April 24, 2024, 05:10:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: search areas  (Read 19282 times)
sackyattack
Scared Monkey

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »

leads
http://www.katu.com/news/local/97705124.html
Story Published: Jul 2, 2010 at 4:23 PM PDT
Story Updated: Jul 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM PDT

Even though it’s been a month since Kyron disappeared from Skyline School and there’s been no sign of him, Staton said the investigation hasn’t stalled.

“As I said earlier, we have 2,877 leads,” he said. “We have developed and/or closed doors in areas that would have taken us months to get to.”

He said all of those leads are valid and 60 percent of them have been checked out. Additionally, 20 detectives from various agencies, including the FBI, are working on the case 24 hours a day.

Staton confirmed that the searches conducted on Sauvie Island were based on tips and leads that investigators have received, and he said other areas have been searched as well.

when you're going through hell, just keep going
sackyattack
Scared Monkey

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »

September 16, 2010

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=8508.440
Reply #446 on: September 15, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
"He emphasized that they were not scaling back or moving to a cold-case type investigation. The FBI would remain active, along with Port of Portland Police, Portland Police, Fairview and Troutdale departments. Staton added that Multnomah County would play about a 30 percent role."

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=8508.460
Reply #461 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:39 PM

This article says:

"He has spoken with Portland Police, the Port of Portland and expects to draw on the FBI as well as agencies in the East Multnomah County Major Crimes Team, which includes Gresham, Troutdale and Fairview. Staton said he hopes to finalize the task force in the next week."

So I added Gresham to the map:

sackyattack
Scared Monkey

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »

agency's involved

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=8508.new#top
Reply #485 on: September 16, 2010, 01:56:22 AM
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Portland_%28Oregon%29The port of Portland is defined as

Definitions of Port of Portland on the Web:

* The Port of Portland is the port district responsible for overseeing Portland International Airport, general aviation, and marine activities in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area in the United States

Living in the area, I tend to think of "The Port of Portland" as a generic term for the Portland metro area. (This is from a local's point of view and is not the true definition, I realize.)

Portland is "river city". The Willamette River divides the city east and west. The Columbia River, at the extreme north end of Portland, divides Oregon and Washington.

The Portland airport (PDX) on the Columbia near Marine Drive, lies roughly between Sauvie Island to the northwest and Fairview and Troutdale to the east. Fairview and Troutdale both are near the Columbia. They are what I would consider the gateway to the vast Columbia River gorge.

Sauvie Island is hard to figure out on the map. I don't think it's really clearly marked. It's huge. On the map, below, the island is just east of Skyline Elementary. You will see something marked "Riverview" on the map? That is actually on the island.

Sauvie island is formed as the Willamette runs north, dividing Portland in half, then turning west it banks the massive Forest Park (one of the largest green spaces in the nation, I believe). Finally it splits off, just east of Kyron's school. Sauvie island is nested in that that "Y" in the river. The murky Multnomah Channel (visibility=5 INCHES) borders the island to the west while the Willamette jogs on up and ends by dumping into the Columbia. The Columbia forms the eastern border of the island.

The investigation on the island took place mostly off of NW Mill Road, on Sauvie Island, on and around some houseboats there. Looking at the map, this is just off St. Helens Road/Highway 30. It's very near the southern tip of the island.

Thanks for the map, Brandi!

sackyattack
Scared Monkey

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »

fairview
Fairview
http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/09/09/kyron-horman-missing-case-review-and-birthday-wishes-to-the-frog-prince/comment-page-12/#comments

MockingbirdSings says:
September 16, 2010 at 1:03 am
I, too, watched the press conference today. The question was asked about which agencies might be a part of the 8 or 10 on the Task Force. The sheriff said he hadn’t prepared the information yet and the details had not been worked out, but he expected to include MCSO, Portland Police, FBI, Fairview Police, Port of Portland Police, and Troutdale Police. Someone asked if there would be a Southern Oregon component to the Task Force and he said “yes”.
He also said there wouldn’t have been a press conference yet if he hadn’t said “Task Force” at a morning meeting and felt he had to follow up. I know he regretted that it came out before he had been able to tell the family.
I was surprised the sheriff mentioned Fairview and Troutdale which are a long way from the Horman house. Most of the reports about searches and events have been in a totally different part of the metropolitan area. He said they wanted to continue with people who had been involved with the investigation from the beginning and not add anyone new.
Earlier in the investigation, I was thinking of the Port of Portland Police involvement as tracking “water routes, boats, shipping and ships”, but I am now thinking of small planes since there is an airport in Troutdale, and another in Hillsboro (just to the south of Beaverton). Fairview (the city) is close to Troutdale. The Port of Portland manages the Hillsboro and Troutdale airports which have a lot of private plane traffic. Mulino Airport, also on the Port’s website, is about 20 miles south of Portland. There are many more small airports in Oregon as well as the Medford area, Eugene, and Bend airports. (Security is supposed to be stricter at small airports since there was talk a few years ago about terrorists possibly wanting to use small planes, but someone who is a regular tenant/user there probably would not have any problem coming and going.)
http://www.portofportland.com/POP_Home.aspx?ep=7d2acf4cd5204a27a999e9dc869f9555
Fairview is a little over 3 square miles, and has about 13 or 14 police officers.
Troutdale is about 5 square miles and has 24 police officers. To me, that’s a rather small area to contribute 2 people to the Task Force unless there is something very specific to deal with there. Milwaukie is 5 square miles and we have more (and really great) police officers than either of those cities, so it isn’t just a matter of spreading the cost around where a detective is available to participate.
http://www.ci.troutdale.or.us/police/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troutdale,_Oregon (quote below)
The Troutdale Airport serves as a base for scenic aerial tours of the Columbia River Gorge. In addition to the Gorge, the town is home to over a dozen parks. It is also the location of one of the most notable locations of the local McMenamins chain, the 38 acre Edgefield.
Troutdale also has a variety of factory outlet stores, a historic downtown district, and an expansive truck stop row all within walking distance of each other. The presence of truck stops makes traveler information available almost 24 hours a day on C B Channel 19.
———————–
There is a lot of meth around Clackamas County and east Multnomah County (Gresham, Troutdale, Fairview areas) including the gang related transport of drugs and crime that go with that. When Oregon restricted access to OTC meth ingredients a few years ago, it greatly reduced the number of meth houses, but purer meth from Mexico quickly filled the gap in the market. It isn’t as obvious as a house blowing up every few weeks or so, but the results are there. I’m sure meth is not the only drug being transported.
There are many isolated places in eastern Oregon and beyond, and in Northern California. If Kyron were transported somewhere else, it certainly would not have to be out of the US. The choices for heading away from Portland include but are not limited to:
- car in any direction, truck in any direction – but both would be inspected for prohibited plants and fruits at the border of California and by customs in Canada.
- small airplane – I believe small planes are encouraged to file a flight plan, but may not always have to.
- train and bus – highly unlikely, too visible
- private boat to many possible places between Portland and the coast or going east upriver, depending on the size and type of boat
- container ship – if there is a way around inspections (I’m sure there is)
- combination – car to small plane to car or truck, for example, to get across state lines or past check points
The sheriff said all resources would still be available if needed, but they will target certain leads they have now using the appropriate agencies. The final list of who’s on this Task Force will have a lot of people speculating on what that means in regard to the target(s) of the investigation

sackyattack
Scared Monkey

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »

Involved depts.
http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/09/09/kyron-horman-missing-case-review-and-birthday-wishes-to-the-frog-prince/#comments

@riverpearl says:
September 16, 2010 at 11:11 am
“Q:Can we have the list of law enforcement agencies that have assisted in the Kyron Horman investigation?
A:Gresham Police, Fairview Police, Troutdale Police, Portland Police, Port of Portland Police, Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office, Clackamas County DA MCT, Multnomah County DA’s investigators, Washington County District Attorney’s Office, Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Gladstone Police, Oregon City Police, Milwaukie Police, Canby Police, Lake Oswego Police, West Linn Police, Vancouver Police, Hillsboro Police, Beaverton Police, FBI, DEA, ICE, Secret Service, DOD Defense Criminal Investigative Services, Oregon DOJ, Oregon State Police.”
riverpearl, thanks for posting this. We can compare it to the updated list from yesterday:
FBI, Port of Portland Police, Portland Police, Fairview and Troutdale departments. Staton added that Multnomah County would play about a 30 percent role. Also, in Southern Oregon, Roseburg Police.
The sheriff said that they have narrowed their focus and there are things that they once suspected but now longer suspect. Applying this statement to the current list of involved agencies, they have apparently eliminated Clackamas and Washington counties or have finished gathering evidence there. It seems to me that the dedicated researchers on BOC have found many connections to those counties, as well as Marion county, which are not being considered by LE. If there are mystery person(s) involved here they must be doing business in East County.
Staton said he wished he could let us know what he knows. When I heard the above, I wondered about the names of people who have been mentioned as connected with this case. I would imagine if these people have been ruled out as participants, they would appreciate their names being cleared

sackyattack
Scared Monkey

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »

troutdale fairview

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/09/09/kyron-horman-missing-case-review-and-birthday-wishes-to-the-frog-prince/comment-page-12/#comments
Emmy says:
September 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm
Something that I found interesting from the press conference were the LE agencies that Sheriff Staton mentioned that he hoped would assist in the task force. I know there are many LE agencies involved, but the three (besides FBI) that he singled out when asked were Troutdale, Fairview and the Port. This is the first mention I’ve seen of this part of the Portland area. For those that are not local, these two towns are located East/NE of Portland (still in Mult Cty. and often referred to as “east county”) All info posted on here so far related to LS (Woodburn, Canby, Wilsonville) has been centered more in areas South of Portland-not near Troutdale or Fairview at all.
Curious as to what is going on out there in east county.

MockingbirdSings says:
September 16, 2010 at 1:03 am
I, too, watched the press conference today. The question was asked about which agencies might be a part of the 8 or 10 on the Task Force. The sheriff said he hadn’t prepared the information yet and the details had not been worked out, but he expected to include MCSO, Portland Police, FBI, Fairview Police, Port of Portland Police, and Troutdale Police. Someone asked if there would be a Southern Oregon component to the Task Force and he said “yes”.
He also said there wouldn’t have been a press conference yet if he hadn’t said “Task Force” at a morning meeting and felt he had to follow up. I know he regretted that it came out before he had been able to tell the family.
I was surprised the sheriff mentioned Fairview and Troutdale which are a long way from the Horman house. Most of the reports about searches and events have been in a totally different part of the metropolitan area. He said they wanted to continue with people who had been involved with the investigation from the beginning and not add anyone new.
Earlier in the investigation, I was thinking of the Port of Portland Police involvement as tracking “water routes, boats, shipping and ships”, but I am now thinking of small planes since there is an airport in Troutdale, and another in Hillsboro (just to the south of Beaverton). Fairview (the city) is close to Troutdale. The Port of Portland manages the Hillsboro and Troutdale airports which have a lot of private plane traffic. Mulino Airport, also on the Port’s website, is about 20 miles south of Portland. There are many more small airports in Oregon as well as the Medford area, Eugene, and Bend airports. (Security is supposed to be stricter at small airports since there was talk a few years ago about terrorists possibly wanting to use small planes, but someone who is a regular tenant/user there probably would not have any problem coming and going.)
http://www.portofportland.com/POP_Home.aspx?ep=7d2acf4cd5204a27a999e9dc869f9555
Fairview is a little over 3 square miles, and has about 13 or 14 police officers.
Troutdale is about 5 square miles and has 24 police officers. To me, that’s a rather small area to contribute 2 people to the Task Force unless there is something very specific to deal with there. Milwaukie is 5 square miles and we have more (and really great) police officers than either of those cities, so it isn’t just a matter of spreading the cost around where a detective is available to participate.
http://www.ci.troutdale.or.us/police/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troutdale,_Oregon (quote below)
The Troutdale Airport serves as a base for scenic aerial tours of the Columbia River Gorge. In addition to the Gorge, the town is home to over a dozen parks. It is also the location of one of the most notable locations of the local McMenamins chain, the 38 acre Edgefield.
Troutdale also has a variety of factory outlet stores, a historic downtown district, and an expansive truck stop row all within walking distance of each other. The presence of truck stops makes traveler information available almost 24 hours a day on C B Channel 19.
———————–
There is a lot of meth around Clackamas County and east Multnomah County (Gresham, Troutdale, Fairview areas) including the gang related transport of drugs and crime that go with that. When Oregon restricted access to OTC meth ingredients a few years ago, it greatly reduced the number of meth houses, but purer meth from Mexico quickly filled the gap in the market. It isn’t as obvious as a house blowing up every few weeks or so, but the results are there. I’m sure meth is not the only drug being transported.
There are many isolated places in eastern Oregon and beyond, and in Northern California. If Kyron were transported somewhere else, it certainly would not have to be out of the US. The choices for heading away from Portland include but are not limited to:
- car in any direction, truck in any direction – but both would be inspected for prohibited plants and fruits at the border of California and by customs in Canada.
- small airplane – I believe small planes are encouraged to file a flight plan, but may not always have to.
- train and bus – highly unlikely, too visible
- private boat to many possible places between Portland and the coast or going east upriver, depending on the size and type of boat
- container ship – if there is a way around inspections (I’m sure there is)
- combination – car to small plane to car or truck, for example, to get across state lines or past check points
The sheriff said all resources would still be available if needed, but they will target certain leads they have now using the appropriate agencies. The final list of who’s on this Task Force will have a lot of people speculating on what that means in regard to the target(s) of the investigation.
http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/09/09/kyron-horman-missing-case-review-and-birthday-wishes-to-the-frog-prince/#comments

krowdkat says:
September 16, 2010 at 10:35 am
In my opinion, the task force is being formed due to budgetary constraints. That and the fact that the majority of the leads in this case have been satisfactorily dealt with (rulled in or out). I don’t believe that Gresham, Troutdale and Fairview necessarily have anything to do with Kyron’s disappearance. Here is an example of a task force that was recently implemented in my community and surrounding cities. Obviously the first 48 has come and gone many times over in the Kyron case, but Sherrif Staton mentions budget/money over-and-over again in his 30 plus minute conference.
http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Articles/2009/10-28-09/Oakland-County-MCAT.asp

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/09/09/kyron-horman-missing-case-review-and-birthday-wishes-to-the-frog-prince/

hervness says:
September 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm
I live in Gresham, which is closely tied with the Troutdale/Fairview area (in fact, in reality, you can’t tell the difference driving in them, in more fact, add Wood Village to the area as well). The thing about this area, besides the high (er) crime rate, hispanic population and meth problem, is that the area is easily accessible by plane, boat and an interstate freeway. If you wanted to “disappear” a tree frog expert, you’d have more options from this area than the Skyline area. It’s also in close proxomity to the Mt. Hood National Forest. A densely forested area with not a lot of people. It’s also, via back roads, about 17-20 miles from the southern areas of Canby, Oregon City and the like. It’s across the river from the Skyline area, but at that time of the morning, the traffic headed to this side of the river would be as minimal as it’s going to get. You could reasonably make the drive out here from Skyline in about 30-35 minutes if you had a route in mind. From here? Who knows.
The Troutdale airport is small, it’s a fairly tight knit community of people. But keep in mind that in June they were finishing the build on the new Fed Ex plant right down the street. There were lots and lots of trucks going in and out of the area on a daily basis, so something out of the norm in that area may not have been as noticable.

sackyattack
Scared Monkey

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

An amazing job by riverpearl at blinkoncrime

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/09/09/kyron-horman-missing-case-review-and-birthday-wishes-to-the-frog-prince/

riverpearl says:
September 17, 2010 at 11:21 am
I seem to be having issues w/ Mac copy & paste to Blink’s format. Sorry for confusion reading.
To clarify the messed upped post:
I edited/ emphasized my previous post on agencies involved etc to hopefully clear up confusion.
When Sheriff Staton was saying the Task Force was the SAME GROUP just stream-lined because
“This does not need to be as broad of investigation…we have narrowed the scope…now have target elements”- he was literally telling it like it is and has been from the start, a core group w/ assistance from other agencies as needed.
July 23, 2010 Sheriff Staton answered Qs via e-mail;
Q: How many investigators are still *dedicated*
to this case and what are they doing on a
*daily* basis?
A: A significant investigative team composed of *DA Office* (Multnomah County DA)
*East County Major Crime’s Team*
and other local, state and federal agencies are involved in this case
The numbers varies daily, *based on investigative needs*
**East County Major Crime’s Team was *Not* included with the *Q&A LIST*
of LE agencies assisted**
Q:
Can we have the list of law enforcement agencies that have *assisted*
in the Kyron Horman investigation?
A:
*Gresham Police, Fairview Police, Troutdale Police, Portland Police, Port of Portland Police,*
Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office, Clackamas County DA MCT,
*Multnomah County DA’s investigators,*
Washington County District Attorney’s Office, Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Gladstone Police, Oregon City Police, Milwaukie Police, Canby Police, Lake Oswego Police, West Linn Police, Vancouver
Police, Hillsboro Police, Beaverton Police,
*FBI*
DEA, ICE, Secret Service, DOD Defense Criminal Investigative Services, Oregon DOJ, Oregon State Police.
*Multnomah County Sheriff Office (MCSO)*
and *Gresham, Fairview and Troutdale Police departments*
The Special Investigations Team
*performs raids, street-level undercover operations, and gathers evidence in civil forfeiture cases.*
The Special Investigations Unit is composed of *deputies from Multnomah County (MCSO)*
*officers from the Gresham Police and Troutdale Police departments*
as well as an investigative technician.
*Sheriff Staton said, during 09/15 presser,
the Special Investigations Unit would be INVOLVED/ part of the Task Force.
*East County Major Crime’s Team*
and other local, state and federal agencies are involved in this case.
The numbers varies daily, *based on investigative needs*
East Multnomah County Major Crime Team INCLUDES DETECTIVES from:
*Gresham, Fairview & Troutdale Police Departments*
- AND -
Oregon State Police and *MCSO*
- NOW ADD -
MCSO Special Investigation Unit
- ADDITIONALLY ADD -
*FBI, Port of Portland, Portland Police*
&
OTHER Agencies- as needed based on *investigative needs*
The TASK FORCE was already IN PLACE.
Now there was Clackamas CO DA MCT that had assisted but the ‘disappearance’ happen in Mult Co.
The Sheriff would be more familiar working w/ East Mult Co Major Crime Team
- BUT -
ADD MCSO Special Investigations Unit and you have a TWIST to the East Co Maj Crime Team/Task Force.
JMHO-I could be flying way ABOVE 30,000 ft but when you look @ what East Co Maj Crime Team provides resources for each time :
homicide, attempted homicide, serious physical assault, sexual assault or missing children
- AND -
what MCSO Special Investigations Units performs :
investigations of *illegal drug activity* w/i the *greater Portland metro area*
You can SEE what the Sheriff meant by,
“This does not need to be as broad of investigation…we have narrowed the scope…now have target elements.”
With addition of FBI & Port of Portland, there would be the organized crime/illegal drugs element.
Completing the Task Force: Portland Police are the police of the CITY Kyron ‘disappeared’ from and the largest Police Dept/city in the area.
I know, Portland, the city, is not as well ‘connected’ to Kyron’s case because what everyone hears is Multnomah County.
It almost seems Mult Co has become a ‘city’ name in the public consciousness.
So the Task Force is dealing w/ a missing child possible homicide, organized crime/illegal drugs w/ multiple ‘surprises’ thrown in and a Southern Oregon/ Roseburg connection on the side.
JMHO I think the Task Force 8~10 Detectives would consist of approx.:
3 MCSO =30% –from East Mult Co Major Crime Team & Special Investigative Unit
1 OSP –East Mult Co Major Crime Team
1 FBI
1 Port of Portland
1 Portland Police
1 Fairview Police –East Mult Co Major Crime Team
1 Gresham Police–East Mult Co Major Crime Team & Special Investigation Unit
1 Troutdale Police –East Mult Co Major Crime Team & Special Investigation Unit.
Having the Task Force spread between these agencies would definitely share the cost but keep ALL the CORE Detectives IN PLACE.
With MSCO the lead on this case, they would shoulder the largest cost burden of 30% = 3 Detectives.
Hope this all makes sense & the length won’t freak y’all out.
Now, where is the little man ?

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.