April 19, 2024, 04:08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy Dean Dies at the Age of 81 1928-2010 RIP  (Read 3810 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 13, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »

http://www.wtvr.com/news/jimmy-dean-dead,0,5856476.story
Jimmy Dean Dies at The Age of 81
His wife Donna tells CBS 6 Jimmy Dean died of natural causes Sunday night.
June 13, 2010

Central Virginia - Jimmy Dean dies at the age of 81.

The country music legend, singer, television host, actor, and businessman died Sunday night inside his Henrico home overlooking the James River.

His wife, Donna spoke to CBS 6 this evening. She was grieving and said the following:

"I definitely need my privacy right now, and am not available for interviews. My husband died of natural causes, and funeral services are pending".

Stay with the CBS 6 for the latest on the web and on the air, tonight at 11.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/2010-06-13-jimmy-dean-obit_N.htm
Jimmy Dean, country singer and sausage king, dies
June 13, 2010

Country singer and sausage entrepreneur Jimmy Dean, who gained fame with his hit Big Bad John, died Sunday. He was 81.

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Jimmy Dean, a country music legend for his smash hit about a workingman hero, Big Bad John, and an entrepreneur known for his sausage brand, has died. He was 81.

His wife, Donna Meade Dean, says her husband died at 7:54 p.m. Sunday at their Henrico County, Va., home, south of Richmond.

She tells The Associated Press that he had some health problems but was still functioning well, so his death came as a shock.

Born in 1928, Dean was raised in poverty in Plainview, Texas, and dropped out of high school after the ninth grade. But he went on to a successful entertainment career in the '50s and '60s.

In 1969, Dean went into the sausage business, starting the Jimmy Dean Meat Co. He sold the company to Sara Lee Corp. in 1984.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CS3ErDN50Qk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CS3ErDN50Qk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nOXQr9u8bBk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nOXQr9u8bBk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:43:28 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXvwgNVhz88&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TXvwgNVhz88&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:45:27 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-IZ6yUXgIo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/F-IZ6yUXgIo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 11:57:19 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/13/entertainment/main6579196.shtml?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

Jimmy Dean Dies at Virginia Home

Country Singer and TV Host Had Been Retired From Show Business For Several Years
June 13, 2010

CBS)   Country music singer and business entrepreneur Jimmy Dean has died at the age of 81.

The country music legend, singer, television host, actor, and businessman died Sunday night inside his Henrico (Va.) home overlooking the James River, reports CBS station WTVR in Richmond.

The station spoke with Dean's wife, Donna, Sunday night. She was grieving and said the following:

"I definitely need my privacy right now, and am not available for interviews. My husband died of natural causes, and funeral services are pending".

Donna Dean told the station her husband died at 7:54 p.m. Sunday night.

Four months ago, Dean, who had a number one hit "Big Bad John" in 1961, was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Dean started his musical career touring with his band, The Texas Wildcats and in the 1960s hosted his own variety show, "The Jimmy Dean Show." His career included talk show and game show appearances and an acting stint in the James Bond movie "Diamonds Are Forever."

In 1969, he and his brother Don founded the Jimmy Dean Sausage Company, which they sold in 1984, to what is now the Sara Lee Corp. Dean remained as spokesperson for the company until 2004.

In 2004, he published a memoir titled "30 Years of Sausage, 50 Years of Ham."

He has three children and two grandchildren.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:02:23 AM »

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/jimmy-dean-song-and-sausage
Jimmy Dean: Of song and sausage
June 13, 2010

This story was originally published Dec. 13, 1999

JIMMY DEAN'S 71, HE'S GOT A PILE OF MONEY AND HE'S HAVING A GOOD TIME AS HE AND HIS WIFE WAIT TO SEE IF THEIR "VIRGINIA" BECOMES OUR NEW STATE SONG.

By Lon Wagner

Jimmy Dean is “Jimmy Dean.”

He lives this side of Richmond, on a 200-acre spread along the James River, with his wife, Donna Meade Dean. They like to sit around in the evenings, look at the river and say, ``Ain't that pretty.'They dock their 110-foot yacht down below. It's named after his 1961 Grammy-winning song, ``Big Bad John.'

He wears a big ol' belt buckle with the Jimmy Dean foods logo on it. The cowboy-boot shaped J is formed with diamonds and the D tucked up against it is, too.

He'll pull that off his belt, hand it over and say, ``That may be the only $35,000 belt buckle you've seen in your life.'

“It's just a little ol' west Texas gawd, that's what I say.”

“I always say, `Gawd is good,'” his wife says.

He's got a Beemer parked out front with tags that read “SSG KING,” as in Sausage King.

Jimmy Dean's 71, he's got a pile of money, and he's having a good time. It's been a while since he made his money singing, but he and Donna wrote a tune that's a finalist to become the new state song.

That means they've been campaigning, with shoe leather and gasoline, singing ``Virginia' at just about any school, church or club that'll have them. The big media boys have been after them, trying to run down the Deans for donating campaign funds to a state senator on the song subcommittee.

They made it sound like bribery. Now, why would a world-famous songwriter have to bribe somebody to like his music?

They act like it's a crime that he's a professional. Like it's unfair that he's got all this.

Like something's wrong with being Jimmy Dean.

Being Jimmy Dean, country music star, folk character, sausage pitchman, has served the man well.

He looks the part. He's 6 foot 3 inches tall and stands an inch taller when he's wearing cowboy boots, which is often. He's thin, has blue eyes, gray-streaked hair and when he smiles his mouth curls up on one side like he's about to crack a funny.

He repeats wisdoms on many subjects, one of which is tangling with the media: ``They say the worst thing a reporter can do is quote you.'

Jimmy Dean ignores that one. Instead, he leans on what his Granddaddy used to say: “Jimmy, be yourself, because if somebody doesn't like you, they're not going to like somebody you're trying to be.”

So if he's got something to say, he says it. Then and there. If he thinks something's funny, he laughs. Either a short, sharp “HA!” or a double “Haha” or a high-pitched “Hee-hee.”

Donna talks right through these interjections as the Deans sit in their living room a few days before Thanksgiving chatting about their entry in the state song sweepstakes.

Jimmy had written a song called “Varina, Dear Old Varina” as an alma mater for the local high school. The Deans have adopted the school and have donated more than $200,000 over the past couple years.

They were at Donna family's house one day and sang the song. Donna's brother thought it was good and could be more than a school song. Later that night, Donna had a migraine, couldn't sleep and the lyrics for “Virginia” started to come to her.

She wrote them in about half an hour.

“The next day I sang them for Jimmy,” Donna says, “because when you've got a Grammy award-winning songwriter…”

`’Ha! That's me.'”

“. . . in the house you do kind of ask their opinion. He sort of fine-tuned my efforts…”

“I didn't do hardly a damn thing with those, but I tell you what, you're going to go a long way before you find better writing than ‘The Mother of the Fathers of our country.’ That is some line. I would've claimed it in a minute.”

Donna had a successful country music career before she met Jimmy, but “Virginia” is the first song they wrote together. She describes it as “simple, memorable and sing-alongable.”

“Haha, she coined another word.”

And yes, they did donate $1,750 to state Sen. Stephen Martin, a member of the song committee. Jimmy says they donated money to him before they wrote the song, after they wrote it and they'll give him some more as long as he keeps doing good things for Virginia.

Donna calls herself a “Demopublican,” and Jimmy says he's a “Republicrat.” They support politicians who do a good job, regardless.

“Now, Jimmy's good friends with George Bush, George Herbert Walker Bush,” Donna says. “But when Ross Perot came along, Jimmy calls George Bush and says, ‘I'm sorry, but I have to go with the person I think is gonna do the best job.’ And he did, he went with Ross Perot.”

“Then that little pantywaist dropped out,” Jimmy says.

Jimmy Dean made his name singing country music, then used that fame to open other doors.

He was born poor in Plainview, Texas, served in the Air Force, then put together a band called the Texas Wildcats.

His first hit came in 1953 when the song “Bumming Around” sold 700,000 records and made it to No. 5 on the country charts. Then he landed a spot on a Washington TV show called “Town and Country Time.”

From there, CBS carted him off to New York to host a live country show. On one of many trips from New York to Nashville, he jotted some lyrics on a piece of cardboard.

The song was “Big Bad John,” which sold more than 8 million copies and won him a Grammy.

“I wrote that song in an hour and a half. It may be like Hank Williams said, ‘If it takes over 45 minutes to write it, it ain't worth a (crap).”

He turned out five more top-40 hits, signed with ABC to do “The Jimmy Dean Show” and gave breaks to folks such as Roy Clark, Patsy Cline and Roger Miller.

But he never trusted the entertainment business. It's an often-told tale how he got the idea to make his own brand of sausage while having breakfast at a little ol' diner.

He was eating sausage and eggs, and he reached up and pulled a piece of gristle (he acts this out) about yeah big out of his teeth. He thought, “Good God Lord, there ought to be room for a quality sausage somewhere.”

He built a plant in Plainview and, to make a long story short, Jimmy Dean was soon producing the most well-known breakfast sausage in the country. Sara Lee Corp. bought out Jimmy Dean Meats in 1984 and left Jimmy with a stack of stock.

For the record, the Sausage King prefers patties over links, because that's the way his Granddaddy used to have sausage.

“I like to get a big chunk of sausage and flatten that sucker out like so, put it on a big hamburger bun with some onion and some MU-++++. Man, that'll hair-lip a county.”

Donna grew up in Richmond and moved to Nashville to pursue her singing. By the time they met in 1989, he was full-tilt Jimmy Dean, music legend, diamond-studded cowboy, sausage shill. The two were guests on the same Nashville show.

He heard her sing and couldn't get her out of his mind. He was 61, she was 36. He wrote her a fan letter. She got scared.

“I was totally and completely intimidated and just didn't know how to act around him. I just tried to get away.”

He kept pursuing, and they married 18 months later. Now, she wears a diamond solitaire that weighs 4 carats, with baguettes adding another 2 carats and there's a 2-carat band that's supposed to go around that. She can't wear it.

“It actually made my knuckle swell.”

Jimmy's got his own ring. It's the company logo. The J is shaped with diamonds, the D with rubies.

A little more west Texas gawd.

Jimmy and Donna Dean have all this and very few worries.

About the only thing Jimmy doesn't like about living here are the Richmond weather forecasters.

“Hands down the worst, and I'm talking about radio, the television, the newspaper. They can't find their (butts) with both hands if every finger was a flashlight.”

Neither are they fond of the gypsum plant across the river. It's an eyesore, Donna says.

“There's a cannon aimed at it, and one of these days we're going to get enough wine in us and fire it,” she says.

They have a house-sized party room called Casa Del Rio next to their swimming pool. Jimmy's got one of those TVs where you can watch one game and have the other game up in the corner and switch them, boom, boom. And today, there's a crew on the grounds hanging Christmas lights high in many of their trees.

With all this, why on earth would they want to get mixed up in the state song derby? They've surely gotten more publicity, not all of it good, than any of the other seven finalists.

“That one guy was really looking to cut us up,” Jimmy says of a Washington reporter. “I think he did cut us up pretty good.”

It's like being George W., Donna says, the front-runner makes a good target.

But they've kept on campaigning. They went to a Richmond recording studio, hired local talent and made a CD. They took it to radio stations and record stores, and they're giving the money from its sales to Varina High School.

“To me,” Donna says, “it would be the greatest honor…”

“That just said it all to me right there.”

“…that I could have bestowed…”

“It'd be a tremendous honor.”

“…upon me as a songwriter, other than writing the national anthem…”

“Well, Barbara Bush and I are going to change the national anthem. Ha! We talked about it and thought our national anthem ought to be ‘America the Beautiful.’”

Jimmy recites several lines from “The Star-Spangled Banner,” then several lines from “America the Beautiful” and then admits to a selfish motive for his proposed change.

He was invited a number of times to sing the national anthem at some rather prestigious sporting events. He had to say, “No, I can't sing it.” He could still sing “America the Beautiful,” though.

“But that national anthem, you got to have the tightest shorts on in the world to sing that. I mean, you got to really bind them in there.”

Hee-hee.

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »

Thank-you for the news. Jimmy Dean made the World is a better place. Sad

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 08:29:02 AM »

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Jimmy Dean, a country music legend for his smash hit about a workingman hero, "Big Bad John," and an entrepreneur known for his sausage brand, died on Sunday. He was 81.

His wife, Donna Meade Dean, said her husband died at their Henrico County, Va., home.

She told The Associated Press that he had some health problems but was still functioning well, so his death came as a shock. She said he was eating in front of the television. She left the room for a time and came back and he was unresponsive. She said he was pronounced dead at 7:54 p.m.

"He was amazing," she said. "He had a lot of talents."

Born in 1928, Dean was raised in poverty in Plainview, Texas, and dropped out of high school after the ninth grade. He went on to a successful entertainment career in the 1950s and '60s that included the nationally televised "The Jimmy Dean Show."

In 1969, Dean went into the sausage business, starting the Jimmy Dean Meat Co. in his hometown. He sold the company to Sara Lee Corp. in 1984.

Dean lived in semiretirement with his wife, who is a songwriter and recording artist, on their 200-acre estate just outside Richmond, where he enjoyed investing, boating and watching the sun set over the James River.

In 2009 a fire gutted their home, but his Grammy for "Big Bad John," a puppet made by Muppets creator Jim Henson, a clock that had belonged to Prince Charles and Princess Diana and other valuables were saved. Lost were a collection of celebrity-autographed books, posters of Dean with Elvis Presley and other prized possessions.

Donna Meade Dean said the couple had just moved back into their reconstructed home.

With his drawled wisecracks and quick wit, Dean charmed many fans. But in both entertainment and business circles, he was also known for his tough hide. He fired bandmate Roy Clark, who went onto "Hee Haw" fame, for showing up late for gigs.

More recently, a sc rap with Sara Lee led to national headlines.

The Chicago-based company let him go as spokesman in 2003, inciting Dean's wrath. He issued a statement titled "Somebody doesn't like Sara Lee," claiming he was dumped because he got old.

"The company told me that they were trying to attract the younger housewife, and they didn't think I was the one to do that," Dean told The Associated Press in January 2004. "I think it's the dumbest thing. But you know, what do I know?"

Sara Lee has said that it chose not to renew Dean's contract because the "brand was going in a new direction" that demanded a shift in marketing.

Dean grew up in a musical household. His mother showed him how to play his first chord on the piano. His father, who left the family, was a songwriter and singer. Dean taught himself to play the accordion and the harmonica.

His start in the music business came as an accordionist at a tavern near Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D.C., wh ere he was stationed in the 1940s. After leaving the Air Force in 1948, he fronted his band, the Texas Wildcats, and drew a strong local following through appearances on Washington-area radio.

By the early 1950s, Dean's band had its first national hit in "Bummin' Around."

"Big Bad John," which is about a coal miner who saves fellow workers when a mine roof collapses, became a big hit in 1961 and won a Grammy. The star wrote it in less than two hours.

His fame led him to a string of television shows, including "The Jimmy Dean Show" on CBS. Dean's last big TV stint was ABC's version of "The Jimmy Dean Show" from 1963 to 1966.

Dean in February was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. He was to be inducted in October and his wife said she thinks he was looking forward to it.

Dean became a headliner at venues like Carnegie Hall and the Hollywood Bowl and became the first country star to play on the Las Vegas strip. He was the first guest host on "The Tonight Show," and also was an actor with parts in television and the movies, including the role of James Bond's ally Willard Whyte in the 1971 film "Diamonds Are Forever."

Besides his wife, Dean is survived by three children and two grandchildren, Donna Meade Dean said. Arrangements have not be made, but it will be a private service, she said.

In the late '60s, Dean entered the hog business - something he knew well. His family had butchered hogs, with the young Dean whacking them over the head with the blunt end of an ax. The Dean brothers - Jimmy and Don - ground the meat and their mother seasoned it.

The Jimmy Dean Meat Co. opened with a plant in Plainview. After six months, the company was profitable.

His fortune was estimated at $75 million in the early '90s.

Having watched other stars fritter away their fortunes, Dean said he learned to be careful with his money.

"I've seen so many people in this business that made a fortune," h e told the AP. "They get old and broke and can't make any money. ... I tell you something, ... no one's going to play a benefit for Jimmy Dean."

Dean said then that he was at peace at his estate and that he had picked a spot near the river where he wanted to be buried.

"It's the sweetest piece of property in the world, we think," he told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. "It sure is peaceful here."

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/northjersey/obituary.aspx?n=jimmy-dean&pid=143577302

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXvwgNVhz88&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TXvwgNVhz88&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Thank-you, Muffy Bee,

This is so painful to listen too, bittersweet.  There were no short order cooks in the good old days:)

Perhaps Jimmy was referring to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. 

He made our world a better place, sniff, sniff.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.