March 28, 2024, 01:24:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #845 8/29/2010 - 9/12/2010  (Read 240522 times)
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »

What is the word (that won't come to my mind right now)  where you give a sworn statement to lawyers
before the trial?  I can't think of it to save me.

Deposition

That is what the Kalpoes are so far refusing to come to California (as ordered by the judge) to give to the Defense.

Thanks, Klaas,
All I could think of was interrogatories.  Close, but no cigar.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

Right.  Without Discovery, the Defendants can't be expected to give a proper defense.  You don't file a case unless you can and will comply with Discovery.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »

Right.  Without Discovery, the Defendants can't be expected to give a proper defense.  You don't file a case unless you can and will comply with Discovery.

Exactly!!   I think the only reason the Kalpoes' attorneys don't drop the suite is because they are
afraid of being left responsible for the legal fees of Dr. Phil and company.  That is why they keep
dragging it out.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »

I remain bloodied but unbowed.

There is no reason for case documents to be requested if the issue is whether or not the McGraw tape was manipulated.  A professional comparison with the hard drive would resolve the entire issue.

I suspect a settlement will be forthcoming ... a settlement that will benefit the Kalpoes/attorneys/AHATA.

IMO

Janet

++++++

THE DEFAMATION LAWSUIT IN A NUTSHELL

Feb 6, 2008 5:00 am US/Pacific
Former Holloway Suspects Can Sue Dr. Phil

The Kalpoes, who have maintained they had nothing to do with Holloway's disappearance, sued in December 2006, claiming the "Dr. Phil" talk show altered portions of a taped conversation between Deepak Kalpoe and a private investigator to "create false, incriminating, and defamatory statements that the plaintiffs engaged in criminal activity against Natalee Holloway."

The brothers also contend the TV show implied they helped kill Holloway and got rid of her body. Their suit claims defamation, invasion of privacy, emotional distress, fraud, deceit and civil conspiracy.

http://cbs2.com/entertainment/doctor.phil.mcgraw.2.647163.html

Your own quote that you cite should be enough to show you the case is not just about the tape.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »

Janet - I have to disagree with you on this.  I don't think they have any intention of settling with the Kalpoes.  I believe they expect the case to be thrown out and so do I. 

I agree with Magnolia - CBS and Dr. Phil have these attorneys on their payroll.  The Kalpoes are a minor irritation to CBS but do allow some hope of getting information regarding the NH case which is their intention IMO.

Klaas

We will have to agree to disagree until the outcome of this lawsuit is revealed.  If I am wrong ...  I will be rejoicing while eating crow pie.

Considering no findings have been released from the FBI investigation of the hard drive ... I suspect that the McGraw recording was manipulated with the expectation there would be no significant backlash from the Kalpoes.  After all ... at the most Deepak and Satish would be ... as you pointed out ... only "minor irritations".

However ... McGraw and his "people" did not anticipate that the ATA/AHATA would enter the scenario and take advantage of the NFI findings by financially backing the Kalpoes in a defamation lawsuit in anticipation of ultimately reaping a windfall ... a windfall that implied the Kalpoes ... the attorneys and ... Aruba would financially benefit.

Could it be that the filing of the defamation lawsuit by the Kalpoes' attorneys implied that McGraw had two choices ... settle or ... challenge the lawsuit by going in another direction.  The defence's strategy?  Case documentation would be requested.  The Kalpoes' own words and the words of those within the ALE would be evidence that no defamation occurred even if the tape was manipulated.

Why has the defamation lawsuit not been thrown out.  There has been four years of repeated extentions granted following non-compliance to court requests.

I suspect the Kalpoes' high priced attorneys are challenging the requests for documentation.  The Kalpoes' high priced attorneys must be citing that the incriminating case documents are not relevent to the defamation lawsuit ... only the disputed McGraw recording.

I would love to be wrong in my speculations.  I do not want it revealed that there was a manipulation of the tape.  I do not want the Kalpoes and their backer to emerge the victors.  The implication would be that ... for the sake of ratings ... Phil McGraw's attempt to deceive ... ultimately lined the pockets of those who were involved in the happenings encompassing the morning of May 30, 2005 and ... those within the Aruban administration who have been behind the misinformation campaign to pervent justice from prevailing for Natalee Holloway.

BTW ... a little googling will reveal that in the past negotiated settlements have happened in regards to lawsuits filed against the great Phil McGraw and his high priced attorneys.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:30 PM »

Exactly!!   I think the only reason the Kalpoes' attorneys don't drop the suite is because they are
afraid of being left responsible for the legal fees of Dr. Phil and company.  That is why they keep
dragging it out.

I agree, and they definitely should be if and/or when the case is thrown out. 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »

I know this is OT, but didn't know where else to put it. Are these just idiots or is something really going on?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/30/two-men-arrested-at-amsterdam-airport/

06:14 PM ET

Dutch arrest two men after flight from U.S.
[Updated at 7:49 p.m.] The two men – passengers on United Flight 908 from Chicago O'Hare to Amsterdam on Sunday night - were arrested Monday at Amsterdam's Schiphol International Airport after "suspicious items" were found in checked baggage, U.S. and Dutch authorities said.

Suspicious items found in luggage associated with the pair "were not deemed to be dangerous in and of themselves, and as we share information with our international partners, Dutch authorities were notified of the suspicious items," the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said. "This matter continues to be under investigation."

One of the men had travelled to Chicago from Birmingham, Alabama, and the other had flown to Chicago from Memphis, Tennessee, a law enforcement official told CNN.

An X-Ray of the checked luggage of the man who had flown from Birmingham showed several cell phones strapped to bottles of medicinal liquid, a law enforcement official said.

The men did not have prohibited items on themselves or in carry-on luggage, a law-enforcement official said. Federal air marshals were on the Chicago-to-Amsterdam flight, that official said.

[Original post] Two men were arrested Monday at Amsterdam's Schiphol International Airport after a flight from the United States, a spokesman for the Dutch Justice Ministry said.

The men were being held at the airport after arriving in the Dutch capital from Chicago, Illinois, Justice Ministry spokesman Martiun Boalhouwer told CNN. Boalhouwer would release no further details of the arrests, saying an investigation was under way.

ABC News, citing U.S. law enforcement officials, reported that the men have been charged in the Netherlands with "preparation of a terrorist attack," and that they had just flown from Chicago, Illinois, to Amsterdam on a United Airlines flight.

The two appeared to have been traveling with "mock bombs" in their luggage, U.S. officials said, according to ABC News.

One of the men flew with suspicious items in his luggage from Birmingham, Alabama, to Chicago's O'Hare airport, checked the luggage on a flight going from Chicago to Washington's Dulles Airport and then to Dubai, but then boarded the Chicago-Amsterdam flight with the second man instead of going with the luggage to Washington, ABC News reported, citing unnamed officials.

Screeners determined before the Birmingham-Chicago flight that the luggage didn't have explosives, officials said, according to ABC News. The luggage was removed from the Washington-Dubai flight when officials learned the man wasn't on that plane, and more screening again found no explosives, ABC News reported.

The men were taken into custody in Amsterdam after a request from the Netherlands' National Detective Department, airport press officer Robert Kapel said.

– CNN's Jeanne Meserve and Mike Ahlers contributed to this report.

2 4 1
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:05 PM »

Janet - I have to disagree with you on this.  I don't think they have any intention of settling with the Kalpoes.  I believe they expect the case to be thrown out and so do I. 

I agree with Magnolia - CBS and Dr. Phil have these attorneys on their payroll.  The Kalpoes are a minor irritation to CBS but do allow some hope of getting information regarding the NH case which is their intention IMO.

Klaas

We will have to agree to disagree until the outcome of this lawsuit is revealed.  If I am wrong ...  I will be rejoicing while eating crow pie.

Considering no findings have been released from the FBI investigation of the hard drive ... I suspect that the McGraw recording was manipulated with the expectation there would be no significant backlash from the Kalpoes.  After all ... at the most Deepak and Satish would be ... as you pointed out ... only "minor irritations".

However ... McGraw and his "people" did not anticipate that the ATA/AHATA would enter the scenario and take advantage of the NFI findings by financially backing the Kalpoes in a defamation lawsuit in anticipation of ultimately reaping a windfall ... a windfall that implied the Kalpoes ... the attorneys and ... Aruba would financially benefit.

Could it be that the filing of the defamation lawsuit by the Kalpoes' attorneys implied that McGraw had two choices ... settle or ... challenge the lawsuit by going in another direction.  The defence's strategy?  Case documentation would be requested.  The Kalpoes' own words and the words of those within the ALE would be evidence that no defamation occurred even if the tape was manipulated.

Why has the defamation lawsuit not been thrown out.  There has been four years of repeated extentions granted following non-compliance to court requests.

I suspect the Kalpoes' high priced attorneys are challenging the requests for documentation.  The Kalpoes' high priced attorneys must be citing that the incriminating case documents are not relevent to the defamation lawsuit ... only the disputed McGraw recording.

I would love to be wrong in my speculations.  I do not want it revealed that there was a manipulation of the tape.  I do not want the Kalpoes and their backer to emerge the victors.  The implication would be that ... for the sake of ratings ... Phil McGraw's attempt to deceive ... ultimately lined the pockets of those who were involved in the happenings encompassing the morning of May 30, 2005 and ... those within the Aruban administration who have been behind the misinformation campaign to pervent justice from prevailing for Natalee Holloway.

BTW ... a little googling will reveal that in the past negotiated settlements have happened in regards to lawsuits filed against the great Phil McGraw and his high priced attorneys.

Janet

But It's Oooonnnnlee Maaakeeee Beeelieve. Monkey Devil!

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »

What is the word (that won't come to my mind right now)  where you give a sworn statement to lawyers
before the trial?  I can't think of it to save me.

Deposition

That is what the Kalpoes are so far refusing to come to California (as ordered by the judge) to give to the Defense.

For crying out loud!!  What is the reason behind the judge's decision not to throw out this defamation case out!  For the past four years ... the Kalpoes have "refuse" time and time again to comply with court requests.

Janet

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »

SuzieQ-It's interesting, but it is OT in this thread.  I think maybe if you find something like that again, you could post it in the  Current Events "News of the Day" as a new thread  http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?board=24.0.  Or you could post it in Musings/Open Discussion for comment, since a thread is already started there for general discussion/chit chat etc.  http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?board=26.0 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2010, 09:37:05 PM »

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »

What is the word (that won't come to my mind right now)  where you give a sworn statement to lawyers
before the trial?  I can't think of it to save me.

Deposition

For crying out loud!!  What is the reason behind the judge's decision not to throw out this defamation case out!  For the past four years ... the Kalpoes have "refuse" time and time again to comply with court requests.

Janet

I prefer to believe that the Judge and the CBS/Dr. Phil team are on the side of Natalee more than anything else.  It would be better to get the depositions and case documents CBS/Dr.Phil are requesting/requiring.  I believe that's what they are all holding out for.  That small chance.  For Natalee.
Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »

http://www.timesoftheinternet.com/147651.html

Joran Van Der Sloot Has Prison romance

LOS ANGELES, CA., Aug.30 (TOTI) --

Joran Van Der Sloot, the infamous accused killer who is spending time at the Miguel Castro Castro prison in Lima, Peru has begun a relationship with a 'mystery woman' says National Enquirer.

"She's a white foreigner with short blonde hair who speaks English and Spanish fluently," said a source. "Guards as well as prisoners refer to her 'the Dutchman's gringa.'"

Further confirming the story, Joran van der Sloot,23, has called her 'my girlfriend' during conversations he's had with Hugo Trujillo Ospana, the Columbian assassin known as 'The Clown.' Ospana shares the same cell block with Joran.

The only good news seems to be that van der Sloot and the visitor have not been able to get intimate up to this point.

According to sources, the woman was paid $100 a week by Joran van der Sloot's mother to bring him supplies to prison. Instead, romance apparently blossomed as well.

Copyright 2007-2010 by Times of the Internet. All Rights Reserved.

Published: Monday 30th of August 2010 01:10:20 PM

Where's the barf bag?????   
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »

What is the word (that won't come to my mind right now)  where you give a sworn statement to lawyers

Deposition

For crying out loud!!  What is the reason behind the judge's decision not to throw out this defamation case out!  For the past four years ... the Kalpoes have "refuse" time and time again to comply with court requests.

Janet

I prefer to believe that the Judge and the CBS/Dr. Phil team are on the side of Natalee more than anything else.  It would be better to get the depositions and case documents CBS/Dr.Phil are requesting/requiring.  I believe that's what they are all holding out for.  That small chance.  For Natalee.
I think you are right as well! I have tried to explain ad nauseum that NO evidence WHATSOEVER has been looked at by the judge. That is NOT the judge's task. Only the JURY (and only at an actual TRIAL) would that occur. The judge is only ruling PROCEEDURAL questions only.

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »

Klaas

Janet

I absolutely believe that Dr. Phil's attorneys knew someone was footing the bill for the Kalpoes.  They knew the Kalpoes didn't have two nickels to rub together.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2010, 10:39:36 PM »

Dr. Phil's lawyers are licking their chops waiting to get the Kalpoes in court.  They are playing with these other attorneys who are representing the Kalpoes.  Will there be a Merry Christmas for the Kalpoes?  I think not.  They will have coal in their stockings.
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »

Klaas

Janet

I absolutely believe that Dr. Phil's attorneys knew someone was footing the bill for the Kalpoes.  They knew the Kalpoes didn't have two nickels to rub together.

And the Kalpoe attorneys took the case on a contingency fee.  IMO

Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »

The answer is:  Money

Muffy,
Are you talking about why someone would marry Satish?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  Poor girl may have married him thinking he was actually going to get a lot of money from this lawsuit.  As time drags on the awful truth will slowly dawn on her and she will find herself left with just Satish in the end.

Why a girl would marry Satish?  For her fifteen five minutes (or less) of fame?

Yeah, but the creep factor!  Can you imagine going to sleep right next to a Kalpoe?  I mean for all she knows, they could well be parties to first degree murder as they were once arrested for.

I wonder if she sleeps with one eye open.

No kidding--but I think it's possible she prolly has brainlock, is gullible, has drunk the KoolAid, and thinks the Kalpoes are victims of the rich 'Ugly Americans' ...  But yeah ... "creep factor" is right!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »

Deposition

Janet

Klaas

I honestly do not know what the motivation of the Phil McGraw team is four years later.  I fear that the high priced Kalpoe attorneys backed by the ATA/AHATA are affording a challenge that was not anticipated and ... this is the reason the case has not been thrown out.

John Kelly claims that the ground rules were established at the getgo by one of the Kalpoes' attorneys.  I cannot think of one small reason ... one small benefit ... why the ATA/AHATA would divert from the established ground rules ... why the ATA/AHATA would comply to the court's request to produce incriminating case documents  ... incriminating case documents implicating the Kalpoes in the rape and murder of Natalee Holloway as well as the disposal of her remain.

I see a lot of red flags and ... those red flags have me so concerned regarding the outcome of the lawsuit.

Good Night.

Janet
7:55 PM PT

++++++

A Signed Declaration

Holloway Case: New Kalpoe Documents
Friday, September 14, 2007

JOHN KELLY, FAMILY'S ATTORNEY: I believe David Koch (ph), one of the attorneys for the Kalpoes actually signed a declaration at the court indicating that even if the court ordered the documents be turned over, they were not going to turn them over ...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296798,00.html

_____

Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »

Deposition

Janet

I agree.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.