March 28, 2024, 05:54:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 yr old dead, Father injured in Durham N.C. Father to be charged.  (Read 5009 times)
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« on: September 22, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8328173/

Hillsborough, N.C. — A Durham County man will be charged with first-degree murder in the death of his 4-year-old son, according to the sheriff's office.

Authorities said that Joseph Mitchell, 46, of 17 Thistle Place, will also face charges of attempted murder in attacks on his 10-year-old and 13-year-old children.

Emergency crews responding to a 911 call found Mitchell and the 4-year-old injured inside their home in the Hardscrabble Plantation community early Wednesday, authorities said.

The boy was transported to Duke Hospital, where he died.

Authorities said that Mitchell's wounds were self-inflicted. He underwent surgery at Duke Hospital and was expected to survive.

I need to stop watching the news.

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
darla
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »

Link to property records. It won't let me copy and paste:

http://www.ustaxdata.com/nc/durham/account.cfm?ownerID=8164349&parcelID=189070&groupParcel=0816-01-36-9607

God Bless!
darla
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »

Mitchell underwent surgery at Duke Hospital and was expected to survive. Authorities said that he was being kept under guard at the hospital and will go before a magistrate when he is released.

The child's mother and a grandfather were home at the time. The house is in Hardscrabble Plantation off St. Mary’s Road, approximately 1 mile west of Guess Road, in the northern area of Durham and Orange counties.

Harris said investigators had trouble interviewing family members because they were so distraught.

There was no sign of forced entry into the home, but the front door was open. Investigators said they are not sure if someone inside the house opened the door for emergency crews before they arrived.

Property records show the house is owned by Joseph and Christine Mitchell.

God Bless!
darla
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »

Latest news out this afternoon. So sad.

Hillsborough, N.C. — Close friends say that the family of a Durham County man accused of killing his 4-year-old son was facing hard financial times.

Joseph Anthony Mitchell, 46, of 17 Thistle Place in Hillsborough, will be charged with first-degree murder in the death of his 4-year-old son, Blake, and two counts of attempted murder in connection with his 10-year-old son, Devon, and 13-year-old daughter, Lexi, according to Durham County Sheriff Worth L. Hill.

Authorities said that Blake died of asphyxiation. Mitchell tried to commit suicide and was hospitalized for self-inflicted wounds, Hill said. He was placed under guard at Duke Hospital and will be officially charged once released.

In a 911 call placed from the home around 12:30 a.m., Mitchell's wife, Christine Mitchell, tries to resucitate her son, while her father Pete Perolini, talks to dispatchers.

"The baby's dead. That's what she thinks. He's not breathing. He's completely limpless," Perolini said.

Meanwhile, according to the 911 tape, Mitchell had barricaded himself in a room.

"This case, it's tragic. It's as simple as I can put it. It's just tragic," Lt. Stan Harris, with the sheriff's office, said.

Authorities haven't commented on a motive in the case. Investigators said they had trouble interviewing family members because they were so distraught.

Neighbors and family friends said that the Mitchells were a close family but were facing financial hardships.

Family friend Donna Tanzi described the Mitchells as "a very loving family" that "did everything together," including attending Saint Matthew Catholic Church in Durham."

According to court records, the family's house in the Hardscrabble Plantation subdivision, near the Durham-Orange County line, was foreclosed on in mid-June. Friends said that Mitchell, an EMS worker, had been unemployed for about a year, and his wife was also out of work.

"He must have snapped," Tanzi said of Mitchell. "I think something may have happened to him, because he would never do this."

Neighbors said they're trying to process the child's death and will support the family in any way they can.

"They were very nice, loved their family," neighbor Ralph Sears said. "Right now, we just hope that we can help the family out any way, whether it's praying or food. It's just a sad day."

Reporters: Renee Chou, Amanda Lamb
Photographers: Jamie Munden, Terry

God Bless!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.