April 19, 2024, 11:11:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larry Schnackenberg 58, KS Last Seen 7/8/10 (FOUND ALIVE!)  (Read 6708 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 13, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »

Hat tip:  ospainter

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_kansas/johnson_county/lenexa-police-ask-for-help-in-finding-missing-man
Crowds of friends search for missing man
Man's car turned up at area park Thursday
July 9, 2010
LENEXA, Kansas - A Johnson County man has been missing since Thursday afternoon.

Friday from 3:30 until almost dark, friends and family searched part of Shawnee Mission Park. The search resumed Saturday morning, as the group mapped out their next search areas.

They searched wooded areas, and swarmed across fields on the west side of the park.

They searched for clues about what happened to Larry Schnackenberg, a father of five who was last seen around 12:30pm Thursday.

He was supposed to have picked up a son for a dentist's appointment, but didn't show up.

"Larry's just a terrific family man and this just doesn't make sense, it's not right. And if it were me, he'd be the first one in line to come and look," said Ellen Norburg.

She's known Larry for 20 years.

She's gotten bloody scratches from scrambling through the thick brush.

"I was out here earlier and I thought, how would anyone ever go through this," Norburg added.

Many of the 500 searchers are students and parents from Shawnee Mission West high school, where Schnackenberg's children attended.

Friends say his youngest child is still a student there.

Lindsey Potter is among those who also helped search three summers ago when Kelsey Smith, a West student, disappeared.

She had been kidnapped and killed.

"It's just kind of heartbreaking, twice around the same time of year," said Potter.

Now Kelsey's parents are helping organize this search.

Larry's car was found by shelter house number eight, near a hiking trail.

Schnackenberg's family says his car was found around 6:30 p.m. Thursday with his ID, wallet, and cell phone in the car.

Police searched the area for several hours near his car.

Then the volunteer effort took over.

"Maybe we can find something that will help the police, maybe we even find Larry. That's the bottom line. Maybe he's out here wandering around, maybe he's hurt," said Greg Smith, Kelsey's father.

Kelsey's army has become Larry's army.

Friends worry.

They say the disappearance is out of character for a stable family man who was looking forward to celebrating his daughter's wedding next weekend.

Smith says they found some cell phones, clothing and sunglasses, but have no idea whether those are helpful clues.

The items have been turned over to police.

The search starts up again Saturday morning at 9:30 at shelter house eight in Shawnee Mission Park.

Bring plenty of sunscreen, water and bug spray.

Volunteers are also being asked to bring extra ice and fruit like oranges and grapes.

Friends and family have also established a Facebook group to help spread the word about  Schnackenberg's disappearance.

Schnackenberg is described as a 58-year-old white male, about 6 foot 1 and 225 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white polo shirt and tan shorts.

If you have seen him or know anything about his whereabouts, call the Lenexa Police Department at (913) 477-7301 or the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:45:08 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »

http://www.kmbc.com/news/24226357/detail.html
(With Video)
Family, Friends Continue Search For Lenexa Man
Prayer Vigil Held For Missing Larry Schnackenberg
July 12, 2010

(snip)
Schnackenberg's Ford Explorer was found at Shawnee Mission Park Thursday night, a few hours after he went missing.

Lenexa police said Monday afternoon that Schnackenberg remains missing.
(snip)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

Father still missing as daughter's wedding nears

Last Update: 10:38 am 

LENEXA, Kansas (AP) — The search continues for a 58-year-old Lenexa man who has been missing since he didn't show up to take his son to a dental appointment on Thursday.

The Kansas City Star reports Larry Schnackenberg's SUV was found that evening in Shawnee Mission Park with his keys, cell phone and wallet in the unlocked vehicle.

His family says he was excited about his daughter's wedding, which is Saturday, and he had spent the previous night writing the toast he planned to give.

The retired Hallmark Cards employee was last seen leaving a computer store around 1 p.m. Thursday. By 3 p.m., family members couldn't reach him after he didn't pick up his youngest son.

Family members are sure foul play is involved, but Lenexa police say there is no evidence of any crime.

http://www.ksn.com/news/state/story/Father-still-missing-as-daughters-wedding-nears/LwAtuC3y90qzjoFZl9d1Ug.cspx

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »

Schnackenberg Family Scales Back Search
Missing Man's Family Say Police Tracking Down Leads
POSTED: 11:24 am CDT July 13, 2010

The family of Larry Schnackenberg said they are scaling back the searching for the Lenexa missing man.

They said Lenexa police are tracking down leads and they hope one of them will produce the answers they so desperately need.

The family's desperation is even more poignant because one Schnackenberg's daughters is scheduled to be married this Saturday. Michael Schnackenberg told KMBC's Martin Augustine that his sister and her fiance are still attempting to determine whether to go ahead with the wedding or not.

Schnackenberg was last seen Thursday afternoon. A few hours later, his vehicle was found parked outside a shelter at Shawnee Mission Park. His personal belongings, including cell phone and wallet, were found inside his vehicle.

Extensive searches have taken place of the park, but no sign of Schnackenberg was found.

Michael Schnackenberg said the family was comforted by the outpouring of support at a candlelight vigil Sunday night. He said that helped bring some measure of peace.

"I was speechless after it. It was so uplifting," Michael Schnackenberg said. "It kind of revived our spirits after the long weekend."
 http://www.kmbc.com/news/24242531/detail.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:52 PM »

Posted on Thu, Jul. 15, 2010 11:14 PM

A dive team from Lee’s Summit searched a section of Shawnee Mission Lake on Thursday night but found no signs of a missing Lenexa father of five.

The search was called off about 11:30 p.m.

Larry Schnackenberg’s 2003 Ford Explorer was found at the lake, near Shelter 8, on July 8. He hasn’t been seen since that day.

Officials brought in search dogs from Missouri earlier Thursday. After one dog “hit” near a ravine leading toward the lake, authorities decided to again search part of the lake, which they had examined earlier with sonar.

“We want to make sure we cover as many bases as we can,” said Officer Dan Friesen, a Lenexa police spokesman.

Before vanishing, Schnackenberg spent hours running errands. He was last seen leaving a computer store at 77th Street and Quivira Road at 12:57 p.m. July 8. His family found his Explorer just before 6:30 p.m. that day.

His ID and keys were in the driver’s seat. His checkbook, wallet, cell phone and computer also were in the vehicle.

Police have said there were no signs of foul play in the car or the park. The department has classified the disappearance as a missing persons case.

Schnackenberg had been looking forward to his daughter Kristen’s wedding and had spent the night before he disappeared writing a toast for the occasion. She was scheduled to get married Saturday, but she and her fiancé reportedly have decided to postpone the wedding while the search for her father continues.

Anyone with information is asked to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (474-8477) or Lenexa police at 913-477-7301.

Posted on Thu, Jul. 15, 2010 11:14 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/15/2087012_divers-hunt-for-missing-man-at.html?storylink=omni_popular

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-story-schnakenberg-missing-lake-071510,0,5955897.story

VIDEO
Searchers Comb Lake for Missing Lenexa Man
Web Staff
9:53 PM CDT, July 15, 2010

yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »

He has been found alive.  News is still trickling out, one report says he was disoriented and needed medical attention, another said he had bug bites and was dehydrated, yet another said he had a campsite.  It's still too soon to have anything concrete.
yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 02:29:06 AM »

Still not much in the way of detail.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-larry-schnackenberg-found-072810,0,3267756.story

LENEXA, Kan. - Lenexa Police have confirmed that a man missing since July 8 was been found alive. Police said Larry Schnackenberg was taken to the hospital Wednesday for evaluation after he was found near a walking trail on 51st Street, but would not talk about his condition.

Police said a Johnson County park patrol officer found Schnackenberg walking along a trail at approximately 2:20 p.m.

[fair use snip]
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »

WoW!! Smile

Missing man, Larry Schnackenberg, found alive on Shawnee trail

A Lenexa man missing for three weeks was found alive this afternoon wandering along a trail in Shawnee.

Larry Schnackenberg, 58, was taken to a hospital for observation. He may need to be treated for exposure to the elements, police said.

A Johnson County park safety aide, who knew Schnackenberg and recognized him, found the missing man about 2:20 p.m. near a trailhead in the 6100 block of Barker Road.

Friends rejoiced at the news.

“I know the family and a lot of people kept praying for a miracle, and this is a miracle. They get him back,” said family friend Jane Miramontez.

Lenexa police are not sure where Schnackenberg has been since he disappeared July 8, more than a week before his daughter’s wedding. Hundreds of volunteers helped search for him after his Ford Explorer was found at Shawnee Mission Park.

Now, police are trying to determine where he’s been and why he didn’t contact authorities or family members.

“We are still learning things,” said Dan Friesen, Lenexa police spokesman.

The park safety aide, Rick Reynolds, said he’d known Schnackenberg since their sons were involved in youth sports together years ago.

Reynolds was on routine patrol — biking the trail looking for anyone who might need water or directions — when he spotted Schnackenberg walking toward him. He recognized Schnackenberg immediately.

He said Schnackenberg appeared to have lost a lot of weight and had many insect bites, but otherwise seemed fine.

Reynolds quickly contacted Johnson County Park Police, who arrived with firefighters and transported Schnackenberg to a hospital.

Reynolds said Schnackenberg did not elaborate on his situation.

“When I found him, I talked about how happy his family was going to be,” Reynolds said. “What he was doing and what had transpired for the 20 days he was out here, I don’t know.”

In a news release, Friesen said the family and Lenexa police would like to thank the community.

“At this time, the family is attending to Larry’s medical needs,” he wrote. “During this time of reunion please respect their privacy.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/28/2114232/missing-man-larry-schnackenberg.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:30:17 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »

wow! that is great news for the family...
wonder what the heck he has been doing all this time...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 11:45:04 AM »

wow! that is great news for the family...
wonder what the heck he has been doing all this time...

ITA      Great news for the family!

And yes, I surely do wonder where he's been and what he's been doing all this time.   

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »

Posted on Thu, Jul. 29, 2010
Missing man’s family ’thrilled’ he’s home
By LAURA BAUER
The Kansas City Star

From his hospital bed, Larry Schnackenberg hasn’t told police much of what happened in the past 20 days when people across the country were searching for him.

But he told investigators enough to know that there’s not much left for them to do. So for now, investigators are done with the case.

“Just the fact that he disappeared and didn’t want to be found is not a crime,” said Officer Dan Friesen, Lenexa Police spokesman. “There is nothing to indicate any crime has been committed.”

Schnackenberg disappeared July 8, nine days before his daughter was set to get married. Family found his Ford Explorer at Shawnee Mission Park with his cell phone, keys, wallet and ID inside.

Police searched. The community searched. Crews searched parts of Shawnee Mission Lake twice.

Schnackenberg didn’t surface until yesterday when a parks employee — who happened to know Schnackenberg — on routine patrol stumbled upon the Lenexa father of five walking along a trail. Schnackenberg was shirtless, covered in insect bites with blotches of poison ivy. He’s being treated for exposure, but is in good condition, said Shannon Cates, spokeswoman for Shawnee Mission Medical Center.

Family and friends are with him.

“There were a lot of hugs,” Cates said. “Everyone was very happy to see him.”

Family friend Scot Schwartz was there last night.

“I got to hug him,” Schwartz said. “It was so wonderful. … The family is thrilled. Thrilled to have him home.”

Schnackenberg did give his family some details of the past three weeks, but those have not been released. The family is expected to provide a statement later today.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/29/v-print/2115918/missing-mans-family-thrilled-hes.html

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.