April 19, 2024, 04:40:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TARGET RECALLS Children's Belts  (Read 1447 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: June 18, 2010, 10:22:31 AM »

Children's Belts Recalled by Target Corporation for Safety
Jun 18, 2010 Christopher Clayton

Target issued a recall on two types of belts for children. The kids' accessories were found to contain high levels of lead.   

On June 17, 2010, Target Corporation recalled a children’s product. Additional testing confirmed the presents of high amounts of lead located in the belts’ buckles. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission also issued a recall report to warn consumers of the potential safety risks associated with the kids’ belts.

Children’s Belts Recalled by Target
The kids’ products listed under the recall were the boys’ and girls’ belts sold exclusively at Target Stores across the United States. The children’s accessories were sold from December 2008 to December of 2009. The belts could be purchased for about $8.

The belts were created in two designs to appeal to boys and girls. The boys’ belts were the Cherokee. The belts were reversible and were packaged as a pair. The sizes ranged from M to XL. The item numbers associated with the recalled boys’ belts are 202/08/0018, 202/08/0019, and 202/08/0020.

The girls’ belts were the Circo. These belts were available in pink and white. Both belts had shiny, heart buckles. The sizes ranged from XS to L. The Circo belts were packaged as a pair, similar to the belts for boys. The item numbers associated with the recalled girls’ belts are 202/05/0071, 202/05/0072, 202/05/0073, and 202/05/0074.

Defects in Boys’ and Girls’ Belts Sold at Target
Based on the information released by the Target Corporation, no reports of injury or incident associated with the use of the children’s item were received. The concern over the kids’ belts is linked to the amount of lead found within the buckles. Lead can cause serious health problems with intense or long-term exposure.

Lead can enter the body primarily through one of two methods. Individuals within close proximity to an item containing the metal may inhale lead through the air. People and children can also ingest amounts of lead if an item is placed in an individual’s mouth.

Daily exposures to lead can build in the body over time leading to lead poisoning. Even low levels of lead in the body can cause damage to the brain and kidneys, as well as other internal organs. Prolonged exposure to high levels of lead can cause even more severe damage. In children, high lead levels are associated with decreased I.Q. and increased moodiness over time.

Actions to Take Following Recall of Belt Buckles for Kids
The high lead levels found in the buckles makes the belts unsafe for children. Removing the children’s accessory from a child does not remove the safety risk. It is important for consumers to remove the item from the kid’s environment to decrease exposure. Individuals can discard the belts or contact Target for a full refund.

Consumers may contact Target at (800) 440-0680 between the hours of 7am and 6pm, Monday through Friday in order to gain refund information. Individuals may also use the Target website for more information about the recall or to browse additional items available from the company.

Recall information from across the United States is available for interested individual on the U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website.

Source:

U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. “Target Recalls Children’s Belts Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard,” News From CPSC (accessed June 18, 2010).

http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm/childrens-belts-recalled-by-target-corporation-for-safety-a250774

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.