April 26, 2024, 11:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kyron Horman, 7 years old PORTLAND, OR #9 7/23/10 - 7/25/10  (Read 261523 times)
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #640 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2010/07/web_exclusive_a_bloody_find_an.html

Web exclusive: A bloody find on Black Butte and a broken system

By Stephen Kanter

On a recent Friday afternoon, I drove south out of Portland, headed for the soul-restoring Santiam Pass to my cabin on the Metolius River in Camp Sherman. It had been a busy workday, the day following our wedding anniversary, and the glorious Central Oregon night, with a huge moon and countless crystal stars in a clear sky, was all I'd hoped for.

Little did I know that in the next 24 hours, a routine morning hike and the discovery of a bloody sock on the trailhead would lead me into a tangle of bureaucratic bungling and jurisdictional disputes and the realization that a citizen trying to do the right thing can be thwarted by broken, dysfunctional systems.

Indeed, truth is stranger and sometimes more disturbing than fiction.

(snipped)

OS

Wow, that is so disturbing. I can feel the man's pain in trying to explain the sock.  Amazing that no one seemingly took it serious. 
  OMG this sounds like Aruba

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #641 on: July 24, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »

No Rose,  Thanks for the welcome.  I have been "bashfull" about posting and look what I did on my first post!   My "bright" thought had already been posted long ago...

Since reading this site, I have learned so much....sadly I came face to face with the fact that people can be so heartless about children. How do they sleep at night? 
Terri

So nice to have you posting with us, Terri!

A big welcome to the cage!
That's okay, and I never did follow that case, how disturbing to read that.  I wonder how a lot of people sleep at night, after being abusive to others and to animals.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #642 on: July 24, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »

Welcome Terri!   

HopeinVA as DeDe ... hmmm ... I see that as possible.  I read over there for a long time before it just turned into a cliquish squawk fest.  She was pretty vehement in her Kaine bashing ... frighteningly so IMO. 

Where was it that  you read this, please (can you give me a link and area to check?)

Post 624 Scatty posted some comments from Blinks site. Some people were thinking that this HopeinVa was Terri, but it seems to make more sense that it is DeDe, but who knows?
NewfieMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #643 on: July 24, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »

Welcome Terri!   

HopeinVA as DeDe ... hmmm ... I see that as possible.  I read over there for a long time before it just turned into a cliquish squawk fest.  She was pretty vehement in her Kaine bashing ... frighteningly so IMO. 

Where was it that  you read this, please (can you give me a link and area to check?)

Hi Puzzler 

Sorry for the slow response ... I'm multitasking ... or failing to multitask 

I wasn't sure which you were asking so ..

Where did I read that people are thinking it's a possibility?
In a post above - from Blink's site apparently.

Where did I read HopeinVA vehement rantings?
http://connect.oregonlive.com/user/HopeInVA/index.html

... trying to chase down all the Anthony's lies ... this may take a while ...
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #644 on: July 24, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »

Armchair detectives: True-crime websites are nonstop outlets for facts and opinions on Kyron case
Published: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 10:50 AM

No sooner did word break Thursday that authorities were putting the squeeze on a close friend of the stepmother last known to have seen missing second-grader Kyron Horman, a parallel investigation kicked into gear far from Tualatin where DeDe Spicher lives.

In real time, members of true crime Internet forums around the country began searching for the woman's footprint in the public domain.

Forget Googling. Online sleuths unearthed Spicher's health and gardening page on blogspot.com (she's a fitness junkie!), then her Twitter account was revealed. Next came a two-year-old photo on Flicker from a fundraising race, and finally, Spicher's post on Terri Horman's Facebook page 36 hours after Kyron was last reported being seen outside his Skyline Elementary classroom: "Thinking of you and Kaine and praying for Kyron's safe return."

By dawn, the vetting was in full swing. Members of ScaredMonkeys.net and Insessiontrials.com crime forums outed Spicher's father as a member of the Klamath County Sheriff's Office, one of scores of agencies that helped search for Kyron. And threads by commenters on other sites were exploring Spicher's tax, real estate and ancient online records.

"The crime blogs are like Monday morning quarterbacking, only it's everyday, all day and all night," said Michael Vallez, a former Florida police officer turned social media strategist who blogs about the intersection of law enforcement and social media.

Click on sites where meet fans of true crime mysteries, online home to lay criminologists, forensic aficionados and opinionated snoops, and the quarterbacking is more aerobic than armchair. Feverish Web site owners and their volunteer acolytes tap in theories, plot time lines, parse media reports, truthsquad comments and study aerial maps, all in an effort to solve what has baffled the pros: What happened to little Kyron? And the hobbyists' work raises a larger question: has it helped or hindered the real police work?

That depends who you ask. And entering the eighth week since Kyron was seen alive, it may not even be a fair question.

Or even the right question

No one inside the inner circle of the local, regional and federal task force searching for the seven-year-old is answering such queries, although the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office says it is received more than 3,300 tips and welcomes insights on its dedicated tipline.

But online, it takes effort to avoid a whisper campaign playing out along the sidelines of the county's official investigation. Prayers for the boy float in an ocean of suspicion and speculation. In the crimeblog universe of truTV's True Crime Library, Websleuths, Blink on Crime and The Hinky Meter, mystery buffs spoke the conventional wisdom first about TH, as commenters have shorthanded Kyron's stepmother's name, long before sheriff's deputies or the family began raising accusatory eyebrows at Terri Horman. On Facebook, a few dozen supporters of the woman Kyron Horman called "Mom," point fingers elsewhere.

But denizens of the crime sites have their opinions -- and they're doing the virtual legwork to try to prove they're right. Meet "Kimster," a 51-year-old Eugene-area emptynester with a penchant for Ann Rule's psychological true-crime thrillers. Or "ValHall," a 46-year-old aerospace engineer and grandmother from Oklahoma who got snared by the criminal justice bug during the O.J. Simpson trial. Or Tricia Griffith, a 51-year-old former rock radio DJ-turned unsolved mystery message board owner, eking out a living for herself, her 13-year-old son and a menagerie of birds and dogs in Utah.

Griffith is a hobbyist whose Websleuths site has logged over 5 million posts since she bought it in 2004. Her crimeblog doesn't tolerate blatant namecalling and nitpicking and her critics complain that rulebreakers are often banned. But if you have a theory of who did what to whom in the Kyron Horman case, your chatter is welcome, she said. For her part, Griffith is unabashedly suspicious of Terri Horman.

"The stepmother knows more and her whole story doesn't make sense," Griffith said.

What the public is thinking

Trying to make sense of the morass is nothing new for veterans of unresolved mysteries. Look to the head-scratching surrounding the 1997 murder of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey in Colorado, or the 2008 disappearance and murder of little Caylee Marie Anthony or the 2009 disappearance of 5-year-old Haleigh Cummings, both in Florida.  

The brigade of crimebloggers who continue to mine the public record in those cases shifted their energies to Skyline, just north of Portland within hours of Kyron's June 4 disappearance.

"We act as a giant spitballing session," Griffith said. "Then what we can do is write what you, the journalist, are thinking but can't write, and what the members of the public are thinking."

Sometimes the unorthodox sleuthing yields results. Last year, Abraham Shakespeare, a homeless man whose incredible $31 million lotto win in 2006 turned his life upside down, vanished along with a chunk of his lump-sum $17 million payout. When police named Shakespeare's friend Dorice Donegan Moore as the last person to have seen him, Websleuths members began to slog through public bankruptcy records and monitor online scanners. Others posted photographs of the properties on threads where property records were mulled. Volunteer sleuths determined that Moore had purchased two houses, side-by-side, placing the home that turned out to be the crime scene in her boyfriend's name.

Moore reportedly logged onto the Websleuths forum to mouth off anonymously. Griffith checked the IP address against an email Moore had sent and confirmed that it was the prime suspect. "We were talking about her. And she came on to defend herself," she said.

Her protests didn't help. In January, detectives found Shakespeare's body buried at the boyfriend's house, five feet below a concrete slab, and charged Moore with capital murder.

An investigator called to thank Griffith, Websleuths' owner, for saving him the work of having to get a subpoena to determine who really owned the house.

"Law enforcement can get anything they want with a subpoena. But we just dig and search, dig and search and our members culled the information from public files," said Griffith.

More good than harm?

Veterans of high-profile manhunts disagree whether extra eyes do more good than harm.

On the thumbs-up side is former Green River Serial Killer Task Force supervisor Frank Adamson.

Adamson spent 31-years working for the King County Sheriff's Office, the last six overseeing the task force as the department's chief of detectives. Since retiring in 1998, he has volunteered with S.T.A.L.K. Inc., an online team of ex- investigators, profilers and medical professionals that works to help police solve murder cases.

Attention -- online or not -- keeps a marathon case alive with fresh energy and interest, he said. "So from my perspective, I don't think these groups are bad," Adamson said. "I don't think it hurts to have people out there thinking about the case, calling in and sharing their tips."

Here in Oregon, the county sheriff's office responded to emailed questions on Friday, saying "the media attention has helped to keep Kyron in the public’s eyes and minds." But investigators have guarded all but a few case details.

Shy behind a pair of narrow wire-rimmed glasses, Kyron wasn't known as the kind of kid who would wander off in the damp woods outside his school.

It took a week for the missing child case to become a criminal investigation and a few more weeks for the boy's blended family to fall apart. His father, Kaine Horman, has sued for divorce from Terri, accusing her of plotting to have him killed. Kyron's mother, Desiree Young, has accused Terri of failing a pair of polygraph tests and stubbornly refusing to cooperate with authorities. First Michael Cook, a high school classmate of Kaine Horman's, and now Spicher, a close friend of Terri's, stand implicated by association.

Enter Kyron Horman's name in a search engine and nearly 10 million hits come back in seconds.

Michael Vallez, the street cop turned mobile media guru, points out that Facebook this week surpassed 500 million members worldwide, 150 million in the United States.

Watering hole for the mob

Meanwhile, the discussion is brisk at The Hinky Meter, a crime forum run by an aerospace engineer who exchanges emails with Kaine Horman when she needs extra details for her blog posts.

The moderator known as ValHall types out long lists of confirmed facts, debunked rumors and unanswered questions. She is a stickler for walking the fine line between rank speculation and reasonable certainty.

And while she doesn't mention him by name, a specter hangs over her carefully modulated discussion board -- and it isn't Kyron's.

ValHall keeps in mind the late Richard Jewell, the security guard at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics whose journey from hero to bombing suspect and back began when he was named in an Atlanta Journal article as the focus of police attention.
(snip)
EDIT- Nut, oregonlive has requested we not post their articles in entirety, so I've snipped your post.  MuffyBee

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/armchair_detectives_true-crime.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:13:54 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Scandi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #645 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »

This was a comment posted on the bottom of KGW.COM for the article "Who is DeDe Spicher". Does anyone know how to check this out to see if DeDe owns this property too?

no1believes said on July 23, 2010 at 1:24 PM
Interestingly, if you look at Dede Spicher's tax account @ the County for her condo in Tualatin, the mailing address on that tax account is "12712 NW Bishop Rd - Hillsboro, OR 97124"....which is not that far from Kyron's home.
48271689 Flag this comment

Thanks Sabastian,  Very interesting, as on the Thurs evening KGW news the reporter commented that Dede owned the house in Tualatin {as they showed a shot of it on TV} and didn't mention the condo she owns and lives in.  I immediately thought they had made a mistake, but who knows.  Could she have a financial interest in other properties besides the condo?  It's probably nothing but when thinking of where Kyron could have been put it opens up new places.  xox
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #646 on: July 24, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »

Hi Terri, and welcome!   

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #647 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »

Welcome Terri!   

Post 624 Scatty posted some comments from Blinks site. Some people were thinking that this HopeinVa was Terri, but it seems to make more sense that it is DeDe, but who knows?

HopeInVA

http://connect.oregonlive.com/user/HopeInVA/comments.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #648 on: July 24, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »

Welcome Terri!   

HopeInVA

Thank you, ma'm.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #649 on: July 24, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »

Thank-you, and I would imagine that if Terri was my friend that I would be saying to myself and others that I don't think she is involved, only to keep my sanity. But at the same time I would be silently going over the years we knew each other and pointing out weird things if there were any weird things to point out. That also is strange, these people don't seem to be weirdos. Granted DeDe don't look and sound right in the head to me, but it sure appears she has a decent family.

Good Morning no rose

No testimonials have been revealed which cast a negative light on Terri prior to the birth of Kiara.

Janet
8:50 AM PT

++++

I think this cousin of DeDe's, Tom Jones, is legit so I will take another bite from his original post that was brought over here. He mentioned that people who knew TH thought she was a Psycho. That's not really negative testimonials per se, more like hearsay, but I tend to believe him. I'm sorry I couldn't find the actual quote, but it might be on the previous page in this thread.

Here ya go, Scatty.

No testimonials have been revealed which cast a negative light on Terri prior to the birth of Kiara.

Janet

++++

Kyron Horman's blended family: Friends describe a close, supportive group
Published: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 5:36 PM
Updated: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 6:46 PM

According to friends and family, the Hormans are a tight-knit, loving family that enjoys doing things together.

They play board games, go bowling with friends and take trips. In 2009, they visited Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla. Late last year they went to the Roloff Farm in Helvetia where the reality TV show "Little People, Big World" is filmed. And recently, they peered at the animals at the Oregon Zoo.

Terri volunteered at Skyline School, where Kyron was in second grade, and she took him to swimming lessons with James and with Kiara.

"They're very nice people," said Adam Farber, who runs a swimming school and taught Kyron to swim and worked on strokes with James. Farber had no idea until he went missing that Kyron was Terri's stepchild. "They all fit in really well." ....

Family and friends say she is a focused mom.

"She's a pretty attentive mom," said Tarver, her first husband.

Her second spouse, Richard Ecker, has kind words to say about her as well: "She was always a gifted teacher. She did as much for the school and the kids as she could."

He couldn't imagine his ex-wife doing anything to harm a child.

"She would never hurt a child," he said. "She's not wired that way."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

Kaine Horman: "Terri was a good person when we first met"
Posted on July 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Updated today at 1:56 PM

In his response to questions from KGW, Kaine acknowledged that people have commented about 'how could he marry a woman like this' and how could he 'not see this coming.'

In response, he wrote: "Terri was a good person when we first met and for several years (I’d say up until 2008). She was always about children (teaching) and helping them grow and develop. Her attitude was always about those types of things first, her own self not even being a priority close to that. I believe that this is the Terri that everyone else saw and got to know as I did."

"Honestly everyone, including myself, that knew her or knows her did not see this coming. She was not the type of person we are seeing right now," added Kaine Horman.

"There were some signs of emotional distress here and there over the past year and a half but not enough of that directed at any one person to conclude she would be capable of anything even remotely close to events of the severity we have all seen."

http://www.kgw.com/news/Kaine-Horman-Terri-was-a-good-person-when-we-first-met-98620944.html

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #650 on: July 24, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »

Welcome Terri!   

HopeInVA

Thank you, ma'm.

You are welcome Puzzler

Janet

_____

Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #651 on: July 24, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »

Okay, I switched to read the oldest comments first.

First off the bat is a question as to are Terri and/or Kaine member(s) of a swingers' club.

This reminds me of the case some years ago in San Diego...where the parents of a little girl were swingers.  The mom, out dancing one night, met a guy who lived in the neighborhood and had some sort of motorhome-like vehicle.  The guy came into the swinger's house and took a little girl, held her captive for a while in the motorhome and the little girl was later found dead.  I'm sorry, I can't remember the name, but the case was national news and I watched the trial on Court TV.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #652 on: July 24, 2010, 02:52:49 PM »

Okay, I switched to read the oldest comments first.

First off the bat is a question as to are Terri and/or Kaine member(s) of a swingers' club.

This reminds me of the case some years ago in San Diego...where the parents of a little girl were swingers.  The mom, out dancing one night, met a guy who lived in the neighborhood and had some sort of motorhome-like vehicle.  The guy came into the swinger's house and took a little girl, held her captive for a while in the motorhome and the little girl was later found dead.  I'm sorry, I can't remember the name, but the case was national news and I watched the trial on Court TV.

David Westerfield is the monster/neighbor, and little Danielle Van Dam was the little victim to this monster's hand. He is sitting and rotting here in CA on death row. Having lived not so far from all this, I do know the horrific treatment and accusations hurled at Danielle's parents 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #653 on: July 24, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »

DD, you really got me thinking, what if that was Kyron at the airport, if true, that child could be anywhere 
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »

That's what bothers me just because DeDe seems to be up to her eyeballs in something, her brother and parents could be very decent people and are tormented enough with what is going on with all this.
ITA with this nrcg.  The cousin came across as (and made the family seem) very caring.  People who involve themselves in stuff like this seem to have the idea that the actions they take are in a vacuum ... oblivious to how devastating it will be to their family.  I hope that when DDS sees how this is affecting her family she'll change her mind and give LE her full cooperation.
That is one thing that has always overwhelmed me, the person who has committed a crime, all the family, friends, and others whose lives will never be the same because of it.  I hope DeDe does do the right thing.

Good afternoon, Monkey's,

I enjoy all your thoughts, posts and links. . They must have some Doo Doo on DeDe.  People magazine "outed" her along with every media known to mankind.

Monday will be the Full Moon, should be interesting.    Justice for Kyron.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #655 on: July 24, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »

That's what bothers me just because DeDe seems to be up to her eyeballs in something, her brother and parents could be very decent people and are tormented enough with what is going on with all this.
ITA with this nrcg.  The cousin came across as (and made the family seem) very caring.  People who involve themselves in stuff like this seem to have the idea that the actions they take are in a vacuum ... oblivious to how devastating it will be to their family.  I hope that when DDS sees how this is affecting her family she'll change her mind and give LE her full cooperation.
That is one thing that has always overwhelmed me, the person who has committed a crime, all the family, friends, and others whose lives will never be the same because of it.  I hope DeDe does do the right thing.

Good afternoon, Monkey's,

I enjoy all your thoughts, posts and links. . They must have some Doo Doo on DeDe.  People magazine "outed" her along with every media known to mankind.

Monday will be the Full Moon, should be interesting.    Justice for Kyron.
Full Moon    I am hoping since DeDe's dad is in LE he will do what he can to convince her to tell all. But at the same time, that is his only daughter, and I'm sure very protective of her, terrible position for any parent to be in.
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #656 on: July 24, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »

DD, you really got me thinking, what if that was Kyron at the airport, if true, that child could be anywhere 
do you know how far of a travel it would be  for Dede to leave work and bring kyron to the airport.

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #657 on: July 24, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »

do you know how far of a travel it would be  for Dede to leave work and bring kyron to the airport.

We don't know exactly where Dede was working on June 10, to my knowledge.

I believe DD here at SM said the airport sighting happened on June 10.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #658 on: July 24, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »

I have no idea about Portland and their airport, but I sure would like to know also.
Claycat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #659 on: July 24, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »

Hi Terri!  Welcome!

Thanks for the lovely winter avatar, Brandi!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.