April 27, 2024, 07:08:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #56 9/30/10 - 12/17/10  (Read 263759 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #700 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »

Awwww, how adorable!   

Thanks for sharing Klaas, she's going to grow up so fast! 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #701 on: December 02, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »

Awwww, how adorable!   

I couldn't agree more.  That smile, she looks so mature.  Just beautiful.   an angelic monkey

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #702 on: December 02, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »

Awwww, how adorable!   

I couldn't agree more.  That smile, she looks so mature.  Just beautiful.   an angelic monkey

Elegant.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #703 on: December 02, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/02/finger-flipping-crosswalk-sign-fixed/

Finger-Flipping Crosswalk Sign Fixed

Published December 02, 2010 | FoxNews.com

There's "Walk," "Don't Walk" and "Say WHAT!?!?"

A “Don’t Walk” signal at a crosswalk in Spokane, Wash., sent a most impolite message to pedestrians on Wednesday, "flipping the bird" at people waiting on the corner until the city got around to fixing it.

The electronic sign's raised hand, the universal signal to stop, was working fine. But it was missing some fingers -- two on the left and one on the right -- leaving the middle digit proudly standing alone.

"The Bronx Salute," they called it in Spokane. The Bronx had no comment, which probably was just as well.

Spokane spokeswoman Marlene Feist said no offense was intended. It was all because of bad weather, she said.

“We fixed it, snow was embedded in the electric sign,” she told Foxnews.com.

She described the signal's message as "unintentional" and said it wasn't fixed quickly because city workers' first priority was clearing the snow from the roads, not the signs.

Monkey Devil!

Nana29
Monkey Junky

Happy Independance Day!God Bless America!

« Reply #704 on: December 02, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »

A “Don’t Walk” signal at a crosswalk in Spokane, Wash., sent a most impolite message to pedestrians on Wednesday, "flipping the bird" at people waiting on the corner until the city got around to fixing it.

The electronic sign's raised hand, the universal signal to stop, was working fine. But it was missing some fingers -- two on the left and one on the right -- leaving the middle digit proudly standing alone.

"The Bronx Salute," they called it in Spokane. The Bronx had no comment, which probably was just as well.

Spokane spokeswoman Marlene Feist said no offense was intended. It was all because of bad weather, she said.

She described the signal's message as "unintentional" and said it wasn't fixed quickly because city workers' first priority was clearing the snow from the roads, not the signs.

Monkey Devil!

I am most definitely sending this to my SIL who lives there! I told her I have never liked Spokane, 'cuz it's dirty! LOL!

Children are living jewels dropped unstained from heaven.
God is good, but never dance in a small boat.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #705 on: December 03, 2010, 03:55:52 AM »

Monkey Devil!

That is funny. But I can see it in New York and not by accident

GOD BLESS AMERICA
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #706 on: December 03, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »

25 Amazing Uses for Baking Soda You've Never Thought Of

(Kitchen)

8. To open up a partially clogged drain, pour a half cup of baking soda into it. Follow this with a cup of vinegar. Allow the solution to bubble for several minutes, then run hot water down the drain.

http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll?fromspage=ch/c.htm&categoryid=&pnum=4&bfromind=23669&eeid=7527252&_sitecat=1960&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=6&ck=&ch=hg&cat=hg&_lid=550&_lnm=homegarden.moreheadlines.ac.articles

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Nana29
Monkey Junky

« Reply #707 on: December 03, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »

Please keep my(trucker) hubby in prayer. He is very ill in Homedale,ID and has made it to a clinic there. Do not know if it is flu, or spider bite(due to redness,heat on one leg) or what. I know I have never in our 30 plus years known him to be this ill.

BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #708 on: December 03, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »

Patty Cake Cats....Too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3iFhLdWjqc
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #709 on: December 03, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »

Please keep my(trucker) hubby in prayer. He is very ill in Homedale,ID and has made it to a clinic there. Do not know if it is flu, or spider bite(due to redness,heat on one leg) or what. I know I have never in our 30 plus years known him to be this ill.

Nana, you and your hubby are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he can be quickly diagnosed and treated.  Please keep us posted. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #710 on: December 03, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »

Patty Cake Cats....Too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3iFhLdWjqc

BK that is so cute.  ::MonkeyHaHa::Thanks for sharing.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #711 on: December 03, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »

Prayers for you and hubby Nana.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #712 on: December 03, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »

I am not sure if this is the proper place to put this.  I am just soooo excited about it:

As some of you know, my youngest sister has a massive stroke more than a year ago.  Her ability to communicate is limited, on a good day.  This case is a huge victory for victims with disabilities!

NAA Update on the Case of Ruby McDonough

The NAA  would like to share information about this precedent setting case in MA.
We are proud to have been involved from the onset and invited to sign on as an
"Amicae Curiae" in the amicus brief filed by the National Disability Rights Network
(NDRN) in the McDonough appeal.

An "amicus brief" is a document filed in a case by someone who is not a party to
the case but is interested in the outcome. National organizations sometimes file
an amicus brief in a case that has the potentially of having an impact on other
persons who are similarly situated to one of the parties to the case. It is an opportunity
to inform the court about broad policy issues that it might consider in deciding
the case.

This case involves a crime victim who was denied an opportunity to have the crime prosecuted due to a communication disability that the court failed to accommodate.
Other crime victims with communication disabilities in Massachusetts might be affected by the result in this case, and more broadly courts in other states might be influenced by the outcome. Given the potentially broad impact that this case might have on other crime victims with communication issues, an amicus brief is an important vehicle for informing the court about reasonable accommodations that courts can provide which make it possible for individuals to testify despite their disabilities.

Through  the unwavering commitment of her attorney, Wendy J. Murphy, and the support of NAA friends including Jerry Kaplan and Paul and Judy Dane, Ms. McDonough has retained her rights. This has ensured that disabled crime victims are entitled to accommodations to ensure their equal access to Justice in criminal cases.  In particular, this is a strong, positive step in advocacy for the more than 1 million Americans living with aphasia.

The NAA thanks all those involved especially Ms. Murphy and NAA President Emeritus, Alan Bandler.

Below is Ms. Murphy's summary of the events of the case for your information:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earlier this month, Ruby McDonough was in a Massachusetts court fighting for her
rights as a crime victim with a disability.  Ruby, who has aphasia, was sexually
assaulted in 2009 by a male nurse's aide at the nursing home where she has lived
since suffering a stroke more than ten years ago.

As with many aphasic persons, Ruby has trouble communicating in narrative style.  But she had no trouble telling her family, the staff and the police exactly what happened.

The man accused of violating Ruby was charged with sexually assaulting Ruby in early 2009.  During pretrial proceedings his attorney asked that Ruby be subjected to a competency hearing. A court-appointed expert evaluated Ruby and found her to be mentally competent, though noted that she would need accommodations to help her communicate at trial, such as being allowed to answer in yes and no fashion, use gestures and images, and being allowed sufficient time to reply when more of a narrative was necessary.

The court did not allow ANY accommodations, and Ruby was made to testify at her own competency hearing without any help.  Thus, when defense counsel asked things like "tell us what happened", Ruby struggled.  At one point, defense counsel stood between Ruby and the perpetrator and asked whether Ruby could "see" the man who abused her.  Clearly use of the word "see" in such circumstances is unfair, and a fully abled person could simply have responded, "no, I can't SEE him because you're blocking my view" - but he is right there behind you".  Ruby knew the attorney was trying to trick her, so she became frustrated and emotional.  The court ultimately found her not competent to testify.

This is when I became involved as Ruby's private attorney.  A lawyer from the Victims' Rights Law Center had been assigned to represent Ruby at the competency hearing, but that attorney filed no pleadings, objected to nothing that occurred during the hearing and never once argued that Ruby's rights under the Americans With Disabilities Act were being violated by the court's refusal to afford Ruby any accommodations.
Some advocacy groups as a matter of policy refuse to aggressively represent the
interests of crime victims, which is why it is critically important for a victim
to ask around and to get feedback before agreeing to utilize the legal services
of certain "victims' rights" groups.

I filed a special appeal for Ruby to the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, arguing that Ruby's rights under the ADA had been violated, and that the violation caused her to be illegally adjudicated incompetent.  After a hard fought battle during which the prosecutor and defense both opposed our effort, we finally prevailed in August, 2010.  The court not only ruled that Ruby's rights had been violated, it established brand new rules to ensure that the rights of all disabled crime victims will be better protected.  The landmark decision was a first of its kind court ruling and makes clear that persons with disabilities not only have a right to things like wheelchair ramps to ensure they get IN to the courthouse, they have a right to accommodations that will enable their "full and equal" testimonial and participatory rights as WITNESSES in criminal cases.  Given that persons with disabilities are disproportionately victimized by criminal violence, in part because perpetrators anticipate they will not be held accountable - especially if the victim has a communication disability - this new court ruling means that many more victims will be allowed to testify and criminals will be better deterred from selecting vulnerable individuals to be their victims.

After announcing its new decision, the Supreme Judicial Court sent the case back
to the trial court where Ruby's rights had been violated.  When we went back to
the trial court in October, we expected the judge to rule that Ruby would now be
allowed to testify, but instead the judge announced that Ruby would have no such opportunity because the perpetrator, an illegal immigrant, had been sent to Miami for immediate deportation.  The judge also refused to simply reverse the illegal ruling that had labeled Ruby "incompetent".

I decided to file another appeal to the state supreme court, after which we went
back again to the trial judge in November, hoping that this time the perpetrator
would be present so that Ruby could have her day in court.

To our delight, the perpetrator showed up, and the judge completely changed his attitude, finally acknowledging not only that Ruby was entitled to all sorts of
accommodations, but also that she would indeed be allowed to testify at trial. 
The judge essentially ruled that because the basis for the earlier decision on competency had failed to recognize Ruby's capacity to testify with accommodations, she had a right to take the stand at trial and utilize all reasonable accommodations to facilitate her communications as a witness against her assailant.

The trial date is now set for January 12, 2011.

Needless to say, Ruby is very excited that her dignity has been restored and her
voice will be heard.  Win or lose, Ruby's strength and perseverance in this case
have helped ensure equal justice for all persons with disabilities.

We are grateful that members of the aphasia community were in court with Ruby during the last two court hearings.  We hope to see support for Ruby again on January 12.

The aphasia community has been extremely helpful in more ways than I can say in
this brief summary.

Thank you - and Happy Holidays.

Wendy Murphy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The National Aphasia Association
Ellayne Ganzfried, Executive Director
Amy Coble, Info/Admin Coordinator

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #713 on: December 03, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »

Nana29,

Sounds like an infection of some sort.  I do hope & pray they will help him at the clinic. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Nana29
Monkey Junky

« Reply #714 on: December 03, 2010, 06:01:13 PM »

Nana29,

Sounds like an infection of some sort.  I do hope & pray they will help him at the clinic. 

Could not find bite of any sort. All doc could say was massive infection(what we thought were flu symptoms originally), gave him a shot, sending him home with antibiotics and pain pills. I would imagine he will have to go in to see our doc when he gets home.There is another truck on the way there now to get him home. Thanks for all the prayers and being here for me.   

crazybabyborg
« Reply #715 on: December 03, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »

Nana, I'm glad he got medical attention when he did and that he's coming home where you can keep an eye on him! I'm keeping him...... and you..... in my prayers!!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #716 on: December 03, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »

Nana29,

Could not find bite of any sort. All doc could say was massive infection(what we thought were flu symptoms originally), gave him a shot, sending him home with antibiotics and pain pills. I would imagine he will have to go in to see our doc when he gets home.There is another truck on the way there now to get him home. Thanks for all the prayers and being here for me.   

We're here, Nana29.  Keep us posted on how he is doing once home and in your care (& your doctor's care, too!!). 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Nana29
Monkey Junky

« Reply #717 on: December 03, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »

Nana29,

We're here, Nana29.  Keep us posted on how he is doing once home and in your care (& your doctor's care, too!!). 

I am posting thru tears of gratitude for all of you. It amazes me that although I have only been here a short time and have never met you in person, I feel like family. I feel God brought me here and I thank God daily for each and every one of you.

That said, I am gonna try to nap before he gets home, I want to be feeling better so I can tend to him.

sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #718 on: December 03, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »

hi everyone,

i don't really post in here much but i was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to survive the breakup of an emotionally abusive relationship.  i just ended all contact with my emotionally abusive ex today and had verizon block him from calling me or texting me.  he has emotionally blackmailed me for the past 6 months into staying with him by threatening to call my job and make up lies about me, and all sorts of other crazy things.  i was weak at the time, and stayed out of fear that he would try to ruin my life. today i finally couldn't take it anymore and ended contact once and for all after he sent me a string of disgusting text messages.  he has never threatened to hurt me in anyway, but the emotional abuse was so traumatizing.   has anyone else ever experienced anything like this before?  part of me feels bad about breaking up with him and bad for hurting him, i know it's insane for me to feel guilty for hurting him but I just couldn't take it anymore. i'm sorry, i just needed to vent.  thanks for listening/reading
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #719 on: December 03, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »

Sunshine - It has been my experience that when an emotionally abusive partner is trying to hang onto to the other so tightly as he is to you that he likely has someone else he's seeing.  It's almost as if they get mad at themselves and take it out on you.  Sometimes realizing that the guy is mostly FOS helps.   

That said, you sure you want what you posted in an open forum.  What if he reads it?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:59:52 PM by klaasend » Logged
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.