March 29, 2024, 09:28:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama Announces Candicacy  (Read 6022 times)
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« on: February 11, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »

http://www.barackobama.com/2007/02/10/remarks_of_senator_barack_obam_11.php

Full Text of Senator Barack Obama's Announcement for President
      Springfield, IL | February 10, 2007

Let me begin by saying thanks to all you who've traveled, from far and wide, to brave the cold today.

We all made this journey for a reason. It's humbling, but in my heart I know you didn't come here just for me, you came here because you believe in what this country can be. In the face of war, you believe there can be peace. In the face of despair, you believe there can be hope. In the face of a politics that's shut you out, that's told you to settle, that's divided us for too long, you believe we can be one people, reaching for what's possible, building that more perfect union.

That's the journey we're on today. But let me tell you how I came to be here. As most of you know, I am not a native of this great state. I moved to Illinois over two decades ago. I was a young man then, just a year out of college; I knew no one in Chicago, was without money or family connections. But a group of churches had offered me a job as a community organizer for $13,000 a year. And I accepted the job, sight unseen, motivated then by a single, simple, powerful idea - that I might play a small part in building a better America.

My work took me to some of Chicago's poorest neighborhoods. I joined with pastors and lay-people to deal with communities that had been ravaged by plant closings. I saw that the problems people faced weren't simply local in nature - that the decision to close a steel mill was made by distant executives; that the lack of textbooks and computers in schools could be traced to the skewed priorities of politicians a thousand miles away; and that when a child turns to violence, there's a hole in his heart no government could ever fill.

It was in these neighborhoods that I received the best education I ever had, and where I learned the true meaning of my Christian faith.

After three years of this work, I went to law school, because I wanted to understand how the law should work for those in need. I became a civil rights lawyer, and taught constitutional law, and after a time, I came to understand that our cherished rights of liberty and equality depend on the active participation of an awakened electorate. It was with these ideas in mind that I arrived in this capital city as a state Senator.

It was here, in Springfield, where I saw all that is America converge - farmers and teachers, businessmen and laborers, all of them with a story to tell, all of them seeking a seat at the table, all of them clamoring to be heard. I made lasting friendships here - friends that I see in the audience today.

It was here we learned to disagree without being disagreeable - that it's possible to compromise so long as you know those principles that can never be compromised; and that so long as we're willing to listen to each other, we can assume the best in people instead of the worst.

That's why we were able to reform a death penalty system that was broken. That's why we were able to give health insurance to children in need. That's why we made the tax system more fair and just for working families, and that's why we passed ethics reforms that the cynics said could never, ever be passed.

It was here, in Springfield, where North, South, East and West come together that I was reminded of the essential decency of the American people - where I came to believe that through this decency, we can build a more hopeful America.

And that is why, in the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Lincoln once called on a divided house to stand together, where common hopes and common dreams still, I stand before you today to announce my candidacy for President of the United States.

I recognize there is a certain presumptuousness - a certain audacity - to this announcement. I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington. But I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change.

The genius of our founders is that they designed a system of government that can be changed. And we should take heart, because we've changed this country before. In the face of tyranny, a band of patriots brought an Empire to its knees. In the face of secession, we unified a nation and set the captives free. In the face of Depression, we put people back to work and lifted millions out of poverty. We welcomed immigrants to our shores, we opened railroads to the west, we landed a man on the moon, and we heard a King's call to let justice roll down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.

Each and every time, a new generation has risen up and done what's needed to be done. Today we are called once more - and it is time for our generation to answer that call.

For that is our unyielding faith - that in the face of impossible odds, people who love their country can change it.

That's what Abraham Lincoln understood. He had his doubts. He had his defeats. He had his setbacks. But through his will and his words, he moved a nation and helped free a people. It is because of the millions who rallied to his cause that we are no longer divided, North and South, slave and free. It is because men and women of every race, from every walk of life, continued to march for freedom long after Lincoln was laid to rest, that today we have the chance to face the challenges of this millennium together, as one people - as Americans.

All of us know what those challenges are today - a war with no end, a dependence on oil that threatens our future, schools where too many children aren't learning, and families struggling paycheck to paycheck despite working as hard as they can. We know the challenges. We've heard them. We've talked about them for years.

What's stopped us from meeting these challenges is not the absence of sound policies and sensible plans. What's stopped us is the failure of leadership, the smallness of our politics - the ease with which we're distracted by the petty and trivial, our chronic avoidance of tough decisions, our preference for scoring cheap political points instead of rolling up our sleeves and building a working consensus to tackle big problems.

For the last six years we've been told that our mounting debts don't matter, we've been told that the anxiety Americans feel about rising health care costs and stagnant wages are an illusion, we've been told that climate change is a hoax, and that tough talk and an ill-conceived war can replace diplomacy, and strategy, and foresight. And when all else fails, when Katrina happens, or the death toll in Iraq mounts, we've been told that our crises are somebody else's fault. We're distracted from our real failures, and told to blame the other party, or gay people, or immigrants.

And as people have looked away in disillusionment and frustration, we know what's filled the void. The cynics, and the lobbyists, and the special interests who've turned our government into a game only they can afford to play. They write the checks and you get stuck with the bills, they get the access while you get to write a letter, they think they own this government, but we're here today to take it back. The time for that politics is over. It's time to turn the page.

We've made some progress already. I was proud to help lead the fight in Congress that led to the most sweeping ethics reform since Watergate.

But Washington has a long way to go. And it won't be easy. That's why we'll have to set priorities. We'll have to make hard choices. And although government will play a crucial role in bringing about the changes we need, more money and programs alone will not get us where we need to go. Each of us, in our own lives, will have to accept responsibility - for instilling an ethic of achievement in our children, for adapting to a more competitive economy, for strengthening our communities, and sharing some measure of sacrifice. So let us begin. Let us begin this hard work together. Let us transform this nation.

Let us be the generation that reshapes our economy to compete in the digital age. Let's set high standards for our schools and give them the resources they need to succeed. Let's recruit a new army of teachers, and give them better pay and more support in exchange for more accountability. Let's make college more affordable, and let's invest in scientific research, and let's lay down broadband lines through the heart of inner cities and rural towns all across America.

And as our economy changes, let's be the generation that ensures our nation's workers are sharing in our prosperity. Let's protect the hard-earned benefits their companies have promised. Let's make it possible for hardworking Americans to save for retirement. And let's allow our unions and their organizers to lift up this country's middle-class again.

Let's be the generation that ends poverty in America. Every single person willing to work should be able to get job training that leads to a job, and earn a living wage that can pay the bills, and afford child care so their kids have a safe place to go when they work. Let's do this.

Let's be the generation that finally tackles our health care crisis. We can control costs by focusing on prevention, by providing better treatment to the chronically ill, and using technology to cut the bureaucracy. Let's be the generation that says right here, right now, that we will have universal health care in America by the end of the next president's first term.

Let's be the generation that finally frees America from the tyranny of oil. We can harness homegrown, alternative fuels like ethanol and spur the production of more fuel-efficient cars. We can set up a system for capping greenhouse gases. We can turn this crisis of global warming into a moment of opportunity for innovation, and job creation, and an incentive for businesses that will serve as a model for the world. Let's be the generation that makes future generations proud of what we did here.

Most of all, let's be the generation that never forgets what happened on that September day and confront the terrorists with everything we've got. Politics doesn't have to divide us on this anymore - we can work together to keep our country safe. I've worked with Republican Senator Dick Lugar to pass a law that will secure and destroy some of the world's deadliest, unguarded weapons. We can work together to track terrorists down with a stronger military, we can tighten the net around their finances, and we can improve our intelligence capabilities. But let us also understand that ultimate victory against our enemies will come only by rebuilding our alliances and exporting those ideals that bring hope and opportunity to millions around the globe.

But all of this cannot come to pass until we bring an end to this war in Iraq. Most of you know I opposed this war from the start. I thought it was a tragic mistake. Today we grieve for the families who have lost loved ones, the hearts that have been broken, and the young lives that could have been. America, it's time to start bringing our troops home. It's time to admit that no amount of American lives can resolve the political disagreement that lies at the heart of someone else's civil war. That's why I have a plan that will bring our combat troops home by March of 2008. Letting the Iraqis know that we will not be there forever is our last, best hope to pressure the Sunni and Shia to come to the table and find peace.

Finally, there is one other thing that is not too late to get right about this war - and that is the homecoming of the men and women - our veterans - who have sacrificed the most. Let us honor their valor by providing the care they need and rebuilding the military they love. Let us be the generation that begins this work.

I know there are those who don't believe we can do all these things. I understand the skepticism. After all, every four years, candidates from both parties make similar promises, and I expect this year will be no different. All of us running for president will travel around the country offering ten-point plans and making grand speeches; all of us will trumpet those qualities we believe make us uniquely qualified to lead the country. But too many times, after the election is over, and the confetti is swept away, all those promises fade from memory, and the lobbyists and the special interests move in, and people turn away, disappointed as before, left to struggle on their own.

That is why this campaign can't only be about me. It must be about us - it must be about what we can do together. This campaign must be the occasion, the vehicle, of your hopes, and your dreams. It will take your time, your energy, and your advice - to push us forward when we're doing right, and to let us know when we're not. This campaign has to be about reclaiming the meaning of citizenship, restoring our sense of common purpose, and realizing that few obstacles can withstand the power of millions of voices calling for change.

By ourselves, this change will not happen. Divided, we are bound to fail.

But the life of a tall, gangly, self-made Springfield lawyer tells us that a different future is possible.

He tells us that there is power in words.

He tells us that there is power in conviction.

That beneath all the differences of race and region, faith and station, we are one people.

He tells us that there is power in hope.

As Lincoln organized the forces arrayed against slavery, he was heard to say: "Of strange, discordant, and even hostile elements, we gathered from the four winds, and formed and fought to battle through."

That is our purpose here today.

That's why I'm in this race.

Not just to hold an office, but to gather with you to transform a nation.

I want to win that next battle - for justice and opportunity.

I want to win that next battle - for better schools, and better jobs, and health care for all.

I want us to take up the unfinished business of perfecting our union, and building a better America.

And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching before us; if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe past and future generations, then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with you. Together, starting today, let us finish the work that needs to be done, and usher in a new birth of freedom on this Earth.

Paid for by Obama for America

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:41:08 PM »

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

Senator Obama has been able to develop innovative approaches to challenge the status quo and get results. Americans are tired of divisive ideological politics, which is why Senator Obama has reached out to Republicans to find areas of common ground. He has tried to break partisan logjams and take on seemingly intractable problems. During his tenure in Washington and in the Illinois State Senate, Barack Obama has accumulated a record of bipartisan success.

Strengthening America Overseas

As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Senator Obama has fought to strengthen America's position in the world. Reaching across the aisle, Obama has tackled problems such as preventing the spread of weapons of mass destruction and stopping the genocide in Darfur.

Plan to End the Iraq War

Before the war in Iraq ever started, Senator Obama said that it was wrong in its conception. In 2002, then Illinois State Senator Obama said Saddam Hussein posed no imminent threat to the United States and that invasion would lead to an occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. Since then, Senator Obama has laid out a plan on the way forward in Iraq that was largely been affirmed by the bipartisan Iraq Study Group led by James Baker and Lee Hamilton.

Cleaning Up Washington's Culture of Corruption

Throughout his political career, Barack Obama has been a leader in fighting for open and honest government. As a U.S. Senator, he has spearheaded the effort to clean up Washington in the wake of the Jack Abramoff scandal. In a politically charged election year, Obama acknowledged that corruption was a problem that plagued both political parties. He subsequently enlisted the help of Republican allies to limit lobbyist influence, shine sunlight into the earmarks process and promote open government.

Meeting America's Energy Needs

Senator Obama has been a leader in the Senate in pushing for a comprehensive national energy policy and has introduced a number of bills to get us closer to the goal of energy independence. By putting aside partisan battles, he has found common ground on CAFE, renewable fuels, and clean coal.

Honoring Our Veterans

As a member of the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, Senator Obama is committed to helping the heroes who defend our nation today and the veterans who fought in years past. A grandson of a World War II veteran who went to college on the G.I. Bill, Senator Obama has reached out to Republicans and Democrats in order to honor our commitment to America's veterans.

Improving Our Schools

We are failing too many of our children in public schools. Right now, six million middle and high school students read at levels significantly below their grade level. Unfortunately, the debate in Washington has been narrowed: either we need to pour more money into the system, or we need to reform it with more tests and standards. Senator Obama has worked on bills that cut through this false choice and recognize that good schools will require both structural reform and resources.

Creating a Healthcare System that Works

The United States is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, yet more than 46 million Americans have no health insurance. Too many hard-working Americans cannot afford their medical bills, and health-related issues are the number one cause for personal bankruptcy. Promoting affordable, accessible, and high-quality health care is a priority for Senator Obama.

Protecting Our Homeland

Five years after 9/11, our country is still unprepared for a terrorist attack. From improving security for our transit systems and chemical plants, to increasing cargo screening in our airports and seaports, the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission have been underfunded and ignored. The 9/11 Commission gave the government five F's and 12 D's on the implementation of its recommendations. Senator Obama has supported efforts to base homeland security spending on risk rather than pork-barrel politics. He has also introduced legislation to strength chemical plant and drinking water security and to enhance disaster preparedness.

Strengthening Families and Communities

Strong families raise successful children and keep communities together. While Senator Obama does not believe that we can simply legislate healthy families, good parenting skills or economic success, he does believe we can eliminate roadblocks that parents face and provide tools to help them succeed. A husband and father of two, Senator Obama has promoted strong families in the Senate.

Protecting the Right to Vote

There is no more fundamental American right than the right to vote. Before the landmark 1965 Voting Rights Act, barriers such as literacy tests, poll taxes and property requirements disenfranchised many Americans, especially minorities. More than 40 years later, there are still numerous obstacles to ensuring that every citizen has the ability to vote.

Reconciling Faith and Politics

In June of 2006, Senator Obama delivered what was called the most important speech on religion and politics in 40 years. Speaking before an evangelical audience, Senator Obama candidly discussed his own religious conversion and doubts, and the need for a deeper, more substantive discussion about the role of faith in American life.

Paid for by Obama for America

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:38:54 AM »

Justins, you and I are backing the same horse. It does not matter if anyone agrees with us or not.

Obama's statement: "I recognize there is a certain presumptuousness - a certain audacity - to this announcement. I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington. But I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change. " What a simply brilliant statement.

Didn't the voters just recently vote for a change?

I thought the speech was more than brilliant. He touches upon important human issues that have been dead for more than 40 years (the Kennedy years). Hope, dreams, energy, overcoming obstacles and more.

He addresses many important issues. Further, he said, "This campaign can't only be about me. It must be about us - it must be about what we can do together. This campaign must be the occasion, the vehicle, of your hopes, and your dreams. It will take your time, your energy, and your advice - to push us forward when we're doing right, and to let us know when we're not. This campaign has to be about reclaiming the meaning of citizenship, restoring our sense of common purpose, and realizing that few obstacles can withstand the power of millions of voices calling for change. By ourselves, this change will not happen. Divided, we are bound to fail."

In my opinion, in terms of like ability and charisma, Obama stands next to JFK and Clinton43. I don't know how to articulate why I so strongly feel that Obama is here for a specific reason. He is an Indigo or Crystal child of the new age and the highest goal of all Indigo/Crytals to help elevate the world to a higher dimension.

Regarding race and religion, we have to come to terms with it. JFK was the first Catholic. I don't remember hearing one negative word about Joe Lieberman being Jewish.  Now we are hearing negative things about Obama because he is black. And we hear his church is TOO black oriented. What a bunch of bs. So what. Isn't any church in a black community dedicated to raising the souls of the black congregation?  

Obama is here for a reason.

G'night, Justins

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »

Louise~ For the first time in many years, I am becoming very excited about a candidate. That candidate is Obama. If he is the type of person whom I believe he is, then we need him to help us reunite as a nation.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »

Justins and LV -

I hope to hell you two are right, but I sincerely doubt it.  I am not in favor of Obama based only on his race, the Church he attends or even whether or not he is Muslim.  Although - be it reactionary or not, I do not think a Muslim needs to be in our White House. NOT when the Muslim "religion of peace" so firmly espouses death to all infidels.

The larger problem I see with Obama is lack of experience.  He has only been a Senator for two years.. and I am going to entrust my life and liberty to that? No thanks.  I don't think being a Sentor for a couple of years prepares one to be President... and I don't think Obama can change anything in Washington. Hell, I don't think that change in Washington is even possible....

everyone blames Bush for the cutting of funds, the War, this that and everyother thing that is wrong in their lives.... but the fact of the matter is that the President can not cut funding alone or even go to war...

It's way to convenient how the media likes to act like everything from the coffee I spilled on my shirt during my drive to work to WWII is Bush's fault...

I am glad that you two have found your candidate... but explain to me how he is qualified to lead this Country based on what he has done.... what legislation bears his name?  what does he think about how to fix the problems???

Or is he just like everyone else without a plan that just loves to bitch???

I am completely excited about Rudy Gulliani and I will tell you it's because of all of the candiates, he gets what is at stake with the terrorists.... he gets it that we have to keep fighting the very thing that wants us all to die... and I think he is serious minded enough to handle the job.....

I don't particulary care for his abortion stance but if the damn politicians were honest they would tell you that abortion isn't even on the table, it is so hard to get law overturned... and imo, unfortunately that isn't one that is going to be touched. As for things like gay marriage - the very vocal liberal faction that speaks and feels like Rosie O Donnell had really better hope that the terrorists are contained and not here... does she not know that homosexulaity is a punishable by death offense in that "religion of peace"?

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »

Ah, but there in lies the draw of Obama (for me)~ he does not bitch, point fingers and bemoan our fate. He attempts to unite us and offers solutions. He is a problem solver. Read at his sites.

And I,too, hope to hell that LV and I are right, especially if he is elected.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »

Well it really troubles me that you say read at his sites I have. I don't see a plan there.... how does one unite exactly?  

Also how is he going to unite us with other countries when Australia's Prime Minister has stated what he did?  I agree completely with Mr. Howard btw.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
Well it really troubles me that you say read at his sites I have. I don't see a plan there.... how does one unite exactly?  

Also how is he going to unite us with other countries when Australia's Prime Minister has stated what he did?  I agree completely with Mr. Howard btw.

self edit, I hit submit too soon... and then the way Obama answered Mr. Howard's concerns did in NO WAY sound like a uniter.... he sounded like a petulant kid...

I hope New Hampshire swings for Obama... they haven't picked a winner in over 40+ years.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 05:12:17 PM »

One last thing...

how is he qualified to lead the military?  Don't say about serving because Clinton who y'all like didn't serve.... How does he support the troops and don't say he will immediately withdraw because that isn't support...

what important legislation has he sponsered?  

How will he deal with Iran and N. Korea?  talks???? oh yeah that works - since Carter's talks with Kim Jon Il.... well we see where that got us....

I don't want to hear poliltical spin..... espeically when he puts himself in Lincoln's steadfast to announce his candiacy... because Lincoln was a REPUBLICAN.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »

Mrs. ~ Do you have a link at which I may read about the specific concerns you have over Australia and Obama?

Lincoln was our greatest president with Clinton a close second), IMO. His party affiliation has no meaning to me.

Having been in the military qualifies no one to be president.

I am offering no political spin in regard to any candidate.

Honestly, I am perplexed by the offense against Obama.

Each will determine foir themselves for whom to cast their vote.

Obama's statement:

Floor Statement on Iraq War De-escalation Act of 2007
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Printable Format

Mr. President, today in Iraq, we sadly find ourselves at the very point I feared most when I opposed giving the President the open-ended authority to wage this war in 2002 - an occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences in the midst of a country torn by civil war.

The American people have waited and the American people have been patient. We have given chance after chance for a resolution that has not come, and, more importantly, watched with horror and grief the tragic loss of thousands of brave young American soldiers.

The time for waiting in Iraq is over. The days of our open-ended commitment must come to a close. And the need to bring this war to an end is here.

That is why today, I'm introducing the Iraq War De-escalation Act of 2007.

This plan would not only place a cap on the number of troops in Iraq and stop the escalation, more importantly, it would begin a phased redeployment of U.S. forces with the goal of removing of all U.S. combat forces from Iraq by March 31st, 2008 - consistent with the expectations of the bipartisan Iraq study group that the President has so assiduously ignored.

The redeployment of troops to the United States, Afghanistan, and elsewhere in the region would begin no later than May 1st of this year, toward the end of the timeframe I first proposed in a speech more than two months ago. In a civil war where no military solution exists, this redeployment remains our best leverage to pressure the Iraqi government to achieve the political settlement between its warring factions that can slow the bloodshed and promote stability.

My plan allows for a limited number of U.S. troops to remain as basic force protection, to engage in counter-terrorism, and to continue the training of Iraqi security forces.

And if the Iraqis are successful in meeting the thirteen benchmarks for progress laid out by the Bush Administration itself, this plan also allows for the temporary suspension of the redeployment, provided Congress agrees that the benchmarks have actually been met and that the suspension is in the national security interest of the United States.

The U.S. military has performed valiantly and brilliantly in Iraq. Our troops have done all that we have asked them to do and more. But no amount of American soldiers can solve the political differences at the heart of somebody else's civil war, nor settle the grievances in the hearts of the combatants.

It is my firm belief that the responsible course of action - for the United States, for Iraq, and for our troops - is to oppose this reckless escalation and to pursue a new policy. This policy that I've laid out is consistent with what I have advocated for well over a year, with many of the recommendations of the bipartisan Iraq Study Group, and with what the American people demanded in the November election.

When it comes to the war in Iraq, the time for promises and assurances, for waiting and patience, is over. Too many lives have been lost and too many billions have been spent for us to trust the President on another tried and failed policy opposed by generals and experts, Democrats and Republicans, Americans and many of the Iraqis themselves.

It is time for us to fundamentally change our policy.

It is time to give Iraqis their country back.

And it is time to refocus America's efforts on the challenges we face at home and the wider struggle against terror yet to be won.

Home | About Sen. Obama | Latest News | Constituent Services
Upcoming Events | Photo Gallery | Visiting D.C. | Email Newsletter
Privacy Policy | Contact Information

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »

Justins...

The Prime Minister of Australia said over the weekend that the terrorists were praying for any Democrat but in particular Obama to win the Presidency so that they could take us down.  I have parapharased what he said... in answer Obama just said that the PM had no idea of what he speaks, that there weren't Austrialian troops in harm's way....

Also, I find it extremely troubling that the DNC opened their winter meeting with a prayer invocation from an IMAM....

so everyone has complained bitterly about Bush and his religion... but this is ok?  How is that separation of Church and State?

You said with Bush your worst fears were confirmed?  I don't get that at all... we have the lowest interest rates in years, an ecomony producing jobs, and low unemployment.  Although there are several issues I think that Bush is wrong on, I don't think he is tough enough on illegal aliens for example, I don't see that his Presidency has done anything to harm us.  The media would have us believe that it is Bush's fault that the world doesn't love us, but guess what?  They hated us under Clinton too.... and all of the corporate scandals  - those were happening pre Bush...

TYCO< ENRON< etc... all before Bush was elected...

so other than the war, which unfortunately we had to do.... if we had just "stayed the course" Sadam would still be killing the Kurds and the Sunni's and we would just be la la la.... didn't you notice that once Sadam was run underground Hamas's bombing of Isreal slowed?  that it wasn't as prevalent in the news? Could it be that funding dried up?

these are the things that I see that frighten me... and I notice that the media just blew by the fact that the US Embassy in Greece was bombed recently.... and we are seeing the pre 9-11 steps in my opinion....

look at all the sleeper cells that have been apprehended.... they didn't (regardless of how the media wants to protray it) just happen under Bush, they have been here for a long time....

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 12:09:10 AM »

Mrs. Red,

Why are you so angry and what personal steps can I take to diffuse your anger.

With love,
Louise

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 12:14:20 AM »

Louise  Shocked

She's not angry, she's asking important and key questions.

Why are you so threatened by that?

I continue to stand with the girl.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 12:18:48 AM »

Where does it say I am threatened regarding Mrs. Red asking important and key questions.

And how did you become so rude?

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 12:21:42 AM »

IMO you are confusing "rude" with anyone who dares to disagree with you.

there is a difference Louise, truly there is.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 12:24:51 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Mrs. Red,

With love,
Louise

Louise,

FYI this post was patronizing. So is telling me I haven't walked in your shoes or never suffered such loss as you have?

You need to get some of this in perspective, Obama isn't the second coming, nor is he a crystal child. He is a political candidate that isn't going to save the world anymore than any single human can, even the greatest of human leaders.

I worry how you have romanticized him into an icon.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 01:02:26 AM »

STOP!!

Political debate is fine but NOT attacking the poster.  I'm really not sure that's possible though as most Democrats and Republicans will never agree.  Please think before you post and make every attempt to keep this topic civil.

I will say this.  PEOPLE WANT A CHANGE.  Many are tired war and our boys getting killed.  Many are tired of the world hating us.  I personally need to learn more about all the candidates, both Democrat and Republican before I make my own decision who I will vote for.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 11:25:20 AM »

In my view only, it is much, much too early to be deciding on candidates. Some of the candidates are not viable for the long haul and will drop out.  Time and intense scrutiny will allow much to be revealed about the candidates that remain in the race.  And, Anna made an excellent point about looking at the platform as well as the individual.  JMO . . . .
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 02:43:09 PM »

very well said A's

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 04:13:48 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Mrs. Red,

With love,
Louise

I am not angry... I am asking questions based on what I see and read regarding the news...  

as for personal steps you can take... well please begin by addressing my questions and stop attacking me, None and anyone else that doesn't agree with you.  

I have said each and every time why I am upset or annoyed... and then I have moved on to what I think is important dialouge... I don't get why you think I am angry because I am concerned over a MUSLIM CLERIC THAT SPOUTS ANTI AMERICAN RETORIC OPENING THE DNC MEETING>>>>

or THAT OTHER COUNTRIES ARE WEIGHING IN WITH QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS>...

those things in all caps are the questions I want answered.

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.