March 28, 2024, 09:53:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #57 12/17/10 - 4/17/11  (Read 308546 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »

GE........ I'm fine!  I'll watch for updates from you!  an angelic monkey

Monkeys know all so I'm looking for advice......... on cleaning a marble floor. YUK!!

I'm moving to Mom's house next month. Well, it's actually mine now, but it will always be Mom and Dad's. There's a marble foyer that was always a big deal to clean when I was growing up. Mom always had it stripped once a year....... I think with something like Comet or Ajax........ maybe even rinsed with an ammonia dilution. It was a hard job, done on knees with a lot of elbow grease. After it was stripped and thoroughly rinsed cleaned, I know she had several coats of an acrylic sealer put on, called "Future". It was liquid and clear, and man, did the floor shine after it dried! It was just evenly applied with a soft cloth. The floor is Tennessee pink marble (if you've ever been to the Capitol building in Washington, they used it there too) and just beautiful when it's well maintained. She had a buffer that was easy to use (my job growing up), that kept it in great shape until it was time to strip again.

It's been years and years since the floor has been well tended and it's dull and scratched. I want to get it back to the way it looked. I'll be doing it myself, but haven't seen "Future" in years, and am not 100% sure of what was used to strip it. I threw out Mom's buffer when she died. It still ran, but you could no longer buy the replacement pads.

Anybody got any ideas?

I think I need to do this for "psychological" reasons.  The house is in SUCH need of updating. The kitchen is PINK.... I mean we're talking pink formica countertops with a silver trim. OMG! I just googled pink formica and here it is!! Anybody remember this? Anyway, getting the foyer in good shape is a plus that I'm going to need since I'm going to have to tackle things slowly and as I can! Get a load of this:   
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »

Monkeys know all so I'm looking for advice......... on cleaning a marble floor. YUK!!

I'm moving to Mom's house next month. Well, it's actually mine now, but it will always be Mom and Dad's. There's a marble foyer that was always a big deal to clean when I was growing up. Mom always had it stripped once a year....... I think with something like Comet or Ajax........ maybe even rinsed with an ammonia dilution. It was a hard job, done on knees with a lot of elbow grease. After it was stripped and thoroughly rinsed cleaned, I know she had several coats of an acrylic sealer put on, called "Future". It was liquid and clear, and man, did the floor shine after it dried! It was just evenly applied with a soft cloth. The floor is Tennessee pink marble (if you've ever been to the Capitol building in Washington, they used it there too) and just beautiful when it's well maintained. She had a buffer that was easy to use (my job growing up), that kept it in great shape until it was time to strip again.

It's been years and years since the floor has been well tended and it's dull and scratched. I want to get it back to the way it looked. I'll be doing it myself, but haven't seen "Future" in years, and am not 100% sure of what was used to strip it. I threw out Mom's buffer when she died. It still ran, but you could no longer buy the replacement pads.

Anybody got any ideas?

I think I need to do this for "psychological" reasons.  The house is in SUCH need of updating. The kitchen is PINK.... I mean we're talking pink formica countertops with a silver trim. OMG! I just googled pink formica and here it is!! Anybody remember this? Anyway, getting the foyer in good shape is a plus that I'm going to need since I'm going to have to tackle things slowly and as I can! Get a load of this:   

CBB,
http://www.ehow.com/way_5374383_marble-floor-refinishing.html

I just searched and found this site with suggestion about the stripping of the marble.  Gosh, iirc, Future was a wax/polish that was used on flooring before the 'no wax' tiles were sold.  I remember using it.  The site does still mention having to buff the marble more than once to smooth it out.  Maybe you can rent one....I know that could be an expense.

My MIL used to clean some local banks years ago and I helped her at the one closest to our home.  At the time, there was a stone or slate flooring at the counter area.  We vacuumed and mopped it regularly, but when the finish got dull, we'd apply some kind of sealer that was made specifically for that kind of surface.  I'm sure you might be able to find something at Home Depot or Lowes.  It smelled but looked beautiful when dry.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:21 PM »

Anybody got any ideas?

Maybe you could try a steam mop.  I have one and I do my floors all the time with it and the shine is unreal.  Steam really cleans up any mess on my floors and I would not go back to a regular mop or down on my  knees cleaning.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »

an angelic monkey

Just absolutely adorable.  Look at that face and smile.  I love it.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #264 on: January 09, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »

I don't have marble floors, but I have 17" tiles, and I use a bucket of water with about 1/2 cup of  white vinegar in it to clean with.  I had tried other cleaners, but it left a light haze and I had to rinse.  Not with the vinegar water.  It leaves a light shine and the vinegar smell goes away.  The white vinegar is good because it also works to discourage mold or bacteria growth, not to mention that it's cheap.

For the marble, I wouldn't use any kind of wax like Future.  There are different sealers that can be bought from Home Depot, Lowe's or even a tile company.  Maybe call a tile installation company and ask for product advice for diy.  Or, the good old web.  However, I've seen things on the web that aren't always so great... JMHO   I have granite countertops that came "sealed' and I use a cleaner/conditioner on them, but have read they need to be sealed every couple of years. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #265 on: January 09, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »

This has some interesting instructions as well for cleaning marble tile, mostly showing products you can buy of course.

http://www.countertopspecialty.com/restoring-old-marble-floor-tiles.html

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #266 on: January 09, 2011, 05:42:18 PM »

This looks like a good resource:

http://www.marble-institute.com/consumerresources/care.cfm

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »

I have marble shower and floor in a bathroom..It was sealed. I hope that I don't have to have a lot of maintenance with it! was told that marble does scratch easily.so keep that in mind when you clean it with certain cleaners that could be abrasive... it is so pretty, but I hope that it won't require me to do special things to it!  cause I am rather lazy..

also, what kind of steam mop is the best? is it good for hard wood floors too? thanks a bunch

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #268 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »

I have marble shower and floor in a bathroom..It was sealed. I hope that I don't have to have a lot of maintenance with it! was told that marble does scratch easily.so keep that in mind when you clean it with certain cleaners that could be abrasive... it is so pretty, but I hope that it won't require me to do special things to it!  cause I am rather lazy..

also, what kind of steam mop is the best? is it good for hard wood floors too? thanks a bunch

Cookie, I use the Shark steam mop.  Most important thing to do before you use the steam mop is make sure you vacuum up the floor really good.  They now make a Shark steam mop/vac so it vacuums up and then steam the floor all at the same time.   I personally would not pay the extra money for a vac and then mop but that's just me.  Yes the steam mop does all kinds of floors.  My kitchen and bathrooms floor are so clean and they shine when it drys which is almost immediately.  Like I said I would never go back to the regular mop or getting down on my knees to clean.

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #269 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »

CBB,

Maybe go to the local bank and see who does their marble floors and give them a call. TN, marble, to me, is one of the prettiest in the world! Next is from Siena, Italy.

Of course, I am partial to "Indiana" limestone. CBB, Heard pink was the "in" color for this year, but sure do understand how "disturbing" a pink kitchen could be. I read somewhere that red is supposed to make you eat more. Wonder if pink means the color helps loose weight? Pink and black was very big in the 50's. Going down the color scale then that would mean while means starving and lots of people have white kitchens and don't starve 

Klaas, what a beautiful child! So sparkling!

All Monkeys, stay warm, safe watch out for ice and black ice.

Sad weekend for America. God help all those in need and suffering. The little girl, according to her dad on CNN, was born on Sept. 11, a tragic day and died on a tragic day. How sad for everyone. God Bless them.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2011, 04:11:18 AM »

I knew it! You guys are really the absolute best in the world!! Thanks for all the tips, suggestions and resources!  I've looked at them all, and surely I can figure it out with the help!

My suspicion is that there is still a residual of the "future" on the floor, so I guess that the first order of business is to figure out how to strip everything off of it. That stuff never did come off easily! Yeah, IBE, it really is pretty marble; a rich mixture of pink and gray and when treated as it should be, it almost has depth. There's lots and lots that's pretty discouraging about the house that I'm just going to have to adjust to until I can find the funds to change, so making that floor pretty again is a real spirit lifter for me! I'll post some pictures when I get moved........... it will be like a stroll down memory lane; kind of a cross between the Brady Bunch, Green Acres and Leave It To Beaver! 

Thanks All!!   
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »

Cookie, I use the Shark steam mop.  Most important thing to do before you use the steam mop is make sure you vacuum up the floor really good.  They now make a Shark steam mop/vac so it vacuums up and then steam the floor all at the same time.   I personally would not pay the extra money for a vac and then mop but that's just me.  Yes the steam mop does all kinds of floors.  My kitchen and bathrooms floor are so clean and they shine when it drys which is almost immediately.  Like I said I would never go back to the regular mop or getting down on my knees to clean.

thanks Blue...think that I will get one today...

Blumonkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

Earth hath no sorrow that heaven cannot heal. TM

« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »

I knew it! You guys are really the absolute best in the world!! Thanks for all the tips, suggestions and resources!  I've looked at them all, and surely I can figure it out with the help!

My suspicion is that there is still a residual of the "future" on the floor, so I guess that the first order of business is to figure out how to strip everything off of it. That stuff never did come off easily! Yeah, IBE, it really is pretty marble; a rich mixture of pink and gray and when treated as it should be, it almost has depth. There's lots and lots that's pretty discouraging about the house that I'm just going to have to adjust to until I can find the funds to change, so making that floor pretty again is a real spirit lifter for me! I'll post some pictures when I get moved........... it will be like a stroll down memory lane; kind of a cross between the Brady Bunch, Green Acres and Leave It To Beaver! 

Thanks All!!   
One cup of ammonia in one gallon hot water will strip the Future ( wax ) from the floor. I purchased a buffer from Oreck and love it ! Be careful with the ammonia fumes and ventilate the area while you work if possible.

I thank God for what I have and trust God for what I need.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »

bought  a shark ..just assembled it..will let you know how I like it..

starwynn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »

This post is in regards to SINUS FLUSHING (ahhh yes, glamorous!).  But it's that time of year, the time where either it's warm/cold/warm/cold, or we're stuck inside, or people are just having colds/sinus issues, and this really does come in handy.

I had been telling some sniffly-monkeys about a time when I had a sinus infection for at least a month.  I usually have had allergies, but this was really bad.  I couldn't seem to do anything to fix it - not antibiotics, not patience, and it was at the point where I was beginning to have a horrible smell in my sinuses.  It was a nightmare.

On the advice of my aunt, who is and has been a huge advocate for "nasal irrigation" for ages, I broke down and bought a "neti pot" to flush my sinuses.

Neti pots have been around for ages; certain cultures swear by nasal irrigation, for cleansing and health benefits, and now I know why!  Usually the water is tepid, and it is a mixture of water and a special salt that you mix to make a saline mixture that is close to the salinity of our own mucous membranes.  I believe it's slightly MORE saline, which helps to kill fungus and excessive bacteria in our sinuses that are the culprits of our problems.  I have found that it seems to help reduce stuffiness and inflammation of my nasal passages.

And how about that sinus infection?  Well it kicked it's tush!  The problem was finally gone within a week.  I have used it since (just in case that was a fluke) any time I have any bad nasal irritation, severe allergies, etc and it continues to work as it did the first time.  I really should use it more often, preventatively.  Maybe that can be a new-year's resolution for me!  Smile

As for the "equipment", you can now easily find "neti pots" at most of your local Walgreens, etc, and even little batches of the packets for saline.  You may be able to find alternatives online for frugality.  I don't know why you couldn't use a baby's ear syringe, for example.

The first time you do it, I'll admit - it is just weird and a little horrible.  Basically, you are pouring water in one side of your nose and, with your head tilted at a very specific angle* the water goes through your sinuses, breaking up and moisturing stuff, into the other side of your nose and out into a sink.  Again, the salinity of the water has a bit of an antiseptic effect without damaging the GOOD bacteria in your nose that help us from getting skin infections and yeast infections in our skin/nose.  I feel that maybe the salinty of the water also helps draw out a little inflammation, but that is conjecture at this point - I'd have to research.

Some articles you might find interesting about the process, and to give you the CORRECT* WAY of doing this.

AGAIN<-------------> Do not just attempt to do this after reading this, because I've described it incompletely.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/allergiesasthma/a/SinusIrrigation.htm  (How to make the solution at home using a baby's ear syringe or a bulb)
http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm  has a video - yucky, but erm - useful.
http://www.achooallergy.com/sinus-nasaflo.asp   A little paid blurb about the most commonly found Neti pot, and some reviews if you want to see what others think.

I hope that some of you are able to make use of this information to feel better!  Take care.  Nathalie

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »

I got my husband the neti pot this evening...he said that it helped..I told him to use it every day for at least a week..he tends to stop using something once it works the first time...he never listens to me but perhaps he will this time since he is so miserable..with this neti pot, the mixture came with it...easy to mix and use..
thanks for the tip..hope that it makes him feel better soon...xxxxxx

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »

Had a doctor's appt. last week and mentioned that the only problem I had was sinus congestion. He gave me a brochure of something similar to a neti pot I guess. Said it was the best thing he had ever found and he used it regularly.
It's called NeilMed Sinus Rinse. It comes with an 8 oz bottle, cap, Fifty regular premixed packets and an Educational Brochure. SRP is $11.49.
I think with a neti pot, you have to buy the packets separately. I know 50 sounds like a lot, so don't know which would be the best buy.

2 4 1
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #277 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:37 AM »

hubs tried the netipot last night and this morning and he says that it worked really well! he was happy with the results which is fab!
thank you for the info on it!
the neti pot that I got for him had 50 packets with it...
I saw that rinse too and maybe I will get it as well...
hope that this cures his problems with his sinuses..he had sinus surgery a few months ago but is still getting the headaches...

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:14 AM »

Cookie, I think they both use the same rinse. If you already have the Neti Pot I wouldn't get the other one. I just remember seeing the Neti Pot in Wally World and didn't think it came with any saline packets. I admit, I wasn't really paying that much attention at the time.

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #279 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »

My mom and son both use the Neilmed Sinus Rinse.  They buy a box of saline packet refills by Neilmed, with 100 packets.  These packets could be used for the Neti pot too    Mom and son have both have had sinus surgery and struggled with allergies and such, and they have found using the Neilmed on a daily basis when their allergies are in high season is helpful.  It rinses out the allergens and etc.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.