March 29, 2024, 01:06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #56 9/30/10 - 12/17/10  (Read 262661 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2010, 07:00:38 PM »

Steel cut oats have a lot more texture and kind of a nuttier taste imo.  It's the only kind of oatmeal we use in my family now.  We had gone to the old-fashioned oats due to reduced sodium, but gave the steel oats a try and they were good.  Sometimes I see them in metal cans and from Ireland, but I buy mine in bulk.  I cook mine in a very heavy pot, and sprinkle with some raisins or dried cranberries and/or some cinnamon on it.  Some folks use cream in it, but I don't.  I've made steel cut oats in a crock pot a couple times, but cooked them with sliced apples. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2010, 05:18:34 AM »

Steel cut oats have a lot more texture and kind of a nuttier taste imo.  It's the only kind of oatmeal we use in my family now.  We had gone to the old-fashioned oats due to reduced sodium, but gave the steel oats a try and they were good.  Sometimes I see them in metal cans and from Ireland, but I buy mine in bulk.  I cook mine in a very heavy pot, and sprinkle with some raisins or dried cranberries and/or some cinnamon on it.  Some folks use cream in it, but I don't.  I've made steel cut oats in a crock pot a couple times, but cooked them with sliced apples. 

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2010, 05:48:18 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/06/montana.marijuana.texting/index.html?iref=obinsite

Texting teens get the wrong number -- a REALLY wrong number
By Gabriel Falcon, CNN
September 6, 2010 -- Updated 2222 GMT (0622 HKT)

(CNN) -- Two Montana teenagers texting in search of some marijuana got the wrong number. Seriously wrong. They wound up messaging the local sheriff, and he messaged right back.

"They were one number off," Louis and Clark County, Montana, Sheriff Leo Dutton told CNN. "Luck of the draw."

Dutton said the 15- and 16-year-old boys mistakenly sent him a text message on August 25 that read, "hey dawg, do you have 20 i can buy right now?" At first, Dutton said he "thought it was a joke" but decided to continue the conversation by replying, "how much we talking?"

"I need 20 right now do you have any?" the teens allegedly texted back, unaware that the person they were communicating with was the chief law enforcement officer in the area.

Dutton said he handed the case over to a narcotics officer who arranged to meet the two teens later that day. After the officer showed his badge to the teens, one of the boys "got white and his knees started wobbling," Dutton said.

Although the teens were on record with their pot purchasing attempt, the sheriff says they won't face any charges.

The parents of both of teens "took immediate action" which played a big part in the decision not to charge the two, Dutton said without offering specifics of the parental punishment.

"If your goal is to put someone into the system and not try to correct the behavior, it seems like you are fighting the tide," Dutton told CNN. "The parents were going to do more to change their behavior than a criminal record. Changing behavior and making this a better place is what we're all about."

"We all make mistakes," the sheriff added. "Hopefully they'll use it as a stepping block instead of a stumbling stone, and they'll be better off in life."

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2010, 06:02:56 AM »

(video at sight)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/24/pennsylvania.graves.mystery/index.html?iref=obinsite

Grandfather's ghost story leads to mysterious mass grave
By Meghan Rafferty, CNN
August 24, 2010 -- Updated 2128 GMT (0528 HKT)

Malvern, Pennsylvania (CNN)  -- "This is a mass grave," Bill Watson said as he led the way through the thick Pennsylvania woods in a suburb about 30 miles from Philadelphia.

"Duffy's Cut," as it's now called, is a short walk from a suburban cul-de-sac in Malvern, an affluent town off the fabled Main Line. Twin brothers Bill and Frank Watson believe 57 Irish immigrants met violent deaths there after a cholera epidemic struck in 1832.

They suspect foul play.

"This is a murder mystery from 178 years ago, and it's finally coming to the light of day," Frank Watson said.

The brothers first heard about Duffy's Cut from their grandfather, a railroad worker, who told the ghost story to his family every Thanksgiving. According to local legend, memorialized in a file kept by the Pennsylvania Railroad, a man walking home from a tavern reported seeing blue and green ghosts dancing in the mist on a warm September night in 1909.

"I saw with my own eyes, the ghosts of the Irishmen who died with the cholera a month ago, a-dancing around the big trench where they were buried; it's true, mister, it was awful," the documents quote the unnamed man as saying. "Why, they looked as if they were a kind of green and blue fire and they were a-hopping and bobbing on their graves... I had heard the Irishmen were haunting the place because they were buried without the benefit of clergy."

When Frank inherited the file of his grandfather's old railroad papers, the brothers began to believe the ghost stories were real. They suspected that the files contained clues to the location of a mass grave.

"One of the pieces of correspondence in this file told us 'X marks the spot,'" said Frank. He added that the document suggested that the men "were buried where they were making the fill, which is the original railroad bridge."

In 2002, the brothers began digging and searching. They found forks and remnants of a shanty and, in 2005, what Bill Watson calls the "Holy Grail" -- a pipe with an Irish flag on it.

They knew they were close, but Bill said they knew they needed "hard science" to get them to the next step.

The science came from Tim Bechtel, a geophysicist, who learned about the project from a colleague at the University of Pennsylvania who had heard the Watson brothers speak. The friend knew Bechtel could provide the missing link in the brothers' excavation efforts.

Bechtel's work included earth scans, which can help detect what's underground without digging or drilling.

By shooting electrical current through the slope, Bechtel said he learned there were "oddball areas" or places where the current wouldn't pass through. "We saw areas in the slope that were very electrically resistant," Bechtel recalled.

This was an initial indicator something might lie beneath the surface. After further digging, Bechtel and the Watsons detected "air bubbles above the coffins," he said.

Bechtel helped pinpoint key areas to dig and on March 20, 2009, Bill Watson said the team made a startling discovery.

"One of my students came running over at about 2 in the afternoon with something that was a clearly discernable human bone," Bechtel said.

It was just the beginning of the many puzzle pieces to surface at Duffy's Cut. The pieces led them to suspect that something other than cholera was responsible for the deaths.

"A teeny weenie little fragment like that is so chock full of information," said Janet Monge, holding up a jawbone and teeth found at the Duffy's Cut site. She believes the teeth, because of their irregularities, could someday be linked through DNA to living descendents of the men unearthed at the dig site.

Monge, an anthropologist at the University of Pennsylvania, joined the forensics team when Bechtel looked her up in the campus directory and asked for help separating the human bones from any animal bones.

Since then, Monge has collected bones from seven skeletons unearthed at Duffy's Cut, including four skulls. The trays and containers of bones occupy a long, wide table in the back of a lecture room at the University of Pennsylvania Museum in Philadelphia.

Poring over the bones with her green spectacles sitting low on her nose, Monge said she has focused her attention on the skulls, adding that they have provided crucial clues to what might have killed the Irishmen at Duffy's Cut.

"This skull has a little divot on what would have been the side bone of the skull," she said, holding it up. "That little divot is something that didn't happen when they excavated it out of the ground."

With just one divot on one skull, she was reluctant to jump to conclusions. But as more skulls surfaced, a pattern started to form. Holding the second skull, Monge said with confidence: "This person was clunked on the head at around the time of death."

Two weeks ago, a new piece of evidence came up from the ground at Duffy's Cut: A skull with a perforation that could be a bullet hole. "In fact, we can see some nice cracked edges that do look very much like a bullet hole," Monge observed.

Monge and the team will soon test the skull for the presence of lead. The source could be a bullet or an ax. Either way, she said, "If they had cholera, it didn't kill them. I would say something else killed them, but they might have had cholera, too."

Why is the mystery so important to the team?

"It could have been us," Bill Watson said. "These guys came over here with nothing, looking for the American dream like countless people have done. They thought they were going to make it and within six weeks of arrival they're literally buried in the fill here."

Although they have unearthed seven individual's remains, the Duffy's Cut team labors on to find the 50 more they believe are still underneath the surface.

The brothers said their goal is to preserve the memory of the Irish workers and to put the story in textbooks, to be remembered for years to come.

"It's a story that transcends nations, transcends history in a sense. It's the story you hear of workers that were exploited anywhere in the world," Frank Watson said.

"How do we treat our employees? How do we treat people who immigrate for a new life? Every human being deserves to be remembered."

I believe in miracles!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2010, 03:17:58 PM »

My idea of oatmeal for breakfast (and I have it every day):

Go to the grocery store and pick up a box of lower sugar maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal.  I prefer the store brand.

Open one packet and pour into a bowl.  Add enough tap water to cover and then a bit more. 

Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 1:35 minutes.   Remove and stir, add a little water or milk to desired consistency.  EAT.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »

Go to the grocery store and pick up a box of lower sugar maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal.  I prefer the store brand.

Open one packet and pour into a bowl.  Add enough tap water to cover and then a bit more. 

Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 1:35 minutes.   Remove and stir, add a little water or milk to desired consistency.  EAT.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »

http://www.wesh.com/r-video/25374739/detail.html

Siblings Born On 8/8/08, 9/9/09, 10/10/10

(We need a baby monkey around here, maybe 2, one boy and one girl)

I believe in miracles!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »

Klaas I like your way of cookin

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »

Hey Bearly

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »

http://www.wesh.com/r-video/25374739/detail.html

Siblings Born On 8/8/08, 9/9/09, 10/10/10

(We need a baby monkey around here, maybe 2, one boy and one girl)

Isn't that cool

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »

http://www.wesh.com/slideshow/family/13415032/detail.html

20 Internet Acronyms All Parents Should Know

LMIRL
Let's Meet In Real Life

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »

Hey Bearly

Hi Green Eyes!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »

http://www.wesh.com/news/25404072/detail.html

Live Video

Police: Abused Baby's Chances of Survival 50-50
Authorities Charge Parents In Connection With Injuries

I believe in miracles!
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »

I also like the instant oatmeal that you microwave in it's own cup...really good and no clean up! just add some milk when it is done..yummy

I am making the microwave oatmeal tonight so it will be ready in the morning..will let you all know how I like it...

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35:16 PM »

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »

Look at all that hair.  What an angel an angelic monkey Thanks for sharing Klaas

GOD BLESS AMERICA
crazybabyborg
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2010, 01:46:07 AM »

Steel cut oats have a lot more texture and kind of a nuttier taste imo.  It's the only kind of oatmeal we use in my family now.  We had gone to the old-fashioned oats due to reduced sodium, but gave the steel oats a try and they were good.  Sometimes I see them in metal cans and from Ireland, but I buy mine in bulk.  I cook mine in a very heavy pot, and sprinkle with some raisins or dried cranberries and/or some cinnamon on it.  Some folks use cream in it, but I don't.  I've made steel cut oats in a crock pot a couple times, but cooked them with sliced apples.  

Hiya, Miss Bee! I agree with you...... the steel cut oats taste nuttier and I like them better! Ooooh, I'll bet it is good with apple slices! I'm going to try that! Around here, Quaker is the only brand I can find that has them. If you've ever watched Alton Brown, you know how he goes on about the "science" of nutrition and cooking. He said that oats have more soluable fiber than any other grain; so much so that foods made with them can carry the claim that it can reduce cholesterol. Of course he went on to explain that oats bind with bad cholesterol in the colon, so that it "goes out with the trash".   Anyway, he said that since instant oats are more highly processed that a lot of the fiber is destroyed.

Did 'ya hear that Klaas??  You're gonna end up with a cloggy colon! Then you'll REALLY be a tyrrrranical ruler!  

(Of course she's going to have TIME to be tyrrrranical while the rest of us are having quality bathroom time!)   Rolling Eyes
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:48:10 AM by CBB » Logged
crazybabyborg
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2010, 01:51:26 AM »

Klaas, your Grandaughter is just way too cute!! Can't you just see that little nuk going up and down as she sucks? Awwwww, I keep asking my future DIL if the wedding is close enough so she wouldn't show in the Bride's Dress?? 
crazybabyborg
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2010, 02:21:04 AM »

Speaking of the upcoming wedding, "we" have FINALLY picked out a wedding cake.  Yes, I've looked at THOUSANDS with her. I need you all to remind me that I feel "special" because she drags me along instead of her Mom........ whom I still haven't met..     

Did you know that there is such a thing as a "cake tasting?" Well, there is! I know this because she, my son, and John all went to one at her insistence.  I thought I was in the clear when she decided on the picture of a cake. Huh-uh......... nope. THEN you get to pick out FLAVORS!    The caterer brings you a whole plate of small slices of various cakes with different frostings, fillings, and cake flavors. 1/2 way through, you go into a sugar coma which turns out to be a good thing. You need the numb for the downpayment.   

This is the cake shown with fondant. She wants buttercream frosting instead of fondant, and the caterer said she could make it look just like it. I'll believe it when I see it. I can't figure out how she'd get that pearl finish with buttercream, but she said she could. I'm thinking that by the time we see it, she'll be paid and it will be too late.  The final decision (drumroll and 5 pounds heavier) is two layers chocolate with hazelnut filling, and three layers buttercream with amaretto filling. As I said, the frosting for all is buttercream.     Flowers are yet to come........  By then maybe I won't be so overdosed on "precious".    Groom's cake is quite a contrast............. a 3 dimensional Bubba head!   
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2010, 02:40:33 AM »

Good Morning, Cutie!

I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.