March 28, 2024, 11:06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #57 12/17/10 - 4/17/11  (Read 308604 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »

Over the last few days, I have backed up and installed Windows7 on x1 PC and x1 laptop .  Now it's time to do my MAIN PC.  In the process of backing up everything now and am currently working off the laptop.  I've already backed up my emails and address book and found registration keys for all downloaded programs.  Trying not to forget anything.  

The old PC my husband will use mostly foe iTunes and his new iPod.  The sound card didn't work but I found an external usb soundcard for $10 that works great!  So my husband is all set!  

Klaas? Is windows 7 the one that is supposed to be a lot like an improved Windows 98? I want that one! I managed to avoid Vista.......... I hated it whenever I had to use it!

Can I buy you a ticket to come do that for me? It would be cheaper than paying my tech guy!! 

It is way better than Vista and pretty cool.  I'm still getting used to it and transferring programs.  Have alot to set up still.  Currently I have no photoshop but my son is going to send me a bunch of stuff 

I got Windows7 for 3 PC's as my Christmas gift from my husband.  I have uploaded on all 3 now.   

When you say backing up are you using an external hard drive, or moving the programs or info from one PC to the next, or is it part of the process in downloading Windows 7?  If and when we can buy a new computer, there is stuff on this old one we'd like to save.  I know that some programs will be lost because we don't have the software.  Web based mail or photo storage should be okay, I would think...like yahoo, hotmail, photobucket, etc. 

The way I understand it Vista to Windows7 is pretty clear cut you run a simple upgrade with the disc and your old files and programs are saved.  Unfortunately, I had XP on all 3.  With XP you have to do a complete reinstallation so to speak and you need to backup everything you want to save.  Luckily for me I didn't have anything I needed to save on the old PC or the laptop.  On my main PC I backed up everything to my external drive.  First I had to take everything off my external drive (41g of stuff) and move to my PC.  Then I had to reformat my external to NTSF from FAT32. Then I had to move the 41g of files back.  Then I made a copy of my emails and my address book and put that on the external.  It was at that point I did the full backup and put it on the external.  Then I unplugged the external.

That's when I ran the Windows7 disc on thisi PC.  I still have a couple files to get back on this PC, Photoshop is the one I'm missing the most.  I have an old Photoshop disc but my son is going to send me new.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2011, 11:33:42 AM »

Over the last few days, I have backed up and installed Windows7 on x1 PC and x1 laptop .  Now it's time to do my MAIN PC.  In the process of backing up everything now and am currently working off the laptop.  I've already backed up my emails and address book and found registration keys for all downloaded programs.  Trying not to forget anything.  

The old PC my husband will use mostly foe iTunes and his new iPod.  The sound card didn't work but I found an external usb soundcard for $10 that works great!  So my husband is all set!  

Klaas? Is windows 7 the one that is supposed to be a lot like an improved Windows 98? I want that one! I managed to avoid Vista.......... I hated it whenever I had to use it!

Can I buy you a ticket to come do that for me? It would be cheaper than paying my tech guy!! 

It is way better than Vista and pretty cool.  I'm still getting used to it and transferring programs.  Have alot to set up still.  Currently I have no photoshop but my son is going to send me a bunch of stuff 

I got Windows7 for 3 PC's as my Christmas gift from my husband.  I have uploaded on all 3 now.   

When you say backing up are you using an external hard drive, or moving the programs or info from one PC to the next, or is it part of the process in downloading Windows 7?  If and when we can buy a new computer, there is stuff on this old one we'd like to save.  I know that some programs will be lost because we don't have the software.  Web based mail or photo storage should be okay, I would think...like yahoo, hotmail, photobucket, etc. 

The way I understand it Vista to Windows7 is pretty clear cut you run a simple upgrade with the disc and your old files and programs are saved.  Unfortunately, I had XP on all 3.  With XP you have to do a complete reinstallation so to speak and you need to backup everything you want to save.  Luckily for me I didn't have anything I needed to save on the old PC or the laptop.  On my main PC I backed up everything to my external drive.  First I had to take everything off my external drive (41g of stuff) and move to my PC.  Then I had to reformat my external to NTSF from FAT32. Then I had to move the 41g of files back.  Then I made a copy of my emails and my address book and put that on the external.  It was at that point I did the full backup and put it on the external.  Then I unplugged the external.

That's when I ran the Windows7 disc on thisi PC.  I still have a couple files to get back on this PC, Photoshop is the one I'm missing the most.  I have an old Photoshop disc but my son is going to send me new.

Thanks, Klaas.  Glad you mentioned the NTSF from FAT32.  Will hope to cross this bridge when we get to it.

A friend mentioned last week that his daughter bought a web cam for their computer at Radio Shack.  It was supposed to be XP compatible, but when they tried, it said they had to upgrade.  Not sure what the specifics were, but he was perfectly happy with returning it, since he really didn't want her to be using it anyway.  There is so much the average user doesn't know. 

Example:  A cousin and her husband needed a new computer and let their SIL order it from Dell.  They were telling us a month ago that they had to keep calling the help desk for this and that, and also couldn't open any attachments in their email.  They were complaining that the tech told them they had to buy software.  I guessed right away that the SIL didn't think of this when he ordered the PC.  They are truly computer ignorant.  I told her that someday when we visit I would take a look at what they had on it.  Not sure when that will happen.  They just read and forward email, play games and use the internet.  They had no idea that documents, powerpoint, pictures, etc. need a program to open them. 

Although I've been removed from the work experience for quite some time that built my computer skills , I am still grateful to have had the opportunity to learn and continue to learn things from others or just from reading. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »

Thanks, Klaas.  Glad you mentioned the NTSF from FAT32.  Will hope to cross this bridge when we get to it.

A friend mentioned last week that his daughter bought a web cam for their computer at Radio Shack.  It was supposed to be XP compatible, but when they tried, it said they had to upgrade.  Not sure what the specifics were, but he was perfectly happy with returning it, since he really didn't want her to be using it anyway.  There is so much the average user doesn't know. 

Example:  A cousin and her husband needed a new computer and let their SIL order it from Dell.  They were telling us a month ago that they had to keep calling the help desk for this and that, and also couldn't open any attachments in their email.  They were complaining that the tech told them they had to buy software.  I guessed right away that the SIL didn't think of this when he ordered the PC.  They are truly computer ignorant.  I told her that someday when we visit I would take a look at what they had on it.  Not sure when that will happen.  They just read and forward email, play games and use the internet.  They had no idea that documents, powerpoint, pictures, etc. need a program to open them. 

Although I've been removed from the work experience for quite some time that built my computer skills , I am still grateful to have had the opportunity to learn and continue to learn things from others or just from reading. 

Me too 2NJ in fact I think I've learned more than when I was working. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2011, 08:24:30 PM »

Don't miss the Dana Pretzer show tonight at 9pm ET:

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »

My solution to Windows 7....I bought a new laptop....lol.

I do love Windows 7 and my very favorite toy is their "stickies" - which allow you to
keep all sorts of important notes right there in front of you....or behind a screen.
This helps you with doctor's appointments, birthdays, anniversaries or your grocery list or any fleeting thought.

Klaas and mods and monkeys....hope you are having a wonderful New Year.   

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »

I do love Windows 7 and my very favorite toy is their "stickies" - which allow you to
keep all sorts of important notes right there in front of you....or behind a screen.
This helps you with doctor's appointments, birthdays, anniversaries or your grocery list or any fleeting thought.

Mere I like your way of thinking

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »

Thanks, Mere, I hope your New Year is joyful and one to look back at next year and sigh with contentment.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »

Hi Mere, I hope you are having a good new year too.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »

I happen to change the TV and I am watching a show called My Strange Addiction.  This one girl eats chalk and this other woman eats comet.  YUK.  I have to change the channel now I can't watching much more.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »

I happen to change the TV and I am watching a show called My Strange Addiction.  This one girl eats chalk and this other woman eats comet.  YUK.  I have to change the channel now I can't watching much more.

The Comet Chomper stays really regular, I bet! Just sayin'. 

It's the hoarder's show I can't watch. Left totally alone, without outside pressures, John has real potential!   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »

Wonderful to see you, Mere! 

I hope your New Year is off to a great start, and just keeps getting better and better!   
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »

saw the commercial for that show..and another girl who only talks through her puppet? weird..

crazybabyborg
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »

saw the commercial for that show..and another girl who only talks through her puppet? weird..

ROFL!!!

Please tell me "puppet" isn't a nickname for a body part! 
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »

Then there is the Casey Anthony addiction, she is addicted to Baez!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »

The Comet Chomper stays really regular, I bet! Just sayin'. 

It's the hoarder's show I can't watch. Left totally alone, without outside pressures, John has real potential!   

But before the item hits the ground, you will have it cleaned, ironed and properly disposed of.

I believe in miracles!
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2011, 06:06:18 AM »

I happen to change the TV and I am watching a show called My Strange Addiction.  This one girl eats chalk and this other woman eats comet.  YUK.  I have to change the channel now I can't watching much more.

ROFL!!!

OMG the girl with the puppet saw a therapist and the therapist told her that she believes she was living her life through the puppet. So the girls mother said what else did the therapist say and the girl goes she said she thinks she should start living her life without the puppet and go out some times and leave the puppet home.  The mother goes I think that is a good idea don't you?  The girl was sitting there with the puppet and all of a sudden the puppet goes I think that's a bad idea  

I didn't expect her to answer through the puppet because they were having a serious conversation 
crazybabyborg
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »

I happen to change the TV and I am watching a show called My Strange Addiction.  This one girl eats chalk and this other woman eats comet.  YUK.  I have to change the channel now I can't watching much more.

ROFL!!!

OMG the girl with the puppet saw a therapist and the therapist told her that she believes she was living her life through the puppet. So the girls mother said what else did the therapist say and the girl goes she said she thinks she should start living her life without the puppet and go out some times and leave the puppet home.  The mother goes I think that is a good idea don't you?  The girl was sitting there with the puppet and all of a sudden the puppet goes I think that's a bad idea  I didn't expect her to answer through the puppet because they were having a serious conversation 

OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!!! 

I have coffee up my sinuses......... swear!   
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »

CBB,

I like your Betty's, Valentine's avatar, the composition is interesting, I love that the heart is off center, nice.

If anyone needs to sew a heart pillow:

http://sewing.about.com/od/holidaysandoccasions/ss/free-heart-shaped-pillow-sewing-pattern.htm?nl=1

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:11 AM »

CBB,

I like your Betty's, Valentine's avatar, the composition is interesting, I love that the heart is off center, nice.

http://sewing.about.com/od/holidaysandoccasions/ss/free-heart-shaped-pillow-sewing-pattern.htm?nl=1

Good morning seahorse    Thank you for posting the heart pillow link.  I just got a sewing machine and haven't sewn since way back in home ec, and the heart pillow looks like it would be fun to do for Valentine's Day as a gift.  I think I've made enough place mats and table runners   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #239 on: January 07, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »

CBB,

Good morning seahorse    Thank you for posting the heart pillow link.  I just got a sewing machine and haven't sewn since way back in home ec, and the heart pillow looks like it would be fun to do for Valentine's Day as a gift.  I think I've made enough place mats and table runners   

When my son was in high school, he was in a sewing class one quarter and made me a heart shape throw pillow.  I still have it to this day.  Moths have gotten to it some and it's been in storage and moved around more than you can imagine but I have it in a safe place on display  an angelic monkey
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.