April 19, 2024, 03:02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Georgia babysitter, 11, charged in death!  (Read 5390 times)
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« on: September 22, 2010, 12:12:33 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/21/georgia.baby.sitter/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

Sandy Springs police are conducting interviews after a child was rushed from this home and later died.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Baby sitter, 11, charged in toddler's death
2-year-old died of blunt-force trauma, police say
Baby sitter reportedly said child had fallen out of bed
RELATED TOPICS
Atlanta
(CNN) -- An 11-year-old baby sitter in suburban Atlanta, Georgia, has been charged in the death of a 2-year-old, authorities said.

The baby sitter is accused of felony murder and cruelty to children, according to Lt. Steve Rose, spokesman for the Sandy Springs Police Department.

The baby sitter, who is a daughter of a co-worker of the victim's mother, was caring for Zyda White late Saturday. The mother of the 2-year-old called 911 from the baby sitter's home after returning to pick up her child, police said.

Zyda was take to Scottish Rite Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, Rose said in a statement. An autopsy indicated she suffered blunt-force trauma to her head, torso and buttocks, CNN affiliate WSB reported.

Zyda's mother, Ashlea Collier, told CNN affiliate WSB her daughter's eyes were wide open when she got there. The baby sitter's mother started CPR. The 11-year-old told her that Zyda had fallen out of bed, that she put her back and gave her apple juice, Collier said.

Sandy Springs police are conducting interviews and examining evidence from the autopsy.

The 11-year-old was taken Tuesday to the Metro Youth Detention Center in Fulton County.

It was unclear whether the case will be handled by juvenile authorities
(Edit to fix typo in subject title.  MB)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:24:03 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
darla
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:14:50 AM »

I made a spelling booboo in the topic line...it should be Georgia. If a mod comes in could you please fix it for me? TIA.

What is our world coming to?

OK.  Booboo all fixed.  MB
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:25:00 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

God Bless!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:57 AM »

I made a spelling booboo in the topic line...it should be Georgia. If a mod comes in could you please fix it for me? TIA.

What is our world coming to?

OK.  Booboo all fixed.  MB

This is just terrible    Did the babysitter batter this baby with an object or throw her against something?  It almost sounds as if baby Zyda was stomped on.  No matter which, just the very idea a two year old baby girl dies like this is just horrible.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »

I was just reading about this ....   

11-Year-Old Babysitter Charged With Murder Of 2-Year-Old
 Matt McKinney    Created:  9/22/2010 5:30:36 AM  Updated: 9/22/2010 6:03:01 AM

Sandy Springs, GA -- It is a story that is hard to explain. An 11-year old girl is charged with a crime that could penalize her as if she were an adult. The charge is murder. Sandy Springs Police say the girl, who is not being identified, killed a two year old girl she was babysitting.

Ashlea Collier is the two year olds mother. She said her daughter Zeyda White was a busy-body. The girl's father, Tony White, said Zeyda was a mini version of himself. Zeyda's grandmother simply said she was an angel.

It is hard to justify the loss of a life so young. It's harder when it is another child who is accused of murdering her. "I've never seen a child do that to another child so I don't have any justification," said Gloria Elliott, the two year olds grandmother. "I'm just numb."

Tony White fought to say the words, "I loved her with all my heart". He called Zeyda's death heartbreaking. "I don't understand how anybody could do anything like that, let alone an 11 year old girl", he said.

On Saturday night, Sandy Springs police were called to an apartment in the Dunwoody Pointe apartment complex where Zeyda was with the 11-year old babysitter. Sandy Springs Police Lt. Steve Rose said officers received a 911 call from Zeyda's mother. The two year old was unresponsive and transported to the hospital where she died shortly after midnight.

Lt. Rose said the baby sitter told police Zeyda fell from a bed. But an autopsy on Sunday found a head wound that didn't make sense with that description. "The autopsy showed there was blunt force trauma to the head," Lt. Rose said. "That indicates a severe head injury."

Ashley Collier said she wants 11-year old baby sitter, a daughter of a co-worker, to face the harshest penalty. "I feel like that girl should do life, I feel like that girl should not have freedom," she said. "I can't go pick up my daughter and tell her I love her. My daughter can't even grow up to life the life she wanted to."

Police have charged the 11 year old as an adult even though she is only 11. A spokesperson for the Fulton County District Attorney's Office said "Our office is awaiting a full report from the Sandy Springs Police Department." Yvette Brown said. "Upon receipt of that report, we will conduct our own investigation and make a decision regarding the appropriate charges."

http://www.digtriad.com/news/most_popular/article.aspx?storyid=148212&provider=top

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
darla
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »

Thanks Muffybee for fixing my spelling and thanks Nutt for the article. I had found the initial one on my local news channel last night and was just floored . My heart breaks for what this baby girl endured in that home and my heart also breaks for the 11 yr old. She is still a baby herself. Was there not an adult in the home with the 11 yr old? 

God Bless!
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »

I agree with you - where were the ADULTS? I would never allow my 12 year old to watch a 2 year old. They do not have the patience, the sense or the life experience to handle the challenges of a busy child.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20017309-504083.html
11-Year-Old Babysitter May Be Tried As Adult For Murder of 2-Year-Old Zeyda White
September 22, 2010

Sandy Springs, Ga. (CBS/WGCL) Fulton County prosecutors have the difficult task of determining whether or not an 11-year-old Georgia girl who has been charged with the murder of a 2-year-old toddler should be tried as an adult.

The Fulton County District Attorney issued a statement Wednesday saying that the office is waiting unti lthe police have concluede their investigation before proceeding.

"Our office is awaiting a full report on this matter from the Sandy Springs Police Department. Upon receipt of that report, we will conduct our investigation and make a decision regarding the appropriate charges."

Ashlea Collier, Zeyda's mother, told CBS affiliate WGCL that she went to work Saturday evening and left her daughter at the apartment of one of her co-workers, Kiyosha Bell.

However, Bell says she was not home that evening and left her 11-year-old daughter in charge of babysitting the 2-year-old.

Unfortunately, when they returned to the Dunwoody Pointe Apartments Zeyda was unconscious.

The toddler's mother called 911, but it was too late. Doctors pronounced Zeyda dead at the hospital shortly after midnight.

According to police, the 11-year-old initially told detectives that Zeyda had been injured after falling off a bed, but autopsies showed that the injuries were inconsistent with the girl's story.

Police say that the 2-year-old died from blunt force trauma.

"She's been coming to me in my dreams asking me for help. So she didn't die in peace," Collier said through sobs to WGCL.

The 11-year-old babysitter whose name has not been released is being held a juvenile Youth Detention Center in Fulton County.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:03:34 PM »

I know it is so easy to be a person with perfect 20-20 vision in hindsight.  I know these families are grieving and my soul aches for their loss.
Yet I have to ask, what kind of parent leaves a 2-year old with an 11-year old?  What kind of parent allows their 11-year old to watch a 2-year old?  Have people just thrown common sense to the wind?  It is so sad people don't realize how precious these gifts from heaven are until it's too late.  May God help us all.

fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 04:35:45 PM »

OMG!  So sad!  I always hate it when people have really young ones watching other younger ones.  I know it used to be the norm but not now.  This story is so sad for both families but the 11 yr old needs help.  She should of atleast called 911.  wow.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »

OMG!  So sad!  I always hate it when people have really young ones watching other younger ones.  I know it used to be the norm but not now.  This story is so sad for both families but the 11 yr old needs help.  She should of atleast called 911.  wow.

It's even one thing if it was a sibling -- they are used to being around each other.  This is so sad and so irresponsible IMO.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.