March 29, 2024, 04:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama & The Financial Burdens of Refugees  (Read 1502 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 31, 2010, 05:08:02 AM »

Sri Lankan Tamils in need of protection should not have to hide out for days in Bangkok safe houses, and pay $50,000 to smugglers to board a dilapidated fishing trawler to Canada.

If Ottawa wants to stop these boatloads of human cargo, the government should spearhead international pressure on countries such as Thailand, Indonesia and India to sign the 1951 UN Convention on Refugees. Then Sri Lankans fleeing persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a social group could seek a safe haven in these neighbouring countries, which currently lack a legislative framework for refugee protection.

In the past, many Asian countries have argued that signing the convention would place an undue financial burden on them, and that the convention is not designed for mass migrations.

What about the millions that pour over the border into the US?  Isn't that a financial burden on taxpayers?

more here - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/imagine-theres-no-havens/article1690667/

Where do Americans go who are persecuted in this country by the Obama administration due to opinion and membership in social groups?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:16:29 AM »

There is a simplicity to the lifestyle, Hassan said, the repetition of getting up every morning and driving 20 miles to the dairy, coming home to shower and eat and then going to bed. But he misses living in a city, hearing conversations in English.

"Here, it's all in Spanish," Hassan said.

He lives in a modest apartment with blank white walls. He shares a bedroom with another worker, watches a small television that sits on the floor.

The International Rescue Committee has gone to great lengths to facilitate the refugees' presence at the dairy, securing housing and transportation them.

Even so, there was initial backlash to their presence in Oregon. Threemile Canyon Farms was asked why the dairy was taking on refugee employees when the Portland unemployment rate had climbed into the double digits, said human resources manager Rose Corral. She said she told critics they should apply for the jobs if they didn't want refugees to take them.

"We were happy to get anybody that would come and apply and we just didn't get people," Corral said.

As the new group of workers settled in for their first night in Boardman, Whiteford made plans to pick them up the next morning for their first day of work.

Shiwakoti took off his new shoes and played music while his father sat on the kitchen floor skinning a chicken they'd eat for dinner. The men were tired but appeared to be in good spirits.

The Shiwakoti family had lived in a refugee camp for 18 years. Even when he boarded the plane to the United States, Shiwakoti said, the vastness of the journey didn't hit home for him.

"I'm just thinking, this is my dream," Shiwakoti said. "I'm living my dream."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia8lm7v5Is102YtAxjPKGqDHZL_gD9HJGIFO0

I wonder if they advertised in the paper or on Craigslist for folks in Portland?  Is there a bias against American workers?  An unwillingness on the part of American workers to consider a farm job?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:37:17 AM »

Looks like the tamil has more rights than my Canadian wife who suffers MS and doesn't receive any help from the government and who has to wait months for any kind of treatment.

The government and the court should protect first the people living here and after that help other, also I don't think they are refugees, if they were they should have gone to India or stay in Australia and not risk a long trip on the sea.
Politicians don't have the guts to defend us if that mean look bad to a ethnic group.
Read more: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/08/17/james-morton-canadas-choice-on-refugees-is-no-choice-at-all/#ixzz0yAthLxrF

This is from a Canadian site.  Doesn't Canada have socialized medicine?  Why isn't this lady, a citizen getting treatment?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:39:48 AM »

Unreasonable

3:02 PM on August 17, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Unreasonable. Show DetailsHide Details

Perhaps it's time to change the charter so it only applies to everyone who's in Canada legally.

On Balance

3:29 PM on August 17, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore On Balance. Show DetailsHide Details

It is time to send the lot of activist Supreme Court justices into early retirement, better still, banishment!

SteppeUp

4:03 PM on August 17, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore SteppeUp. Show DetailsHide Details

70% of the supposed refugees on this ship are single adult males. All are well fed and in mostly good health. Amazing when you think of how they are so poor from such a poor desperate country and have been aboard that ship for over three months.
Do you really think they are all poor refugees? Give me a break, and don't be so stupid.

Read more: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/08/17/james-morton-canadas-choice-on-refugees-is-no-choice-at-all/#ixzz0yAuUtm9E

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.