I would like to know how our food supplies are getting tainted. I can see one or two things in one decade..things happen...but this is like the seventh thing to be tainted since last spring.
Brussel Sprouts, Tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, spinach, peanut butter, and cantaloupes. I am sure there are some I forgot..They basically have fed a fear in me of all things I love.
I guess the only answer is to grow our own foods. or only buy from our local markets that grow locally.
Hi Seamonkey - As I understand it Salmonella is transferred by faeces so my guess is it comes from the fertiliser used on the vegetable crops or fruit. One infected person cannot handle all the items in a consignment. Some of the countries we import fresh products from are not as hygiene conscious as we are. I have ceased buying fruit or veggies from the supermarkets and now only purchase from a local shop which is owned and run by a farmer where he sells only his own produce. Always fresh as he takes leftovers home to feed his stock and no spraying or treatments to keep looking fresh.
We had a case of botulism on TV news last night, and they interviewed the factory owner who was in tears. Showed us factory and spotless as a research lab. Came in cheese he used in pack. Easier to post article :
THE AGE NEWSPAPER - Melbourne Victoria Aust.
Home » National » Article
Nachos alert as man paralysed by botulism
February 18, 2007
Other related coverage
* Botulism case prompts nachos warning
A NACHOS meal that left a Melbourne man paralysed with the deadly disease botulism remained on supermarket shelves for a month before authorities raised the alarm and recalled the product.
The state's chief health officer, Robert Hall, yesterday warned Victorians not to eat the packaged Mexican meal Nachos to Go after the man was diagnosed with botulism, a rare but potentially fatal disease contracted by eating contaminated food.
The products marked "best before April 19" should be discarded or returned to the place of purchase for a refund.
Dr Hall revealed that the victim, a 26-year-old man from Melbourne's western suburbs, microwaved the nachos for lunch at work on January 19. He felt sick that night and was admitted to hospital, where he became paralysed. He was diagnosed with botulism 12 days later.
The man remains in intensive care in a serious but stable condition. His recovery is expected to take several months.
Symptoms of botulism include blurred vision, lethargy, dizziness and slurred speech, followed by breathing problems and paralysis.
The typical incubation period is between 12 and 36 hours.
The nachos' producer, Adelaide-based company Mexican Express, began removing the meals with a best-before date of April 2007 from supermarket shelves on Friday night.
The batch of 5012 packets that has been implicated in the botulism scare has been on sale since December 19 but no other cases have been reported.
Mexican Express managing director Ian Young said that while his company had agreed to voluntarily recall the product, he was not convinced the packet had contained botulism.
He claimed the packet was in a communal waste bin for five days before it was tested and returned a positive result.
"The decision I have made is in the interests of public health, even though the impact on our company will be severe," Mr Young said.
The product is stored at room temperature and contains a packet of corn chips and tubs of salsa and cheese.
Opposition health spokeswoman Helen Shardey said she was concerned about the time it had taken to raise the alarm.
"What have they been doing in the past month?" Ms Shardey asked. "This is something that can kill you … You would think these toxins would not take long to identify. It's lucky only one person has been affected by this; there could have been a lot more."
She said questions needed to be asked about why there was a delay in alerting the public.
But Dr Hall defended the health authorities' handling of the case.
He said botulism was a complicated disease to diagnose because it was extremely rare.
"The link to the nachos product was made well after the man had been admitted to hospital," he said. "Because he was unable to communicate, his food history had to be provided by his family, friends and workmates."
It was only after exhaustive interviews with those close to the man that it was discovered he had eaten the nachos at work before falling ill. The leftovers were found in a rubbish bin and used to confirm the presence of botulism.
"The kinds of tests that are required are quite painstaking and slow," Dr Hall said.
"We'd always like to do things rapidly, but we also need to do things with good evidence."
Dr Hall said there was no evidence of any food-tampering but the investigation was continuing.
He said it appeared the cheese component of the product contained the botulism.
Botulism is not transmitted from person to person.
The last reported case in Victoria was in 2005, when an infant was diagnosed with intestinal botulism.
BOTULISM is a rare but potentially fatal disease that can severely damage nerves and muscles. It is caused by the nerve toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. Symptoms include weakness, dizziness, blurred vision and vomiting.