April 19, 2024, 08:58:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roy Rogers' trusty steed, Trigger, on the Auction Block......  (Read 1305 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: July 10, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »

'Stuff' of legend
Roy's horse on the block

Last Updated: 4:19 AM, July 6, 2010
Happy trails to . . . the highest bidder.

Roy Rogers' trusty steed, Trigger, which the late cowboy had preserved and mounted, will ride off into someone's living room when it's sold at auction later this month.

One of the most famous horses in history, the golden palomino is expected to fetch an estimated $200,000 on July 14 at Christie's.

Trigger is being sold along with the similarly preserved remains of Rogers' German shepherd, Bullet; the colt Buttermilk, which belonged to Rogers' late wife, Dale Evans; and even Trigger Jr.

"It really appeals to the baby boomers," said Christie's spokeswoman Kate Brambilla.

The sale of the collection from the now-closed Roy Rogers Museum is expected to generate roughly $1.4 million, with all proceeds going to the family.

Born in 1934 on a ranch owned by Bing Crosby, Trigger entertained movie and television audiences for three decades.

When Rogers was in search of a new horse, Trigger was brought to him along with a handful of other steeds. But after riding the palomino just 100 yards, Rogers never looked at another. He bought him for the then-astronomical sum of $2,500.

"He would turn on a dime and he'd give you nine cents change," Rogers later quipped.

The name Trigger was chosen by Rogers' sidekick, Smiley Burnette, who was struck by the horse's quick reaction time.

Trigger was a showbiz natural -- Rogers once noted that he "seemed to know when people were watching him and that he recognized applause and just ate it up like a ham."

His more than 100 tricks included counting, doing the hula, untying ropes, shooting a gun, knocking on doors and walking on his hind quarters.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/roy_horse_on_the_block_bDjNVGiQ2FMNHHFRfvCynI

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.