March 28, 2024, 12:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lessons in parenting could hold answer for schools"  (Read 1467 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: September 06, 2010, 11:30:08 AM »

Problems stack up for P7 pupils

A new council report reveals the problems being faced by all but three children in a 24-pupil P7 class in a typical primary school in one deprived area of Glasgow.

1 Comprehension difficulties

2 Recent death of mother

3 Death of father

4 Communication difficulties

5 Family drug abuse

6 Difficult relationship with mother after her re-marriage

7 English not first language

8 Problems caused by adoption

9 Family drug abuse leading to poor attendance

10 Parent split

11 Nightmares following assault by brother

12 Difficulties with English language

13 Difficulties with English language

14 Recent death of sister

15 Mother in rehab following drug abuse

16 Moved in with grandmother after assault by mother

17 Attempted suicide by alcoholic mother

18 Comprehension difficulties

19 English not first langauge

20 Domestic violence leading to poor attendance

21 Difficulties with English

22 No issues

23 No issues

24 No issues

More here - http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/lessons-in-parenting-could-hold-answer-for-schools-1.1053060

I wonder how many children is struggling schools in the US have problems like this?

I wonder how many struggling teachers have textbooks that aren't up to the task of educating our children?

Why aren't textbooks results oriented? 

I've known quite a few that question the 'learning' that fills the school day.  The growing gap between test scores, real life preparedness, and the technology society is widening, my opinion.

Is it always teachers?   Why doesn't Obama address parents and home life in all his speeches?

Maybe we need to RESET eduction in this country from the bottom up!  Start with the textbooks and find books that really challenge students and teachers.

http://www.homeschool.com/

Lots of quality choices for home schoolers, why not for local districts?  Local parents?

Why family challenges do failing students in the US face?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »

Scandal of social deprivation in schools

Published on 5 Sep 2010

There is an important lesson to be learned in the figures revealed yesterday by Glasgow City Council’s report on the level of deprivation in some of their schools.

The scale and depth of the problem in one of the primaries is profoundly shocking: of the 24 pupils in one class, only three had not experienced at least one of a range of serious problems including family drug abuse, communication difficulties and assault by a relative. We know – because teachers have been telling us about it for a long time – what happens when these issues lurk in a classroom: the children become insecure and hard to teach and disruption becomes the order of the day. In such an environment, it is hard – if not impossible – for the children to learn anything at all.

more here - http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/scandal-of-social-deprivation-in-schools-1.1053023

We have a nation in which government seems to want to legalize all kinds of recreational drugs.  Obamacare seems to provide endless treatment at taxpayer expense.

We seem to have an endless cycle of poverty, drug abuse, and hopelessness in this nation, all financed by taxpayers.

What will it take to turn this ship around?

Why work when government pays you to stay home, abuse drugs, and neglect your children?  Any chance you'll lose your children and welfare check?

Children locked in an endless cycle of foster homes and hopelessness.

What happened to Mr. Obama's wasted children?

Does more money always help?  Or, does more money help to waste away the lives of future generations?

What about the moral deprivation in Washington?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.