March 28, 2024, 04:39:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P. Lorenzen Wright - Former NBA Player dead at 34  (Read 15701 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: July 29, 2010, 07:01:49 AM »

Police find body of former NBA player

Police have reportedly found the body of Lorenzen Wright, a 13-year NBA player missing since July 19, in a wooded area of southeast Memphis.

Citing an unnamed source, the Commercial Appeal newspaper reported on its website that the body discovered was that of Wright, although police officials call their investigation only a "death investigation."

Police received a telephone call on Wednesday from someone who discovered the body.

An investigation is ongoing in Wright's case. Police are looking into a phone call made from Wright's mobile on July 19. He was believed to be carrying a notable amount of cash.

Wright flew from Atlanta to Memphis to visit friends and his six children and had been set to drive back to Atlanta on the day he vanished, last being seen leaving the home of his ex-wife.

Wright's 13 NBA seasons included five with the Memphis Grizzlies in the town where he was a collegaite star.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/7936955/police-find-body-of-former-nba-player

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »

Lorenzen Wright Died of Gunshot Wound, Ruled Homicide

[/img]http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2010/07/wright200729.jpg[/img]

7/29/2010 6:47 PM ET By A.J. Perez
Former NBA and University of Memphis player Lorenzen Wright died as a result of a gunshot wound and police were drawn to the area where his body was found by a 911 call placed more than a week before it was discovered, the Memphis Police Department said in a statement released on Thursday.

The discovery of the body was part of coordinated -- albeit delayed -- effort by a handful of law enforcement agencies who gathered Wednesday morning, hours before their search uncovered Wright's remains.

"Through identification of dental records, the Shelby County Medical Examiner has officially identified the victim as that of Lorenzen Wright," Police Department lieutenant Alan Ruhl said in the news release. "The cause of death has been ruled as homicide by gunshot wound."

The release was the first in which authorities identified Wright, 34, as the body found in southeast Memphis Wednesday afternoon.

Wright was last seen by his ex-wife shortly before midnight on July 18, and family members filed a missing persons report on July 22. Police reportedly didn't originally suspect foul play until a 911 call taken by Germantown, Tenn., dispatcher during the early morning hours of July 19 -- when several gunshots could be heard -- was linked to Wright's cell phone.

Ruhl said police used that call to narrow the search territory.

"The Memphis Police Department will continue this investigation," Ruhl said. "As is done in every homicide investigation, investigators continue to work around the clock to bring justice to Mr. Wright and his family."

Wright was the seventh overall pick in the 1996 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers after he starred at University of Memphis. His last season in the NBA included 17 games with the Cleveland Cavaliers during the 2008-09 season.
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/29/lorenzen-wright-died-of-gunshot-wound-ruled-homicide/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 06:45:07 AM »

God Rest His Soul.

I hope they find the person responsible for his murder.

I feel awful for his family. Six children who no longer have a father....so sad.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »

November 10 2010 Last updated at 04:14 PM ET

Lorenzen Wright Shot at Least Five Times, According to Autopsy

Lorenzen Wright, who was found dead in late July after going missing for 10 days, died after being shot at least five times, an autopsy shows.

According to the report, which was released Wednesday, Wright was shot twice in the head, twice in the chest and once in the forearm. But because the body was badly decomposed, there could have been more gunshots.

Wright likely had a lot of cash on him when he was last seen leaving his ex-wife's home, fueling concerns he may be the victim of foul play, according to a police report from July. Police reported they received a 911 call from Wright's cell phone before he went missing.

In August, Wright's former personal assistant claimed to have recordings of Wright's wife threatening him if he was ever with another woman. The assistant, Wendy Wilson, urged police to examine Sherra Wright as a suspect, but there has been no word from police as to who may have been behind Wright's death.
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/11/10/lorenzen-wright-shot-at-least-five-times-according-to-autopsy/

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lorenzen-wright-ex-wife-arrested-connection-murder-article-1.3702401
Lorenzen Wright’s ex-wife arrested in connection to NBA star’s murder seven years ago
December 16, 2017

The ex-wife of a slain NBA player has been arrested in connection to his murder, according to reports.

Sherra Wright was arrested in Riverside, Calif., on Friday night more than seven years after Lorenzen Wright’s bullet-riddled body was found decomposing in a Tennessee suburb.

While her indictment is still sealed, the basketball player's mother Deborah Marion said police told her Sherra Wright will face murder charges, Fox13 reported.

Billy Turner — a deacon at the church Lorenzen and Sherra Wright attended — was arrested and charged with first-degree murder on Tuesday. He pleaded not guilty.

Lorenzen Wright's murder remained one of Memphis police's highest-profile cold cases until investigators found a murder weapon in Mississippi last month.

The 34-year-old who played for the Cleveland Cavaliers was last seen on July 18, 2010, as he left his ex-wife’s home.

In the early morning of July 19, a police dispatcher in the suburb of Germantown received a call from Wright's cell phone. Dispatchers acknowledged they heard noises like gunshots before the call was dropped.

But dispatchers didn't alert patrol officers or commanders because they couldn't confirm it came from their jurisdiction. They didn't send a patrol officer or relay the information to Memphis police until days later.

Wright's mother filed a missing-person report with Collierville police on July 22, 2010. Authorities in Collierville were accused of dragging their feet in the days after the report was filed, and an apparent lack of communication kept authorities from linking the 911 call to the missing-person report.

Wright, who had bullet fragments lodged in his skull, chest, and right forearm, was found in a field near the woods in the height of summer, complicating the investigation because evidence had likely deteriorated in the heat.

After Sherra Wright was arrested on Friday, Marion expressed her relief and thanked Jesus.

Sherra Wright divorced Lorenzen Wright months before he died, her divorce attorney Gail Mathes told the Daily News in 2010.

She hadn't held a job in 17 years and was nearly $3 million in debt, Mathes said.

While Mathes said she "didn't have any motive to kill because he had no money," her former mother-in-law believes Sherra was driven by her son's $1 million life insurance policy, FOX13 reported.

Lorenzen Wright's former personal assistant also claimed she had audio tapes that show Sherra Wright made threatening comments about her ex-husband.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.