March 29, 2024, 03:45:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with my kitty  (Read 5604 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 16, 2007, 11:52:41 PM »

our oldest child has recently taken to not wanting to use the litter box.... he is 18 and all of the sudden he seems to want to just use where ever ... and I am wondering if this is a function of old age ... or if something is wrong.

He was at the vet's in Dec. for his annual check up and they said he was ok... just elderly.  

Any hints on what to do????

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 01:33:30 AM »

Dear Mrs. Red,

Take the cat back to the Vet. Not using the litter box is a sign of bladder infection. Also his age of 18, incontinence could be a factor.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 05:40:56 AM »

Hello mrs. Red Smile

I can only imagine those wonderful 18 years of living with your feline companion!

I agree, take him back to the vet. Sadly, I have learned one of the major signs of your beloved animals aging is thier bladder control starts going. You want to make sure his kidneys are not affected. Some animals kidneys start giving out after a certain age.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until you have him checked though but be prepared.

I will keep you and your kitty in my prayers for the best of outcomes Smile

SeaMonkey
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »

I just thought of something now that I am waking up Smile

he could also have cystitis. Which is easily treated. I was reading up on cystitis once when I was diagnosed with it and came across feline urinary problems too, so I read it. If I remember correctly if your cat does have that it can be treated by just upping intakes of water and changing the food it eats. But first have him checked by the vet to rule out anything else and maybe your vet has a treatment that will be instant on your kitty.
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:02:11 AM »

Quote from: "Seamonkey"
I just thought of something now that I am waking up Smile

he could also have cystitis. Which is easily treated. I was reading up on cystitis once when I was diagnosed with it and came across feline urinary problems too, so I read it. If I remember correctly if your cat does have that it can be treated by just upping intakes of water and changing the food it eats. But first have him checked by the vet to rule out anything else and maybe your vet has a treatment that will be instant on your kitty.

AS one who has Border Collies that live to be 22 years old..I can tell you that I"ve seen it all. The females go through menopause, (which is almost never seen) and so on.
Now. I have found with dogs, at least, as they get older, they tend to get bladder problems to one degree or another. I tend to think your little guy has a bladder infection and just needs some meds to feel better. Especially since this appears to have come on suddenly and is not chronic.  Also, check his nether regions to be sure he isn't burning the skin surrounding that area with a strong urine. (dribbling, etc)

Definitely take him to the vet and they'll fix him up!

Hugs to kitty
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »

Mrs Red
 Take him to the vet.  He could have a kidney infection.  We had a cat with chronic kidney problems and he always refused a litter box when he had a flare up.  Don't wait too long, it only gets worse.  If he stops eating and wants to drink water all the time, definitely get him to your vet pronto!
MisGivings
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 06:36:25 PM »

Hey, Mrs. Red, just read where you were having some problems with your pussy. Shocked
Have you changed the brand of cat litter you have been buying? Cats won't use a box if they don't like the litter choice.
You might try using some shredded newspaper until you can get the cat to the vet. Make sure you line the cat box with one of those liners you can get to make clean up much easier.

Hope all ends up well in the long run for you and your cat. Having a sick pussy is just no fun!

You have to give Joran credit. He found a way to travel extensively without it costing him a dime.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:30:26 PM »

Milo did the same thing a few years back, and he was only a couple of years old. Took him to the vet, they tested his urine and determined that he had cystitis (tiny, sharp and poking crystals in his urine). Changed his diet and no longer give him tap water. He has only peed in the litter box ever since.

Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 09:32:44 PM »

Take him to the Vet,soon.He needs help.Cat   as a cat,I know these things.

Live with hope,looking for justice
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 10:00:53 PM »

thanks for all the info y'all... I just changed his food and that is when he started getting all funky...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 11:53:07 PM »

Quote from: "MisGivings"
Hey, Mrs. Red, just read where you were having some problems with your pussy. Shocked
Have you changed the brand of cat litter you have been buying? Cats won't use a box if they don't like the litter choice.
You might try using some shredded newspaper until you can get the cat to the vet. Make sure you line the cat box with one of those liners you can get to make clean up much easier.

Hope all ends up well in the long run for you and your cat. Having a sick pussy is just no fun!

OMgoodness, Misgivings!! So good to see you and your funny self!!

Bring Natalee home...
MisGivings
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 06:06:39 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
Milo did the same thing a few years back, and he was only a couple of years old. Took him to the vet, they tested his urine and determined that he had cystitis (tiny, sharp and poking crystals in his urine). Changed his diet and no longer give him tap water. He has only peed in the litter box ever since.

Peaking my curiosity here; where does the cat do #2?

You have to give Joran credit. He found a way to travel extensively without it costing him a dime.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 07:20:27 AM »

Quote from: "MisGivings"
Quote from: "justinsmama"

Peaking my curiosity here; where does the cat do #2?

Litter box. Ya know, I spoke too soon. Dang if that animal didn't squat and try to pee in the hallway this morning.  Mad

Katysmom
Monkey Junky

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
our oldest child has recently taken to not wanting to use the litter box.... he is 18 and all of the sudden he seems to want to just use where ever ... and I am wondering if this is a function of old age ... or if something is wrong.

He was at the vet's in Dec. for his annual check up and they said he was ok... just elderly.  

Any hints on what to do????

My cat did this also from time to time, and, it too, started in his elderly years. I did some reasearch on the internet and found that cats will do this for numerous reasons such as the litter box hasn't been cleaned, and even if they are mad at you!  We changed the litter to Scoop Away Multiple Cat Formula and changed his food to Purina One Urinary Tract Formula.  He hasn't done it again in about 2 1/2 years.
My husband thinks it was because he was mad.  Before we moved here, he always hid and was never affectionate.  When we moved into the new house, he's always around us, gives our Yorkies a bath every day, he even sleep with me.
Cats, they're soooo finicky!!

If love could of saved you, you would of lived forever
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 12:55:44 PM »

Katys... maybe he was mad I changed his food... but he seems to be overly thristy.. so it's off to the Vet, but I have to say that once I changed his food to the uniary tract food he was used to, he seems better.  I will keep y'all informed...

Misgivings.. you are a bad, bad woman!  LOL

Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »

Misgiving,you are a bad woman,but I bet you got lots of dates.i hope your Cat is ok,Mrs Red.Which one Tabby or Maine Coon Cat.These are my relatives,misgiving,check your pillow at bed time.CAT

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 07:33:55 PM »

Mrs. Red,

I'm just remembering that male cats are subject to cystitis more than female cats, although I did have a female with that condition.

After many years and many cats, I finally found my way to my current Vet, Dr. Carlsen in 2001 when my Sarafina started pooping blood. He brought her back to life several times (huge vet bills) and he eventually said "We are only applying a Band-Aid when we prop her back up.  We need to do diagnostics and find the problems." He did an endoscopy and called me and said she has lymphoma throughout her entire digestive tract and she is not responding. I drove over there immediately and we put her down.  She was 11. I used to feed them Science Diet dry food, and cans of food from the grocery store.  I found all of that stuff can be very poisonous to cats over the long term. I didn't know any better.

At that time, I began to buy cat food from the Vet.  We tried a lot of different formulas but the best one was called z/d Ultra Feline which is the most benign non allergenic food available. When two of my other cats also were diagnosed with lymphoma and had to be put down (age 15 and 13), I started to think about preventive care. My fourth cat Romeo (age 14) is still in good health despite his eating the same foods that Sarafina, Isis and Hurricane ate.

When I got my  new kitten Guinevere at two months old, she got a clean bill of health from the vet. She and Romeo only eat the  z/d Ultra Feline dry food. A ten lb. sack costs $47.51 which lasts one month. That is very expensive.  However, it costs much less than hospital bills when elderly cats get sick.

I'm hoping Romeo will stay healthy and I know for sure that Guinevere will be eating the best food possible and hopefully will live a long and healthy life. Apparently the food is tasty because they both start to paw at me in the morning to rouse me out of bed to give them some of that z/d food.

Good luck with your kitty.

With love,
Louise

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 11:09:19 AM »

My tabby got mad at my polar bear and peed on her pillow.Cats can fly,at least out the door,for a while.Frankie slept in my lap,after that.CAT

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.