April 16, 2024, 12:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #845 8/29/2010 - 9/12/2010  (Read 241663 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #340 on: September 04, 2010, 02:01:06 AM »

Sebastian gets to dance with Mom, Val in college at Emerson, Paulus is passed away and Joran is in prison in Peru. 

Where is Natalee, Sloots???  Deepak....Satish....can you answer that question???   Someone knows the truth.

I agree!

Joran's partying in prison...has a lady visitor for 30 minutes at a time ANY TIME she chooses...and now we hear that he's given that interview.  Just how much was he paid for that interview?  Did Anita get a cut for that interview too?  And who's tracking where the money went?  Did some of it fund the happy little gathering of the murderers in their private little wing of Castro Castro?  Did some of it pay one of the guards to take the picture and release it to the press?  Just WHAT ELSE will that money pay for????  Will the Sloots profit from any of the books being written?

I'm sick and tired of that murderer making money off of his crimes, while Natalee's family STILL doesn't have answers!

The Flores family must be very upset about Joran's special treatment too!

What's taking so long with the three judge appeal panel?  I thought they were supposed to have a decision this week!

I'm mad as hell!   

SOMEBODY KNOWS, and can give Natalee's family the peace they need.  I hope their life is the ultimate "miserable existence" until they come forward and tell the TRUTH!

JMO

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Jesdamala
Scared Monkey

« Reply #341 on: September 04, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »

Texasmom, you most certainly got it right! 
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #342 on: September 04, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »

I wish the pits of he!! would open and swallow that little piece of chit. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
DPJ
Scared Monkey

« Reply #343 on: September 04, 2010, 06:33:31 AM »

Big article in the print edition of the Telegraaf newspaper by John vd Heuvel today, I'll try to summarize.

Maximo Altez is a former police officer who served in an anti-terrorist unit and actually got shot in the neck. At first people were blaming him for taking up Joran's defense but now a lot of people approach him to become their lawyer too.

At the moment the case is at a standstill until an official interpreter is found for Joran.

About the case, Altez is focussing on the mistakes that were made in the early days:

- Stephany's body was not placed in a body bag but in a coffin and the body was released after a superficial inspection to the family after a day to be buried. Mr Flores used his influence for that but it is against the official procedures.

- The confession, Joran was not tortured maybe threatened but he was offered an extradition to Aruba if he confessed. Also an official translator was not present and his lawyer was actually a friend of the officer doing the interrogation.

- The psychological report was based only on a 2 hour talk with Joran so he expects no one will take that seriously.

Also Altez wants the role of the hotel owners, Elton Garcia, the police and the FBI investigated. He says that he has received information from inside the police dept that something is fishy with that hotel.

On timing, Altez says that a 35 year sentence for Joran is not realistic. If found guilty a 10 to 15 year sentence would be expected which would effectively set Joran free in 5 years.

Also he expects the actual trial not to start within a year from now and for it to maybe even take 3 years. If it takes more then 3.5 years Joran has the right to wait for his trial in freedom. Altez states that he has 2 more possibilities to file an appeal or protest in Peru and after that he can appeal to the international court in Costa Rica until then the actual trial will not start.

Finally on Peruvian jail, with money it's no problem everything is available women, booze, the lot.

So not too much news I guess but on Monday there will be another article in the Telegraaf about Joran.
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #344 on: September 04, 2010, 07:12:27 AM »

Oh well. He's a dead man walking no matter what games they try to play.

It's just a matter of when -- where -- and by whom.

We can turn it into a board game.

tick.tock.tick.tock

AVOID ARUBA AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT...IT DOES!!!

Justice for Natalee Holloway & Stephany Flores
Peace for their families and loved ones

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2010, 08:39:11 AM »

Oh well. He's a dead man walking no matter what games they try to play.

It's just a matter of when -- where -- and by whom.

We can turn it into a board game.

tick.tock.tick.tock

AVOID ARUBA AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT...IT DOES!!!

Justice for Natalee Holloway & Stephany Flores
Peace for their families and loved ones
The article is infuriating -- but, this is still Peru and Joran will lose. That includes his life. I truly expect that the Peruvian authorities will react to the article by stopping the "country club" atmosphere. They will put him in the general population. 

DPJ
Scared Monkey

« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »

He won't be put in general population, yesterday's article mentioned that next week he'll be put in a special wing of the prison for foreigners apparently with his friend the columbian hit-man Aspina or Ospina.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2010, 09:15:19 AM »

He won't be put in general population, yesterday's article mentioned that next week he'll be put in a special wing of the prison for foreigners apparently with his friend the columbian hit-man Aspina or Ospina.
That may be the plan for now -- but if this article starts getting traction and Peru is embarrassed, they will take action. Stephany's father is too influential in Peru -- I bet things are already afoot for them to clamp down -- JMO

DPJ
Scared Monkey

« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:36 AM »

You might be right however according to the journalist John van de Heuvel the Peruvian justice minister personally OK-ed the interview.

Parts of the interview with Joran will be shown Monday from 7am in a breakfast show and the full interview will be Monday 8.30pm till 10pm.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »

You might be right however according to the journalist John van de Heuvel the Peruvian justice minister personally OK-ed the interview.

Parts of the interview with Joran will be shown Monday from 7am in a breakfast show and the full interview will be Monday 8.30pm till 10pm.
JMO -- I think the Peruvian "Justice Minister" will regret that decision.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »

http://www.24ora.com/local-mainmenu-5/21588-jan-van-der-straten-ta-importante-pa-tin-coordinacion-entre-fundacionnan-encuanto-adiccion.html

Papiamentu translation:

jan van der straten: is important before have coordinacion among fundacionnan encuanto adiccion

saturday, 04 september 2010 00:51

in one interview cu jan van der straten owing to puntr’e on the trabaonan cu is tumando lugar the momentonan here before elimina the problem by adictonan on caya. this is one restructuracion on the problem by drugs in we comunidad. jan van der straten in one interview owing to splica cu is important before have coordinacion among the fundacionnan encuanto adiccion. the coordinacion not was present y p'esey because ministerio by salud before hang on to one encuentro cu all the fundacionnan. the hendenan problematico is trahando together cu police etc. before ataca the adictonan problematico first. the adictonan here cu is one molester regal is bay centro dakota at detentie center. is splica all fundacion con the situation is y together they will bay traha… owing to ask jan van der straten if here is deal by one structura full various by thing was have come to anend? past owing to splica cu the plan by gobierno is before privatisa centro dakota y hill colorado. naturally have to hang on to cuenta cu the posicion by cada trahado cu is cay because employee publico. jan van der straten owing to splica cu actualmente have alrededor by 50 before 60 adicto because adicto problematico.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »

Press Day:

http://www.coolaruba.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=39

Tito Lacle

Ruben Trappenberg:

Noticeably absent = Julia Renfro - possible reasons are:

1.  They realized she's not a journalist
2.  They realized that she is an embarrassment to Aruba
3.  She's in Peru visiting Joran wearing a short blonde wig
4.  She has had plastic surgery and now looks more like Tito
5.  She is in Florida visiting mama Siddallee

I didn't see Julia or Dilma in the pictures from the big press party at Milano either, but I know I see Julia and I think I may see Dilma in these pictures from a breakfast party given by Caribbean Speed Printers.  Interesting they didn't show up for the big bash.  Tito seemed to really enjoy himself at that one!   

Wonder if there is still an ongoing investigation into the missing money?  Last I read Grace Mary Maduro was on suspension and then I think resigned.

http://www.24ora.com/local-mainmenu-5/21121-investigando-malversacion-na-bon-dia-aruba.html

http://www.24ora.com/local-mainmenu-5/21161-bon-dia-aruba-ta-confirma-suspension-di-grace-mary-maduro.html

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_76910.php

Google translation:

ARUBA

Fraud Bon Dia, director of road

August 20, 2010, 13:05 (GMT -04:00)

ORANGE CITY - After earlier fraud by a worker with his own morning newspaper Bon Dia were observed, was announced this morning that director Mary Grace Maduro steps down. Although she resigned her own, said John Chemaly Jr.. Caribbean Speed Printers for printing - the owner of Bon Dia - Maduro also that 'mandatory holiday has been sent. "We have immediately imposed so that we can continue our investigation." Chemaly indicates that an external agency will conduct this investigation, but would not say which. "All I want to say is that it is a very sensitive and sad issue. This is someone who had a position of trust in this company. "Amigoe from a reliable source that has more than one tonne Florin Bon Dia is missed.

http://www.arubatoday.com/

Aruba Today & Bon Dia Aruba celebrate Press Day
Local News
Thursday, 02 September 2010

PALM BEACH – Yesterday was International Press Day and the Aruban media celebrated in style all over the island.   Caribbean Speed Printers, publishers of Aruba Today and Bon Dia Aruba, invited the staff to an early morning breakfast in the La Vista Restaurant at the Aruba Marriott Resort.  This was a great opportunity for colleagues to congratulate each other and themselves on a great past year of news breaking stories and photographs.

Managing Director John A. Chemaly Jr. gave a brief speech just before the cutting of the “Congratulations Cake”.  He stated how proud he was to have so many staff members attend the breakfast and how together we can only become stronger and grow as a company.”

Both Aruba Today (English) and Bon Dia Aruba (Papiamento) are both leading daily newspapers on the island providing the latest and most informative news on the island for both locals and tourists.   Both publications dedicate several pages in Spanish for the Spanish speaking tourists and x-pats living on the island.

Aruba Today and Bon Dia Aruba will celebrate 20 successful years of business on the island

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #353 on: September 04, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »

I don't know what this site is but they have an article on Joran. Video at site

http://chathousenews.blogspot.com/2010/09/joran-van-der-sloot-is-teaching-english.html

Joran van der Sloot is teaching English

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/7557324/__Joran_geeft_Engelse_les__.html (Translated via Google translate)

Joran is teaching English
by John van den Heuvel and Bert Houses
LIMA - Joran van der Sloot is teaching English to the keepers of the Castro Castro prison in Lima. The Dutchman accused of two murders has now found his niche in the notorious prison in Peru and receives the guards in his cell to teach.

See Video at: http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/7557324/__Joran_geeft_Engelse_les__.html

John van den Heuvel talks Joran

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO John van den Heuvel Lima Joran van der Sloot said. See Video

Telegraph crime reporter John van den Heuvel Castro Castro prison in visiting Joran van der Sloot.Joran is so soon, possibly next week, between the ordinary prisoners placed in a special department for foreign prisoners.
This newspaper was doing research last week in Peru, among other things resulted in an exclusive interview with Van der Sloot in his cell, which appears Monday in The Associated Press.
Although Joran now resides in a high-security wing, for fear of actions by fellow inmates, he says not to fear for his life.
He asked whether he could be placed on the section of a Colombian hit man, with whom he previously shared his cell.
The first images of the large-Joran interview Monday to see the first broadcast of the TV show 'rush hour' of WNL. RTL 4 transmit the entire interview Monday.
In The Telegraph on Saturdaythe first part of the revealing report from Lima.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #354 on: September 04, 2010, 01:06:03 PM »

You can get to the video from my post but it is in Dutch.  This whole thing has me furious. Who do we write to in Peru? 

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »

Joran and the reporter,what ever his name is.  I just want to go down there and smack that smirk off his face.

2 4 1
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »

Here is a link to a new interview with Claire Furman and Mallie Tucker in Glamour Magazine.

Maybe Klaas or someone can bring the whole article and the picture.

http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life/2010/09/what-weve-never-told-anyone-about-natalee-holloway?currentPage=4

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #357 on: September 04, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »

Here is a link to a new interview with Claire Furman and Mallie Tucker in Glamour Magazine.

Maybe Klaas or someone can bring the whole article and the picture.

http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life/2010/09/what-weve-never-told-anyone-about-natalee-holloway?currentPage=4

Thanks Magnolia!   

http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life/2010/09/what-weve-never-told-anyone-about-natalee-holloway?currentPage=2&printable=true

“What We’ve Never Told Anyone About Natalee Holloway”

Five years after Natalee Holloway disappeared, two of her closest friends believe they know who’s responsible. But they don’t want you to remember his name; they want you to remember the funny, smart girl they miss so much. A Glamour exclusive.
by Sheila Weller

Mallie Tucker, left, and Claire Fierman at the Alabama lake where they spent lazy, happy days with Natalee

A little more than five years ago, on the last night of a high school graduation trip to Aruba, 18-year-old Natalee Holloway met a lawyer’s son, a handsome 17-year-old named Joran van der Sloot, in a popular cantina, walked out into the moonlight with him—and was never seen again. A tiny girl with long blond hair, Natalee was an exuberant personality but also serious and idealistic: About to enter the University of Alabama on a full scholarship, she hoped to become a doctor. Her disappearance left her best friends from Birmingham’s Mountain Brook High confused, angry and bereft.

From the first day she went missing, her classmates lived through the frustrations of an inconclusive police investigation and the indignities of a media firestorm that made Natalee Holloway a household name. They watched as van der Sloot, the main suspect in the crime, was twice detained by police in connection with the investigation—and twice released without ever being charged.

Then, this past May 30—on precisely the fifth anniversary of Natalee’s disappearance—Peruvian business student Stephany Flores, 21, was murdered in a Lima hotel room, and van der Sloot confessed to the killing. He later recanted but remains jailed in Peru, awaiting trial.

The reappearance of van der Sloot brought up haunting memories for two of Natalee’s best friends, Mallie Tucker, 24, and Claire Fierman, 23. They decided to tell their story exclusively to Glamour, a story that none of Natalee’s circle has told before: about who Natalee really was; what they think of van der Sloot; and how the unresolved loss of their best friend traumatized them for years. I met with them in Mountain Brook, Alabama, the Birmingham suburb where they all grew close and where Mallie’s and Claire’s families still live.

CLAIRE: Natalee moved to Mountain Brook in eighth grade, from tiny Clinton, Mississippi—and she kind of just fell into our group. We all had silly nicknames for each other. I was Party, because for some reason I used to instant-message my friends as PartyGirl600.

MALLIE: I was Tucka Mota, because there was a car dealership in town with my same last name called Tucker Motors, and they had a really funny commercial.

CLAIRE: So Natalee said, “Back in Mississippi, everyone called me Hooty Hoo Holloway.” We later found out she had completely made that up just to fit in! But we called her Hooty. “It’s Hoooo-ty,” she’d say, in a high, silly voice on the phone. I saved her last voice mail until a year ago, when it became just too hard to listen to.

So Hooty Hoo Holloway came to Birmingham, and there was no beating around the bush with that girl. If she had an opinion, she would tell you. Once I asked her to get me a soft drink, and she looked at me like I’d asked her to run a mile. Like: Are you kidding? Get it yourself.

MALLIE: Natalee was an original. She was obsessed with The Wizard of Oz. She had more Wizard of Oz stuff in her room than you’d ever seen! She was in love with Lynyrd Skynyrd. And she had a Sheltie named Macy. She loved that dog so much; she would color its hair with highlighters and paint its toenails.

CLAIRE: Natalee was such a good jazz dancer. She was on the school dance team every year. And she was smart. If you had a top grade point average, you didn’t have to take finals senior year. Natalee would call me during finals and say, “Do you want to hang out?” I said, “Hooty, I can’t! Unlike you, I have tests!”

MALLIE: She helped me with AP environmental science. She was obsessed with topography—she loved to study the mountain ranges on maps.

CLAIRE: She was careful, not a rule bender. She turned 16 seven months before I did, and she got a cute little white Volvo. Even though I didn’t have a license, I kept begging her, “Just let me drive it, please?” She finally said, “OK, you can move it one spot over” in the parking lot. She wasn’t someone to take a risk.

MALLIE: Natalee and I worked on weekends at my mom’s organic food store, Harvest Glen. Natalee and her mom [Beth Holloway] were super close. Beth was a speech pathologist and worked with children, and that sensitivity rubbed off. My mom employed autistic adults at Harvest Glen, and Natalee was their favorite coworker. She took them for outings, and she’d work alongside them, shucking corn and shelling peas together.

CLAIRE: She was a kind person, but not overly sweet. She just did good things.

MALLIE: I close my eyes and I see Natalee, shucking corn. It’s so strange—Natalee’s been gone for longer than I’ve known her. That’s really hard for me—I kind of want the years to stop. I hold on to these dumb little images: the blond hair on her arms. And her bubbly, messy handwriting!

CLAIRE: I can still hear her reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn out loud, with great animation, while we were sunbathing on the deck at her lake house.

MALLIE: Natalee didn’t have a serious boyfriend. She had a crush on this one boy—you could tell because she was all shy around him. She was particular. I think she was waiting for the perfect boyfriend: a cowboy, a Southern gentleman. She was innocent. We all were. We weren’t nerds, but we weren’t girls who would experiment with makeup all day either.

CLAIRE: We’d go tubing or wakeboarding until our bodies ached, out on Smith Lake. And we didn’t travel much—going to the beach at the Florida Panhandle was about it. So when the graduation trip to Aruba was planned, Natalee was so excited!

MALLIE: We all painted T-shirts that said ARUBA. Of course I was hysterical ‘cause I was the only one who didn’t go!

CLAIRE: Everyone going on the trip got on two planes—about 100 seniors and four teachers as chaperones—leaving for Aruba on Thursday. We’d be coming home Sunday night.

“We don’t know where she is!”
CLAIRE: The Aruba Holiday Inn was nice; the beach was beautiful. Natalee and I went snorkeling together. At night everyone got really dressed up to have dinner at the hotel, and afterward people would go to popular hangouts for young people—one was Carlos’n Charlie’s. It was your average beach bar; everybody mixed together, American kids and Arubans.

Our hotel had a casino that we all went to the last night of the trip. We found out after Natalee disappeared that Joran was a regular gambler there. Then I left, and Natalee went to Carlos’n Charlie’s with some of the others.

I was in the hotel lobby at 1:00 A.M., watching everyone come home. But I didn’t think, Where’s Natalee?

The next morning, most of us, rushing to pack our toothbrushes, didn’t know Natalee hadn’t come home; we were focused on getting to the airport. But Natalee’s roommate and another friend sure did.

MALLIE: Our friends said later that they had told the Aruban police stationed around the hotel, “Our friend didn’t come home!” and the police just calmly took notes on a clipboard, matter-of-factly. We didn’t know it at the time, but somebody had called Beth, and she talked to the authorities. Although we don’t know what they said to her, she had already sensed that something was wrong.

CLAIRE: The news started to get to us in small, disconnected pieces. As I was boarding the plane to leave Aruba, two of our friends ran up and said, “Natalee’s not on the plane! We don’t know where she is!” My reaction was, “Beth is going to be so mad!” I’m thinking, Natalee’s still lying on the beach. I had no panic. But by the time we landed in Atlanta, my dad called me and said, “Bear”—he called me Bear—“things aren’t looking good.” What he meant was, Natalee wasn’t just on the beach; it was more serious. I panicked. Kidnapping, I thought. I cried all the way on the bus from Atlanta to Birmingham.

MALLIE: While Claire was flying home, her dad called me to say Natalee was missing. I rushed to Claire’s house.

“We knew in our gut it was Joran. We just knew.”
While the students were returning to Birmingham, Beth had begun gathering information about her daughter. She talked to one of the boys who’d been on the trip and learned that he’d seen Natalee with van der Sloot on the last night. “He seemed like, y’know, a regular guy,” said the boy. “Like me.” Nonetheless, a worried Beth flew to Aruba. Eight Mountain Brook students gathered at Claire’s house.

CLAIRE: We were all in my living room, girls and boys. It was after midnight. We had left Aruba about 14 hours before. We were worried sick.

MALLIE: Beth was in Aruba. She got the address of Joran’s house, and she was standing outside the gates. She called us and we put her on speakerphone. She said, “Kids, I need more details!” Anyone who had seen Joran in Aruba shouted whatever information they had. We could hear Beth pleading to be let in the house so they could talk face-to-face. Leaning into the speakerphone in Claire’s living room, we were all screaming.

CLAIRE: “Beth! He has to talk to you.”

MALLIE: “Natalee’s in the house!” We actually thought she was being held captive in Joran’s room. I guess it was safer to feel this way than to have any worse scenarios in mind.

CLAIRE: We were enraged Beth wasn’t being let in. We were pacing the room and freaking out. Here is a mother in crisis, and if nobody will let her in the house…well, something is really suspicious! We knew in our gut that Joran was behind her disappearance. By now we knew from talking to other kids who’d been on the trip that Joran was a regular at the casino, and that Natalee had left Carlos’n Charlie’s in the backseat of a car with him. Nobody would let Beth into the house. It just added up. He’d done something bad to her—we didn’t know what, but we knew it was him. [When Glamour contacted van der Sloot’s attorney, Maximo Altez, to ask for a response from his client, Altez declined to comment on the Holloway case.]

CLAIRE: We stayed up all night in my living room.

MALLIE: We felt so helpless!

CLAIRE: We fell asleep at 6 A.M.

MALLIE: We did that three nights in a row, moving from house to house, waiting for news. We never left each other’s side.

CLAIRE: I was scared to shower. I didn’t want to miss anything.

On June 9, van der Sloot and brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe, who had been in the car with him and Natalee, were detained as part of the investigation.

MALLIE: We hung on to hope. We didn’t cry until two weeks had passed. I thought, Two weeks is so long. I said, “She doesn’t even have a hair rubber band or clean underwear!” We wished we were in Aruba, where Beth still was, helping to search for Natalee. To feel useful, we started making these little three-thread yarn bracelets. We called them Hope for Natalee bracelets.

CLAIRE: We made thousands of them—buckets of them! We passed them out to all our friends. We sent them to Beth in Aruba. She passed them out there.

The Kalpoe brothers were released on July 4, but not van der Sloot. Searches for Natalee—both publicly funded ones and those paid for by the Holloways and their friends—continued that summer, but with no results.

MALLIE: We kept up our hope for most of the summer. You have to remember, this happened after Elizabeth Smart was found after being missing for nine months. I went on a trip to Acapulco with my family during this time, and I kept busting through random bathroom doors—public bathrooms, on the street! I thought I was going to find Natalee with her hair all cut off and dyed black or something.

CLAIRE: There were prayer services for Natalee every day at a local church. There were yellow ribbons all over Mountain Brook. The media descended: Nancy Grace. Greta Van Susteren. Scarborough Country. The Abrams Report. So many, I can’t remember. It was so strange—everyone in America seemed to “know” our good friend Natalee! Yet nobody wanted to know who she really was, what kind of person she was.

Van der Sloot was released from custody on September 3 for lack of evidence that a crime had been committed. A few weeks later, he flew to the Netherlands to start college.

MALLIE: He’s free to go to college just when Natalee should be going to college along with us. We were numb.

CLAIRE: Mallie went to the University of Montavallo, in the middle of the state, and I went to the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa—where Natalee was supposed to go with me. The biggest struggle was guilt. Not guilt as in, What could I have done to save Natalee? But guilt that she wasn’t coming back; guilt for giving up hope.

“We were scared to date.”
MALLIE: College is supposed to be happy, but for us it was just so sad. I would go to Tuscaloosa, where Claire was, every weekend. We’d be with our other friend, who was supposed to have roomed with Natalee. And seeing that empty second bed in that room…

CLAIRE and MALLIE: That was supposed to be Natalee’s bed!

CLAIRE: And there were all these Natalees—girls with long blond hair—everywhere on campus.

MALLIE: This was when we really started to detach ourselves. We stopped talking about Natalee—even to each other. It wasn’t a pact or anything. We were traumatized.

CLAIRE: I guess it wouldn’t come as a surprise that we also weren’t good at dating. When I met a guy, I’d be scared s—tless. I’d be, Why are you talking to me?

MALLIE: Me, too. I didn’t date in college. We never went on single dates. We would always go on group dates—the guy had to be surrounded by people we’d known for a long time.

CLAIRE: Eventually I had boyfriends in college, but I made them jump through hoops until I trusted them.

In November 2007, when the girls were entering their junior year, van der Sloot was taken into custody again—as were the Kalpoe brothers—for “suspicion of involvement in voluntary manslaughter.” But the prosecutors did not present enough evidence to charge them, and all three were released.

CLAIRE: Just to get through college, we went into denial. The more reminders, the worse our denial became. We needed to protect ourselves from our pain. We stopped looking at our own personal pictures of Natalee.

MALLIE: I used wine to hide my feelings from myself. I drank and drank. Numbness was what I was after.

CLAIRE: I had this horrible anxiety. I was afraid of parking my car in the dark. I would fly out of the car and into the house. I developed OCD—I’d make lists all the time of everything I was going to do. If I didn’t have a plan, I would get very nervous.

MALLIE: I wasn’t focusing on my studies. I was drinking too much. By junior year I flunked out of college.

In March 2008 came explosive news: A Dutch journalist had taped van der Sloot saying that he had seen Natalee die on an Aruban beach, although he did not admit to having harmed her. Prosecutors found no evidence to support van der Sloot’s “confession,” which he later withdrew.

CLAIRE: All of Natalee’s friends got together to watch the video on TV. There were 12 of us in our friends’ basement, watching Joran saying “of course” Natalee was dead. Did we believe it? Yes. We were shocked. It was so bizarre: No one said anything. We just turned off the TV, and we stood up to leave and said, “See you tomorrow.”

MALLIE: We never spoke of Natalee anymore. She’d not only disappeared from our lives—she disappeared altogether.

CLAIRE: But, deep inside, we were in pain. I came home from watching the video with my friends, and my mom, who’d also watched it, was sitting on my bed, crying her eyes out. She hugged me, and this—three years in—was the first time I really cried. From then on, I cried every day. I literally woke up and burst into tears every day during college. But, oddly, I didn’t connect it to Natalee.

“I’m sorry, but I have to let you go.”
MALLIE: In June 2008 I was accepted at Safe Harbor, a substance abuse facility in Orange County, California. When I completed the inpatient treatment, I knew I wanted to help others—not just women with alcohol and drug problems, but also women who’d been traumatized, whether they had lost a friend, or had been a victim of domestic violence, rejection or abandonment. I found a college near Safe Harbor and enrolled in a two-year course to become a certified drug and alcohol counselor. The fact that I was able to make it through all of that—it was Natalee’s situation pushing me through.

Today I work at Bradford Health Services in Birmingham, and I tell patients who’ve been traumatized: Gently confront your detachment. If you’ve lost a friend, think of her every single day. Take her picture out…like I have finally done with Natalee’s. That won’t heal the pain—and it’s not the anniversaries that hurt; it’s the random things, like hearing Lynyrd Skynyrd, that hit me—but it makes the pain manageable.

CLAIRE: We stay in touch with Natalee’s mom, Beth. She’s devoting her life to making sure that what happened to Natalee never happens to anyone else. [Beth Holloway, in cooperation with the National Museum of Crime & Punishment, created the Natalee Holloway Resource Center to assist families of missing loved ones. To learn more or to volunteer, go to crimemuseum.org/NHRC.]

But the most important thing Mallie and I did for ourselves was something we did about a year ago.

I was in therapy—still crying, still anxious—and my therapist said, “Why don’t you write Natalee a letter?” So I flew to L.A., where Mallie was. We each wrote Natalee a letter telling her how much we loved and missed her. At the end of mine, I wrote, “I’m sorry, but I have to let you go.” I signed my old nickname: Party.

MALLIE: We took the letters to Huntington Beach at sunset, and we read them aloud. We dug a hole in the sand and put the letters in.

CLAIRE: We lit a bonfire and then we burned the letters.

MALLIE: That was our funeral for Natalee.

CLAIRE: The anxiety and guilt lifted. And we have never told anyone about it—until just now.

MALLIE: When I heard that they’d found and arrested Joran—on May 30, the fifth anniversary of Natalee’s disappearance—I had a strangely familiar feeling. It was the excitement I’d been waiting to feel when I’d hear the words, “They’ve found Natalee, alive.” I couldn’t use it for that, but I could use it for relief: Joran was in jail, and it looks like he will stay there.

CLAIRE: Where do we think Natalee’s body is? We don’t go there.

MALLIE: I know I will see her again some-day. All of life is a big waiting room.

Sheila Weller is a senior contributing editor at Glamour.

More On
Friendship , True Friendship , Love And Friendship , Friends , Best Friends , Friends Forever , Charity , Real-Life Heroes
Photo: Williams + Hirakawa

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #358 on: September 04, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #359 on: September 04, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »

Me too

2 4 1
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.