March 28, 2024, 02:25:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #3 8/14/10 -  (Read 1049315 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1220 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »

Yep... but like all things greed will eventually lead to its demise don't you think?  They keep this up the NCAA, crooks that they are will have no choice but to address it.  Disgusting.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1221 on: February 15, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »

Yep... but like all things greed will eventually lead to its demise don't you think?  They keep this up the NCAA, crooks that they are will have no choice but to address it.  Disgusting.

Hopefully Bean but I'd caution not to hold your breath 

Interesting radio interview with Urban Meyer regarding "outlaw coaches" are not afraid of the NCAA?

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/urban-meyer-outlaw-coaches-not-afraid-of-ncaa-29493

note to wreck - he mentions Dez Bryant, worth your time to listen

I continue to stand with the girl.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1222 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »

Hopefully Bean but I'd caution not to hold your breath 

Interesting radio interview with Urban Meyer regarding "outlaw coaches" are not afraid of the NCAA?

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/urban-meyer-outlaw-coaches-not-afraid-of-ncaa-29493

note to wreck - he mentions Dez Bryant, worth your time to listen
Well, I know I am biased but like I said all along --- Dez was NEVER accused of breaking a NCAA rule -- only that he LIED to the NCAA. He was drummed completely out of college football. If he went to to Texas, USC, Alabama , or Ohio State -- it would never have happened. I will stand by that by that all day long. Urban is right!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1223 on: February 16, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »

I was heartsick when I saw this today, I simply cannot believe how someone could have struck down a landmark like a thief in the night. This is simply proof of how obsessed some football fans can become to the degree they obviously cannot hold onto their sanity.

Toomer's Corner, the live oaks there likely soon to die due to poisoning

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/02/auburn_toomers_corner_oaks_poisoned.html

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1224 on: February 17, 2011, 12:10:26 AM »

I was heartsick when I saw this today, I simply cannot believe how someone could have struck down a landmark like a thief in the night. This is simply proof of how obsessed some football fans can become to the degree they obviously cannot hold onto their sanity.

That's despicable -- nothing funny, amusing, or remotely acceptable rivalry "fun". It's not a silly prank like kidnapping a rival's mascot for a few days -- it's like actually killing it. Really sad!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1225 on: February 17, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »

That's despicable -- nothing funny, amusing, or remotely acceptable rivalry "fun". It's not a silly prank like kidnapping a rival's mascot for a few days -- it's like actually killing it. Really sad!

that's a good analogy wreck, it truly is like killing a living thing but also such a long-held even 'green' living tradition! It's even on our local early news tonight and I just hope broadcasting it near and far draws out tree experts nationally that might be able to help.

thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1226 on: February 19, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »

glad they caught that nut case! what an idiot...calling a radio station to brag!
good to hear bama fans are just as angry!!!
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1227 on: March 09, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »

Interesting developments at Ohio State.  Tressel covering up and not reporting known violations by his kids BEFORE the 2010 season.  Will be interesting to see what the NCAA does.  Lots of discussion on our boards... one guy pointed out that Dez Bryant had to sit out an entire season for lying to the NCAA for a far less issue.. Tressel gets caught lying and is willing to sit out two games against directional schools.  Will the NCAA do the right thing?  What do you think?

I'm thinking not.  Sad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6194162&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_6194162

Here are the emails between the lawyer and Tressel
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/documents-read-the-actual-jim-tressel-emails-29547
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1228 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:41 AM »

Interesting developments at Ohio State.  Tressel covering up and not reporting known violations by his kids BEFORE the 2010 season.  Will be interesting to see what the NCAA does.  Lots of discussion on our boards... one guy pointed out that Dez Bryant had to sit out an entire season for lying to the NCAA for a far less issue.. Tressel gets caught lying and is willing to sit out two games against directional schools.  Will the NCAA do the right thing?  What do you think?

I'm thinking not.  Sad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6194162&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_6194162

Here are the emails between the lawyer and Tressel
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/documents-read-the-actual-jim-tressel-emails-29547
I think we all already know the answer to your question! 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1229 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »

I've been out of the loop so thanks for the links Bean. I think the NCAA is truly a lost cause now, we can't ever expect them to truly govern with equity anymore.

Reading the emails on this link is really enlightening. I guess what surprises me most is how the players sell their championship rings even before they graduate.

Sure appears Tressel's job was never at risk over this either.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1230 on: March 09, 2011, 06:55:48 PM »

I've been out of the loop so thanks for the links Bean. I think the NCAA is truly a lost cause now, we can't ever expect them to truly govern with equity anymore.

Reading the emails on this link is really enlightening. I guess what surprises me most is how the players sell their championship rings even before they graduate.

Sure appears Tressel's job was never at risk over this either.
Well the players have to sit out five games next year but were allowed to play in the bowl game which was BS.  Anyway... the players get 5 games and the coach 2?  What message does that send?  I think this thing is boiling and will blow up.  You just wait.  Even people from Ohio are pissed at Tressel. 
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1231 on: March 25, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »

This is precedent-setting - only Ralph Nader would take on the biz of college sports.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-03-24/ralph-nader-calls-for-ending-athletic-scholarships?icid=maing|main5|dl3|sec3_lnk1|51705

Ralph Nader calls for ending athletic scholarships

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1232 on: March 30, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »

Well........................ so much for me defending Dez!!!!  Monkey Devil! While he hasn't robbed a bank or raped someone --- he is about an IDIOT!!!!! 

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1233 on: March 31, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »

Well........................ so much for me defending Dez!!!!  Monkey Devil! While he hasn't robbed a bank or raped someone --- he is about an IDIOT!!!!! 
Wreck your a credit to OSU, you defended Dez on the NCAA issue and made a fine argument that penalties are not fairly given out to all universities. As far as Dez, its possible that big money may have won in the end.  I was watching a Fab 5 production that just came out. The end of the production lightly touched on Chris Weber and the money from a booster. Very similar amount of money and based on future pro contracts.  Unfortunately, they are still kids, financially broke and future millionaires. The worst thing about it is, they ultimately mess up their school and fans.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1234 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:34 AM »

Wreck.... the kid has done some stupid things no doubt about it... but the NCAA did SCREW him by not allowing him to play for an entire season. 
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1235 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »

Wreck.... the kid has done some stupid things no doubt about it... but the NCAA did SCREW him by not allowing him to play for an entire season. 
What triggered all this latest nonsense is that he was kicked out of a big/exclusive mall here in Dallas for he and his "friends" wearing their pants too low! The word here is that in all the big jewelery he bought -- apparently a jeweld belt buckle wasn't part of his collection!  Monkey Devil!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1236 on: April 02, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »

Wreck your a credit to OSU, you defended Dez on the NCAA issue and made a fine argument that penalties are not fairly given out to all universities. As far as Dez, its possible that big money may have won in the end.  I was watching a Fab 5 production that just came out. The end of the production lightly touched on Chris Weber and the money from a booster. Very similar amount of money and based on future pro contracts.  Unfortunately, they are still kids, financially broke and future millionaires. The worst thing about it is, they ultimately mess up their school and fans.

All so true kiwi, but it's odd too. I had a conversation with a college classmate this week, he is a rabid college basketball fan but he asked some questions about son too - then brought up how 'crazy' some of the players act? Went on and on about how their scholarship is a 'gift' and I carefully explained to him how those scholarships are their only payment for their "full time job" and their ratio of earnings to what the university programs earn from the game are far from equitable. Those players who are high draft prospects are also preyed upon by those with much bad advice too, just look at Dez for example. How can we expect kids who often grew up in financially stressed and even poverty conditions, to understand how to manage their money either when we know their 'advisors' likely don't give a flip about it either?

I saw this tonight too, I worry everyday about the headaches son has and he wasn't a lineman but did pride himself on being able to go up after balls and take the hits across the middle. Anyway, this is a very sad commentary on the ultimate price that some NFL players pay.........so tragic.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/01/brain.concussion.dronett/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Ex-Falcons lineman had brain disease linked to concussions
By Stephanie Smith, CNN Medical Producer
April 1, 2011 11:48 a.m. EDT

Editor's Note: Dr. Sanjay Gupta gets a candid look at the mental deterioration of a former NFL player and the toll that chronic traumatic encephalopathy can take on a family on "Sanjay Gupta, M.D." at 7:30 a.m. ET Saturday and Sunday.

(CNN) -- Former NFL lineman Shane Dronett's transformation from an affable prankster, quick to flash a wry smile, to a person who was often frightened -- and frightening -- was subtle at first.

It began in 2006, with a bad dream.

"He woke up in the middle of the night and started screaming and told everyone to run out of the house," said Chris Dronett, Shane Dronett's wife. "He thought that someone was blowing up our house. It was very frightening."

Chris tried to dismiss the incident as isolated, except that two weeks later, there was another outburst, then another, until they were an almost-nightly occurrence. And as Shane's fear and paranoia began overwhelming him, so did episodes of confusion and rage that sometimes turned violent.

Only three years after retiring from the NFL in 2006, Shane was suffering. The tragic culmination of his pain came when he committed suicide in 2009 at 38. (read more at link above)

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1237 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »

That is one scary article.  Guess we know why the guy killed himself... can you imagine dealing with those demons? 
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1238 on: April 07, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »

None wow that's not too encouraging for kids and young adults that play contact sports requiring helmets. I've made the transition to a helmet while skiing. Trying to get teens to wear them is tough at least in AZ. At least the trend is to wear protective gear. Can't even imagine football without them. What would your son suggest for changes in improving protection for those playing football.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1239 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:55 AM »

Bean -- I can't imagine what he and his family went through, plus the stigma of so many not understanding the physical impacts he endured in the NFL, that many must have labeled him as "crazy". I can't remember his name but the other former NFL player that recently shot himself in the chest while also asking his brain be examined, was also found in the post mortem to have the same condition. What a price to pay.

Kiwi -- I don't think son has any answers, he has permanent dents in his forehead from his helmet but he unlike other players, insisted his helmet fit as tight as possible to guard against injury. I did notice and have since discussed with him, one occasion when he took what I call a sandwich hit from both sides in his last homecoming game. It was compounded by one of the two sandwiching him yanking his helmet halfway off and son dropped a good distance to the ground. He didn't lose the ball but when he stood up to run to the sideline I could tell something was wrong. A teammate 'ushered' him by the arm and sure enough, son was completely dazed by the impact. He also did not tell a soul or complain. I think another part of the problem is that as players, so many feel if they complain they will either be considered as 'soft' or lose playing time/opportunity.

I think it will take a major cultural shift for anything significant to happen to protect college or NFL players, but with winning all that seems to matter - I suspect it's unlikely much will change.

I noted this week that now Alabama is being accused of a top recruit/signee's family taking pay-out's from boosters. I didn't post it because I don't want to be part of this endless debate for the report I read was so bizarre that I just cannot believe it's true.

All I could think was here we go again..............

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.