March 28, 2024, 03:07:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #56 9/30/10 - 12/17/10  (Read 262648 times)
Nana29
Monkey Junky

Happy Independance Day!God Bless America!

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »

CBB...that is priceless!

Children are living jewels dropped unstained from heaven.
God is good, but never dance in a small boat.
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 01:45:46 AM »

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 01:47:39 AM »

Check this calendar out.  It is highly recommended for people with ADHD and organizational issues:

http://www.weekdate.com/how_it_works.htm

Was that a hint? LOL!

I saw it on an ADHD website and thought some of us might be able to use it.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 01:49:32 AM »

Klaas, I can't wait until show and tell day where she has to bring in a picture of her favorite animal, holds up a picture of you, points to it and says "monkey."

Monkey Devil!

I believe in miracles!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »

Check this calendar out.  It is highly recommended for people with ADHD and organizational issues:

Was that a hint? LOL!

Bearly, I think it's an excellent tool especially the wall mounted version.  I know someone that has a very busy schedule and has trouble staying organized.  Thank you for the link.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »

Klaas, I can't wait until show and tell day where she has to bring in a picture of her favorite animal, holds up a picture of you, points to it and says "monkey."

Monkey Devil!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nana29
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »

Check this calendar out.  It is highly recommended for people with ADHD and organizational issues:

Was that a hint? LOL!

I just thought maybe someone had a hidden camera in my bedroom or something....     Monkey Devil!

crazybabyborg
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »

Was that a hint? LOL!

I just thought maybe someone had a hidden camera in my bedroom or something....     Monkey Devil!

I can't even find my bedroom floor right now!! I'm still in "post Garage sale" mode! The problem is that my 'puter is in my bedroom and it's much more inviting than the piles of stuff that need organizing and put away!

I told KuBear it was high time she earned her keep, but instead of putting stuff away, she just turns around and around, paws at it and lays down! We belong together!   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »

Was that a hint? LOL!

I can't even find my bedroom floor right now!! I'm still in "post Garage sale" mode! The problem is that my 'puter is in my bedroom and it's much more inviting than the piles of stuff that need organizing and put away!

I told KuBear it was high time she earned her keep, but instead of putting stuff away, she just turns around and around, paws at it and lays down! We belong together!   

Nana29
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:47 PM »

Was that a hint? LOL!

Hubby didn't believe I know where everything is...til I pulled my tennies out to wear today(been in flip flops which I still call thongs). CBB, my puter is in here also...I do keep a path from here to the door and make one for hubby to the bed when he is home. Don't know what his issue is(hehe)    Monkey Devil!

I will get to it...maybe ... someday, *sigh*.   

cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 12:59:49 AM »

Klaas, I dont post much , but read waaay to often...Just wanted to tell you congratulations on your beautiful new grandbaby.She is adorable!!!!!!

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 02:44:02 AM »

Hiya Cubbee!!     Good to see you!
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 05:31:52 AM »

How your brain improves as you get older

In most areas of cognitive skill, we’re at the top of our game in midlife, not in our 20s. » Life satisfaction peaks at age 65

We Get Smarter

When it comes to most areas of cognitive performance, we’re at the top of our game in midlife, not in our 20s as many had thought. One of the most respected long-term studies, the Seattle Longitudinal Study, has found that most people are better at reasoning—which involves problem-solving and vocabulary skills—from ages 40 to 60 than they were in their 20s. So while we may be having trouble recalling the names of acquaintances, we’re surprisingly better at memorizing lists of words, getting the gist of arguments, making judgments of character and even juggling finances.

We’re also getting better at solving problems. Through the years, our brains have built up interwoven layers of knowledge that allow us to instantly recognize similarities and see solutions. One friend, a doctor in her mid-50s, says that when she gets into a hospital room now she can immediately size up the situation, which means she can often figure out what to do more quickly and easily.

And perhaps best of all, scientists are finding that this is not your mother’s middle age: Each generation is smarter in middle age than its parents were.

We’re Happier

We have all been conditioned to dread a time of midlife crises and empty nests. But there is no evidence for such widespread angst. Those who are in crisis, the studies show, have tended to have crises throughout their lives—meaning they didn’t all of a sudden crop up in middle age. Most of us are instead becoming more content. In part this is because our brains start reacting less to the negative and shifting to focus more on the positive. Perhaps we realize, on some subconscious level, that we have less time left. But we also have accumulated enough information over the years to help us put our energy into what might work when faced with a problem, rather than harp on what might not.

Several studies have confirmed that middle age is a pretty happy time. One recent large study from the University of California at Berkeley found that women’s moods and self-esteem—as well as their ability to regulate emotions— improved in midlife, when they became more confident, assertive and responsible. And a 22-year study of 2,000 men by scientists at Fordham University found that life satisfaction actually peaked at age 65 regardless of health, marital or financial status.

We Can Prevent the Loss of Brain Cells, and Even Generate New Ones

For years, scientists thought our brains lost up to 30 percent of their neurons as we got older. Now research shows that we keep most of our brain cells for as long as we live. Exercise helps, by pumping blood through our brain’s blood vessels and prompting the creation of new brain cells, even at older ages. Research from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has found that middle-aged people who did regular stints of aerobic exercise—such as brisk walking—had increased volume in key brain areas and were better at a wide range of complex cognitive tasks, such as focusing and ignoring irrelevant information.

And while it’s true that we can lose the important connections between brain cells if they are unused, the flip side is also true: We can nourish these connections and help foster new ones by pushing our brains to keep working hard. One long-time researcher at Columbia University says that if we want our grownup brains to stretch, we have to present them with a “disorienting dilemma,” something that pushes us out of our comfort zone. This can include learning to play the cello, tackling challenging Sudoku puzzles, or even confronting ideas and people who disagree with us. By reading a book with a different political point of view, for example, we challenge the assumptions that have built up in our brains over time (even if we don’t change our minds). The result is that we end up with a more nuanced view of the world— something our middle-aged brains both crave and excel at.

Since delving into all this research, I have gained a new respect for the talents of my grownup brain. My physical body may be a little creakier than it used to be, but that’s OK. Knees come and go—we can even have them replaced—but we hang on to our brains. And those brains have built up rich connections that make us smarter, wiser and happier than we were when we were younger. They let us, in an instant, make sound judgments: good choice, bad choice, friend or foe?

One friend of mine, a woman in her mid-50s who has been an editor for years and recently had to deal with her mother’s long illness, her daughter’s unhappiness at college and her husband’s brush with a serious disease, said that even though she often feels stressed-out, she also feels quite competent.

Some days, she told me, she finds herself putting bananas in the laundry basket, but at the same time, she said, “I feel like there’s not one problem, professional or personal, that I could not manage.” I couldn’t agree more.

Based on The Secret Life of the Grown-Up Brain by Barbara Strauch.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:28 AM »

Check this calendar out.  It is highly recommended for people with ADHD and organizational issues:

Was that a hint? LOL!

Bearly, I think it's an excellent tool especially the wall mounted version.  I know someone that has a very busy schedule and has trouble staying organized.  Thank you for the link.   

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 06:04:34 AM »

Was that a hint? LOL!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 06:05:56 AM »

Was that a hint? LOL!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:38 AM »

Was that a hint? LOL!

Hubby didn't believe I know where everything is...til I pulled my tennies out to wear today(been in flip flops which I still call thongs). CBB, my puter is in here also...I do keep a path from here to the door and make one for hubby to the bed when he is home. Don't know what his issue is(hehe)    Monkey Devil!

I will get to it...maybe ... someday, *sigh*.   

OMG!  Hubbie!  I think I lost him in here somewhere in the  80's.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 06:09:39 AM »

Klaas, I dont post much , but read waaay to often...Just wanted to tell you congratulations on your beautiful new grandbaby.She is adorable!!!!!!

Hey cubbee!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 06:15:19 AM »

How your brain improves as you get older

In most areas of cognitive skill, we’re at the top of our game in midlife, not in our 20s. » Life satisfaction peaks at age 65

We Get Smarter

When it comes to most areas of cognitive performance, we’re at the top of our game in midlife, not in our 20s as many had thought. One of the most respected long-term studies, the Seattle Longitudinal Study, has found that most people are better at reasoning—which involves problem-solving and vocabulary skills—from ages 40 to 60 than they were in their 20s. So while we may be having trouble recalling the names of acquaintances, we’re surprisingly better at memorizing lists of words, getting the gist of arguments, making judgments of character and even juggling finances.

We’re also getting better at solving problems. Through the years, our brains have built up interwoven layers of knowledge that allow us to instantly recognize similarities and see solutions. One friend, a doctor in her mid-50s, says that when she gets into a hospital room now she can immediately size up the situation, which means she can often figure out what to do more quickly and easily.

And perhaps best of all, scientists are finding that this is not your mother’s middle age: Each generation is smarter in middle age than its parents were.

We’re Happier

We have all been conditioned to dread a time of midlife crises and empty nests. But there is no evidence for such widespread angst. Those who are in crisis, the studies show, have tended to have crises throughout their lives—meaning they didn’t all of a sudden crop up in middle age. Most of us are instead becoming more content. In part this is because our brains start reacting less to the negative and shifting to focus more on the positive. Perhaps we realize, on some subconscious level, that we have less time left. But we also have accumulated enough information over the years to help us put our energy into what might work when faced with a problem, rather than harp on what might not.

Several studies have confirmed that middle age is a pretty happy time. One recent large study from the University of California at Berkeley found that women’s moods and self-esteem—as well as their ability to regulate emotions— improved in midlife, when they became more confident, assertive and responsible. And a 22-year study of 2,000 men by scientists at Fordham University found that life satisfaction actually peaked at age 65 regardless of health, marital or financial status.

We Can Prevent the Loss of Brain Cells, and Even Generate New Ones

For years, scientists thought our brains lost up to 30 percent of their neurons as we got older. Now research shows that we keep most of our brain cells for as long as we live. Exercise helps, by pumping blood through our brain’s blood vessels and prompting the creation of new brain cells, even at older ages. Research from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has found that middle-aged people who did regular stints of aerobic exercise—such as brisk walking—had increased volume in key brain areas and were better at a wide range of complex cognitive tasks, such as focusing and ignoring irrelevant information.

And while it’s true that we can lose the important connections between brain cells if they are unused, the flip side is also true: We can nourish these connections and help foster new ones by pushing our brains to keep working hard. One long-time researcher at Columbia University says that if we want our grownup brains to stretch, we have to present them with a “disorienting dilemma,” something that pushes us out of our comfort zone. This can include learning to play the cello, tackling challenging Sudoku puzzles, or even confronting ideas and people who disagree with us. By reading a book with a different political point of view, for example, we challenge the assumptions that have built up in our brains over time (even if we don’t change our minds). The result is that we end up with a more nuanced view of the world— something our middle-aged brains both crave and excel at.

Since delving into all this research, I have gained a new respect for the talents of my grownup brain. My physical body may be a little creakier than it used to be, but that’s OK. Knees come and go—we can even have them replaced—but we hang on to our brains. And those brains have built up rich connections that make us smarter, wiser and happier than we were when we were younger. They let us, in an instant, make sound judgments: good choice, bad choice, friend or foe?

One friend of mine, a woman in her mid-50s who has been an editor for years and recently had to deal with her mother’s long illness, her daughter’s unhappiness at college and her husband’s brush with a serious disease, said that even though she often feels stressed-out, she also feels quite competent.

Some days, she told me, she finds herself putting bananas in the laundry basket, but at the same time, she said, “I feel like there’s not one problem, professional or personal, that I could not manage.” I couldn’t agree more.

Based on The Secret Life of the Grown-Up Brain by Barbara Strauch.

Thanks, seahorse!

I would print this out except I wouldn't remember where I put it!

I believe in miracles!
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »

Hey CBB and Bearly! CBB... I could use some new fall attire when you get a chance...pretty please? TYIA

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.