March 18, 2024, 08:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #3 8/14/10 -  (Read 1048453 times)
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1660 on: November 22, 2012, 12:31:28 PM »

I knew Red would come out to celebrate 

I can't say I've paid much attention to the rankings until I saw ND pull ahead of Bama.

Son has had such a hard season, lot to be said for how character-building it is to play on successful teams in college and then end up coaching for one at the bottom of their conference. Happy to say they are finally improving some, too late in the season to help much with a bowl bid but redeeming for the team and their patient fans. Two wins back - to -back. I honestly think the team also needed to learn to believe they could win too....

Bean enjoy those games, I surely miss them and having only attended one all season - feels like withdrawals!

Continued cheers for all the monkey teams 

My dream match up is Notre Dame vs. Alabama. A throw back to days of y'ore and 1973 when Bear Bryant lead Bama against Ara Parseghian's Fighting Irish

1973 Sugar Bowl - Notre Dame vs. Alabama, one of the greatest games ever for the National Championship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJuGwPZuBSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji7W8fITBEk&feature=related
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1661 on: November 22, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »

Latest AP Poll: 2012 NCAA Football Rankings - Week 13 (Nov. 18)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

1. ND
2. Bama
3. Georgia
4. OH St.
5. Oregon
6. Florida
7. Kansas St
8. LSU
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St
11. Stanford
12. Clemson

Sorry, but with no due respect to AP Coaches poll, your continued BS love affair with Oregon and KS state is just that. BS. The Ducks and K St were shown to be frauds Saturday night and everyone outside of Eugene, OR and Manhattan, KS knew it. Sorry, but the Ducks Xbox video game offense once again got punched in the mouth and folded. K State was an accident waiting to happen and was shown to be a complete fraud by an unranked Baylor team. Sorry, you do not get to lose a game by 4 TD's to an unranked team having pretty much playing no one and get to stay in the top 10 of the BCS.

Also, with regards to OR, they too have once again shown they are the same old video game offense who folds once they are presented with a defense. Stanford just showed us what would have happened had the ducks played an Irish or SEC defense in a Championship game.

If ND beats a down USC next week they will be playing for a BCS National Championship and much to those who hate Southeastern football. I should say are jealous. The BCS National Championship still runs through the SEC Championship game.

I was waiting for this ever since you insulted my OSU Cowboys last year!!!      

Notre Dame is better than in years' past -- but still Notre Dame. They will still blow it -- plenty of time!  Monkey Devil!

Did not mean to insult OK state, just did not think they had a chance. One thing this year vs. last year, Alabama's defense was 100 x's better last year. They losty a lot of talent to the NFL. My only point is this ... many of the bubble gum offenses fold like a cheap suit once they get hit in the mouth. The OR ducks are famous for it. BTW, the SEC is like playing an NFL schedule. To go undefeated in it is near impossible. Good grief, now the doormat of the SEC, Vanderbilt is good. BTW, Bama did play Michigan in the first game of the season in which many had predicted a good Wolverine team this year. Bama beat them like a drum. Who did OK St play out of conference, Savannah St? http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys

There is no question that the SEC is the best conference in the land. Until some one knocks them off.

Good luck in Bedlam against the Sooners.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1662 on: November 22, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

Latest AP Poll: 2012 NCAA Football Rankings - Week 13 (Nov. 18)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

1. ND
2. Bama
3. Georgia
4. OH St.
5. Oregon
6. Florida
7. Kansas St
8. LSU
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida St
11. Stanford
12. Clemson

Sorry, but with no due respect to AP Coaches poll, your continued BS love affair with Oregon and KS state is just that. BS. The Ducks and K St were shown to be frauds Saturday night and everyone outside of Eugene, OR and Manhattan, KS knew it. Sorry, but the Ducks Xbox video game offense once again got punched in the mouth and folded. K State was an accident waiting to happen and was shown to be a complete fraud by an unranked Baylor team. Sorry, you do not get to lose a game by 4 TD's to an unranked team having pretty much playing no one and get to stay in the top 10 of the BCS.

Also, with regards to OR, they too have once again shown they are the same old video game offense who folds once they are presented with a defense. Stanford just showed us what would have happened had the ducks played an Irish or SEC defense in a Championship game.

If ND beats a down USC next week they will be playing for a BCS National Championship and much to those who hate Southeastern football. I should say are jealous. The BCS National Championship still runs through the SEC Championship game.

I was waiting for this ever since you insulted my OSU Cowboys last year!!!      

Notre Dame is better than in years' past -- but still Notre Dame. They will still blow it -- plenty of time!  Monkey Devil!

Did not mean to insult OK state, just did not think they had a chance. One thing this year vs. last year, Alabama's defense was 100 x's better last year. They losty a lot of talent to the NFL. My only point is this ... many of the bubble gum offenses fold like a cheap suit once they get hit in the mouth. The OR ducks are famous for it. BTW, the SEC is like playing an NFL schedule. To go undefeated in it is near impossible. Good grief, now the doormat of the SEC, Vanderbilt is good. BTW, Bama did play Michigan in the first game of the season in which many had predicted a good Wolverine team this year. Bama beat them like a drum. Who did OK St play out of conference, Savannah St? http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys

There is no question that the SEC is the best conference in the land. Until some one knocks them off.

Good luck in Bedlam against the Sooners.
We did play Savannah St (that was a last minute replacement due to A&M screwing up scheduling by jumping to the SEC). We DID play Arizona non-conference. Oh well ... that's why we play all of these games -- it all washes out in the end (well at least it will when we finally get a playoff system)!! 

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1663 on: November 24, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »

Wreck,

You bring up a point above that I would love to hear everyone's opinion on regarding rivalry games in honor of this weekends epic rivalries.

Some one needs to explain to me how a rivalry game ends just because two teams are not in the same conference. I may be a ND fan but I love to watch all college football. One of the great things I remember watching was the rivalry games. I am dismayed and disgusted that colleges have ended many of these classic battles just because they are no longer in the same conference.

Rivalry that are no longer ... Texas vs. Teas A&M (its bad enough the A&M bonfires are no more tragically, but this game goes bye,bye. Missouri vs. Kansas, these two states have been battling each other since the Civil War. Pittsburgh vs. West Virginia: the backyard brawl goes away. Previously gone was the annual OK - Nebraska battles. Please provide others if I have missed any.

Wreck, imagine if for what ever reason either OK or Ok St go to the SEC. Can you imagine there would be no "Bedlam"?

Rivalry games do not exist because they are teams in the same conference ... they exist because they are natural rivals. For example, the Red River Shoot out between Oklahoma and Texas. This was a rivalry game long before Texas entered the Big 8, 12 what ever. The Long Horns were in the SWC when this rivalry game began.

What about the SEC vs the ACC rivalry games of GA Tech and Georgia, South Carolina vs. Clemson and Florida vs. Florida State? Regionally, there are no greater rivalry games than these and they are not in the same conference.

I think its sad that these colleges cannot do the right thing and keep the rivalries. Instead, the powers that be cop attitudes as other colleges take the money to go elsewhere.

Opinions? Comments?
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1664 on: November 24, 2012, 12:26:17 PM »

Wreck,

You bring up a point above that I would love to hear everyone's opinion on regarding rivalry games in honor of this weekends epic rivalries.

Some one needs to explain to me how a rivalry game ends just because two teams are not in the same conference. I may be a ND fan but I love to watch all college football. One of the great things I remember watching was the rivalry games. I am dismayed and disgusted that colleges have ended many of these classic battles just because they are no longer in the same conference.

Rivalry that are no longer ... Texas vs. Teas A&M (its bad enough the A&M bonfires are no more tragically, but this game goes bye,bye. Missouri vs. Kansas, these two states have been battling each other since the Civil War. Pittsburgh vs. West Virginia: the backyard brawl goes away. Previously gone was the annual OK - Nebraska battles. Please provide others if I have missed any.

Wreck, imagine if for what ever reason either OK or Ok St go to the SEC. Can you imagine there would be no "Bedlam"?

Rivalry games do not exist because they are teams in the same conference ... they exist because they are natural rivals. For example, the Red River Shoot out between Oklahoma and Texas. This was a rivalry game long before Texas entered the Big 8, 12 what ever. The Long Horns were in the SWC when this rivalry game began.

What about the SEC vs the ACC rivalry games of GA Tech and Georgia, South Carolina vs. Clemson and Florida vs. Florida State? Regionally, there are no greater rivalry games than these and they are not in the same conference.

I think its sad that these colleges cannot do the right thing and keep the rivalries. Instead, the powers that be cop attitudes as other colleges take the money to go elsewhere.

Opinions? Comments?
I'm right there with you! That is the rub with going to a playoff system -- we are losing more and more of these with the new "Super Conferences." I guess when we get to a point where there are only 4 conferences -- maybe schools won't have to schedule cupcakes just to boost their "poll" ratings. I would like to see schools then go back and restore these old rivalry games as their "non-conference" games.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1665 on: November 25, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »

Alot of the rivalries died because the team that was 'down' at the time of the division split elected not to renew it... case in point OK vs NU.  Tom O wanted to keep it going but when the Big 8 became 12 OK was sent to the southern division and this was when OK was in a downward spiral and they didn't want to risk another loss.  Ironically Tom O's last deal a few weeks ago was to get OK to agree to a series of games in like 2020 and 2021.  I hope I'm around to enjoy them!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1666 on: November 25, 2012, 03:54:00 AM »

Congratulations Red !  ENJOY !!!

Son's team won their last 3 games, today their greatest nemesis gave them their props finally - don't you just love those hometown sports writers who love to hate on their home team?? Was nice to see him eat some crow and give the new HC and all of his staff some kudos. Best season-end in over 5 years for this team, won't get them a bowl bid (high side is son will be home for xmas) but I think son will learn and grow more as a coach from this season than being on a top team. They ended 4W to 4L for their conference games 

Red I hate to write this but the trickle-down is complete from NFL to NCAA football. It is all about winning and the all-mighty dollar. Drives all decisions, fans don't want losing teams and as Bean said, if rivalries mean losing then AD's can't take the fall-out and keep their jobs either.

Congrats to all the monkey teams with winning seasons, lucky you!! Looks like Petrino's replacement at Arkansas was sent packing as soon as the game ended. College football coaching is not for the faint of heart.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1667 on: November 25, 2012, 09:05:28 AM »

Son's team won their last 3 games, today their greatest nemesis gave them their props finally - don't you just love those hometown sports writers who love to hate on their home team?? Was nice to see him eat some crow and give the new HC and all of his staff some kudos. Best season-end in over 5 years for this team, won't get them a bowl bid (high side is son will be home for xmas) but I think son will learn and grow more as a coach from this season than being on a top team. They ended 4W to 4L for their conference games 

Red I hate to write this but the trickle-down is complete from NFL to NCAA football. It is all about winning and the all-mighty dollar. Drives all decisions, fans don't want losing teams and as Bean said, if rivalries mean losing then AD's can't take the fall-out and keep their jobs either.

Congrats to all the monkey teams with winning seasons, lucky you!! Looks like Petrino's replacement at Arkansas was sent packing as soon as the game ended. College football coaching is not for the faint of heart.

Thank you. WOO-HOO ... Waking up the echoes after nearly 25 years.

Notre Dame with big win to play for the BCS National Championship. Although I will say that I think coach Kelly played a dangerous game of playing not to lose rather than to win. The game should have been a much larger win than it was; however, every time ND got into the red zone, Kelley kept go no back set when it was Riddick who was shredding the SC defense for nearly 150 yards. But a win is a win.

I will say this and I find it rather ironic in today's college game of xBox offenses. It was a defense stand for the ages that brought ND within one game of a BCS championship. Also, if as I believe Alabama will beat Georgia and play for the BCS as well, it will be the two best defenses in the country playing for the title. This in the midst where teams feel the need to score 100 points to win.

Go ND!!! 
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1668 on: November 25, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »

Alot of the rivalries died because the team that was 'down' at the time of the division split elected not to renew it... case in point OK vs NU.  Tom O wanted to keep it going but when the Big 8 became 12 OK was sent to the southern division and this was when OK was in a downward spiral and they didn't want to risk another loss.  Ironically Tom O's last deal a few weeks ago was to get OK to agree to a series of games in like 2020 and 2021.  I hope I'm around to enjoy them!

I really wish they would bring back these rivalries because this is what made college football great. If fans are not provided good games, the average fan is not going to watch. And I have to agree with Nonesuch, it is about the $. Its comical that they go after these college athletes for daring to get a free pair of sneakers, yet they make millions off of them.

The following is going to be an interesting situation when it comes to a 4 team playoff in 2014. Don't ask for things it might come true. Since the computers are going away and it will be more decided by a committee much like the NCAA Basketball Big Dance, this committee is going to determine who is credible by the same factors as they do in basketball ... good wins, bad losses, strength of schedule, winning and playing in conference championship, etc.

Its going to make no sense to play cupcakes as strength of schedule may be the determining factor to get in. Some of these teams, Oregon Ducks, are going to have to play someone tough out of conference. No one wants a pretender playing for a championship just because they score alot vs. inferior talent.

Personally, I believe that the NCAA playoff should be 8 teams and it needs to start before New Years. This idea that ND is going to have a 44 day layoff and AL/GA will be off 37 days is a joke. It is once again done for $ only. This amount of days off does nothing for the play on the field.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1669 on: November 25, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »

None and Red - spot on.  I failed to mention the money part.. my bad!  With the outrageous salaries and subsequent heat to win at all costs I don't see this changing.  Agree that the game will change a great deal with conference expansion and playoffs.  The reason I watch college vs. pro football is because it's always been about 'heart'.  I fear that will go away.

The other thing that 'gets my goat' is the media... particularly ESPN.  Their bias is ridiculous and their reporting is pure BS.  Too many agendas, particularly when they have ownership in outcomes.  Pisses me off!
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1670 on: November 25, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »

Lots of coaches on the hot seat... who's next?

Lane Kiffin should be after his offensive fiasco/time management issues last night... what a debacle that was Smile

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1671 on: November 25, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »

I actually plan on writing a FPP on this as well but wanted to first mention it here.

I have hated Florida St ever since they went from underdogs in the 80's to the expected winners of their former whining coach Bobby Bowden who cried his way to a National Championship.

However, what they did yesterday was as rotten a move as I have ever seen and they should be brought up on NCAA sanctions for it. Too bad the NCAA is just as corropt and could care less about the college athlete. The NCAA was actually formed to protect the college athlete, instead all they do is go after them for getting free sneakers and food and let the Colleges make millions off their blood, sweat, tears and brains. Brains, you say ... but Red, since when are football players known for their brains?

During yesterday's a$$whooping at the hands of SEC East power Florida (37-26, although the final 6 by FSU was an afterthought), the FLA St QB got nailed with what separates the SEC from all other conferences, an SEC tackle. EJ Manuel was knocked into next week, fumbled the ball and was taken out of the game with an obvious concussion. The back came in and did nothing. The gators were on their way to scoring 24 straight points in the 4th qtr when low and behold FLA St sent Manuel back into the game when he had an concussion to win the game.

FLA ST, you bastards should be ashamed of yourself. Trust me, I have played college sports, I have received concussions; however, nothing like the violent hit that Manuel received and no, I was not allowed back in any game and did not recover in 15-20 minutes.

This was shameful on the part of the Seminoles as they could care less whether this kid was coherent or not. The dr's and trainers that allowed this should lose their jobs. The announcers of the game kept asking why there seemed to be no sense of urgency. DUH!!! He had a concussion you morons.

Had this been an NFL game, that kid would never have been allowed to play.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1672 on: November 25, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »

Thank you. WOO-HOO ... Waking up the echoes after nearly 25 years.

Notre Dame with big win to play for the BCS National Championship. Although I will say that I think coach Kelly played a dangerous game of playing not to lose rather than to win. The game should have been a much larger win than it was; however, every time ND got into the red zone, Kelley kept go no back set when it was Riddick who was shredding the SC defense for nearly 150 yards. But a win is a win.

I will say this and I find it rather ironic in today's college game of xBox offenses. It was a defense stand for the ages that brought ND within one game of a BCS championship. Also, if as I believe Alabama will beat Georgia and play for the BCS as well, it will be the two best defenses in the country playing for the title. This in the midst where teams feel the need to score 100 points to win.

Go ND!!! 

I understand the frustrations with playing not to lose but will also say it's how son's second alma mater won their conference championship, in fact it was how they won their season. Trouble is now that HC is in the Big East and that strategy is not working as well?

Take the win, however you got it - I agree that you'll likely face Bama in the BCS and honestly - it will be refreshing to see defenses rule !

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1673 on: November 25, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »

I really wish they would bring back these rivalries because this is what made college football great. If fans are not provided good games, the average fan is not going to watch. And I have to agree with Nonesuch, it is about the $. Its comical that they go after these college athletes for daring to get a free pair of sneakers, yet they make millions off of them.

The following is going to be an interesting situation when it comes to a 4 team playoff in 2014. Don't ask for things it might come true. Since the computers are going away and it will be more decided by a committee much like the NCAA Basketball Big Dance, this committee is going to determine who is credible by the same factors as they do in basketball ... good wins, bad losses, strength of schedule, winning and playing in conference championship, etc.

Its going to make no sense to play cupcakes as strength of schedule may be the determining factor to get in. Some of these teams, Oregon Ducks, are going to have to play someone tough out of conference. No one wants a pretender playing for a championship just because they score alot vs. inferior talent.

Personally, I believe that the NCAA playoff should be 8 teams and it needs to start before New Years. This idea that ND is going to have a 44 day layoff and AL/GA will be off 37 days is a joke. It is once again done for $ only. This amount of days off does nothing for the play on the field.

Agree on all counts. Having had son on scholarship I can honestly say that it covers room, board, and books. No $$$ for even a PC, much less transportation.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1674 on: November 25, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »

Lots of coaches on the hot seat... who's next?

Lane Kiffin should be after his offensive fiasco/time management issues last night... what a debacle that was Smile

Kiffen has nine lives, have to wonder who protects him so much? His Daddy must have some mammoth contacts.

TN has been calling for Dooley's head all season long....

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1675 on: November 25, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »

Gene Chizik is gone from Auburn already???

Speaking of rivalries Red, there ya go - you can't not score in the biggest rivalry and keep your job at least in AL !

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1676 on: November 25, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »

Geez O'Brien is gone from NCSU too ???? Heck another loss to two rivals this season - further proof of how rivalries rule.

Bean, here is a quote on ESPN about Kiffen's tenure..........yep if he has to fire Dad then no doubt he will. Kiffen's middle name is ruthless.

The Los Angeles Times' Bill Plaschke got some quality phone time with USC athletic director Pat Haden, who recently confirmed that Kiffin is as safe as a kitten for now.

"Lane is my head coach, 150 percent, now and hopefully for a long time," Haden told Plaschke. "I see the future. I see the potential. I know what he's been fighting through and I like what he's done."

And then this from Haden:

"Were our expectations too high? Maybe. But I see a lot of positives, a lot of things to build on, and I hope Lane and I are together a long time."

And this:

"Coaches live and die with wins, but athletic directors look at everything. Lane has graduated 83 percent of his seniors so far. He has committed no NCAA infractions. He's recruited tremendously. He's been fantastic in many ways."

The Trojans are 7-4 and unranked. They began the season No. 1 in the Associated Press poll. Fantastic is not a word you'd use to describe USC's season.

Maybe that's why Haden mentioned that Kiffin is going to "evaluate" his coaching staff. In other words, Kiffin's dad, defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, might not be DC next year. Or maybe he's gone altogether.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1677 on: November 25, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »

Hi none!!!

Christmas cookies? 

At 3:00 PM PT there will be a large gathering at our church to watch the game in our gym on a large screen.  Lots of food.  Good company.  I could care less who wun.  I don't even  understand the game and I am getting caught up in the excitement.

Take care.

Janet

Canadian football fans descend on Toronto for historic 100th Grey Cup game
By Linda Nguyen, The Canadian Press November 25, 2012 8:56 AM

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canadian+football+fans+descend+into+Toronto+historic+100th+Grey/7607401/story.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1678 on: November 25, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »

Here's a list of the current job openings.  Going to be some shuffling no doubt!

Arkansas
Auburn
Boston College
California
Kentucky
NC State
Purdue
Tennessee
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1679 on: November 25, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »

Here's a list of the current job openings.  Going to be some shuffling no doubt!

Arkansas
Auburn
Boston College
California
Kentucky
NC State
Purdue
Tennessee
Colorado

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.