March 29, 2024, 07:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Segway Boss Jimi Heselden Dies on Segway: Are Segways Safe?  (Read 1632 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/segway-accident-kills-jimi-heselden-segway-boss/story?id=11736855

Segway Boss Jimi Heselden Dies on Segway: Are Segways Safe?

Company Owner's Death Coincides With Research Examining Injuries From the Machines
September 27, 2010

In a bizarre twist, James Heselden, owner of the company that makes the two-wheeled Segway  personal transporter, died Sunday morning in a Segway-related mishap -- just before the scheduled release of a study suggesting injuries related to the vehicles may be on the rise.

According to a witness report, Heselden, 62, apparently fell off a 30-foot cliff into a river while riding a Segway near his home in West Yorkshire, UK. Police found Heselden's body and a Segway personal transporter in the river. He was prounced dead at the scene and foul play is not suspected, West Yorkshire Police told reporters.

A short statement posted on the Segway company website noted that Heselden "died in a tragic accident."

"Our thoughts go out to his family and many friends, who have asked for privacy at this time."

Meanwhile, emergency room doctors said in a study released on Monday that cases of Segway-related injuries "are significant and seem to be increasing," with inexperienced users perhaps bearing the brunt of these injuries.
(snip)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »

check them out......

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=Segway&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

He went over a cliff....I think that may be a bit different than other injuries/deaths reported....

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »

I thought they were created for use on flat surfaces like sidewalks, pavement or maybe tile.  If he was using one on his property near a cliff, I envision a surface that would need an all terrain type of vehicle.   

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.