April 25, 2024, 09:13:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adaptive Clothing  (Read 12111 times)
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »

2NJsons - I imagine you did this - a Google search on "adaptive clothes"? -  I did and got quite a few returns. Below is one that has shoes, nearly all with velcro (others are just slip ons), including sneakers.

http://www.clothingsolutions.com/dept.asp?dept_id=15

Also, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of taking shoes to a good repair shop, and clothes to a tailor/alterations shop. (Or possibly you know a good seamstress.)

An old friend of my mother's started having problems with things that zipped up the back, and other items that had smallish buttons. Somehow a mutual acquaintance got her together with a woman who sews, and she did some pretty nifty tricks.

And I suspect there are imaginative shoe repair shops. Don't have personal experience with anything beyond a broken leather purse strap, but it doesn't seem that it would be too hard to convert lace ups to velcro - especially if they don't have to be a fashion statement.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 06:12:08 PM »

Thank you, msmarple.  I did search and that's how I found the term 'adaptive clothing' and found several sites.  Nonesuche also suggested tailoring as an alternative.  It was something I had not immediately thought of.  There is only one shoe repair place left in our area...it's about 15 miles from here.  That is probably because leather soles have been replaced with composition....and you are right, a purse may be mended more likely than shoes in this day. (I'm as old as dirt;)

Dad is a dementia resident at the facility....many of them are wanderers, therefore they are in and out of the buildings to the gated courtyards where they can walk, walk, walk...and they DO!   Since it's finally gotten cold here, and because Dad mentioned wanting to buy a new, warmer coat with snaps...my search began (his heavier jacket sits in his closet...zipper too hard for him).  He has several pair of shoes with velcro....just was looking for boots for snow & cold temps.  I didn't have much time to search today, but maybe tonight I will look, again.  

Aside from having him dressed well, we also have to deal with missing clothing...even though all items are marked with his name.  Saturday, there were several pairs of pants in his room that were not his, as well.  Some of the name labelling is not clear to the care givers.  

Again, thank you for your help.  It is very much appreciated.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »

NJ Sons Mom-

I don't know if you sew, I do but cutting out the metal or plastic part of a zipper from it's webbing really isn't hard. Fray chek is something I even use on ribbon ends to stop fraying too, very easy to use.

Just an FYI, velcro is sold in packs at sewing stores and Michael's and JoAnne's carry it too? You can attach it with just a few hand stitches too, just be sure you have a thimble for pushing the needle thru the pieces requires a bit more push than typical fabric. You can even whipstitch around the outside of the velcro dots they sell, very easy even for a non-sewer. The back of the velcro is sticky so it will hold in place for you to stitch it quite readily.

hope that helps, I know you worry about your Dad, good luck with this.

I continue to stand with the girl.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »

Hey, None....I have 2 sewing machines, and a bunch of sewing stuff that has been sitting for some time.  I used to make my kid's costumes, with velcro and a lot of other things, like window dressings, etc....maybe not the best seamstress but functional....Let's just say it's like ironing...only do it when absolutely necessary...(I know, some love ironing)  Very Happy  Wink

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »

Well my mom made me learn to sew when I grew to 5'10" by my first year in high school, just so I could let out the hems on all my junior clothes  Laughing now I'm glad she did but like you, I don't choose to sew !

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Well my mom made me learn to sew when I grew to 5'10" by my first year in high school, just so I could let out the hems on all my junior clothes  Laughing now I'm glad she did but like you, I don't choose to sew !

Well, our Moms could have been out of the same mold.  Mine used to tell me as a teen to learn to do things with my hands...sew, knit, crochet, etc.  She even tossed a crochet booklet at me one day and said learn this in your spare time so you will have something to do when you get older.  Can't tell you how many things I've started that are unfinished.  It was never my thing.  Both she & my grandmother made beautiful things.  My grandmother taught me embroidery, and I have many pieces she did...tablecloth, pillow cases, towels, doilies....I have a bedspred my mother crocheted...If I can't do it in one sitting, it may suffer from neglect.  

I was 5'9", so not as tall as you, but many of my HS friends made their own clothes regardless of sixe, and/or income.  I made my attempt at a few and wore them through college, actually.  Facings & zippers were my challenge.. Laughing

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 09:51:37 AM »

Facings I can do, zippers back then were a nightmare  Laughing now they have better machine feet to do that job !

My mother made me learn needlepoint, sewing, flower arranging, and of course ballet, music, and art?

I was very busy  Laughing but I'm glad she did now. I did learn to make somethng out of next to nothing  Laughing

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 11:03:13 AM »

2njsons

Its very easy to put the snaps on,  you can pick up a kit right at any craft place like JoAnn's or Michael's or whatever you have down there.

If I can do it, anyone can and most of the time, you can find someone at the store that can talk you through it.  

BTW,  I am heading up to LLBean's store in freeport this weekend,  they have an outlet store.  I can check there for you too.  

Good luck

Ms.DV

Maine, born and raised!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

Thank you, Ms DV....LL Bean was also on our list.  As we find possibilities will contemplate how alterations can be made.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »

Here's an inexpensive boot, called "after ski" (looks warm, has thick deep tread soles, one velcro strap). $30.

http://activesportswearoutlet.stores.yahoo.net/itziafskibof.html

Also, trying looking at the Sears & JC Penny web sites.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 07:22:20 PM »

Just another little bit of info,  i used to order  these high-top velcro "sneaker'boot"combos for my father, but i don't see them listed on-line. Maybe they will send you a catalog if time is not a big problem.....

Also this Co. has a few neat things...for example there is a long sleeve plaid shirt that has what appears to be a button down fron, but actually is small velcro closures.
http://www.buckandbuck.com/disability_clothing.shtml

Good luck shopping, your Dad is lucky to have a caring daughter...... Smile

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 10:38:49 PM »

Quote from: "bleachedblack"
Just another little bit of info,  i used to order  these high-top velcro "sneaker'boot"combos for my father, but i don't see them listed on-line. Maybe they will send you a catalog if time is not a big problem.....

Also this Co. has a few neat things...for example there is a long sleeve plaid shirt that has what appears to be a button down fron, but actually is small velcro closures.
http://www.buckandbuck.com/disability_clothing.shtml

Good luck shopping, your Dad is lucky to have a caring daughter...... Smile

bb, those sneaker velcro boots is what I was thinking of, but they go back a few years...I guess, but I thought they would be light weight and perfect for him.....  Had not seen this site.  Thank you so much.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 12:49:58 PM »

I see those boots all the time at goodwill, where LL Bean brings their discarded items.

Maine, born and raised!
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.