April 19, 2024, 07:45:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GE Branded coffee maker sold at Walmart recalled due to fire hazard  (Read 4153 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 20, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/business/GE-coffee-maker-recalled-due-to-fire-hazard-94495799.html
GE coffee maker recalled due to fire hazard
May 20, 2010

WASHINGTON  -- Nearly 1 million General Electric coffee makers sold at Walmart are being recalled after dozens of reports of overheating, smoking, burning and fires.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which announced the recall Thursday, said Walmart has received 83 complaints about the GE-branded coffee maker, including three reports of minor burns to consumers’ bodies.
The reports of property damage include a significant kitchen fire and damage to countertops, cabinets and a wall, said the CPSC.
The recall involves about 900,000 GE 12-cup digital coffee makers sold exclusively at Walmart stores nationwide.
The coffee makers, with the GE logo printed on the base, were sold in white or black from March 2008 through January of this year. The model numbers involved are 169164 and 169165.
Consumers are advised to immediately stop using these coffee makers and return them to any Walmart for a full refund.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »

http://www.woai.com/content/news/newslinks/story/Nearly-1-million-coffee-makers-recalled-due-to/JYZ0LAmzFUSBuJHVLlrvMw.cspx
Nearly 1 million coffee makers recalled due to fire hazard

WASHINGTON (AP) Nearly 1 million General Electric coffee makers sold at Walmart are being recalled after dozens of reports of overheating, smoking, burning and fires.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which announced the recall Thursday, said Walmart has received 83 complaints about the GE-branded coffee maker, including three reports of minor burns to consumers' bodies.

The reports of property damage include a significant kitchen fire and damage to countertops, cabinets and a wall, said the CPSC.

The recall involves about 900,000 GE 12-cup digital coffee makers sold exclusively at Walmart stores nationwide.

The coffee makers, with the GE logo printed on the base, were sold in white or black from March 2008 through January of this year. The model numbers involved are 169164 and 169165.

Consumers are advised to immediately stop using these coffee makers and return them to any Walmart for a full refund.

CLICK HERE to go to the CPSC recall notice. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10238.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »

oops! I think that this is the coffee pot that we have in our place at the lake! will have to check it out next time we are there...that is scary...We use the timer whenever we are down there..set it the night before...Yikes!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »

oops! I think that this is the coffee pot that we have in our place at the lake! will have to check it out next time we are there...that is scary...We use the timer whenever we are down there..set it the night before...Yikes!

I hope you remember to check your coffee pot next time you're at the lake.        A number of years ago, I bought a new bread machine and set it up with the timer when I went to bed.  I woke up to the smell of melting plastic.  The lid of my bread machine was melting!  About two months my Cuisinart stainless steel kettle that had an auto shut off when it came to a boil seemed at first to take a long time to boil and finally shut off.    I noticed one day when I was making tea it was just steaming up like crazy.  The pot had almost boiled dry.    The auto shut off switch malfunctioned.  It didn't shut off at all.  I had all the paperwork on the kettle and called them and reported it not only to them but also to the Consumer Safety group.  There was no recall on the kettle.  But Cuisinart sent me a brand new one and asked if I could send the old one back to them so they could test it.  The kettle was still under factory warranty and I'm glad they replaced it, but I hope no one else will have one somewhere that boils dry, overheats and may cause a fire. 

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »

I hope you remember to check your coffee pot next time you're at the lake.        A number of years ago, I bought a new bread machine and set it up with the timer when I went to bed.  I woke up to the smell of melting plastic.  The lid of my bread machine was melting!  About two months my Cuisinart stainless steel kettle that had an auto shut off when it came to a boil seemed at first to take a long time to boil and finally shut off.    I noticed one day when I was making tea it was just steaming up like crazy.  The pot had almost boiled dry.    The auto shut off switch malfunctioned.  It didn't shut off at all.  I had all the paperwork on the kettle and called them and reported it not only to them but also to the Consumer Safety group.  There was no recall on the kettle.  But Cuisinart sent me a brand new one and asked if I could send the old one back to them so they could test it.  The kettle was still under factory warranty and I'm glad they replaced it, but I hope no one else will have one somewhere that boils dry, overheats and may cause a fire. 

geez Muffers! that it terrible what happened to you with these appliances...scary to think of a fire that possibly could have happened!
We did not have that brand of coffee maker...we have a Mr. Coffee...it looks the same though..or pretty similar..

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.