April 25, 2024, 02:25:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teresa Marie Halbach (body found) Murder Trial-Steven Avery GUILTY  (Read 59083 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2007, 07:37:57 PM »

Teresa Halbach case

Posted July 31, 2007

Steven Avery gets public defender to appeal homicide conviction
Suzanne Hagopian not sure what issues appeal would address

By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer

Steven Avery’s new attorney says it could be months before she knows what issues
she will raise in the appeal of his homicide conviction.

Randy Kraft, public information officer for the Office of State Public Defender, said Wednesday that Suzanne Hagopian, who has been with the public defender’s Madison office for 17 years, will handle the appeal.

Avery, 45, is serving a prison sentence of life without possibility of parole in the Oct. 31, 2005, murder of Teresa Halbach, a 25-year-old freelance photographer from Calumet County.

Avery’s nephew and co-defendant in the case, 17-year-old Brendan Dassey, is scheduled to be sentenced to a life term when he appears Thursday in Manitowoc County Circuit Court.

“I think we are talking not weeks but months,” Hagopian said of her review of Avery’s five-week trial. “This is not the typical appeal record.”

The state Department of Justice, which handles criminal appeals, declined comment on when its involvement in the appeal will begin. An assistant attorney general, Tom Fallon, was a special prosecutor in the case.

Hagopian said she would talk to Avery and his trial attorneys, Dean Strang of Madison and Jerome Buting of Brookfield, but said the first step is to get the “voluminous” trial transcripts.

The court reporter has 60 days from the request – which Hagopian has filed – but can ask for an extension.

“We are talking literally thousands of pages,” she said. “I am hoping to start reviewing some of the early transcripts in the next couple weeks.”

She said her job would be helped by Avery having good trial attorneys.

“They are absolutely top notch,” she said of Buting and Strang, who were paid $240,000 by Avery.

Hagopian worked briefly in private practice and then for the state Legislative Reference Bureau before joining the public defender’s office.

She said she couldn’t even guess how long the appeal will take.

“In terms of start to finish it is hard to say, but I certainly have my work cut out for me.”

THE CONVICTIONS

Steven Avery, 45, of Mishicot, was convicted of first-degree intentional homicide and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon after a six-week trial.

He was sentenced June 1 to life in prison without parole, plus five years, by Manitowoc County Circuit Judge Patrick Willis.

Brendan Dassey, 17, Steven Avery’s nephew who lived on the Avery property, was convicted as an adult with being a party to sexual assault, first-degree intentional homicide, and mutilation of a corpse.

He faces a life sentence plus 72˝ years in prison when Manitowoc County Circuit Judge Jerome Fox sentences him Aug. 2.

Avery has been transferred to the Dodge Correctional Institution, and Dassey is being held in the Manitowoc County Jail.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?action=post;topic=819.60;num_replies=79

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2007, 09:54:39 AM »

Mad Mad Mad This definitely upsets me to no uncertain end.  How can our system even waste time with such monsters???  It would be the same for me if Charles Manson was going through the appeals process - WHY???  He has already publicly declared he would do it again if he were out and about.

How SICK!!!

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »

well this is the way our system works.  the criminal has more rights than the victim.  I doubt the appeal will come to anything, but it will be just more tax dollars spent.  Avery's trial and prosecution alone ran over a million dollars which is a lot considering the population of this area.

An interesting footnote to all this is that Steven Avery has been transferred again to a facility which has greater security.  At first glance it was thought that he was in danger, but it turned out the reason for the transfer was because they feared for the safety of the other inmates.  Avery is now being kept in isolation so he can not harm any of the inmates.

Brendan Dassey's sentencing hearing is tomorrow.  It will be interesting to see if he also gets life without parole.

Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2007, 03:35:23 PM »

Thank You Great Owl - and why doesn't any of what you said about the safety of other inmates being in danger by him - surprise me???  I know what you mean about more tax dollars being spent, for someone with no regard for life.  I get so frustrated by this.   Mad

I will still stick with what I had said (way back when) about that original rape that he served the 18 years for.  I still believe he had something to do with that.  I realize DNA enhonorated him but I tell you what, I think just like anything else, people make mistakes, things get botched up - whatever.  Who knows, perhaps some one's crooked hand got in there to begin with and changed samples.  Nothing would surprise me!  This man seems to be as evil as they come. 

And a little side thought here, if he truly was innocent the first time around, wouldn't he come out grateful that his life was given back to him, and do everything within his power to ensure his freedom???  Not go out and rape and kill the first innocent person to come along??? 

I don't believe he is human on any level.  I don't believe our states (any of them) should even allow appeals by monsters like this.  It is a waste of money and a waste on so many other levels.  The lawyers who have to listen to this nonsense, the judge also.  The poor Halbach family.  I am sure I can go on and on.   

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »

Sentence caps 21-month Halbach homicide case

Teresa Halbach case

The convictions

Steven Avery, 45, of Mishicot, was convicted of first-degree intentional homicide and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon after a six-week trial. He was sentenced June 1 to life in prison without parole, plus five years, by Manitowoc County Circuit Judge Patrick Willis.

Brendan Dassey, 17, Steven Avery’s nephew who lived on the Avery property, was convicted as an adult with being a party to sexual assault, first-degree intentional homicide, and mutilation of a corpse. He was sentenced to life in prison bility date in 40 years by Manitowoc County Circuit Judge Jerome Fox.

Avery has been transferred to the state prison system, and Dassey is being held in the Manitowoc County Jail.

Posted August 2, 2007

Brendan Dassey eligible for parole in 41 years
17-year-old gets mandatory life sentence in Halbach death

By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer

MANITOWOC — A judge today sentenced a 17-year-old boy convicted of the murder and mutilation of Teresa Halbach to life in prison, but said he would be eligible for parole in 41 years.

Manitowoc County Judge Jerome Fox said Brendan Dassey needs a lengthy sentence to protect society and, punish him and provide for his rehabilitation.

He said a date of Nov. 1, 2048, and set 20 years of sentences for sexual assault and mutilation of a corpse concurrent.

“It is that, eligibility, and there is no assurance it will come to pass,” Fox said. “There is a need for punishment.”

Fox decided the sentence as prosecutors asked for a minimum 50 years before parole eligibility and the defense asked for 20 years.

The sentence was imposed as Dassey continued to maintain his innocence, and claim police coerced him into confessing.

“I didn’t do it and I couldn’t do anything like that,” Dassey told the judge.

Dassey and his uncle, Steven Avery, were convicted this spring in separate trials for the Oct. 31, 2005 rape, murder and mutilation of Halbach, a 25-year-old freelance photographer from Calumet County who was last seen photographing a van Avery was selling for Dassey’s mother.

Avery is serving a sentence of life without parole eligibility.

Fox said Dassey was barely 16 when he raped, killed and mutilated a “blameess victim” and “exceptional young woman” lured to the scene by Avery, and ignored her pleas for help.

“He involved himself in unimaginable crimes.

“While Avery was the primary motivating force, nothing prevented this defendant from saying no.”

The presentence investigation did not recommend a specific sentence, but recommended that Fox set a parole eligibility date to give the teen “light at the end of the tunnel.”

Halbach’s family asked for a sentence of life without parole.

“He could have been a national hero or a murderer, and he chose to be a murderer,” said Halbach’s aunt, Kay Giordana, “He is a coward and a disgrace.”

Halbach’s younger brother, Mike Halbach, said Dassey’s rejections of plea deals and recanting of his confessions show the teen has not taken responsibility.

“Rapist and murderer or hero? It’s such an easy decision that anyone who chooses the former has to be held accountable,” he said.

Halbach’s older brother, Tim Halbach, also asked for no parole.

“In the past 21 months he has not apologized for his actions or shown any remorse.”

Dassey’s relatives, however, asked for leniency.

Dassey’s mother, Barb Tadych, said her son was coerced into confessing.

“I don’t think he oughta deserve life,” she said.

Brad Dassey, Brendan’s half brother, said “my brother does not deserve life.

“He is a young child for god’s sake, and I just pray you go easy on him.

“The brother I know is a fun-loving brother who wouldn’t hurt anybody.”

Calumet County Dist. Atty. Ken Kratz, the special prosecutor, said the brutality of the crimes is rare, and urged Fox to set a 50 year parole eligibility date.

He said he feels Dassey would not have gotten involved without Avery’s influence.

But Kratz said Dassey chose to get involved in the incident, and didn’t tell police what he knew for four months.

“He chooses to blame police for what he calls his ‘involvement.’ “

“His attitude will put the community at risk, and that is not something I want to subject the people of Manitowoc County to.

“It is chilling.

“The protection of the public requires a lengthy sentence.”

Oshkosh attorney Mark Fremgen, who represented Dassey, said Dassey deserves a chance to become a contributing member of society, and asked for a 20-year parole eligibility date.

“I don’t think this is a typical sentence, but this was (before his arrest) a typical teenager.

“Brendan Dassey is a follower,” and unsophisticated.

He said Dassey was low functioning, had reading deficits and had a low IQ, and was “socially awkward and shy.”

“I think there should be light at the end of the tunnel.

“Treating him different (from Avery) is appropriate.”

http://tinyurl.com/39elsr

Jennifer34
Scared Monkey

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »

I think the statement ... "He could have been a hero, but CHOSE to be a murderer" pretty much sums it up.  The mere fact that he was involved in this and continually covered it up for four months shows clearly he deserves a LIFE sentence.  So his life starts at 58.  That is more than TH or her family gets.  I can only imagine what he will be when he gets out.  I wish both of them could have gotten the death penalty. (personally speaking)
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »

I think the statement ... "He could have been a hero, but CHOSE to be a murderer" pretty much sums it up.  The mere fact that he was involved in this and continually covered it up for four months shows clearly he deserves a LIFE sentence.  So his life starts at 58.  That is more than TH or her family gets.  I can only imagine what he will be when he gets out.  I wish both of them could have gotten the death penalty. (personally speaking)

I could not agree more Jennifer34!!!  This life in prison completely frustrates me.  They are fed (even if they don't the best meals) they are clothed (even if it means the same outfit) they have use of libraries, gyms, and the bottom line is, they have shelter (even if it is the worst type of roof over their heads) for the rest of their days.  I think of the victim's families, I think even of people who want and try for a better life, and don't even have that much.  WASTE OF TAX DOLLARS!!!   And I still believe many (not all but many) of these monsters would truly think twice before committing these crimes if they knew they could get caught and have their own life taken away.

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
Jennifer34
Scared Monkey

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:23 PM »

exactly sleeks.  When your worst consequence is two hots and a cot, what is the deterant?  And for God sakes just how useful to society is he going to be at 58 after he has free loaded off the taxpayers for 41 years.  Look at what his freak of an uncle turned into.  I am an eye for an eye kind of person myself.  Until there are substantial consequences for this barbaric behavior I am afraid nothing will change.  At least on death row, most of them seem to "find God".  Sounds harsh I know, but probably not near harsh enough when it pertains to the family of the victims.
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »

exactly sleeks.  When your worst consequence is two hots and a cot, what is the deterant?  And for God sakes just how useful to society is he going to be at 58 after he has free loaded off the taxpayers for 41 years.  Look at what his freak of an uncle turned into.  I am an eye for an eye kind of person myself.  Until there are substantial consequences for this barbaric behavior I am afraid nothing will change.  At least on death row, most of them seem to "find God".  Sounds harsh I know, but probably not near harsh enough when it pertains to the family of the victims.

I do not think it sounds harsh at all!!!  As my Avatar shows, I too am an eye for an eye person myself (any more questions  Smile ) And you are right - the victims go through years and years of torture.  Sorry prison - there really isn't enough torture there. 

In fact, so many that have gone missing (and are still missing) there doesn't seem to be enough resources or concern for them.  Prior to my signing back in, I was surfing looking for updates, leads, anything on some of these missing persons.  Sadly, I did not find a thing.  But we're (I mean society) is going to waste time worried about the rights of someone (not even someone - I don't consider him a human) like Avery's rights.  I can just rant about the injustice of this mess for hours.  I too think there should be a deterant!!!  In other places where harsher punishment is enforced - there is in fact less crime.

Some people may even argue with you & I and say something entirely stupid -like the nephew was still a kid - my answer to that; how old do you have to be before you know right from wrong???  Personally, I don't even care if this individual came from a twisted family either, bottom line, we all (each and every one of us) have a choice.   

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2007, 07:32:02 PM »

Sleeks I am with you on your last post.  We are seeing more crime and more heinous crime done by younger people.  I read about people getting car jacked by 14 year olds.  Well, those 14 year olds aren't anything like I was when I was 14...They aren't like kids anymore, when they do this.  Some of them are more like animals with no remorse.  They know right from wrong, but do they care?  A 14 year old can kill you just the same as a 20 or 30 year old if they have a gun or there are a group of them.  And sometimes they are on meth or crack or whatever.  Scarey stuff.  The bottom line is:  do they know right from wrong?  Did they know it was wrong to rape or kill and torture?  When Teresa was murdered, it wasn't a sudden crime of passion.  This kid helped take part in some very, very gruesome things, that I think many adults couldn't stomach.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2007, 12:34:30 AM »

Sleeks I am with you on your last post.  We are seeing more crime and more heinous crime done by younger people.  I read about people getting car jacked by 14 year olds.  Well, those 14 year olds aren't anything like I was when I was 14...They aren't like kids anymore, when they do this.  Some of them are more like animals with no remorse.  They know right from wrong, but do they care?  A 14 year old can kill you just the same as a 20 or 30 year old if they have a gun or there are a group of them.  And sometimes they are on meth or crack or whatever.  Scarey stuff.  The bottom line is:  do they know right from wrong?  Did they know it was wrong to rape or kill and torture?  When Teresa was murdered, it wasn't a sudden crime of passion.  This kid helped take part in some very, very gruesome things, that I think many adults couldn't stomach.

Muffy Bee, I am in complete agreement.  The age of accountability is far younger than it was when you & I were growing up.  We were properly taught how to respect our elders (like it or not) we were taught right from wrong.  The drugs that were around when we were growing up were serious for sure, but nothing like what is out there today.  All too often these criminals are completely without remembrance of what happened or how, when, or why it happened.  And sadly - there is no remorse, they are under the impression that they had the right to do such things. 

This Brendan Dassey - I just cannot fathum in my wildest dreams, who looks up to a sub-human to such an extent that he would actually participate in what he participated in.  I don't care how insignificant he felt or insecure, he KNEW right from wrong, yet he chose wrong.  Instead of being a young man and having some Balls (sorry if I'm not supposed to post that) and doing the right thing - he chose to basically worship his twisted uncle and join in.  He SHOULD HAVE ran out of there screaming for help.  Yet he saw her screaming for help and pleading for her life and HAD NO MERCY WHATSOEVER.  All I can say to him is Bye Bye!!! And definitely GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2007, 07:51:05 AM »

This is perhaps that last chapter in this terrible ordeal.   The video may not be self starting so you may need to click on the arrow to begin

http://www.postcrescent.com/includes/newspaper/assets/slideshows/APCdassey/index.html

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2007, 08:13:40 AM »

I had promised that if a cleaner copy of Teresa's own video became available I would post it.  I think this is the best I have found so far.  I have not been able to download it to a computer yet.  I am still looking for such a site

This is a very sad video given the circumstances, yet it does celebrate life.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070602/VIDEO0101/70601213

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2009, 08:28:53 AM »

Steven Avery's attorneys to argue for new trial in Halloween 2005 murder of Teresa Halbach
Judge schedules Sept. 28 hearing

APPLETON — A hearing has been scheduled on a motion asking for a new trial for Steven Avery, who was convicted in the Halloween 2005 murder of Teresa Halbach.

Calumet County Dist. Atty. Ken Kratz, who was the special prosecutor for the Manitowoc County case, said the Sept. 28 hearing will begin at 9 a.m. and last the entire day. Manitowoc County Judge Patrick Willis ordered the hearing Wednesday after a telephone conference between attorneys involved in the case.

Avery, 46, of Mishicot, was convicted of first-degree intentional homicide and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon after a six-week trial in 2007. Willis sentenced him to life in prison without parole, plus five years.

Avery's nephew, Brendan Dassey, 19, was convicted of being a party to sexual assault, first-degree intentional homicide and mutilation of a corpse at a separate trial. Manitowoc County Judge Jerome Fox sentenced him to life in prison, with parole eligibility in 2048. An appeal of his case is pending.

Halbach, a freelance photographer from St. John in northern Calumet County, was slain at the Avery family's auto salvage yard near Mishicot, and parts of her burned body were found at the yard and at Avery's land next to the salvage business.

Public Defender's office attorneys Suzanne Hagopian and Martha Askins filed the post-conviction motion last month, saying that Avery should have been allowed to show that other people, including his two brothers, had the motive and opportunity to kill Halbach.

In the motion for a new trial, Avery's attorneys said that by excluding this evidence, the judge took away Avery's right to a fair trial.

Kratz and Tom Fallon, an assistant attorney general who served as special prosecutor during Avery's trial, will handle the state's motion in the Avery case.

Kratz said the hearing will include testimony and said the parties will be ordered to file more briefs after the hearing, according to the scheduling conference with Willis.

Avery's attorneys said Willis should have relied on relevancy tests in Wisconsin statutes rather than precedent from a 1982 state Court of Appeals case in deciding whether to allow the defense team to accuse others of the crimes.

"Clearly, the defense was unable to argue that other specific individuals may have been responsible for Ms. Halbach's death," the appeal said.

DNA testing excluded members of Avery's family, including his parents, as being the source of a bloodstain on Halbach's car. In the appeal, the attorneys say that admitting this evidence opened the door to allowing evidence that someone besides Avery could have been responsible.

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20090720/SHE0101/307210004/1062/SHE01/Steven-Avery-s-attorneys-to-argue-for-new-murder-trial

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »

Avery in court Monday

Published : Sunday, 27 Sep 2009, 8:03 PM CDT

MANITOWOC - One of Wisconsin's most notorious convicted murderers will be back in court Monday. Steven Avery's attorneys are asking for a new trial.

More than two years ago, Avery was convicted of killing Teresa Halbach.

It has been nearly four years since Teresa Halbach's family reported her missing. The 25-year-old photographer was last seen at the Manitowoc County property belonging to the Avery family. A freelance photographer, she was there to take pictures of a van for sale, for auto trader magazine. In the days following Halbach's disappearance, investigators combed the Avery salvage yard and residential property. Halbach's SUV and eventually her remains were discovered there.

While police investigated, Steven Avery said he hoped Halbach would return. He also said the reason police were spending so much time at his property was not to search for evidence, but to frame him.

"No, no, I would never do nothing like that," Avery told FOX 11 in early November of 2005, when asked if he was involved in Halbach's disappearance.

In mid-November of 2005, Steven Avery was charged in Halbach's disappearance. But it wasn't the first time Avery had been arrested. In 1985, Avery was arrested for rape. He served 18 years in prison after being convicted of rape and attempted murder, and was then exonerated by DNA evidence.

As he adjusted to life outside of prison, Avery filed a lawsuit, asking Manitowoc County for $36 million to make up for his wrongful conviction. Avery said the lawsuit was a reason for the county to frame him for Halbach's murder. The lawsuit was settled after Halbach's death, and Avery took home about $240,000.

While Avery was in jail awaiting trial for killing Teresa Halbach, police continued their investigation and made a second arrest in the case. The case led them to then 16-year-old Brendan Dassey, Avery's nephew. Investigators questioned Dassey during a videotaped interview where he detailed Halbach's death.

Dassey was later found guilty of homicide and sexual assault charges.

Nearly a year and a half after Avery was arrested for Halbach's disappearance, his trial began. It lasted six weeks. In court, Avery gave his reason for not taking the witness stand: "I'm an innocent man. There's no reason for me to testify. Everybody knows i'm innocent."

But the jury did not believe Avery was innocent, and found him guilty of first degree intentional homicide and being a felon in possession of a firearm. At Avery's sentencing Halbach's family members and Teresa herself were spoke, through a video she had made in her early 20s.

Avery was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Just a few months ago, Avery's new attorneys filed a request for a new trial, saying Avery did not get a fair trial two years ago. The attorneys could not ask the jury to consider anyone else being responsible for Halbach's death. Avery's attorneys claim a number of people could have killed Teresa Halbach, including Avery's own family members.

Family members on both sides of this case have attended court proceedings during the last four years. Teresa's brother Mike Halbach has been the spokesperson for his family. "Never in my life did I anticipate being part of something like this and I certainly hope I never have to do it again," Halbach said in December of 2005.

Though Avery's attorneys are hoping he will go to trial again, it will be up to the judge to decide of their arguments have merit.

Avery's hearing is expected to last all day Monday. The judge who presided over Avery's 2007 trial will hear motions, effectively asking him to change his mind. If those efforts are not successful, the issue would then likely go to the court of appeals.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local_manitowoc_steven_avery_in_court_monday_20090925_rev1

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »

Update: Halbach family reacts to Avery ruling

Last Update: 1/25 5:29 pm 
MANITOWOC COUNTY  - A Manitowoc County judge has denied Steven Avery's request for a new trial.

Avery was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole in 2005, for the slaying of 24 year old Teresa Halbach.

In arguing for a new trial Avery's attorneys alleged that his previous trial was marred by a number of procedural errors.

They said one juror was granted dismissal even though deliberations had already begun. They also said the juror didn't give a strong enough reason to justify dismissal.

But today Judge Patrick L. Willis ruled that the court used its best discretion in decisions, including dismissing the juror who said the trial was putting strain on his marriage, during avery's trial.

Teresa Halbach's brother, Mike Halbach, said this in response to Judge Willis' ruling: "We are relieved to hear that Judge Willis ruled against Steven Avery's request for a new trial.  While this does not bring Teresa back, it does help return a sense of peace to our lives.  Throughout the judicial process, we placed our faith in law enforcement and the prosecution team and were confident the outcome would be in our favor.  We remain extremely grateful to be surrounded by those committed to the goal of justice for Teresa."
http://www.wfrv.com/news/local/story/Update-Halbach-family-reacts-to-Avery-ruling/5y9vjBaVr0-yWY1D3ivZCw.cspx

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »

Did Steven Avery Do It? 5 Theories About Who Really Killed Teresa Halbach

January 7, 2016 by Amelia McDonell-Parry

http://crimefeed.com/2016/01/did-steven-avery-do-it-5-theories-about-who-really-killed-teresa-halbach/

Last month, much hype surrounded the release of Netflix’s “Making A Murderer” docu-series, which examined the case of Steven Avery, a Wisconsin man who spent 18 years in prison for rape before being exonerated by DNA evidence — and then, two years later, found himself back behind bars for an even worse crime: the 2005 death of 25-year-old Teresa Halbach. His teenage nephew, Brendan Dassey, was also convicted for her death in a separate trial.

Avery has maintained his innocence throughout— as has Dassey, after recanting an earlier confession that led to the charges — and the defense posited at trial that Manitowoc County officers had framed Avery for the crime by planting evidence. Ten years in the making, Netflix’s 10-episode series delves into Avery’s long history with the Manitowoc County Sheriff’s Department, providing further context for his framing defense through original interviews with Avery’s family and attorneys, and examines the police investigation and chain of events that led to Avery and Dassey’s convictions.

Avery’s most prominent detractors — like Prosecutor Ken Kranz, and the long list of Wisconsin police officers involved in the investigation — declined to participate in the series and are thus seen mostly through courtroom footage and media interviews. Alternately, Avery’s biggest supporters — including his parents and his two impassioned attorneys, Dean Strang and Jerry Buting — did cooperate with filmmakers, resulting in a documentary series that some claim is skewed in favor of Avery’s innocence.
big snip 

Evidence: The amount of evidence found on the Avery property — including Halbach’s remains and her car – has led many to surmise that if Steven Avery and Bobby Dassey are innocent, the real killer would still likely be someone who had similar access and opportunity, both to Halbach herself and the Avery property. A number of other Avery family members also lived on the property at the time, including Tadych, Janda and all four of the Dassey boys. It was Janda’s car that Halbach came to photograph for Auto Trader magazine, and Tadych more than likely was privy to her visit. Bobby Dassey testified to seeing Halbach taking pictures of his mother’s car, and both men had access to the various locations where evidence was found. Neither was fingerprinted or submitted DNA, and the trailer where they lived was not searched, so there’s no way of knowing if there was evidence linking them to Halbach’s murder, because they were not investigated.

Other Evidence: Bobby is believed to be Tadych’s accomplice in this theory, based on the fact that the pair conveniently alibi each other for the time of the murder. Both claimed to have gone hunting that afternoon/evening, but not together, and said they passed each other on the highway during the window of time Halbach is believed to have been killed – but there are no other witnesses to offer further corroboration.

Tadych, meanwhile, has a long history of being violent towards women, and showed a strange level of enthusiasm for his brother-in-law’s conviction (he called it “the best thing in the world ever”) despite knowing his son-in-law, Brendan, was facing similar charges. Meanwhile, Bobby Dassey’s testimony at trial had notable inconsistencies and misleading statements, and an unrelated examination the same week as the murder reportedly revealed that Bobby had scratches on his back. Additionally, shortly after Halbach’s death, a coworker of Tadych’s claimed that he was trying to sell a .22 rifle, the same as the gun believed to be the murder weapon, which he said belonged “to one of the Dassey boys.”

Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2016, 05:16:43 PM »

Here we Are Monkeys.   The power of online social media, mass streaming and direct public social response to the nth.   I have always considered SM a pioneer in web-discussion advocacy and some of the best sleuthers on the web.  In discussing the brutal murder of Teresa Halbach, these issues have come full circle ( Netflix highest watched series ever,  2nd largest launch IMDB and reddit at 42,000 members of the sub)  

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:18:23 PM by klaasend » Logged
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »

Here we Are Monkeys.   The power of online social media, mass streaming and direct public social response to the nth.   I have always considered SM a pioneer in web-discussion advocacy and some of the best sleuthers on the web.  In discussing the brutal murder of Teresa Halbach, these issues have come full circle ( Netflix highest watched series ever,  2nd largest launch IMDB and reddit at 42,000 members of the sub)  

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/34M2zdLc-2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

e
Curious. About the thoughts on this case from forum members? Guilty or wrongly convicted?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »

Don't miss part two on tonight's Dana Pretzer show!

Click on the link below at 9pm ET:

http://scaredmonkeysradio.com/radio.m3u
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.