April 25, 2024, 09:11:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medical Advice Needed  (Read 16341 times)
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while

« on: February 10, 2007, 10:07:09 PM »

Is there anyone here that knows anything about pediatrics?  My granddaughter came to spend the night and when I got here clothes off her for her bath I was shocked.  Her legs are arms are so skinny, they look like bones with no skin on them.  Her belly is bloated way to far out.  She will be two next month and has always been small for her age, but, this looks almost like she is malnurished.  I'm scared.

If love could of saved you, you would of lived forever
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:17:37 PM »

How frightening.  What is her appetite like?  Is she eating normal foods for a child her age?
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:27:36 PM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
How frightening.  What is her appetite like?  Is she eating normal foods for a child her age?

When she is at my house, we have a hard time getting her to eat normal meals; she always wants treats.  The few times I've been at her house her mother has been feeding her McDonalds and her sippy cup is filled with pop.  The parents are separated.  I called my son tonight with my concerns and he said when she is at his house he always makes her eat real meals and won't give her a treat until after a meal.  
The last time I had her I gave her apple juice in her sippy cup during breakfast and after that I filled it with milk.  She refused to drink the milk and mom called me the next day and asked me what she drank.  When I told her I had given her the juice she told me never to do it again because it makes her "poop creamy and difficult to clean off her bottom"

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »

Quote from: "Katysmom"

When she is at my house, we have a hard time getting her to eat normal meals; she always wants treats.  The few times I've been at her house her mother has been feeding her McDonalds and her sippy cup is filled with pop.  The parents are separated.  I called my son tonight with my concerns and he said when she is at his house he always makes her eat real meals and won't give her a treat until after a meal.  
The last time I had her I gave her apple juice in her sippy cup during breakfast and after that I filled it with milk.  She refused to drink the milk and mom called me the next day and asked me what she drank.  When I told her I had given her the juice she told me never to do it again because it makes her "poop creamy and difficult to clean off her bottom"

I'm not clinical at all but if you are worried enough to post your concerns here I say she needs to see a doctor.  Do the parents have joint custody?  Sounds like it might be best to have your son take her for a doctors visit.
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »

I'm not clinical at all but if you are worried enough to post your concerns here I say she needs to see a doctor.  Do the parents have joint custody?  Sounds like it might be best to have your son take her for a doctors visit.

There is no custody set up through the courts at all.  They just have a mutual agreement to all the issues.  He did tell me on the phone that he would call Monday morning and make a dr. appt. for her.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:37:54 PM »

Story from 1998 with a picture of a 20mo old malnourished boy:

FBI: Malnourished Utah toddler kidnapped by parents
CNN, September 24, 1998

David Fink
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The FBI has launched an intensive search for a Utah couple, described as religious cultists, who allegedly kidnapped their 20-month-old son from a hospital. Officials believe the toddler's life is in serious jeopardy.
Concerned about the child's health, the FBI has issued an urgent appeal for public help and offered a reward for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Earl Fink and Kyndra Lee Fink, who is said to be 8-and-a-half months pregnant.

Authorities say Utah state officials took the Finks' son David away last Friday because he was suffering severe malnutrition.

Officials say the couple refuses to feed the child anything other than lettuce and watermelon, believing he is "a religious prophet." Christopher Fink reportedly believes anything other than starchless fruit, vegetables and leafy greens could contaminate the child.

David weighed only 16 pounds when he was taken from his parents and rushed to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, officials said.

(snipped)

http://www.rickross.com/reference/tlc/tlc11.html
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 10:39:15 PM »

There is no custody set up through the courts at all.  They just have a mutual agreement to all the issues.  He did tell me on the phone that he would call Monday morning and make a dr. appt. for her.

Excellent news!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 10:58:59 PM »

Katysmom......if your gut tells you something is wrong with the baby....you are probably correct. Make sure your son follows up on the Dr.'s appointment if you can. It sounds like your former daughter-in-law needs some education on proper nutrition for a toddler.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 01:17:10 PM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
Katysmom......if your gut tells you something is wrong with the baby....you are probably correct. Make sure your son follows up on the Dr.'s appointment if you can. It sounds like your former daughter-in-law needs some education on proper nutrition for a toddler.

She used to be such a loving and careing mother.  Her whole world revolved around the baby.  It wasnt' until recently when my son found a girlfriend that the ex has started some incorrect behavior; drinking excessively, going out to the bars even on work nights, etc...(this stuff I found out on her myspace web site)  It wasnt' until last night when I called my son that he told me he has been concerned for the last two months.  She will call him at midnight telling him she's too drunk to take care of the baby and asks him to come get her.  When he gets to her apartment, he can hear loud music but she won't answer the door.  I'm just sick over all of this.  
When my son came to pick the baby up a little while ago I reiterated the need to get her to a dr. immediately and if he doesn't do it, I will call social services and don't care who gets mad at me.  I hate to butt into their business, but when it comes to the health and safety of that baby, I won't stand by and watch her waste away.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 02:31:27 PM »

Quote from: "pdh3"

She used to be such a loving and careing mother.  Her whole world revolved around the baby.  It wasnt' until recently when my son found a girlfriend that the ex has started some incorrect behavior; drinking excessively, going out to the bars even on work nights, etc...(this stuff I found out on her myspace web site)  It wasnt' until last night when I called my son that he told me he has been concerned for the last two months.  She will call him at midnight telling him she's too drunk to take care of the baby and asks him to come get her.  When he gets to her apartment, he can hear loud music but she won't answer the door.  I'm just sick over all of this.  
When my son came to pick the baby up a little while ago I reiterated the need to get her to a dr. immediately and if he doesn't do it, I will call social services and don't care who gets mad at me.  I hate to butt into their business, but when it comes to the health and safety of that baby, I won't stand by and watch her waste away.

Is there any way YOU can go to the doctors appointment with your son and granddaughter?  No offence to men but sometimes they don't hear what doctors have to say the same way women do  Wink
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »

This is sad..

I hope your son gets the baby to the dr..
Don't feel you are butting into their business.. You are the grandmother...and have every right to be concerned.
  IMO perhaps your son should file an emergency order to gain full custody of the baby. My hubby did that YEARS ago with his 2 kids. Their mother wasn't taking care of them.. he won.  Not often does a man gain full custody. In your sons case.. I would think he would be granted.. ESP if he gets the baby to the dr and they agree the baby is not being take care of properly by her mother.. he wil not have any problem at ALL having the courts in his favor.
  Im sorry. but the mother saying not to give the pot little baby.. apple jusce or  milk cause its hard to clean off her bottom.. is just CRAZY.
 If you want to talk. email me.. I am not nosing in your business.. My hubby has been thru hell and back with his ex and her not taking proper care of thier kids when they were toddlers.. Ialso YEARS ago had to call CYS on my neighbor.  Sad  Wasnt easy to do.. but the mothere here so reminds me of my hubbys ex and my neighbor.
      Let me know if you wish to talk..  Thanks!
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »

Klaas..
  You do have a point.  Not knocking fathers.. but mothers.. grandmothers do ask more questions at the drs them men. Been there. Done that.
Katysmom.. I agree wiht Klaas if you are able to go to the appt as well and see whats happening.  IMO mom sounds unfit.. Sorry.
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 04:04:30 PM »

Get this child to a Dr. no matter what it takes.

Does not sound to me as if this baby's mother is a suitable parent at this time.

She should see a Dr. too.

Don't worry about interfering....

Your granchild needs the intervention now.

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »

Katysmom, I agree with everything thats been said here.  Malnutrition is nothing to fool with,  it will affect them not only physically, but developmentally too.  Your son should also be keeping a journal of what he is seeing happen and what he is feeding your granddaughter.  

Definately follow up with your son, let him know you are there for them.  If he does take her to the doctors, I am sure that the doc will give him lots of information and menues and might even put pediasure or ensure drinks in her diet.  I am sure she'll have to return for visits to be monitored too.

She evidently is a fussy eater and only wants junk food as thats what is offered.  Keep trying the good stuff,  even if you have to add ovaltine or chocolate quick to whole milk,  add the butter to veggies, getting her to eat and drink anything nutritious is the key.

Please also keep in mind that even though malnutrition is cureable,  it does take time for the little ones to gain weight,  I had a child in foster care  a while back that had this same problem,  it took 6 weeks to gain 3 pounds!  

Please keep us posted.  I've got some experience with this if you need  someone to talk to.

Prayers for the little one,

Ms.DV

Maine, born and raised!
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 10:09:32 AM »

Thank you, everyone for your concern!  You don't realize how much you helped me this weekend.  Saturday night I was in a panic when I saw the baby and I don't have any close friends or family to talk to, so just to be able to get on here and vent was a big help.  I had no idea how many of you would care enough to reply back your concerns and advice.  It really warmed my heart and made me teary eyed.
My son called me a little while ago.  He had given the mother the money a few weeks ago to get a copy of the baby's birth certificate so he could get an insurance card from his work place.  He asked her yesterday for the certificate and she told him that she'd been too busy to get it.  He told her he would go get it himself this morning and she told him that he couldn't, only the mother can get it.  Bullsh_t!  I told him to go ahead and make the dr.'s appt. and even if we don't have an insurance card, we'll pay cash for the visit if we have to.  Hopefully, we will have her in by the end of the week.

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »

katysmom

You are correct,  it is totally bs for only the mother to get a copy of the birth certificate.  Copies are not too expensive at the town hall of where they live.  

If you can,  go to the store and pick up some pediasure drinks,  even if yoiu end up wasting a can a day trying to get her to drink it, at least she'll get used to trying it and eventually will accept it.  

If you cant find those,  even the carnation instant breakfast drinks or breakfast bars are loaded wit nutrients.  

my email is vada@adelphia.net   please don't hesitate to contact me if you need support in any way.

Maine, born and raised!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »

My toddlers did not like milk, so I put Ovaltine in it. It has no caffeine, and is loaded with vitamins. Your granddaughter may drink milk if it's got lots of Ovaltine in it. You can get a small container to try it out. It worked for me, and my kids still drink it as teenagers.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »

Ovaltine is awesome too.  
Great idea

Maine, born and raised!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 10:04:16 PM »

Quote from: "Ms.DarthVada"
Ovaltine is awesome too.  
Great idea

Brings back memories.  My mom was a health nut.  When we were kids I was not allowed chocolate at all, but I was allowed Ovaltine.  I never even had white sugar until I was a teen, only raw brown sugar.  Whole grain flour, raw milk, fresh sqeezed OJ, pure maple syrup, sea salt.  I could go on and on.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 08:51:49 AM »

I still order my raw sugar online, I get seasalt too, and Maple Syrup....lets just say being in New England, I've got an endless supply.  It is so worth the expense to get maple syrup, nothing can compare to the taste.  I can get it for about 8.99 a quart at the store, but I've got an "in" with a friend who makes it so we trade favors of sewing/mending  for maple syrup.

Maine, born and raised!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.