

"We believe we did a good job demonstrating that there wasn't an official translator and that his attorney (at the time of the confession) did not have a document accrediting her as his attorney," van der Sloot's attorney, Maximo Altez Navarro, told In Session on Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/20/peru.van.der.sloot/index.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #373 on: August 24, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »

Van der Sloot Case: Peruvian Authorities Need Dutch Translator
Updated: Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010, 9:00 AM EDT

(NewsCore) - Legal proceedings against murder suspect Joran van der Sloot have ground to a halt because Peruvian authorities are unable to find him a interpreter, De Telegraaf reported Monday.

Van der Sloot's lawyer told a Peruvian TV station that neither the Dutch Embassy nor the country's courts could find anyone capable of translating from Dutch to Spanish.

Maximo Altez said the case against his client -- accused of murdering 21-year-old student Stephany Flores -- was stagnating while authorities struggled to solve the problem.

Panamericana Television showed a letter from Peru's national association of translators confirming that none of its members are capable of translating from Dutch to Spanish.

Dutch officials confirmed to De Telegraaf in the wake of the interview that the country's embassies can recommend translators but do not supply them directly.

Van der Sloot, a resident of Aruba, has apparently admitted killing Flores in his Lima hotel room on May 30 but is trying to have the confession declared invalid.

Peruvian officials are due to rule on its admissibility in the next few days, according to reports. One of the arguments put before them by van der Sloot's legal team was that there was no interpreter present when he allegedly confessed, highlighting the ongoing translation problems in the case.

Van der Sloot remains the prime suspect in the unrelated 2005 disappearance of American teenager Natalee Holloway on Aruba. He also faces charges of extortion and wire fraud in the U.S.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpps/news/van-der-sloot-case-peruvian-authorities-need-dutch-translator-dpgonc-20100824-fc_9315304

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #374 on: August 24, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/24/peru.vandersloot.photo/

Peru investigates van der Sloot prison picture
By the CNN Wire Staff
August 24, 2010 8:15 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Authorities in Peru said Tuesday they have begun disciplinary action against jailers who photographed suspected killer Joran van der Sloot posing with two other men held in connection with high-profile killings there.

The photograph, first aired by the Peruvian television network America TV, shows the 22-year-old van der Sloot standing alongside fellow inmates Hugo Trujillo Ospina and William Trickett Smith II. A fourth man in the picture is not identified.

Peru's National Institute of Corrections said Tuesday that disciplinary action was in the works over the photo.

"On August 23, the Office of Internal Affairs of the institution began administrative and disciplinary actions with the goal of establishing responsibility over the acts of official misconduct by employees of the Castro Castro Correctional Institution," the agency announced. "They improperly used photographic equipment that was meant for administrative duties."

Van der Sloot faces a murder charge in the death of college student Stephany Flores, who was found dead in his Lima hotel room in May. Police said he confessed to the killing after his arrest, but van der Sloot is asking a court to throw out his statement.

Authorities say van der Sloot has not received any visits from his family or given any interviews since his arrest.

The 22-year-old Dutch national was a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway on Aruba. He was arrested twice but released both times for lack of evidence. He has denied involvement and has not been charged in the case, though federal prosecutors in the United States say he tried to extort $250,000 from Holloway's mother in exchange for information about the whereabouts of her daughter's remains.

Ospina, a Colombian, faces trial for murder in the contract killing of Peruvian entrepreneur Myriam Fefer, while Smith is accused of killing his Peruvian wife, dismembering her and stuffing her body in a suitcase that was later found by fishermen offshore.

Ospina, Smith and van der Sloot were being held in a protective custody wing of the Castro Castro prison, away from other inmates, when the photo was taken last week, Peruvian authorities said. Van der Sloot is the only one of the three who is now being held there, they said.

_____

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #375 on: August 29, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20009554-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

July 2, 2010 11:40 AM

Van der Sloot Cops Say He Ditched Cell Phone's SIM Card on the Run

Posted by Naimah Jabali-Nash 5 comments .

Share 150diggsdiggShareE-mailPrintFont .
 Joran van der Sloot and Stephany Flores (CBS/AP)

NEW YORK (CBS) Peru police told 48 Hours | Mystery that they believe Joran van der Sloot, the man accused of killing Peruvian student Stephany Flores, disposed of the SIM card in his cell phone before he was apprehended.

PICTURES: Van der Sloot Hotel Room Crime Scene

After van der Sloot was caught in Chile, cops confiscated his cell phone. Police later found that the SIM card had been removed.

Why would van der Sloot ditch his SIM card?

According to 23-year NYPD veteran Vinny Marra, investigators can use cell phones to pinpoint the exact location of the phone, and so, the person carrying it.

But in order to do so, the cell phone must be in working condition.

Without the SIM in the phone, investigators could not use this tactic to track van der Sloot's location while he was fleeing Peru after allegedly committing the murder.

According to police, van der Sloot met Flores at a casino. Hotel security surveillance video showed Flores and  van der Sloot entering his hotel room together at around 5 a.m. Sunday May 30. It then shows him leaving alone four hours later with his bags.

Flores was later found dead in van der Sloot's hotel room. Flores' death occurred exactly five years after Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway disappeared in Aruba, in which van der Sloot remains the main suspect.

Van der Sloot confessed to fatally beating, strangling and suffocating Flores in the hotel room, according to transcripts of his signed confession, which he has since recanted.

Explicit crime scene photos were previously obtained exclusively by 48 Hours | Mystery from sources close to the investigation and published exclusively by Crimesider. They show a severely beaten Flores, her body badly bruised, her clothes stained with blood.

That SIM card would hold a lot of information.  It would show the people he contacted while he was on the run and it would have been his mother and Jan van der Straaten.  Those two alone would have been relaying messages to Joran on what he should do next and the last thing they told him was was to make sure he not only ditched his SIM card but destroy it.

I would love to know all his contacts he had in his little address book he was carrying with him.  I'm sure he weeded that out too.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #376 on: September 04, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/joran-van-der-sloot-prime-suspect-natalee-holloway-case-gives-interview-to-dutch-tv

Joran van der Sloot, prime suspect in Natalee Holloway case, gives interview to Dutch TV

September 4th, 2010 7:03 pm ET

Dutch TV will air an interview with Joran van der Sloot, the prime suspect in the Natalee Holloway disappearance, who now sits behind bars for allegedly murdering a Peruvian woman in May.

Radio Netherlands Worldwide reports that Dutch crime reporter, John van den Heuvel, spoke with van der Sloot at the maximum security prison Miguel Castro Castro in Lima where van der Sloot is being held on murder charges.

Stefany Flores, 21, was found dead in van der Sloot’s hotel room on May 30. He confessed to the killing, according to Peruvian police, however he now disputes such an admission. He is currently awaiting a decision from a panel of judges to determine whether his confession is valid or was coerced as van der Sloot now claims.

To read excerpts from his confession regarding Stephany's murder, click here.

He is also suspected in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway, 18, who was in Aruba with her high school classmates to celebrate their graduation. Natalee was last seen leaving a nightclub with van der Sloot May 30. She has not been seen since.

According to RNW, van den Heuvel also interviewed van der Sloot’s mother, Anita, who told him she will not visit her son in prison if he’s convicted of murdering Stefany.

The interview is entitled “Joran Speaks” and will air on RTL Monday. CBS News reports that the station is giving no further details about the interview.

To see the prison photo of van der Sloot with several other inmates, reportedly taken by a jailer, click here...

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #377 on: September 06, 2010, 11:34:33 AM »

MYSTERY VISITOR?

June 29, 2010

CRIME: Joran Van Der Sloot Visited In Jail By Mystery Woman Twice A Week
Posted on Jun 29, 2010 @ 10:00AM

Suspected murderer Joran van der Sloot has been receiving visits at his Peruvian jail from a mystery woman twice a week, RadarOnline.com has learned.

Van der Sloot, who is accused of murdering Peruvian citizen Stephany Flores Ramirez, has been seeing the woman on Wednesday and Saturdays each week.

EXCLUSIVE CRIME SCENE PHOTOS: Joran’s Bloody Shirt & Inside The Murder Room

Van der Sloot confessed to the murder but later retracted his confession.

Sources in Peru believe the mystery visitor has been sent by Joran’s mother, Anita to check-up on her son, who is also a suspect in the Natalee Holloway disappearance.

PHOTOS: Van der Sloot With Victim Hours Before Her Murder

The Dutch national is still refusing to leave his cell to go out on the patio for walks but has finally started to eat the same food as the other inmates.

But Van der Sloot’s request for a curtain for his cell has been denied by prison authorities because he is under surveillance 24 hours a day.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/06/crime-joran-van-der-sloot-visited-jail-mystery-woman-twice-week

August 31, 2010

JORAN'S PRISON ROMANCE
Published on: 08/31/2010

Accused killer JORAN VAN DER SLOOT has begun a jailhouse romance with a mystery woman who’s been allowed to visit him in his cell, The ENQUIRER has learned exclusively.

The slim, 30-something blonde calls on Dutch-born Joran twice a week at the grim Miguel Castro Castro prison in Lima, Peru.

“She’s a white foreigner with short blonde hair who speaks English and Spanish fluently. Guards as well as prisoners refer to her as 'the Dutchman’s gringa,’” revealed a source close to the case.

Joran has called the woman “my girlfriend” in conversations with Hugo Trujillo Ospina aka “The Clown,” the Colombian assassin who shares his cell block. However, it is unlikely that Joran has been able to get very intimate with the woman inside the 2,300-inmate prison because he is never left unguarded.

She began visiting van der Sloot, 23, on June 20 — 17 days after he was arrested for the brutal murder of Stephany Flores, the 21-year-old daughter of a wealthy businessman.

According to prison sources, the unlikely romance blossomed after van der Sloot’s mother began paying the woman $100 a month to take him food, money and clothing, and report on his condition.

During one recent 30-minute visit, guards’ records show that she brought him five cans of tuna and another five cans of beans with bacon, plus bread, jam and water.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/joran_vandersloot_prison_romance/celebrity/69255

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #378 on: September 06, 2010, 11:41:07 AM »

Report: Van der Sloot Admits Extorting Money From Holloways
Published September 06, 2010

AMSTERDAM -- The Dutchman charged with killing a 21-year-old Peruvian woman and suspected in the disappearance of U.S. teenager Natalee Holloway has acknowledged extorting money from Holloway's parents and says he did it to get back at them, according to an interview published Monday.

The Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf quoted Joran van der Sloot as confessing to taking money from the family of the teenager in return for revealing the location of her body. He was indicted in the U.S. in June for extortion after being caught in an FBI sting, though the place he indicated as her burial site site turned out to be bogus.

Holloway was last seen alive with him on the Caribbean resort island of Aruba in 2005, and he has publicly said he killed her and then retracted his confession several times.

"I wanted to get back at Natalee's family -- her parents have been making my life tough for five years," the paper quoted him as saying from prison in Peru. "When they offered to pay for the girl's location, I thought: 'Why not'?"

U.S. prosecutors say that in the sting earlier this year, Natalee's mother sent $10,000 in cash to Van der Sloot through an FBI witness, and a wire transfer of $15,000 to Van der Sloot's bank account in the Netherlands. He took the money and flew to Latin America.

He has been charged with killing Stephany Flores in his hotel room in Lima, Peru on May 30 -- 5 years to the day after Holloway's disappearance. He met both women in casinos.

Van der Sloot initially confessed to killing Flores to Peruvian police, but later said he only did so because he was intimidated and had been promised he would be extradited to the Netherlands.

His requests to have the confession retracted have so far been denied and he awaits trial.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/06/dutch-newspaper-murder-suspect-van-der-sloot-acknowledges-extorting-money/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #379 on: September 06, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »

Joran van der Sloot admits 'getting back' at Holloway family
Monday 06 September 2010

Joran van der Sloot has admitted getting money out of the family of Natalee Holloway, the American teenager who disappeared on the Caribbean island of Aruba a year ago, the Telegraaf reports on Monday.

In the interview, Van der Sloot said he wanted to 'get back' at the family. 'Her parents have been spoiling my life for the past five years,' Van der Sloot is quoted as saying in the Telegraaf.

'When they offered to pay me for saying where the girl was, I thought 'why not?'. I regret that now.'

Prison

The interview took place in the Castro Castro prison in Peru, where Van der Sloot faces charges of murdering a young Peruvian woman. He has been arrested and released twice in connection with Holloway's disappearance.

The Telegraaf says Van de Sloot said he had asked the family for money in return for information about where the girl's body can be found.

Her family paid €25,000 via a lawyer and Van de Sloot reportedly indicated a location on Aruba. He then went to Peru where he met Stephany Flores. Her body was found in a hotel room rented out in his name at the end of May.

A search of the location given by Van der Sloot - the foundations of a house - turned up nothing.

Extradition

The US authorities have requested Van der Sloot's extradition to face extortion charges.

In the short excerpt from the interview on the Telegraaf website, Van de Sloot says he has regular phone contact with his mother but that his brothers do not want to see him. He also says he teaches English to a couple of prison guards.

The full interview will be broadcast on Monday night.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2010/09/joran_van_der_sloot_admits_get.php

_____

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.