March 19, 2024, 07:42:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #3 8/14/10 -  (Read 1048607 times)
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1100 on: January 05, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »

Welcome cadillac!  Is your name taken from our beloved Cadillac Williams?  Just so you know.....I named my dog Rudi after Rudi Johnson...
It is wonderful to see another Auburn fan here.

none - interesting comments from Nascar. MI should hire him! He is so smart!!!

cuz - I was pulling so hard for Ryan Mallett and your team! I felt so bad for them. They almost pulled it off, and it was a great effort. I was still proud of them.

I guess the Big 10 had to get a win somewhere. It's been a rough bowl season for them. Congrats to OSU!

The coaching carousel continues...

WAR EAGLE!!!!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1101 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:33 PM »

Welcome cadillac!  Is your name taken from our beloved Cadillac Williams?  Just so you know.....I named my dog Rudi after Rudi Johnson...
It is wonderful to see another Auburn fan here.

none - interesting comments from Nascar. MI should hire him! He is so smart!!!

cuz - I was pulling so hard for Ryan Mallett and your team! I felt so bad for them. They almost pulled it off, and it was a great effort. I was still proud of them.

I guess the Big 10 had to get a win somewhere. It's been a rough bowl season for them. Congrats to OSU!

The coaching carousel continues...

WAR EAGLE!!!!

Oh wow - you are something else.  Yes, My son brought home a rescue dog a few years ago and he named him Cadillac - for Carnell.  I have to tell you this dog is much meaner than Cadillac though.  This dog is a challenge - but we love her.  I have another rescue dog from Morgantown too, compliments of my son. She is a sweetie - but they do get along.
It is so funny that you ask me if she is named after Carnell - NO ONE would ever ask that.
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1102 on: January 05, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »

Where are you from - if I may ask.  Or where do you live - we know who you "go for"?
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1103 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »

I am originally from Birmingham, but I now live in the Huntsville area.

I was raised an Auburn fan.....my entire family are Auburn fans except for a niece and nephew who went to Bama to be DRs....

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1104 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:44 AM »

Pdh- All 400+ arrived safety on one huge chartered jet! I have not heard anything on local TV that would make you mad. As far as I've seen, both teams are getting all the fan fare of a Superbowl game. They look pretty happy being here. Game time temp should be 72 deg and no possibility of rain or wind. Just part of playing under a dome. Day time temps are warming to the  70's and lows in the 40's. Our freeze warnings should be done for the rest of the winter.

My brother and nephew will be in Glendale for the game 
Very nice. Local radio stations are reporting that tickets are being sold for 3k to get into the dome and 5k for good seats between 30 to 30 yard line. If your brother is staying near the stadium the restaurants at West Gate are very good. The wait will be a little long. If there staying in Scottsdale I would have a long list of choices for them.

Brother's friendship with Dye Jr helped him score reasonable tickets, the trip was his gift to his son for xmas. I'm not sure where they are staying but emailed him tonight to ask - he might need some recommendations for I don't think he's ever been to Arizona. Thanks for your offer.

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1105 on: January 06, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »

Most excellent news. My sources are saying that RR is out for Michigan  I liked the offense for the most part but 112th total defense out 120 is pretty bad. We will see what happens next. Fingers crossed for the Stanford coach to come back home.

ESPN seems to be backtracking on that earlier report today........we'll see.

Son says it takes a full four years to recruit for RR's offense, it requires very specific personnel and he said it took RR a full four years to complete it and bring the wins at WVU. That said, son says that the defense is "experimental".........enough said.
Actually I would agree with your son. I wouldn't mind keeping RR and the offense, but the defense Standford put up would be very nice instead.

I agree, Stanford's defense would likely be more effective but then WVU's defense wasn't their strong suit even when RR was there - son played in several games against them. I still don't understand why Michigan wanted RR so badly if they didn't buy into his strategies. That said, son reminded me tonight that RR is being paid 2.4M to look for another job, could be far worse.

Found it ironic when watching that game when I realized that Andrew Luck's father is the AD at WVU - can't say I agree with his treatment of Bill Stewart either.

College football is not for the faint of heart.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1106 on: January 06, 2011, 01:26:29 AM »

Pdh- All 400+ arrived safety on one huge chartered jet! I have not heard anything on local TV that would make you mad. As far as I've seen, both teams are getting all the fan fare of a Superbowl game. They look pretty happy being here. Game time temp should be 72 deg and no possibility of rain or wind. Just part of playing under a dome. Day time temps are warming to the  70's and lows in the 40's. Our freeze warnings should be done for the rest of the winter.

My brother and nephew will be in Glendale for the game 
Very nice. Local radio stations are reporting that tickets are being sold for 3k to get into the dome and 5k for good seats between 30 to 30 yard line. If your brother is staying near the stadium the restaurants at West Gate are very good. The wait will be a little long. If there staying in Scottsdale I would have a long list of choices for them.

Brother's friendship with Dye Jr helped him score reasonable tickets, the trip was his gift to his son for xmas. I'm not sure where they are staying but emailed him tonight to ask - he might need some recommendations for I don't think he's ever been to Arizona. Thanks for your offer.

I hope your brother already has his tickets in hand. There is a huge ticket scandal brewing. StubHub and other ticket brokers sold tickets they did not have, and some sellers have reneged on their original agreements and are now selling those already sold tickets for tens of thousands of dollars, and sending the original purchaser a refund. Lots of people who paid already, and thought they had tickets are being left out in the cold. There's discussion of a class action suit....

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1107 on: January 06, 2011, 01:56:33 AM »

PDH I think his tickets are fine, haven't heard about this snafu but when we were together on xmas I believe he said he already had his in hand.

The site has been locking me out tonight, I was going to respond to some other posts but this is just too frustrating and I'm super tired - headed to bed.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1108 on: January 06, 2011, 01:57:53 AM »

Welcome to the Sports Tread- The football tread has a special dedication to Peaches a SM Husker fan that passed away!
As a side thing I run Kiwi's Dawg House, where every SM fan has their own Big Screen TV in the dawg house. You used to have to lose to get into the dawg house but I got too lonely as a Mich fan, so now everyone just comes in. Nonesuche and Pdh like to bring very taste treats for our pleasure. Just to let you know Klassend is Duck fan.
Ah, thanks for the welcome!  It is all supposed to be in good fun for the fans - maybe not so much for the athletes and coaches, but football is for me. 

Welcome Cadillac !!   

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1109 on: January 06, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »

PDH I think his tickets are fine, haven't heard about this snafu but when we were together on xmas I believe he said he already had his in hand.

The site has been locking me out tonight, I was going to respond to some other posts but this is just too frustrating and I'm super tired - headed to bed.

I'm glad to hear that!  It's a great Christmas present, that's for sure!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1110 on: January 07, 2011, 12:57:32 AM »

I agree PDH !

Saw this tonight and found it interesting......
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2011/01/05/dont-like-the-bcs-vote-with-a-remote/?icid=maing|main5|dl4|sec1_lnk5|35064

Don't Like the BCS? Vote With a Remote

By David Steele
Writer/Columnist

t's not as if I hadn't seen "The Manchurian Candidate'' -- the original version, from 1962, with Frank Sinatra and an evil, pre-Murder She Wrote Angela Lansbury -- a few hundred times before. But it was on HBO again early Tuesday evening. And it was a whole lot better an option than the Sugar Bowl pregame show.

Once the movie went off, the search was on again, for my favorite holiday-season show, "Anything But a Bowl Game.'' Especially a BCS bowl game.

I can no longer justify feeding the monster, and then complaining when he tears the roof off my house and tries to eat me. Even though that's exactly what America does when it rails against the injustice of the college football system exemplified by the BCS, then can't tear itself away from the broadcasts.

So ... "Gladiator'' on TNT? Seen that almost as often as "Manchurian.''

"American Gangster'' on BET? Not the kind of movie to bother watching on basic cable. "The Hangover'' is on Cinemax -- but live sports is better. Spurs-Knicks on this channel, Capitals-Lightning on that one.

As long as it's not the Sugar Bowl.

Recent unscientific polls indicate that sentiment against the bowl system, the BCS and the way college football conducts itself this time of year, runs about a megabazillion-to-1. There is no end of complaints and tirades directed at the system in the papers, on websites, on TV and talk radio, on social media and chat rooms and message boards and buses and subways and barber shops and malls -- basically any place sports fans congregate.

Suggestions on how to tweak, alter, destroy or replace the system span the spectrum, all the way up to Congressional intervention. (Higher if you include then-President-elect Obama's public preference for a playoff.)

Yet the idea that gets the least mileage, it seems, is this: stop watching the games. And it's the only idea that can work. It's the only weapon the public has in its arsenal. Yet, as usual, it's the one that it never has used wisely, and there are no signs that it ever will.

Here's another chance, one that comes every year at this time. Time is winding down to throw that punch, with only one BCS game left after Tuesday, but ... don't watch the games.

As long as ratings, measurable interest and intangible buzz all remain high, the powers-that-be in college football will always be able to quantify their reasons for sticking with the system. There will never be a concern that there won't be a bidder the next time the TV contract comes up. There will never be a shortage of corporate backers for the naming rights, commercials and other sponsorship.

And there will never be a time when the BCS, the NCAA or the bowl poobahs can't say, "People still eat this stuff up. Why should we care how much hot air they blow about how they hate this? These here numbers tell us they'll full of it.''

If, however, you stay locked in on the annual Twilight Zone marathon, as I did this New Year's Day (including the one with the kid who terrorized his family and town and turned the belligerent party guest into a jack-in-the-box), the poobahs' BCS-or-bust argument gets a lot weaker.

OK, so you individually have taken the boycott oath, as I have. You've only wavered a few times, as I have (yes, I saw that insane Tyrod Taylor TD pass in the Orange Bowl, and I'm not sorry I did). Understandable, because it's an addiction, and it's hard to kick right away, even for a long time. This is a habit. Particularly a New Year's habit. The games themselves are still what you love, and they're hard to turn away from, even when the score gets to 52-14 or so.

You know your own heart. But the sport-as-business doesn't see your heart. It sees this:

• Eight of the top 10 rated shows on cable last week, through Sunday, and 13 of the top 25, were either bowl games or bowl-related programming, according to Nielsen. Two of the games were BCS games. Three of them involved .500 teams.

• In that same time span, when it carried 18 bowl games (one other was aired on family-member ABC, another on CBS), ESPN was No. 1 in cable prime-time average audience, average audience for adults 18-49 and total per-day average. In that latter category, it beat out perennial champ Nickelodeon, kicking the network of SpongeBob right in its Squarepants.

• Saturday's Rose Bowl was the most-watched college football game ever carried by ESPN, and Monday's Orange Bowl was the third-most watched.

• More than 182,000 people watched parts of games online on ESPN's site last week.

• The Fiesta Bowl, in which Connecticut got thrashed by Oklahoma, had a higher rating in Hartford, Conn., on Saturday night than did the school's women's basketball team's 89th straight win back on Dec. 21. More indicative: that same record-breaking game, carried by the same family of networks, had half the national rating of the Beef O'Brady's Bowl at the same time.

You really want a playoff? An end to the 35 bowl games and the 6-6 teams lining up to play in them? To the unbeaten teams being left out of the championship picture? To bowl chairmen sweet-talking schools and governing bodies into ignoring their own rules? To artificial importance pumped into glorified exhibition games? To the whole incestuous university/bowl committee/NCAA/network relationship that brought us this?

Don't watch the games.

Unless you do that, the aforementioned won't give half a damn what you spew at the local talk-show host or in the comments section. When the ratings tank, when a repeat of House of Payne outdraws the Meineke Car Care Bowl, when the suits say, "Wow, they really can't stand this setup,'' that's when they'll think about whether there is a better way.

Of course, they'll also say, "This is why we can't allow the players to make money off of any of this.'' But that's another column for another time.

So if you'll excuse me, I have to catch the end of my favorite show, "Anything But a Bowl Game.''

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++END

Had to post these, nothing like your team on a cookie  but they were fun to create for a Louisiana friend from college.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1111 on: January 07, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »

None those are pieces of art.  Is that 'metallic' icing?  How did you do that?  And how do you get the lettering to be so exact?  Wow. 

What do you guys think about the Miracle Man Ted?  Homeless to Star overnight... Bizarre.  I have visions of a bunch of wanabee actors all of a sudden becoming homeless.. 
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1112 on: January 07, 2011, 12:01:19 PM »

None those are pieces of art.  Is that 'metallic' icing?  How did you do that?  And how do you get the lettering to be so exact?  Wow. 

What do you guys think about the Miracle Man Ted?  Homeless to Star overnight... Bizarre.  I have visions of a bunch of wanabee actors all of a sudden becoming homeless.. 

Thanks Bean, the gold is from using luster dust that you mix with vodka or lemon extract and paint onto the cookie. The lettering is all mine, good thing I worked for an architectural firm early in my career and had to learn good lettering for blueprints 

I'm hopeful Miracle Man Ted can stay clean, but I'm encouraged that people out there with jobs did respond to someone obviously humbling themselves to find work. We need more compassion and less corporate jocks !! 

Bean I learned you can paint with royal icing recently too, these pups are for you !

thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1113 on: January 07, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »

just have 5 minutes....but wanted to say happy new year to all my buds here! watched the game at a sports bar(first time i have ever done that and had a blast).....very big highs and very big lows during the game but i was proud of the team for now folding and coming back. i just new we were going to win when we blocked that punt with a minute to go! oh well....ryan mallett as expected going to the pro's announced last night....but we do have a lot of talent coming back and everybody here is so impressed with petrino!
pd.....pulling so hard for you guys next monday!!!!
none....enjoyed hearing from you by text tuesday night!!!
WOO PIG SOOOOOIEEEE!!!!!!
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1114 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:49 AM »

Congrats to LSU... I gotta say this.... Beebe screwed up again.  A&M shouldn't have been in that game.  Okie State should have.  They would have played better against LSU.  Bowl games mostly sucked this year.  Hope the big game is a good one.. we are due one!
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1115 on: January 08, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »

never saw any mention of what you guys thought of the tatoo 5 playing for ohio state in the bowl game??? personally, i wanted them to play just because if we had won all we would have heard is only reason why you won was because we didn't have our best players! as it turned out...we lost...still glad they played.....but we should have won that game....too many dropped passes and missed opportunities. i have seen where tressell has lost some credibility for playing the guys. was kind of sending the wrong message.....ok you were wrong but we will penalize you next year? WTH? i did hear that the sugar bowl committee or president called the sec and begged to let the players play in the bowl so the bowl would not be hurt!!!
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1116 on: January 08, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »

i know i follow this so much more,.....but one more funny......they were calling the big easy the pig easy since razorback fans took over the city!!! largest pep rally in sugar bowl history. arkansas fans do love their hogs and a good time!
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1117 on: January 08, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »

bean.....that story of the homeless guy was kind of neat. glad he took the cleveland cav job and gets a house...maybe with all the help he can keep his sobriety up! what a voice!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1118 on: January 08, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »

never saw any mention of what you guys thought of the tatoo 5 playing for ohio state in the bowl game??? personally, i wanted them to play just because if we had won all we would have heard is only reason why you won was because we didn't have our best players! as it turned out...we lost...still glad they played.....but we should have won that game....too many dropped passes and missed opportunities. i have seen where tressell has lost some credibility for playing the guys. was kind of sending the wrong message.....ok you were wrong but we will penalize you next year? WTH? i did hear that the sugar bowl committee or president called the sec and begged to let the players play in the bowl so the bowl would not be hurt!!!
I said I wasn't going to comment on the NCAA and their treatment of the "cash cow" programs -- but, I think there is absolutely NO reason to justify letting those players play. 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1119 on: January 08, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »

wreck I agree with you

I see no difference in selling a jersey on eBay and selling one in exchange for a tattoo! Bartering rings, jerseys, autographs for tattoos is still an exchange of $$$ of services.

cuz, I agree that the dropped passes were costly and could have won the game, but overall I felt your players played the tougher game.

Bean, I agree the wrong opponent was in that bowl game against LSU

Just saw this article on CNN of yet another opinion against the BCS system:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/08/martin.college.football/index.html?hpt=T2

here is an excerpt:

There is no bias on my part against Auburn and Oregon, two fine football teams. But it is nonsense to suggest that this is the best way to crown a national champion. Not only is it undemocratic, but there also is no doubt that determining who should play for the national college football title based on a poll is un-American.

And that's exactly how the brains behind the BCS want to keep it.

Folks, this is nothing more than a cartel. This system is designed to keep out the upstarts
that are not in the major conferences. This supposedly fair system makes it clear that only automatic qualifiers get a shot at playing for the big money and the big trophy. SEC? Yep. Big 12? No doubt. Big East? Thanks a bunch. Big 10? Hello, baby! ACC? Yes, sir! Pac-10? Sweet.

Yet if you're from the "Little Sisters of the Poor" conferences -- those are the words of Ohio State University President Gordon Gee when he derided TCU and Boise State for even being considered for a national championship game -- you have to hope and pray the pollsters don't screw you. That means the Mountain West, Sun Belt, Conference USA, the Mid-American and Western Athletic conferences must rank in the top 12 of the BCS poll to get the automatic bid.

In the world of the BCS, this is fair and aboveboard.

Sorry, it stinks to high heaven.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.