March 28, 2024, 10:35:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #56 9/30/10 - 12/17/10  (Read 262644 times)
Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »

If someone could help me with mashed potatoes.

During the past year I've made the transition between box spuds, and the real thing.

I've followed a few recipes, watched Paula, and even got a cooking book. But... nope!

My prob is .... I don't know. But, sometimes they come out looking and behaving like glue.

Sometimes, using the same recipe, they come out fine.

I tried figuring out why they come out like glue, and tried different variations and temps, kinds of milk (used 1/2&1/2, regular, and even cream).

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem, and how they fixed it. Thanks.

Very Happy

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »

During the past year I've made the transition between box spuds, and the real thing.

I've followed a few recipes, watched Paula, and even got a cooking book. But... nope!

My prob is .... I don't know. But, sometimes they come out looking and behaving like glue.

I tried figuring out why they come out like glue, and tried different variations and temps, kinds of milk (used 1/2&1/2, regular, and even cream).

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem, and how they fixed it. Thanks.

Very Happy

I think it's the variety of potato you're using. I know my sister was doing french fries in a deep fryer and you could leave them in there forever and they wouldn't brown. Turns out she was using the wrong variety.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »

Very Happy

I always use russet potatoes when I make mashed potatoes which I do often.  When it's just for my husband and I, I use 2 potatoes that I've peeled and cut up in fairly small chunks.  Once the potatoes are fork soft, I drain the water, add margerine or butter and start mashing.  Normally for just the 2 of us I'll just use the hand masher.  I'll add a bit of milk a little at a time until I get the desire consistency.  They never come out like paste. 

I've found that Yukon Gold and some of the other potato varieties even though tasty are sometimes pastier.

Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »

I'll ... peel... my eye for the kind of potato.

The potatoes I have are large, but not the baking kind. I grab them at the store without even looking which kind they are... kinda grabbing whatever is a good buy.

I use the hand mixer, a suggestion of Alton Brown last year... haha!

The thing is that sometimes they come out fine.

But, will put more attention to the type of taters from now on.

Thanks.

Very Happy
crazybabyborg
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »

I use russet potatoes too, but I've never used a recipe. I will say that it's pretty important to drain all the liquid after the potatoes are fork tender. I often set the pot back on the stove after pouring off the water for a minute before I start adding the butter and milk just to make sure the liquid is gone. That might help?
crazybabyborg
« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

Hey! It's Halloween Cookie Time!!   Who's making them??? Klaas......... take notes...... it won't be long until you're going to have a little goblin to tend to for Halloween!!  

I found some new ones this year. For me it's all about easy!!   Take a look........ these look as easy as the Nutter Butter Ghosts!  
They're just dipped oreos and then decorated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:05:33 PM by CBB » Logged
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »

Ummmm!  Cookies!   The Halloween cookies are almost too cute to eat!     Nom, nom, nom, nom! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »

Those are great CBB!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »

The potatoes I have are large, but not the baking kind. I grab them at the store without even looking which kind they are... kinda grabbing whatever is a good buy.

Thanks.

Very Happy

I think that russet's are usually the cheapest in the store when you buy a bag.  We don't eat that much so I'll get a 5lb bag which costs about $2.99.  A 10lb bag is $3.99 but we'd never eat them all before they go bad. 
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2010, 12:18:24 AM »

Thanks.

Very Happy

I think that russet's are usually the cheapest in the store when you buy a bag.  We don't eat that much so I'll get a 5lb bag which costs about $2.99.  A 10lb bag is $3.99 but we'd never eat them all before they go bad. 

I have never had my potatoes go bad. Hubs is a meat and potatoes man. It's taken me years to get him to eat something besides that every night. 

ItarylMoosee Try and use russets and not the other kinds like everyone said. And not to over cook them. Even for big dinners I use the had smasher. When I use the electric mixer I get them gummy. I cook them to where a fork can go into them and drain and then add butter and mash them up good before I add the milk to get them the texture I want. You can do it. It just takes time and pactice. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #270 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:23 AM »

Hey! It's Halloween Cookie Time!!   Who's making them??? Klaas......... take notes...... it won't be long until you're going to have a little goblin to tend to for Halloween!!  

I found some new ones this year. For me it's all about easy!!   Take a look........ these look as easy as the Nutter Butter Ghosts!  
They're just dipped oreos and then decorated.

How cool the cookies look CBB.  There has been so much going on here this year I haven't even thought about cookies. I will have to ask grandsons if they want to make some. I sure don't need them. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2010, 12:59:26 AM »

You all have probably seen this, but someone sent it to me, and I just love it.

2 4 1
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2010, 01:46:32 AM »

SuzieQ  I love that picture an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »

Sometimes I sprinkle in a bit of parmesan cheese with my mashed potatoes.

If I have leftovers I will make potato patties next day.  Form into patties and fry in olive oil or butter until golden.  Hubby loves them.

Good morning Monkeys! 
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2010, 06:59:28 AM »

We have a kind monkey from OR, Wantkyhome, who visits Kyron's Wall of Hope regularly and is willing to take monkey messages for those of us that
would like to leave a message.

Klaas made a thread for this purpose.
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2010, 07:02:13 AM »

CBB - cute halloween cookies.

I see little hands reaching out for CBB's specialties in your future!    an angelic monkey
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2010, 07:04:33 AM »

I see little hands reaching out for CBB's specialties in your future!    an angelic monkey

Meant to say Grandma CBB'S specialties...ain't life grand!   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »

OMG!!!! No, I have NOT seen this and I'm ROFL!!!!   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »

Meant to say Grandma CBB'S specialties...ain't life grand!   

Oh, I want, I want, I want!!!   
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »

I use Bob Evans mashed potatoes...just heat them up in the micro..they are the bomb!
I have not peeled a potato since and I never will again!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.