March 28, 2024, 05:25:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #57 12/17/10 - 4/17/11  (Read 308583 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »

Too Cute, Klaas!   

Are you in all the California rain???   
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »

Too Cute, Klaas!   

Raining pretty much all day yesterday and most of the day today.  They say the big storm should hit some time tomorrow morning and they say it will be BAD.  I ran my important errands today and really don't have to go anywhere tomorrow.  We won't flood here so we'll be fine.   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2010, 12:57:23 AM »

Too Cute, Klaas!   

Raining pretty much all day yesterday and most of the day today.  They say the big storm should hit some time tomorrow morning and they say it will be BAD.  I ran my important errands today and really don't have to go anywhere tomorrow.  We won't flood here so we'll be fine.   

Good! Snuggle up here where we can check to know you're alright!!   

I wonder how the other California Monkeys are faring? We might need to get the banana boat gassed up!   

Seriously............. I'm hoping that everyone stays safe and sound!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2010, 01:13:45 AM »

California, Utah awash in rain, snow and mud
By the CNN Wire Staff
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: California declare an emergency in 6 countiesNEW:Rockville, Utah, residents allowed to return Roads into two national parks are shut down, a park lodge manager saysA record number of distraught Southern California motorists call AAA for help
Los Angeles (CNN) -- Southern California faces another water-logged day Wednesday with renewed threats of flash flooding, especially in San Diego county.

The National Weather Service is forecasting rain rainfall rates of up to 2 inches per hour, which could prompt flooding in the San Bernardino, Santa Ana and Palomar Mountains, and along the Orange County coastal plains.

On Tuesday, storm-weary Californians slogged through another day of record-breaking snow, rain and flooding from a series of storms that prompted an emergency declaration from the state's governor.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's proclamation covers Kern, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo and Tulare counties in southern California. The declaration warns that the forecast calls for "extraordinary and continuing rainfall" that is likely to cause more flooding and landslides in the region and authorizes state assistance to local authorities.

The five-day rain total has topped 10 inches in many areas, with much heavier amounts in some locales. More than 21 inches has fallen on Twin Peaks in San Bernardino county, with Twin Creek receiving nearly 20 inches.

In Los Angeles County, meanwhile, authorities ordered the evacuation of more than 230 homes in two neighborhoods out of fear of debris flows.

But in southwestern Utah, a dam that authorities had feared was in imminent danger of giving way to floodwaters was found to be in stronger condition than previously believed, said Marc Mortensen, a spokesman for Washington County.

The roughly 800 residents of the towns of Virgin and Rockville were allowed to return to their homes Tuesday night, Mortensen said. Engineers will monitor the dam, located on the Virgin River, and conduct more tests on Wednesday, when high water flows are expected again, he said.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert said he was prepared to declare a state of emergency in the south, where floodwaters also washed out at least one bridge. But as of Tuesday afternoon, Utah officials said the required benchmarks for an emergency declaration had not been reached, and Herbert hadn't received a request from local authorities to issue one.

"We are closely monitoring the activity in southern Utah, and praying for the safety of all of the area's residents," Herbert said in a statement from his office.

In Southern California, where the car is king, a record number of motorists called their local AAA to report dead batteries, a need for emergency tows and crashed vehicles, said spokesman Jeffrey Spring of the Automobile Club of Southern California.

More than 25,000 distraught motorists made calls for help on Monday, the largest number ever in a 24-hour period for the AAA's largest U.S. affiliate, Spring said.

"We're in Southern California, and we don't have a lot of experience driving in the rain, and some people drive through high puddles not realizing what kind of effect it can have on a car," Spring said. "If the engine gets splashed and gets wet, it can stop the car right there."

Spring said AAA was "able to serve the majority of members in 30 minutes," although he added, "I'm sure there were a number of people who had to wait longer than that."

Monday's call volume surpassed the prior record of about 22,000 on October 9, 2008, when a heat wave and the scorching Santa Ana winds disabled many automobiles, Spring said. Monday's weather -- torrential rains -- had opposite conditions, he said.

"Batteries are fickle things if they're not at full strength," Spring said. "Hot weather can affect them and weather like this."

In the southern Sierra Nevada, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks were effectively shut down Monday and Tuesday because flooding, mudslides and rockslides closed the two roads into the parks, said Brandy Frederich, assistant general manager of Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia National Park.

In fact, the 102-room lodge was vacant Tuesday after the last couple of guests departed Monday, Frederich said.

"Well, we're all up here," Frederich said of the hotel staff. "We would be open if the road is open. It's gorgeous right now. Up here, it finally turned to snow."

But the rain at lower elevations washed out the two roads, she said.

Meanwhile, residents were keeping a nervous eye on hillsides, wary of the potential for mudslides.

Donna McLaughlin of La Canada Flintridge lost her home last year when a 10-foot wall of mud came barreling down a hillside. She just moved back in October.

"Here we go again," she told CNN affiliate KABC.

But this time, the city has bolted down protective concrete barriers and attached them to each other in the area in an effort to guard against mudslides. McLaughlin said the barriers were not bolted down or attached last year. "Had they done that, our house would have at least been saved," she told KABC.

Deborah Craigo, 39, who lives in the Mojave Desert community of Hesperia, California, said monsoon conditions have inundated the arid landscape.

Fire stations are even offering sandbags to residents who want to shore up defenses to their homes, said Craigo, who is also a CNN iReporter.

"It's been raining from two days ago and it just has not stopped. They closed a lot of the roads down," said Craigo, a mother and college student. "It's pretty bad now. We have a riverbed in back of our house, and two days ago it was completely bone dry. And then within two days the riverbed is completely full."

In Orange County, California, four hikers whose truck was stranded by floodwater between two canyon roads were airlifted out Tuesday morning and were reported to be doing well, CNN affiliate KTLA reported. The four had been stranded overnight. Five other people were rescued in the same area Monday evening, the station said. A bulldozer was used to help get them to safety, it said.

Elsewhere, 40 horses were rescued from Riverside County as water rose to heights of about 4 feet, affiliate KCAL reported.

The storm is actually a series of storms originating in the Pacific, known as the "Pineapple Express" because of their origin near the Hawaiian Islands. They have brought heavy snow to the higher elevations, with torrential rainfall in lower spots, and high winds. Total rainfall has approached 10 inches in some areas.

Numerous roads were closed because of mudslides or flooding. On Monday, nearly 2,000 residents near McFarland, about 40 miles north of Lamont, were evacuated because of what fire department spokesman Sean Collins called "major flooding." The evacuation order was later lifted after debris was cleared from a backed-up creek.

Meanwhile, as much as 13 feet of snow fell in the Sierra Nevada, according to CNN Meteorologist Rob Marciano.

"We get a lot of snow here, but not usually this much in a 24-hour period," said CNN iReporter Sarah Butner, who is visiting family in Mammoth Lakes, California. The area has received about 9 feet of snow, she said Monday.

"The decks have a good 5 feet of snow on them," she said. One area of the neighborhood was also flooded, she said.

In Arvin, California, near Lamont, Caliente Creek washed away land near one home. Hugo Figueroa, who lives there, said he and his family were told to evacuate, CNN affiliate KBAK reported. Flooding washed out several roads near Lamont and Arvin, the station reported.

High winds also whipped much of the state, particularly at high elevations. Peak wind gusts reached 152 mph in Alpine Meadows summit in northern California, the weather service reported.

Mudslides forced officials to close a portion of State Route 1, also known as the Pacific Coast Highway, in Ventura County from just north of the Los Angeles County line to Oxnard, according to the California Department of Transportation. The Pacific Coast Highway was also closed north of Santa Barbara due to flooding.

A mudslide also closed a portion of State Route 41 in San Luis Obispo County. A stretch of State Route 34 in the Oxnard area was closed because of flooding.

The danger of mudslides will probably intensify, CNN meteorologist Ivan Cabrera said.

"A serious situation will develop now with the mudslide danger that will continue over the next several days," Cabrera said Monday.

Another danger: Falling trees. Erik Budzinski of Orange told CNN affiliate KABC he is heartsick after his vintage 1970 Ford F-150 truck was crushed by a large tree Monday night. "It was my baby," he said.

Budzinski said he was inside his home and heard the wood cracking and popping as the tree fell. "I just knew it," he said.

Still, many southern Californians were not deterred from holiday shopping by the rain, although the rain-slicked roads had led to thousands of accidents.

"It's a little scary to be driving with this much rain, but I'm going to deal with it," Adriena Young told KABC. "It's better than a drought."

CNN's Jeremy Ryan,Sara Pratley, Nick Valencia, Michael Martinez, Ed Payne and Daphne Sashin contributed to this report.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/22/winter.weather 
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »

Hey Everyone  i was hoping to post a Christmas message on Christmas day but there is so much family here & so much happening I don't know if I'll be able to, so I'm doing it now, just in case! I love this board, it's a part of my life. I check in on different threads every day. I have to, it's like brushing my teeth or getting dressed, my day is not complete without it. I cannot wait for CA's trial to start in May, for me, i know it is going to be all consuming, & it will be here before you know it! I want justice for little Caylee and I also hope questions are answered for Zahra & Kyron(I saw his Mom on the news yesterday & it was heart-breaking)and all the others we follow. Klaas, I'm glad you're up high enough where you won't float away out there in Cali!  CBB, we have a slight chance for snow on Christmas here too, but I'm alot further south so, we'll see! I hope everyone one of you has a very Merry Christmas & a safe & Happy New Year!!! I Love you all!! p.s.I'm going to really really try to remember to post my cake pictures! 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
CarolynV
Scared Monkey

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »

Hello all.  The Detroit zoo got a new Monkey, I thought you might like to see her.  If you click on the little pic on the bottom of the page you can you can see her better.

Merry Christmas!

http://www.freep.com/article/20101222/NEWS02/101222013/1322/Detroit-Zoo-gets-monkey-seized-from-home

The Detroit Zoo got an early Christmas present this year, in the form of a small monkey seized from a Southfield home.

Southfield Police said they received a call on Dec. 6 that a family living on Spring River had a marmoset named Pearl in their home. For the most part, exotic or wild animals are illegal within city limits, and while appearing sweet-natured, marmosets can be aggressive.

Pearl, who had been living with the family for three years, came to Michigan via Florida. The family willingly turned over the small monkey, due to a possible move.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »

Hello all.  The Detroit zoo got a new Monkey, I thought you might like to see her.  If you click on the little pic on the bottom of the page you can you can see her better.

Merry Christmas!

http://www.freep.com/article/20101222/NEWS02/101222013/1322/Detroit-Zoo-gets-monkey-seized-from-home

The Detroit Zoo got an early Christmas present this year, in the form of a small monkey seized from a Southfield home.

Southfield Police said they received a call on Dec. 6 that a family living on Spring River had a marmoset named Pearl in their home. For the most part, exotic or wild animals are illegal within city limits, and while appearing sweet-natured, marmosets can be aggressive.

Pearl, who had been living with the family for three years, came to Michigan via Florida. The family willingly turned over the small monkey, due to a possible move.

What a cute little thing she is.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »

That is the cutest monkey I have ever seen. All that long hair or fur or whatever.

2 4 1
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 10:53:38 PM »

My Fibromyalgia stiffness and morning headaches have been helped. If I lived in an area that needed full time heat in the winter, I'd buy this for it cuts heating bills and gives you toasty toes, back et al. Dog likes it. Cat likes it when not sleeping on my new coat. Oh, here comes rain again! Ugh.

SoftHeat® Microfleece Dual-Control Warming Pad
Item #: 1583-37728-1335

brylanehome.com a sister site to roamans.com

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:25 AM »

My Fibromyalgia stiffness and morning headaches have been helped. If I lived in an area that needed full time heat in the winter, I'd buy this for it cuts heating bills and gives you toasty toes, back et al. Dog likes it. Cat likes it when not sleeping on my new coat. Oh, here comes rain again! Ugh.

SoftHeat® Microfleece Dual-Control Warming Pad
Item #: 1583-37728-1335

brylanehome.com a sister site to roamans.com

Thanks IBE!

Good news is that the rain should stop today and we will be clear for a few days!
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »

This is just devastating! 

update
By Brian Livingston / blivingston@themeridianstar.com
 The Meridian Star The Meridian Star Thu Dec 23, 2010, 08:08 PM CST

MERIDIAN — The scene at a home at 788 Murphy Road late this afternoon was too much to take for even hardened investigators with the Lauderdale County Sheriff's Department. LCSD Chief Dep. Ward Calhoun said two investigators, after veiwing the unthinkable acts that led to the death of two adults and two children in an apparent murder-suicide, had to be relieved from duty after they tried to help process the scene. "They are fathers of small children themselves and this was just too much for them," said Calhoun. "It is hard on all of us especially this time of year." Sheriff Billy Sollie said the names of all those killed are being withheld. He said the two adults were the father and mother of the two children but were not married. Sollie said the father of the deceased male found the carnage around 4:30 p.m. when he came home from work. Lauderdale County Coroner Clayton Cobler placed the time of death around 7:30 a.m. today. Sollie said he was not prepared to say who did the actual shooting and would wait until the investigation had moved further before he released that information. Sollie said the father and his son lived at the home and it appeared the mother and children had just recently been living at the residence. Sollie said the mother's body was found in the living room while one of the children was found in the hallway. The father and the other child were found in a bedroom. Sollie said multiple shots had been fired from a gun that was recovered at the scene. Although there was clear evidence some of the victims had been shot, Sollie said all of the bodies were going to be transported to Jackson for autopsies to determine the exact cause of death. "This is just a terrible thing to happen anytime of the year but for it to be now makes it that much more difficult for this family and others," Sollie said.

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »

A couple days shy of 3 months old:   an angelic monkey

PRECIOUS.  Is it time to hold her yet?  Enjoy and don't spoil her too much.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »

How many Monkeys out there are looking for a white Christmas? We've got a pretty good shot at it this year:   

ME, ME, ME.    

First time since I think they said 1993.  Looking forward to it.

Got the news yesterday from my niece she is going to come here to go to college.  Looking forward to having
her here in her fathers home town. I told her I didn't want to get any calls on her partying up on the Hill and she said not to worry she was a good girl.  Ha! Ha! We will see. 

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »

Wishing everyone a safe and Merry Christmas full of love, friends and family, food and peace.

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »

Wishing everyone a safe and Merry Christmas full of love, friends and family, food and peace.

Wishing you and your family happiness at Christmas and good health in the New Year.  For you particularly Northern, I wish just a little bit naughty! 

Thanks for all you contribute researcher extraordinaire!  an angelic monkey  
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »

Merry Christmas Monkeys!

x o x o x o x o x o x o x o x o
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

Merry Christmas Monkey friends! you all are the very best! 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »

Merry Christmas Monkey friends! you all are the very best! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2010, 08:55:20 PM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY MONKEY FRIENDS   

It is snowing and the ground is covered.  First snow in over 19 years and we will have a white Christmas.
It is beautiful and I love it.

Enjoy the holidays and stay safe.  an angelic monkey an angelic monkey

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »

<a href="http://www.satisfaction.com/christmas-countdown-generator/countdown1.swf" target="_blank">http://www.satisfaction.com/christmas-countdown-generator/countdown1.swf</a>
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.