March 18, 2024, 09:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #3 8/14/10 -  (Read 1048469 times)
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1860 on: December 08, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »

I was watching the games yesterday with some Auburn fans and needless to say, the back and forth roller-coaster of scoring, momentum swings and fan excitement is what makes college football so great. Needless to say they watched the OSU - Mich St game just as intently. 

I can honesty say, I think I am more a college football fan than I am a fan of one team. I have been a ND fan since I was a kid, but I can literally watch any good college FB.

I love the traditions and they went nuts on the Plains yesterday after their SEC Championship and the Ohio St loss.

Check out the day after at Toomer's Corner. 

http://www.auburnalabama.org/cams/Toomers/
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1861 on: December 08, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »

Bama will destroy Oklahoma.

RE FSU guess we shall see.  Flip side is I didn't see a whole lot of defense in the SEC title game so can Auburn hold back FSU's offense?  None of us have any idea.  Each division has their own style of play and so it is impossible to really know how they will stack up.  That's what makes bowl games either fantastic or blow outs. 

Bet that was fun being with Auburn fans during that game.  Last weekend I think the entire nation (except for Tide fans) was jumping up and down when Auburn returned that last ball.  I was with my 9 year old nephew and we were jumping up and down as if we were wearing blue and orange.  It was just such a crazy ending.  I think we are all hoping to see a new team rise to the top.  Guess we'll find out who it is in January.

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1862 on: December 08, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »

Bama will destroy Oklahoma.

RE FSU guess we shall see.  Flip side is I didn't see a whole lot of defense in the SEC title game so can Auburn hold back FSU's offense?  None of us have any idea.  Each division has their own style of play and so it is impossible to really know how they will stack up.  That's what makes bowl games either fantastic or blow outs. 

Bet that was fun being with Auburn fans during that game.  Last weekend I think the entire nation (except for Tide fans) was jumping up and down when Auburn returned that last ball.  I was with my 9 year old nephew and we were jumping up and down as if we were wearing blue and orange.  It was just such a crazy ending.  I think we are all hoping to see a new team rise to the top.  Guess we'll find out who it is in January.

Agreed!

The only thing I don't like about it is that there is too long of a lay off between now and the Championship game. Any momentum that a team has now, is all gone in January. I think that is part of the reason many bowls turn out to be much different than one would expect. Some teams prepare better than others during the wait.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1863 on: December 08, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »

Absolutely - and alot of it has to do with whether the team perceives they got a 'good bowl' game. 

Example Nebraska played Washington 2 times in the same season and we beat them the first time and felt 'cheated' by being rematched.  Washington wanted the W and they beat the crap out of us.  Ironically we just found out tonight we aren't going to Tempe as expected - instead back to Florida for a rematch with Georgia who beat us last year. 

During that long period the teams that want it practice hard and those that don't get complacent and it shows up during the games which is why there are always some 'surprises'.  Makes watching them fun yet frustrating. 

And let's talk quantity - holy cow there are so many bowls it is insane.  I really liked it when they were all on Jan 1st. weekend.  Made for a few great days of good football.  I miss those days.  Oh well it will all change next year and we'll see how it goes.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1864 on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »

OK we gotta talk coaching changes...

USC hiring Sarkisian was sort of a surprise as so many predicted Gruden (hahaha) but boy oh boy did Washington come up smelling like roses by hiring Chris P who everyone has been trying to lure away ... congrat KTF

Now we have rumblings that Mack Brown is to be fired and of course Saban will be offered 100 million. Seems like there is alot to the MB part of the rumor at least.  I hate to see a coach that has had success end his career like this.  Just doesn't seem right. 

What you guys think?
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1865 on: December 10, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »

Absolutely - and alot of it has to do with whether the team perceives they got a 'good bowl' game. 

Example Nebraska played Washington 2 times in the same season and we beat them the first time and felt 'cheated' by being rematched.  Washington wanted the W and they beat the crap out of us.  Ironically we just found out tonight we aren't going to Tempe as expected - instead back to Florida for a rematch with Georgia who beat us last year. 

During that long period the teams that want it practice hard and those that don't get complacent and it shows up during the games which is why there are always some 'surprises'.  Makes watching them fun yet frustrating. 

And let's talk quantity - holy cow there are so many bowls it is insane.  I really liked it when they were all on Jan 1st. weekend.  Made for a few great days of good football.  I miss those days.  Oh well it will all change next year and we'll see how it goes.

I agree that never should a bowl game be a game that had been played during the regular season unless for some reason they play in the Championship Game like when LSU played Alabama a couple of years ago.

Agree also with way too many Bowl games. For the life of me I do not understand why a 6-6 team is considered bowl eligible. Talk about mediocrity.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1866 on: December 10, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »

OK we gotta talk coaching changes...

USC hiring Sarkisian was sort of a surprise as so many predicted Gruden (hahaha) but boy oh boy did Washington come up smelling like roses by hiring Chris P who everyone has been trying to lure away ... congrat KTF

Now we have rumblings that Mack Brown is to be fired and of course Saban will be offered 100 million. Seems like there is alot to the MB part of the rumor at least.  I hate to see a coach that has had success end his career like this.  Just doesn't seem right. 

What you guys think?

I was stunned that Chris Petersen left Boise St. I really never thought he was going to leave there. He had so many chances to leave there and go to more high profile teams than the University of Washington. I just always thought he would just stay at Boise and stated their as long as Joe Pa did at Penn St.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/06/chris-petersen-goes-to-washington-huskies-leaves-boise-state/3889233/

I can't see Saban leaving Bama, but then again, I was 100% wrong about Petersen. I think this past year left a bad taste in Saban's craw. Also, he is coaching the best team in what is far and above the most dominating conference in the land. Although I know that there is a tremendous amount of pressure when there is an unreal expectation to win a National Championship every year. Sometimes you want to take on a project and make it successful, rather than just feeding the beast and a fan base that is unrealistic.

I am sure there would be more firings.  and dominos falling in the coaching ranks. I am a bit shocked that Gator's coach Will Muschamp did not get the axe.

How do you fire Mack Brown when he was 1 win away from winning the Big 12 and going to a BCS Bowl? Sad state of affairs when a man gives 16 years to a University and program to get treated like this. What a terrible message.

Sad, ESPN is reporting that Brown is set to resign.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10116548/texas-longhorns-coach-mack-brown-expected-resign
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1867 on: December 10, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »

LOL If Mack Brown resigns it is all a formality to save face.  They've been reporting he's fired for weeks and just today he (Mack) said he is not stepping down.  I read it'll go down by Friday as that is senior day and they want to honor him.  OMG how ironic is that?  I know the program has slipped a bit but he made some in season adjustments to the staff that showed serious improvements.  Dang and we are stuck with Pelini who refuses to make staff changes.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1868 on: December 10, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »

I know it seems impossible - but I have been telling my Texas buddies for 6 months that Saban was no worse than 50-50 ending up at UT. Saban is is a hard-headed maverick and really has no loyalties. He has done everything he can Alabama.  Money talks. Think about it - where would Saban and his wife rather live? The hill country around Austin or Tuscaloosa?? On top of that, it is rumored that Saban was talked into investing in a big deal with Alabama boosters that went south. He is reportedly fuming. The Texas money is off the charts.

Frijole -- I heard jokes today that Mac Brown may end up at Nebraska!!  (I know how much you all think so highly of the Texas program!!) 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1869 on: December 11, 2013, 07:08:03 AM »

Yea those rumors hit up here too.  Don't buy it as our boosters and regents need to see another sheety year before they are willing to let go of Bo.  SMH 

Interesting comments about Saban.. guess we'll know before long.  So if he goes to UT who does Bama go after?  Briles and Gus M just locked into contracts.  Urban Meyer?
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1870 on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »

Yea those rumors hit up here too.  Don't buy it as our boosters and regents need to see another sheety year before they are willing to let go of Bo.  SMH 

Interesting comments about Saban.. guess we'll know before long.  So if he goes to UT who does Bama go after?  Briles and Gus M just locked into contracts.  Urban Meyer?

Looks like Saban staying at Alabama. Hat tip to Saban for not bolting on his newly signed agreement and honoring his commitment, not only to the University of Alabama but also his players. This puts Texas in an awkward spot. They have all but tried to run Brown out, now who would they turn to? I really cannot think of another coach even close to Saban's stature that the Long Horns could go to.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10135355/nick-saban-agrees-new-deal-stay-alabama-crimson-tide
Alabama and Nick Saban have agreed to a long-term deal that will keep the four-time champion coach in Tuscaloosa, the school confirmed Friday night.

Saban's new deal was first reported by ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit.

Saban, who has recently been rumored as a candidate to replace Mack Brown at Texas, was already the highest paid coach in college football at $5.62 million per year after signing an extension in March that kept him under contract through 2020.

Alabama didn't release terms of the new deal, which must be approved by the board of trustees. The Tuscaloosa News reported the new contract will raise Saban's salary to between $7 and $7.5 million per year and further extend the length of the deal.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1871 on: December 14, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

Jimmy Sexton (Sabans agent) wins again. 

Alot of NU fans wanted to play TX in a bowl game.  That would have been ironic - both teams hating on their coach wanting the other team to win. 
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1872 on: December 15, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »

You are correct Frijole, Saban stays at Alabama and gets a new extended contract ... Saban says he never considered that he even contemplated Texas. Amazing what leverage does. I honestly think Saban was in the catbird seat and it would have been a win-win no matter what. Saban could go to Long Horns and become the first college coach to win national championships at 3 different colleges. Or stay at Bama and create the greatest dynasty ever.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10136999/nick-saban-alabama-crimson-tide-coach-refutes-speculated-links-texas-longhorns

It turns out that Mack Brown will step down afterall after 16 years as coach. He will coach hos final game for Long Horns at the Alamo Bowl on Jan 30.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10138466/mack-brown-resigns-coach-texas-longhorns
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1873 on: December 15, 2013, 11:03:49 AM »

The new Texas rumors here is that they will go after Jim Jarbaugh. 

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1874 on: December 15, 2013, 01:59:56 PM »

The new Texas rumors here is that they will go after Jim Harbaugh. 

I would think that was more rumor and wishful thinking than anything else. Just can't see Harbaugh leaving SF 49ers and going back to college.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297918/article/jim-harbaugh-mike-tomlin-wont-leave-for-texas-job

Honestly I can't really even put my finger on who would be the next replacement. Many of the really good coaches just got extensions like Saban, Texas A&M Sumlin, Baylor's Art Briles. 
Ex-Boise St coach Chris Petersen just took Washington job

Maybe James Franklin from Vanderbilt but I just don't see it as a good fit. Urban Meyer would be the most hated man in Ohio if he ever left now for the warm and endowment rich coffers of Texas.

Maybe the coach at Stanford or Louisville?

Would Mike Gundy leave OK St for Texas, I don't see that either, but who knows in this day and age.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1875 on: December 15, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »

I read that Mike Leach is an option paired with a heavy hitter DC.  That would be something to watch... Can you imagine ML with the booster club at UT?   

Some Austin Statesman reporter tweeted that someone saying they were from NU had reached out to Mack Brown and he isn't interested.  Timing would be really stupid on that one.  I think its a social media hoax.  LORD help me.

So what did you guys think of the Heisman winner?  Not sure what to think - guess I was raised to believe it isn't just the best player award but also one of great character.... my age is showing I know...
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1876 on: December 22, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »

I read that Mike Leach is an option paired with a heavy hitter DC.  That would be something to watch... Can you imagine ML with the booster club at UT?   

Some Austin Statesman reporter tweeted that someone saying they were from NU had reached out to Mack Brown and he isn't interested.  Timing would be really stupid on that one.  I think its a social media hoax.  LORD help me.

So what did you guys think of the Heisman winner?  Not sure what to think - guess I was raised to believe it isn't just the best player award but also one of great character.... my age is showing I know...

Sadly the character issue was shattered when Johnny Football won it last year. Or Cam Newton and all the controversy that surrounded him. Oh that's right, it was just his father, sure it was.

On the Long Horn front, the "Grumors" have started as well. There is no way I can see John Gruden leaving his comfy, high paying job to go back to the sidelines unless it is to coach the Dallas Cowboys.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1877 on: December 23, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »

Every time there is a major opening they throw out Gruden as a candidate.  Its funny. 

Bowl games are upon us - enjoy everyone and have a wonderful holiday season!!! 
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1878 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »

Sadly the character issue was shattered when Johnny Football won it last year. Or Cam Newton and all the controversy that surrounded him. Oh that's right, it was just his father, sure it was.

On the Long Horn front, the "Grumors" have started as well. There is no way I can see John Gruden leaving his comfy, high paying job to go back to the sidelines unless it is to coach the Dallas Cowboys.
Texas is a MUCH better job than the Cowboys!! $10 million ....... And NO Jerry Jones

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1879 on: December 24, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »

Texas is a MUCH better job than the Cowboys!! $10 million ....... And NO Jerry Jones

Well the caveat would be that Jerry Jones would have to actually care about winning and bring the Cowboys back to prominence rather than being a lunatic, narcissist, ego, head case. At some point JJ is going to have to realize his mortality and actually want to win again and be a dynasty. That requires a good coach, not a puppet. There is a reason why the Cowboys have not won since Jimmy Johnson left and I do not want to hear they won a Super Bowl under Barry Switzer. They won it in spite of Switzer and Jones and won it with the remnants of Johnson's players.

Many pro coaches do not want to go backwards into college no matter how good the job is. There are rules they have to follow in college, well most of the time. He really has no real experience coaching in college as a coordinator other than a receivers coach. That and his coaching style, I cant imagine that would play well in today's NCAA or college athlete.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Gruden

Annual Salary: $4.3 million for 17 weeks of work actually prorates to a $13 million
http://www.mandatory.com/2012/04/16/whos-the-richest-sportscaster/9

My only point was that to move Gruden out of is cush job, it would have to be big. Bigger than a college job like Texas where the boosters have far to much say.

I can see Gruden taking only two jobs, the Dallas Cowboys (with above exceptions) and Patriots if  Belichick ever stepped down. I could see Craft and Gruden working perfect together.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.