April 25, 2024, 01:47:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kyron Horman, 7 years old PORTLAND, OR #1 6/5/10 - 6/30/10  (Read 566923 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/latest-on-search-for-missing-oregon-boy-kyron-horman
Latest on Search for Missing Oregon Boy Kyron Horman
June 13, 2010

Video by Mark Berman Opposing Views
(2 Hours Ago) in Society / Crime

The search has widened for missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman. He was last seen June 4th by his stepmother walking towards his classroom. Police call Kyron an "endangered missing child." Investigators, who officially declared the case a "criminal investigation" on Sunday, are asking for any video taken that day in and around the school and local community. MSNBC takes a look at the puzzling case:  (Video at link top of this page)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-52289-Portland-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2010m6d13-Kyron-Horman-Search-Aggressive-Search-for-7-YearOld
Missing Kyron Horman: learn more about who Kyron Horman is
June 13, 2010
Portland, Ore.-what is missing Kyron Horman about?  The 7 year-old Portland boy has been missing for 10 days and still no signs of finding him.  The search for second grader, Kyron Horman, is the largest in Oregon history and the relentless investigations into his disappearance continue aggressively. His family provided detailed answers that were read in a news conference given by Capt. Mike Shults of the Multnomah County Sheriff's office.  The video can be seen on OregonLive .

Capt. Mike Shults is leading the investigation and works closely with Kyron's family. He answered many questions the public wants to know about the little boy.  The main focus was on what type of child Kyron is.  What are his interests, his personality, what he does?  This gives further insight into what Kyron Horman is all about.

About missing Kyron Horman
- "a very loving child with warmth and enthusiasm"

"Kyron is very quiet and a very loving child..demonstrating warmth and enthusiasm for the people and activities that he loves," Capt. Shults read off a piece of paper.  "Some of the things that he enjoys are playing with his hot wheels cars, fishing, his art work, and playing with Bootsy and Ernie.  He loves to go on trips where he gets to fly on airplanes."

Capt. Shults explained "And I'll tell you Bootsy is the cat...more or less like a security cat, because every time I walk the property that cat is with me."  

Kaine Horman, Kyron's father, told Capt. Shults stories of Bootsy being at Kyron's side - walking to the bus stop with him and there when was dropped off to make sure he got home.

"Ernie is their canine in Medford and a sense of joy for him," Capt. Shults elaborated.

About missing Kyron Horman - "makes friends easily and a laugh that is infectious"

Kyron is the kind of kid everyone likes and is drawn to.  Capt. Shults read the following description of the missing 7 year-old at the news conference.

"Kyron easily makes friends with other kids his age.  He has a belly laugh that is infectious.  When you hear it, you can't help but laugh, too.  He is quick witted and makes any situation funny. He looks up to his big brothers and enjoys spending time with them.  They dance and rock out in the living room.  Kyron is the type of kid that can play by himself for hours or quickly become the center of attention with his family."

About missing Kyron Horman - "he wants to be a police detective and an investigator"

Capt. Shults prepared everyone for this answer when he said what Kyron wants to be when he grows up. "I did not answer this question before I ask it, so you must believe me here when I tell you this," Capt. Shults said with a slight smile. "He wants to be a police detective and an investigator. So that kid's a smart kid."

About missing Kyron Horman
- "looking forward to annual trips" this summer

"Kyron is looking forward to going to his annual trips, California spend time with his friends, a trip to Seaside for his birthday, he's going to go on a houseboat trip to Shasta Lake in August, and a Hellgate Jetboat Excursion in July.  He got a fishing pole for Christmas he's been practicing with in the back yard. So, he's been looking forward to the many camping and fishing trips."

About missing Kyron Horman - "excited about his red-eyed tree frog diorama" the morning he disappeared

Another question answered by Kyron's family was if Kyron was in a good mood in the morning he disappeared after the school's science fair.  Capt. Shults read from the page of writing, "He was very excited about his red-eyed tree frog diorama and his poster board that he and his dad has been working on.  Kyron is very proud of the project he worked on because he did a lot of the diorama himself."

If anyone has any information or tips on finding missing Kyron Horman, call 503-261-2847 or your nearest FBI office.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #322 on: June 13, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »

http://www.kptv.com/news/23886833/detail.html
June 13: Sheriff's Statement On Kyron Horman's Disappearance
June 13, 2010

The following are statements released by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office on June 13, 2010, in regards to the disappearance of Kyron Horman.

STATEMENT FROM CAPT. MONTE REISER:

Good afternoon. I am Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Captain Monte Reiser. We're here today with Kyron's family. Again, they are not prepared to answer questions today -- but they wanted to show their support for the ongoing operations.

Kyron's family has received a large shipment of Kyron's missing-person T-shirts that they would like to provide to the community. The shirts will be available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Hansen Building, located at 12240 NE Glisan Street in Portland, Oregon. T-shirts will be available at 3 p.m. today.

Also, Sheriff Dan Staton is going to make a statement shortly -- but I want to start with an update on the logistics of the search for Kyron.

We are on Day 10 of the search. As of this afternoon, the search-and-rescue crews will have completed the mission that we set out for them. And that mission was to search -- and in many cases search two or three or more times -- EVERY location of interest. That includes an extremely wide area of land around the school, around the home and the land in-between. It also includes a number of individual locations that have come up as a result of tips and investigative leads that we have been working.

We know that search-and-rescue crews have done an exceptional and very thorough job in difficult terrain and, at times, under extremely difficult circumstances. To that end, most of the search-and-rescue crews will be going home today.

We will keep a contingent of local search-and-rescue crews on call to respond to any tip or investigative lead that needs to be checked out.

All along, we have said that we are looking at the full spectrum of possibilities as to what may have happened to Kyron.

With the search-and-rescue mission completed at this time, we are moving operations toward the criminal investigative end of the spectrum. While we still are keeping all options open, it is a natural progression to move the overall focus to a criminal case.

As part of that shift, you will start to see the day-to-day operations of this investigation move from the Skyline location to the Sheriff's Office Hansen Building headquarters (12240 NE Glisan).

It is very important to us that family and friends of Kyron -- as well as the public -- know that our commitment and resources are unwavering.

This shift will give our investigators better access to the needed administrative and technical support that was available -- but more challenging -- at Skyline. We will make this a gradual process that you will see happening over the next few days to ensure that we don't interrupt ongoing work.

I'd now like to introduce Sheriff Staton, who has an announcement regarding this investigation.

STATEMENT FROM SHERIFF DAN STATON:

Good afternoon. Today, I'd like to announce the establishment of a reward of up to $25,000, offered via the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. This reward is offered in return for SPECIFIC information that leads us to Kyron.

We have said many times over the past 10 days that we need your tips. It is oftentimes the smallest detail -- something that may seem inconsequential to you -- that is the piece of the puzzle we need to crack this open. If you saw or heard something unusual or know anything about Kyron, give our investigators a call or send us an email.

We have said this many times before: There may be one nugget of information out of a thousand in those tips ... but we need your help in finding it. If you have information, but aren't sure of its value, give us a call and let our investigators evaluate it and decide.

As I stand here before you, I want to once again thank everyone who has helped us in this extraordinary case -- from the search-and-rescue crews slogging through ravines of mud to the investigators from virtually every law-enforcement agency in the region who have responded to our calls for help. These folks -- many with kids of their own -- have come to our side as we work with a singular goal of bringing Kyron home.

I know that the public has a very keen interest in knowing every detail of Kyron's disappearance, and I appreciate that. But, as Capt. Reiser said, we are now classifying this as a criminal investigation. Because of that, there are still a number of details that we cannot get into with regards to what we are doing and how we are doing it. We can take a few limited questions -- but please know that when we don't answer your question, we believe it is in the best overall interest of the case.

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #323 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »

I feel so deflated this evening that this is going to end like the countless others on this board. I pray to God this story will have a happy ending.

I don't know what else to do, so at times like this I will do what I always do and just pray. I believe so strongly in the power of prayer. Regardless of your religious faith, please tonight, ask for Gods (or whom ever your pray to) grace on this child and to bring him home safe and sound.

Please God grant this mircle I ask of you tonight. Please bring Kyron home to the waiting arms of his family. God they love him so much and need him home. We are all so worried for this child. Please God wrap your loving light around Kyron and his family, protect them from harm and comfort their hearts. Please God I beg of you to hear my prayer. In your loving and graceful name I pray, Amen
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #324 on: June 14, 2010, 12:26:16 AM »

I feel so deflated this evening that this is going to end like the countless others on this board. I pray to God this story will have a happy ending.

I don't know what else to do, so at times like this I will do what I always do and just pray. I believe so strongly in the power of prayer. Regardless of your religious faith, please tonight, ask for Gods (or whom ever your pray to) grace on this child and to bring him home safe and sound.

Please God grant this mircle I ask of you tonight. Please bring Kyron home to the waiting arms of his family. God they love him so much and need him home. We are all so worried for this child. Please God wrap your loving light around Kyron and his family, protect them from harm and comfort their hearts. Please God I beg of you to hear my prayer. In your loving and graceful name I pray, Amen
Amen, Tracy!! Thank you for this prayer and I will continue to pray as well for Kyron's safe return.

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2010, 04:11:35 AM »

Deenie, I read your post and wanted to respond to you with a great big hug ((((((((hug)))))))) you are a sweet person who will someday find great rewards for your kindness. Bless you

I Love You Back - I want you to know TG that Nevaeh was on the front page of the Detroit News Today - Free Press. That she IS Not Forgotten.
Link for You
http://www.freep.com/article/20100613/FEATURES01/6130459/One-year-later-Who-killed-Nevaeh-Buchanan?-
xoxo

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2010, 04:40:49 AM »

I have to believe that there is humanity within all of us. I have never found the Step-Mom on my Hinkey meter. I think its too easy to poke at her and create her to be the scape goat. 

I think that someone was watching Kyron and or his family - or had special interest of some sort ..that they took Kyron for ???
People are victims for reasons. Reasons that most of us will never understand. People who are sick in the head - latch on to " unknown individuals or even known people and stalk their patterns of day to day doings".. so then we find ourselves here. With Kyron missing. Someone knew his patterns of life, his family. Someone that was paying very close attention ..for reason of ??

I do not believe that this was random. I do think that this was planned and the science fair / talent show was the " IN" for whoever was watching Kyron's family and or him as a child.

Its just so disturbing. All of it. 

Wyks .. I hope you do not mind, but I wrote down your email addy. I am going to send you nanners soon.

I have a feeling though that LE/FBI know something and not willing to say. That it will cause mass hysteria within the parents of Kyron's community.  jmo.

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #327 on: June 14, 2010, 04:51:47 AM »

Adding that the FBI have put Kyron on their website is very telling. Just like when Lindsey Baum was added to the site " Interpol" many months after her being Missing.
Someone knows something within Federal investigations ... 

So many Children are reported missing and not found within weeks - yet, for them to be put on the FBI website is ' quite the mention' that this is not a parental issue, nor related - Nor Small Time within who is responsible for Kyron's disappearance.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted.htm
Kyron is Front Page of the FBI " ENDANGERED MISSING PERSON" as of less than 24 hours ago.

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2010, 06:13:56 AM »

My last two cents of thoughts. If they would have issued a Amber Alert on Kyron within the hour he was " Missing" possibly we would not be at this standstill - as we find it today. We all know the rules, must be a vehicle noticed with a license plate. I say Grrr. For a Amber Alert to be issued. I just feel that if the local law enforcement would have issued his Photo- His Info- His all of everything - as a AMBER Alert - he could be already safe and home.

The Amber Alert System is put into place for a reason. For notification of a Missing child. This Child is Missing " Have You Seen this child" its imperative within the first few hours that this go out. They created a B.O.L.O Alert under the Amber Alert.
Be on the lookout for - such Child. Why did they not issue a BOLO Alert on Kyron. 
I don't understand the formalities of the red tape. Kyron is not 12, he is not a tween. He is 7 yrs old. He is not a endangered runaway at this point. ( as in ) He didn't have his homies pick him up and take him to a safe haven .. because he was not happy at home. 

I searched all over the net for the description or Law set for a B.O.L.O - came up with nothing. I did find that the FBI uses the term of BOLO for Terrorists ..
http://search.fbi.gov/search?site=my_collection&output=xml_no_dtd&client=my_collection&proxystylesheet=my_collection&q=BOLO&submit22.x=0&submit22.y=0

Thinking of Stories I have read in the news of a child " attempted to be taken by a perp" say at a major dept store/or store - the Parents notify security and they/store respond by shutting the store down - lock all the doors. Nine times out of ten the child is recovered inside the store - That is called immediate reaction. That is what was lacking in Kyron's School .. not that it would have helped at that moment, unless someone realized he was " not around" ...  seems within all the reports NO One found him " out of place". NO One thought it was strange he was not accounted for within the day till it was too late. He was initially inside the school at one time...Who dropped the ball ? ( Not saying the school is solely responsible for him going poof) But WHO seriously dropped the Ball that this child was unaccounted for and that NO one called HOME early in the day to Check ?? Was Kyron picked up without us/school knowing? The speculation that the Step Mom said he had an appointment or whatever is mute at this point.

I understand that his school was very small and with little technology of reporting children absent etc. * I find it to be just what it is an excuse.  I know though, as a parent, that if I did not call into the office school within a certain time in the early am ( My Daughter being ill ) .. They would call me. They were not nice about it either. They would Demand WHY is your child not in school?  I find it messed up that he was recorded IN at one point and then not known after that. Did someone come and get him and sign him out - Did his teacher take a Minute to go find that out? Since he was once there and then not in her class? She could have taken a moment to find that out, I would think. Science Fair and Talent show ... set aside. If you have a child in your room and he is accounted for am - and then you do not see him after that ?? Are you kidding me?

Mid Day..NO one called his Parents. No one made the assumption something was wrong .. just to make a welfare check -call to ask.  Something just doesn't add up. The school was not huge (space wise/enrollment) by any means - to me would scream " all the children were known by staff" being it so small. The Kids are to come first and they were the Noted of the day within their contributions of Science Fair and Talent show. They all worked very hard for their contributions. The Talent show I am sure had a plan within it - who was to go on and etc ..  that the kids worked hard to create the show and someone was in charge of it.  Why was Kyron not noticed " missing" at any point, prior to the end of the school day?

Skyline Elementary School Rated by Parents -
Link: http://www.fresno.schools.net/school/parentReviews.page?id=927&state=OR

Snipped Parent from 2007 -
 We love Skyline.There are many e/c activities to choose from: soccer, basketball, baseball, music, Science, Scouts, Outdoor Club, etc.The teachers, staff, and parents are all extremely dedicated to the education/well being of our kids. When you look around at Skyline, the kids are happy and accepting of eachother. The teachers know everyone's names, and your child doesn't get lost in the crowd like at a larger school. We chose to live here because Skyline is our neighborhood school.
Submitted by a parent
--
?

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #329 on: June 14, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_wraps_up_a.html
(video)
Kyron Horman search wraps up as disappearance case now moves to criminal investigation
June 13, 2010

A massive search for a 7-year-old boy ended quietly Sunday as rescue teams from around the region wrapped up their tasks and headed home, unable to uncover any sign of second-grader Kyron Horman after 10 days.
The case -- which had centered on locating a missing child -- is now a criminal investigation with an offer of a $25,000 reward for tips that lead to finding him.

Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton vowed to keep looking.

"We will be continuing this investigation. It is not going to stop, and I am not going to cease in dedicating resources to locating Kyron," Staton said, choking up several times.
The boy vanished from Skyline School on June 4. He had visited his red-eyed tree frog exhibit with his stepmother at the science fair about 8 a.m. He wasn't reported missing until that afternoon, when she called the school to say he had not been on the bus.

Kyron's disappearance stunned this rural part of northwest Multnomah County. His face -- with a toothy grin and little eyeglasses -- now graces T-shirts, fliers, overpass banners and websites with the word "missing."

Authorities have given no information about what they think might have happened to Kyron, described as sweet, timid and a little bit dreamy.

"He's our boy, and he's gone," said a teary Vickie Coghill, who manages the Brooks Hill Historic Church, where reporters and camera crews have camped out across the street from Skyline since the disappearance.

The search for Kyron has become one of the largest in the state's history, with more than 1,300 people from across Oregon, Washington and Northern California fanning out over a two-mile radius around the school. The area is wooded, hilly and filled with fields of tall grass.

Searchers also have focused on Sauvie Island, about a 6-mile drive from the rescue base camp on Northwest Quarry Road near the school.

The case now will shift to the Multnomah County sheriff's administrative office in outer Northeast Portland. Officials called the change a "natural progression," given that searchers have scoured the immediate area and "every location of interest."

The crews "have done an exceptional and very thorough job in difficult terrain and, at times, under extremely difficult circumstances," said sheriff's Capt. Monte Reiser . "To that end, most of the search-and-rescue crews will be going home."

Local search-and-rescue crews will remain on call to follow up on any tip or lead in the investigation that needs checking, he said.

Kyron's family understands and supports the change, the sheriff said. He's not downsizing the investigation, only the search portion, he said.

The family made only its second public appearance Sunday. The boy's mother and stepmother, father and stepfather lined up behind Staton, next to a blown-up photo of Kyron, but did not speak and took no question at a news conference.

Kyron's stepmother, Terri Horman, who was the last family member to see him on June 4, gripped the hand of the boy's mother, Desiree Young. Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, had his arm around his wife.

Authorities have released few details, declining to say where they were searching and why. They wouldn't say why they decided to classify the case as a criminal investigation. Capt. Jason Gates declined to say whether authorities are considering Kyron's disappearance a kidnapping.

As the operation ratcheted back, about 210 searchers went out Sunday, many of them spotted at Sauvie Island again. They were on foot and on horses; some were delivered to the island by TriMet buses.
At the base camp, Linn County Deputy Sheriff Joe Larsen said he and a team of four deputies and 14 high school volunteers from Albany arrived Saturday and took part in three separate search assignments, through steep terrain, underbrush and blackberry bushes.

Larsen showed the insides of his arms covered in scratches. "It's nasty stuff," he said.

The sheriff's office also made available dozens of T-shirts that Kyron's family had printed, bearing his photo and statistics. Their hope is to keep his image in the public eye.

Patrick Castro, 47, was among the first to snap up one of the free shirts.

He doesn't have children, but he said he wants to do all he can to get the word out about Kyron. The Northeast Portland resident plans to wear his shirt to work today.

"This spreads the word even more," he said. "This allows people who are away from the television, who don't have a computer or who didn't read the newspaper to see someone wearing a T-shirt with this little boy. Any attention is important."

The decision to power down the search came on a sun-dappled day when bicyclists and joggers shared roads with searchers on Sauvie Island. Back at the church and school, it was quiet for most of the day, save for the occasional bird song and whir of cyclists.

After an afternoon news briefing, church building manager Coghill kissed her fingers and planted them on the photo of Kyron.

"Every morning I say a prayer and give him a kiss and give him an 'attaboy,'" she said.

Another church nearby had the same idea. Its sign out front had just three words:

"Pray for Kyron."

To help
T-shirts available: About 100 T-shirts with Kyron Horman's picture are available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Hansen Building, 12240 N.E. Glisan Street in Portland.

Video footage: The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office is seeking video of traffic on 15 Portland roads taken June 3 and June 4, the day Kyron Horman disappeared. Call the search tip line and leave your contact information and the location or street address where you took the footage. The streets: Northwest Cornelius Pass Road, Northwest Germantown Road, Northwest Logie Trail Road, Northwest Rocky Point Road, Northwest Skyline Road, Northwest 185th Avenue, Northwest West Union Road, Northwest Springville Road, Bethany Boulevard, Northwest Newberry Road, Northwest McNamee Road, U.S. 30 between Northwest Rocky Point Road to Northwest Germantown Road, Northwest Kaiser Road, Northwest Thompson Road, Northwest Laidlaw Road.

Tip line: 503-261-2847
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:37:20 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

pamomma
Scared Monkey

« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »

Kyron Horman search may have suffered from confluence of delays
Published: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 8:00 PM     Updated: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 8:23 PM
Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian

On the morning Kyron Horman was last seen, he was Skyline School's resident expert on red-eyed tree frogs at the school science fair. Then the second-grader vanished and was gone nearly seven hours before anyone noticed.

Kyron's stepmother met the school bus about 3:30 p.m. but the bespectacled 7-year-old wasn't aboard. She called Skyline and the school secretary called 9-1-1. During the next 4 1/2 hours, authorities mobilized a full-scale search effort involving federal agents who specialize in child abduction cases.

But by then it was almost nightfall. Time had long become the enemy.

"This investigation really got going eight to 12 hours after it should have," said Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI profiler and Virginia-based security consultant. "Whatever happened to this little boy, by the time authorities really geared up, they were 12 hours behind the power curve.

"That is a long time to be behind in a case like this," he said.

A confluence of factors meant searchers lost key hours:  The initial report was given the "lOfficials at Skyline School didn't notify the boy's parents after realizing he was absent.owest priority" rating by emergency dispatchers. Rush-hour traffic on Friday evening delayed arrival of trained searchers, who gathered first at the Multnomah County Sheriff's patrol office in outer Northeast Portland, then traveled to the site. Getting to the school and Kyron's neighborhood, in the rural northwestern corner of Multnomah County, took more than a half-hour.

And though news organizations reported late Friday that Kyron was missing, authorities didn't issue a full press release until the following morning.

Once notified, Multnomah County authorities responded swiftly but critical hours already had been lost, Sheriff Dan Staton said.

"This is what is hugely disturbing to me," he told The Oregonian Saturday. "The fact that you had a child in school and the last time the child was seen is at 9 in the morning – there are concerns about that lag time. If the child had walked away from the school, the likelihood of finding him under those circumstances would have been extremely high.

"After five hours," the sheriff said, "you know as well as I do how far a child could walk on a roadway."

Across the country each year, 115 children on average are abducted by strangers or an acquaintance, according to a 2008 report by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Most are found within hours. But a quarter of abducted children are killed. The center's statistics showed that 76 percent of those children die within three hours of being kidnapped.

Though rare, all missing children investigations share an essential element: time.

"Valuable hours were lost because, frankly, no one knew where (Kyron) was," said Bob Lowery, a former homicide commander in the Midwest and executive director of the missing children division of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Added Van Zandt: "As time goes on, it becomes more critical and the potential for some harm to come to this child is greater."

Skyline School officials first realized there was a problem after the school day had ended. Kyron's stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, said the boy wasn't on the school bus.

School secretary Susan Hall called 9-1-1 at 3:56 p.m. That triggered a page to Portland Public Schools security.

At some point that day, Kyron's teacher had marked the boy absent – district officials refuse to say when – but that didn't prompt a call home because Skyline School lacked an automatic notification policy. That has since changed.

Staton said dispatchers at the Bureau of Emergency Communications classified the call from Skyline as "lowest priority." Dispatchers generally classify calls based on who's calling, what information they provide, whether there is an indication of danger or a medical issue.

Within minutes, Portland police and Multnomah County sheriff's deputies were dispatched. About a half-hour passed before they pulled up to the school and the Horman home, about 2 1/2 miles from the school.

The official search for Kyron began at 4:33 p.m.

Among those responding were a sergeant, a police dog and about eight Portland officers. They searched around the school, hoping the shy boy had gone home with someone he knew. Staton said even before certified searchers arrived, police had searched the school, many of the main roads and the boy's home.

On any given day, kids don't ride the bus when they should, prompting parents to call their school, said Matt Shelby, spokesman for the school district.

"Nine times out of 10 they're found within the hour or so," he said.

But police found no trace of Kyron.

Shortly after 5:30 p.m., school authorities alerted parents through an automated phone message.

"Kyron Horman did not arrive at home today," the message said.

The alert was intended for Skyline parents, but it went out to other parents, too. Anyone who'd seen Kyron was asked to call police.

"The only thing we knew is that he was missing," Shelby said.

The sheriff's office began calling trained searchers at 5:30 p.m. The first search teams arrived at 8:09 p.m. The search and rescue coordinator, Deputy Mark Herron, arrived at 8:25 p.m.

Among those who got a call that night was sheriff's Sgt. Travis Gullberg, a search and rescue coordinator.

"We've got a scenario developing," Detective Sgt. Lee Gosson told him.

Sometime between 7 and 7:45 p.m., Staton personally called the FBI. He said the circumstances – Kyron disappeared from school on a busy morning – prompted him to ask for help from the feds.

"I wanted them involved because the last time this child was seen was inside a school," he said. "This was not a child walking away from their home or getting lost in the woods. This is a child who got lost inside a school with faculty there. That was the last time the child was seen."

The bureau pulled in agents from across the country. Two who would help with the technical aspect arrived that night. Another set of agents with expertise in missing-child cases landed at midnight. More joined Saturday morning.

By then, Kyron had been gone for 24 hours.

While local news organizations heard reports about a possible missing child over their police scanners, and began trying to sort out what was going on, official public notification of the media was slow and sketchy.

Portland school officials didn't issue a press release that afternoon, and the public information officer for the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office only learned of the investigation some time that night between 7 and 7:15.

About an hour later, a sheriff's official met some reporters at Skyline School and released a photo of the boy, but the agency issued its first official news release on the investigation about 9 a.m. the next day.

Staton said his agency responded quickly to Kyron's disappearance.

"For the location of the school," Staton said, "this is a really good response time, especially when you are talking about a Friday, the time of day, rushing through traffic to get out here."

The FBI often volunteers personnel when children vanish. But the bureau does not consider itself a first responder in such emergencies, FBI spokeswoman Beth Anne Steele said.

"Relatively speaking," she said, "we were notified very early in the process."

It's been more than a week since Kyron's stepmother saw him walk toward his classroom in Skyline School after the pair toured the school science fair and admired Kyron's tree frog project. Investigators now characterize Kyron as a missing and endangered child.

The investigation, in its 10th day Sunday, is one of the largest ever overseen by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office and has included more than 500 searchers.

But Van Zandt said the likelihood that Kyron wandered out of the school, got hurt and is awaiting rescue is fading.

"The chances are getting slimmer and slimmer that that is what happened to him and that he could ... survive," Van Zandt said.

The moment an adult took note that Kyron wasn't at school Friday, an effort to locate him should have been set in motion, he said.

"And within an hour instead of 12 hours," he said, "this case would have been moving."
Kimberly A.C. Wilson, Bryan Denson and Stuart Tomlinson contributed to this report.

-- Noelle Crombie

-- Kimberly A.C. Wilson, Bryan Denson and Stuart Tomlinson contributed to this report.

MY EDITORIAL RANT:  It is absolutely inexcusable that the teacher noticed Kyron was absent, saw his backpack and jacket, yet did nothing.  And don't blame it on lack of an automated notification process.  Last time I checked, telephones can still be manually dialed.  This child was entrusted into the care of the teachers, which stand in loco parentis, and they failed him, whatever the outcome.  Sad, so very very sad.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_may_have_s.html

I'm I the only one TOTALLY disturbed by that statement??  In a school of that size (the exact size of the one in our town, so I do have some perspective) this happens all the time?  What the heck??  Our kids are required to have a note from a parent and signed by the principal to leave school any way except their normal way...and the bus drivers know when a child gets on that isn't normally on the bus....I realize this doesn't have anything really to do with Kyron's disappearance, I just think it's a totally ludicrous statement, and shows this schools total lack of vigilance for its students!!!  *getting off my soapbox now!*
pamomma
Scared Monkey

« Reply #331 on: June 14, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »

Okay, finally caught up on the weekend posts.

As many of you, I'm also feeling so disappointed Kyron is still not found, and that the investigation has turned "criminal" instead of the a missing person. 

I also noticed that the statement from the family responding to questions said (paraphrased) Kyron and his Dad worked on the project, after Terri had written on her page the she had helped him...realistically, the both probably did, it looked very detailed and involved, and I know when our kids have things like that due, my husband and I both help at one point or another.  I wonder if they made a point of mentioning Dad b/c we have heard all about Terri taking him to the school, Terri walking around the science Fair, Terri helping with his project, and I for one was wondering...where was his Dad in all this?  And his Bio-Mom for that matter...I realize she lived far away, but this may have been their chance to point out that Dad was around too.

For the record I don't think ANY of his parents had anything to do with this.  And I'm agreeing with Tracey that something about the teacher is making me very suspicious.  Either she thought he had an appointment or she thought he was in the bathroom...which one is it?? Because you can't think both.

Okay...just my thoughts from the weekend's developments...hoping Kyron is found soon. 
pamomma
Scared Monkey

« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »

Sorry....found this on the Mulnomah Co Sherif site.  They provide a timeline:

1)What time was 9-1-1 called?
Answer: BOEC received call at 1556 (3:56 p.m.).  Dispatched to police units at 1559 (3:59 p.m.).

2)When did the first officers arrive on scene?
Answer: Portland Police Bureau and Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office units arrived at 1633 (4:33 p.m.) simultaneously at Skyline school and Kyron’s home.

3)Who made the call?
Answer: Skyline School secretary Susan Hall.

4)What time was FBI notified?
Answer: Between 2030 (8:30 p.m.) and 2050 (8:50 p.m.).

5)When did Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office notify media?
Answer: Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office PIO was notified between 1900 (7:00 p.m.) and 1915 (7:15 p.m.) while providing a tour at the Multnomah County Justice Center.  PIO returned pages from media and told them to meet PIO in the area of the school.  PIO arrived at 2015 (8:15 p.m.), met with present media and provided them with Kyron’s photo.  This was followed up by the PIO emailing photo to Portland TV and Oregonlive.

Is it normal for the FBI to be called in so soon?  It appears they were called 4 hours after the police were called?  I'm grateful they were, for Kyron and his family's sake...it just seemed strange to me they were involved so quickly....makes me think there is DEFINITELY more to this story than we know
pamomma
Scared Monkey

« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »

snip....

On any given day, kids don't ride the bus when they should, prompting parents to call their school, said Matt Shelby, spokesman for the school district.

"Nine times out of 10 they're found within the hour or so," he said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_may_have_s.html

I'm I the only one TOTALLY disturbed by that statement??  In a school of that size (the exact size of the one in our town, so I do have some perspective) this happens all the time?  What the heck??  Our kids are required to have a note from a parent and signed by the principal to leave school any way except their normal way...and the bus drivers know when a child gets on that isn't normally on the bus....I realize this doesn't have anything really to do with Kyron's disappearance, I just think it's a totally ludicrous statement, and shows this schools total lack of vigilance for its students!!!  *getting off my soapbox now!*

Clarifying the "statement" I was referring too
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »

Sorry....found this on the Mulnomah Co Sherif site.  They provide a timeline:

1)What time was 9-1-1 called?
Answer: BOEC received call at 1556 (3:56 p.m.).  Dispatched to police units at 1559 (3:59 p.m.).

2)When did the first officers arrive on scene?
Answer: Portland Police Bureau and Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office units arrived at 1633 (4:33 p.m.) simultaneously at Skyline school and Kyron’s home.

3)Who made the call?
Answer: Skyline School secretary Susan Hall.

4)What time was FBI notified?
Answer: Between 2030 (8:30 p.m.) and 2050 (8:50 p.m.).

5)When did Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office notify media?
Answer: Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office PIO was notified between 1900 (7:00 p.m.) and 1915 (7:15 p.m.) while providing a tour at the Multnomah County Justice Center.  PIO returned pages from media and told them to meet PIO in the area of the school.  PIO arrived at 2015 (8:15 p.m.), met with present media and provided them with Kyron’s photo.  This was followed up by the PIO emailing photo to Portland TV and Oregonlive.

Is it normal for the FBI to be called in so soon?  It appears they were called 4 hours after the police were called?  I'm grateful they were, for Kyron and his family's sake...it just seemed strange to me they were involved so quickly....makes me think there is DEFINITELY more to this story than we know

There could be a variety of reasons the FBI was called in basically immediately, but it is standard to alert them in the event there is a possible kidnapping, and given how close this area borders Washington, it would be a crossing state line issue.  Kyron's step dad is a detective, he or they, may very well have just requested their assisstance. However, I think the primary reason is for resources and technology that this size PD just did not have access to, and I think it is awesome they did this.
pamomma
Scared Monkey

« Reply #335 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »

Thank you Blink!  I'm relatively new at this and wasn't sure what was a "normal" time frame for calling them in.  I'm also very glad they did, glad that they recognized this is a case they were not prepared to handle alone and put finding Kyron ahead of any "turf" squabble.   
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #336 on: June 14, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »

<snipped from an article upthread>

He looks up to his big brothers and enjoys spending time with them.  They dance and rock out in the living room.

~~~

brothers?  as in plural?  as in more than one?  did we know kyron has two big brothers?  perhaps i need to read more carefully, cuz the last i read, he has one older brother and one younger sister.  probably a moot point as many others have become now, but still interesting to know, i think.  wonder how old, who he lives with, how they get along, where he was on friday? 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #337 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »

There could be a variety of reasons the FBI was called in basically immediately, but it is standard to alert them in the event there is a possible kidnapping, and given how close this area borders Washington, it would be a crossing state line issue.  Kyron's step dad is a detective, he or they, may very well have just requested their assisstance. However, I think the primary reason is for resources and technology that this size PD just did not have access to, and I think it is awesome they did this.

Ahhh Blink, there you are!  Smile  Another monkey was wondering about something, so am hoping that you'll see this, I'll ask it for her here. 

Kyron's stepdad being a detective.. Is it possible that what happened with Kyron may be some sort of retaliation from someone the stepdad had perhaps worked with/arrested in the past? 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

I remember reading (I will have to figure out where I saw this) that Kyron's StepDad is a LE officer. I think it was said that he was involved in prosecuting several "gang" related crimes/mexican mafia. I do not know this as fact but I will try to go back and find where I read this. Anyone else see anything like that?
The reason I bring this up is may be this is a retaliation crime against biomom and Step Dad.
Also, we know who Terri's Mom and Dad is. Do we know anything about Dad's immediate family?

bumping for Blink.........

And here's another.  Smile  Would love to run this past you for your opinion. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »

Hi Wyks!!,

Thank you so much for the insight and giving me more info on the cult scene. I am so intrigued and scared what I may learn at the same time. I love your passion and drive to not be silenced about this. Hugs>>> to you! I know it must take a lot out of you to discuss these issues. They say God has a plan for each of us, maybe this is his plan for you, to be that advocate for those children.

Hi Cartfly!

You're welcome!  and thanks for the <hugs> back to you!  Thank you also for your kind words, that means much to me.  Smile  It was harder at first for me (and other survivors) to talk about this at first.  Yet I've been a public speaker on this so many times, that by now it's just like getting up, getting ready for the day, talking about this stuff, doing chores, etc.  Not that it's become routine perse, but that talking about it has become so much easier now.  Am used to the folks who stare, then turn away.  So be it, they don't wanna hear the truth, and/or it's not their time to become aware.  Smile  I definitely believe that we survivors need to be advocates for the children and adults who are helpless.  Adults? you may ask?  Yes.. Many are caught up in this, who have no way of escape, no hope. 

Interesting and horrifying at the same time, is the topic of one of Blink's last articles... about the Boy Scouts of America, and what has been 'hushed up' regarding the leader/s, and if opening those files would help find Kyron. 

The BSA is a huge organization, for them to hush this up as well as a church, another huge organization.. to not let parents become aware of the very evil in their children's midst.. is IMO a travesty of justice!!  Years years and years have gone by, countless more victims, more lives torn to shreds.  Folks who do know, turning their heads and doing nothing.  And for what?  So that the sick and disgusting perps can cover their @sses, so that the public doesn't get 'alarmed'.  Well I say it's high-time to ALARM THE PUBLIC!!  Everyone has the right to know what is actually happening, right under their noses.  Especially parents, who entrust their children, unknowingly, to the care of someone who in reality, is a disgusting perv. 

Who knows if someone like this was able to grab Kyron that day.  Won't know unless/until LE starts looking at this possibility as well.  Which they very well might be doing right now. 

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/06/13/kyron-horman-missing-and-endangered-would-opening-boy-scout-perv-files-help-find-him/ 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.