April 19, 2024, 05:00:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #56 9/30/10 - 12/17/10  (Read 263520 times)
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »

WYKS!!!!    Grrrrrreat to see you!!!  You have been missed!!!

Itaryl Mooseee.............. Your avi cracks me up!! I Love It!!! 

Thanks CBB!!  It's great to see ya too!      

I have missssssssssed everyone so much.   an angelic monkey   

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #361 on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »

Good to see you Wyks   an angelic monkey
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #362 on: November 03, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »

Hey Wyks!   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #363 on: November 03, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »

Hi Rosie and Trimm!      

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #364 on: November 03, 2010, 06:19:55 PM »

Hi Rosie and Trimm!      

Hey Wyks! Welcome back.  Are you happy and settled in your new place?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #365 on: November 04, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/04/cell.phone.save.you/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Five ways your cell phone can save you
By Elizabeth Cohen, CNN Senior Medical Correspondent
November 4, 2010 8:42 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Follow the blue path.

Those were the directions from triathlon organizers to competitor Leigh Fazzina as she ended the swim portion of the race in Farmington, Connecticut, and set out on the eight-mile bike ride last summer. Fazzina tried to follow the bumpy dirt path in the middle of the dense woods, looking up for the blue arrows, looking down to make sure she didn't hit any large roots or rocks.

But after about 15 minutes, Fazzina didn't see any blue arrows, and she didn't see any other bikers, either. As the sun began to set, she pedaled faster and faster, trying to find a way out of the woods.

That's when her bike hit a huge tree root, and Fazzina somersaulted high over her handles, crashed onto her left shoulder and rolled down a hill, her bike hitting her on its way down. Bruised and banged up, she yelled out for help, but no one responded. She hobbled over to her bike and grabbed her BlackBerry out of the pouch under her seat.

"I called my cousin and it kept saying 'connecting, connecting, but it wouldn't connect,' " she says. She tried to call again. "Then I looked at the signal and noticed I only had one bar."

Fazzina, 36, then remembered Twitter. She used it often in her work in her health care communications firm. She knew it might work even though a call wouldn't.

At around 7 p.m. that day in July, she tweeted, "I've had a serious injury and NEED Help! Can someone please call Winding Trails in Farmington, CT tell them I'm stuck bike crashed in woods."

Within minutes, no fewer than six of her Twitter followers called the Farmington police, among them a medical student in Royal Oak, Michigan, a lab manager in Toronto, Ontario, and a fellow health care communications executive in the Middle East country of Oman.

It's amazing what 140 characters can do: EMTs arrived 18 minutes after Fazzina's first tweet, just as darkness was descending.

Fazzina chronicled her accident on her blog, and one of her Twitter followers, Steve Woodruff, posted Fazzina's tweets on his blog.

"I knew I'd get instant, serious help from the network I'm connected to on Twitter," says Fazzina, who has her own public relations firm in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, and some 1,500 followers on Twitter.

"There's so much technology out there, and we should take advantage of it," she says. "Cell phones can do so many things. A friend of mine just bought a new BlackBerry and she hasn't put any apps on it, and I said, 'Why'd you buy it?' "

Whether you own a BlackBerry, iPhone, Android, or just a cell phone, there are applications and other tools you can use to turn your device into a safety tool. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Program your cell so people can find you

If you're lying unconscious somewhere, how would anyone locate you? Verizon, Sprint and AT&T all have locators where you can find members of your family.

In addition, you can do a search on iTunes for applications that use your smartphone's GPS to let you know where you are.

2. Put your "in case of emergency" contact into your cell phone

The trick here is to put your "ICE" information into your cell in as big and obvious a way as possible. After all, emergency workers are busy trying to save you and can't be spending precious moments browsing through your phone.

Connie Meyer, the incoming president of the National Association of EMTs, suggests putting the "ICE" information into your contact list under "ICE."

"Most EMTs know to look for that," says Meyer, a paramedic and registered nurse. "And make sure your ICE contact is someone who really knows your medical history."

Dr. Assaad Sayah, chief of emergency medicine for the Cambridge Health Alliance in Massachusetts, has another suggestion. Many cell phones have a place for information about the owner, such as your name and number, and you can also put your ICE information there.

ICE information is especially important for children, says Sayah, because in many cases, emergency rooms can't treat a child without consent from parents.

"If someone's sprained an ankle or something else that's not life-threatening, we can't even give pain medication until we get permission from the parents," he says.

You can put an ICE sticker on your phone to alert emergency workers that your contact is inside.

There's one problem with all these options: If you password-protect your phone, emergency workers can't find any of this because your phone will be locked.

3. Put your medical information on your cell

If you have a particular medical condition or are taking certain drugs, emergency workers need to know. You can put that information in the same place as your ICE contact, and you can also get an app that stores it.

Choose an app that puts the information (or an icon leading to it) on the front screen of your phone so it's easy to find. Jared makes one for your BlackBerry and Polka makes one that goes on the front screen of your iPhone, which will work even if your phone is locked.

However, be aware that an old-fashioned, low-tech approach may be best here. Meyer says EMTs will more quickly notice a medical alert bracelet or necklace than anything on your cell phone.

"We're focused on the patient, and so wouldn't be able to spend a whole lot of time looking for information on the phone," she says. "There are so many various phones out there we wouldn't know where to look."

4. Get an app that teaches you first aid and CPR

Several groups, including the American Heart Association, have an app for that.

5. Find help nearby

Several apps, such as iTriage or DocGPS, will direct you to the nearest emergency room.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #366 on: November 04, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »

Klaas and/or other appreciated Mods:
I added a thread in Inspirational with song links.  Is this ok?  If not, please delete as I don't want to crowd the board.  Just doing links, not the songs or lyrics themselves.
Blessings.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #367 on: November 04, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »

Hey Can, thanks!  Yes, am settling in and like it very much!  Am right across the street from the store, which is terrific.  Where I lived before, it was a good half an hour to the nearest anything that resembled a store.  lol 

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #368 on: November 04, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »

Nicest Canadian couple in world dole out lottery winnings
By Liz Goodwin liz Goodwin Thu Nov 4, 1:27 pm ET
A retired Canadian couple who won $11.3 million in the lottery in July have already given it (almost) all away.

"What you've never had, you never miss," 78-year-old Violet Large explained to a local reporter.

She was undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer when the couple realized they'd won the jackpot in July.

"That money that we won was nothing," her tearful husband, Allen, told Patricia Brooks Arenburg of the Nova Scotia Chronicle Herald. "We have each other."

The money was a "headache," they told the paper--mainly, it brought anxiety over the prospect that "crooked people" might take advantage of them. Several people called them out of the blue to ask for money when the news first broke that they'd won the jackpot. So they began an $11 million donation spree to get rid of it and help others, the Chronicle Herald reports:

They took care of family first and then began delivering donations to the two pages' worth of groups they had decided on, including the local fire department, churches, cemeteries, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, hospitals in Truro and Halifax, where Violet underwent her cancer treatment, and organizations that fight cancer, Alzheimer's and diabetes. The list goes on and on.

Violet told the Canadian Press that they retained about 2 percent of the money for a rainy day.

"It made us feel good," Violet told the Chronicle Herald. "And there's so much good being done with that money."

The Nova Scotia couple have been married more than 35 years and quietly saved up the money that Allen made as a welder and Violet made in retail before retiring.

"We haven't spent one cent on ourselves because we've been too busy getting everything looked after and with my health, I have to wait to get my health back to get the energy to do anything," Violet told the National Post. "We're not travelers anyway. We live in the country and we're proud of it. Money can't buy you health or happiness."

Now their neighborhood is abuzz over their good deeds.

"People who know them just know that's the type of people they are—they're just happy to have each other," local restaurant owner Lori Hingley told the Canadian Press.

The prize was in Canada dollars (roughly equal to U.S. dollars at current exchange rates).

(Photo of Allen and Violet Large: Harry Sullivan/Truro Daily News
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101104/od_yblog_upshot/nicest-canadian-couple-in-world-doles-out-lottery-winnings/print

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #369 on: November 04, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »

Hey Can, thanks!  Yes, am settling in and like it very much!  Am right across the street from the store, which is terrific.  Where I lived before, it was a good half an hour to the nearest anything that resembled a store.  lol 

Wyks that's fantastic!  Glad to hear you like your new home...and the convenience of a store so close sounds like the icing on the cake!

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #370 on: November 04, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »

2NJ What a great story!  That couple are truly blessed, in their giving.
Kinda' restores my faith in the human race.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #371 on: November 04, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »

2NJ What a great story!  That couple are truly blessed, in their giving.
Kinda' restores my faith in the human race.

So true, can.  I wish them well....especially since she's still battling cancer. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #372 on: November 04, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »

Great information on the ICE thing, just did mine, THX.

About the couple sharing millions won on the lottery, that is surely an inspiring story.

Very Happy

p.s.

I'm in need of about a million, anyone know their address? Wink
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #373 on: November 04, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »

Klaas..thanks for the info on the cell phone..

what a wonderful lottery story..I had seen them on HLN earlier today..they are sweet..

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #374 on: November 05, 2010, 01:22:12 AM »

Hi  Monken has new cakes in her thread. They are wonderful
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=4894.new#new

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2010, 01:34:04 AM »

Thanks Klaas about the cell phone info. 

2NJsons  I loved the story about the lottery couple. What a wonderful thing for them to do. It shows us that are wonderful people in the world.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #376 on: November 05, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »

http://sewing.about.com/od/holidaysewingprojects/tp/thanksgivingsewingprojects.htm?nl=1

Free Sewing Patterns and Projects for Thanksgiving Sewing

Prepare your kitchen, table and home for Thanksgiving
By Debbie Colgrove, About.com Guide

Ten sewing projects for Thanksgiving projects.  I am drawn to # 7 project for window treatments.Smile

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #377 on: November 05, 2010, 09:16:44 AM »

I was sent a link to some cute monkey pictures.  I captured some of them: 

http://www.peoplepets.com/photos/funny/cute-monkey-faces/1

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #378 on: November 05, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »

those are cute monkeys Klaas!

Nana29
Monkey Junky

Happy Independance Day!God Bless America!

« Reply #379 on: November 05, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »

These are great Klaas!
This is my fav!   

Children are living jewels dropped unstained from heaven.
God is good, but never dance in a small boat.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.