March 28, 2024, 02:02:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #57 12/17/10 - 4/17/11  (Read 308506 times)
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #340 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »

Where has San been?

Hey San - big week for you this week 

Hi Nonesuche good to see you.  Hope things are good with you 

I need my San fix - gimme a big HUG pretty please? 

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #341 on: January 19, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »

Where has San been?

Hey San - big week for you this week 

Hi Nonesuche good to see you.  Hope things are good with you 

I need my San fix - gimme a big HUG pretty please? 

Isn't that a little out of San's character?   

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #342 on: January 19, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »

Hi, San!   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #343 on: January 19, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

Hi, San!   

Hi San    Hi 2NJ

MuffyBee     

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #344 on: January 20, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »

WOW OWOWW Wowwwww

Baby Kidnapped From Harlem Hospital Found 23 Years Later
Updated 10 mins ago
January 19, 2011 5:12pm 

Carlina White
http://www.dnainfo.com/20110119/harlem/baby-kidnapped-from-harlem-hospital-found-23-years-later

this story is on GMA now!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2011, 05:47:49 AM »

Sundance Review: 'Project Nim'
By Daniel Fienberg - James Marsh's fascinating doc tries to understand people trying to understand a chimp
Friday, Jan 21, 2011 5:13 AM

PARK CITY, UTAH - If you know me, or if you're a regular reader, you may be aware that I dig monkeys. I'm a sucker for greeting cards with monkeys, stuffed monkeys and, under the right circumstances, I enjoy a good monkey-driven piece of cinema.

At this moment, though, I'm feeling a bit guilty for my simian fascination and I'm definitely regretting any jokes I might have made about someday dreaming of having my own monkey-butler.

I can't guarantee that the guilt will last very long. At the Sundance Film Festival, you never lack for films to generate guilt and I may have turned my attentions to the environment, the Middle East or gender repression by the time you read the review.

But in this moment, I'm all too aware that it's hard out there for a chimp.

If that were the only message of James Marsh's new documentary "Project Nim," that would probably be enough. But Marsh's follow-up to the Oscar-winning "Man on Wire" is more than just a story about the way humans treat animals, the way we express our power over the weak and the way we impress human values upon creatures who have no use for or understanding of our particular version of domestication.

"Project Nim" is a gripping animal biopic that takes audiences on a journey that begins with laugher, amusement and bemusement and ends, at least in the case of several viewers around me, with tears. It's a gracefully crafted documentary and I suspect it will play well for audiences on a variety of levels.

More thoughts on "Project Nim" after the break...

"Project Nim" begins in 1973 with Columbia Professor Herbert Terrace's idea to bring up a chimpanzee in an exclusively human environment, to raise the chimp as a child, teach the chimp to use sign language and to generally push the extremes of the "nurture" side of the "nature vs. nurture" argument. To that end, Herb took Nim away from his mother as an infant and moved him into a ritzy Upper West Side apartment to be brought up by Stephanie LaFarge as part of her already unsteady blended family.

The study is scientifically flawed on a number of levels, but the major problem is that with media-obsessed absentee Herb and anything-goes, no-limits hippie Stephanie, Nim was cursed with the unsteadiest background imaginable for human development. As Nim gets passed from one surrogate parent to another, gets moved from one home to another, watches one teacher after another depart for reasons stemming from human inconstancy and frailty, he responds in a way similar to how any confused product of a broken home would respond. There's certainly a layer of "Project Nim" that's about the way humans parent their own children.

Except that Nim isn't a child. He's a chimp and much of "Project Nim" focuses on the bafflement expressed by a team of supposedly educated people when they realize that a young chimp might not develop in the same way as a young child.

The first third of "Project Nim" is quite funny. Nim was an adorable little chimp and no matter how puerile it may sound, if somebody shows you a chimpanzee in a leisure suit, you're going to laugh.

But more of the laughter comes from the sheer folly that all involved brought to this project. Marsh has all of the principles from the project available for on-camera interviews and their lack of self-awareness, more than 30 years after the project began, is astounding. They're an amazing assortment of characters, starting with Professor Terrace, who barely blinks in admitting his tendency to hire attractive assistants and eventually bed them, setting a backdrop of sexual promiscuity that would contribute to the instability of Nim's upbringing. We also chuckle, at least for a while, at LaFarge's embarrassingly laissez faire approach to parenting her new "child" and a level of anthropomorphizing that goes from inoffensively silly (the aforementioned monkey leisure suit) to eventually dangerous.

Watching "Project Nim," I repeatedly flashed back to Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man," another film about the sad consequences of reading a whole catalogue of human behaviors onto a wild animal simply because of isolated familiar traits. There are obvious differences that contribute to making "Project Nim" even more tragic in places. To begin with, Tim Treadwell was a dilettante, while the folks associated with Project Nim were empirically brilliant, even if it didn't show in their execution. Also, you don't have to believe in evolution to recognize that chimpanzees are a lot more like people than bears are, so the anthropomorphizing is easier to understand, but its consequences are as well. And finally, speaking of consequences, if you slip up around a mammoth bear, the bear will just eat you. If you screw up a juvenile chimp, the chimp is the one likely to get hurt.

[Oddly, as often as I thought about "Grizzly Man," I thought even more frequently about "Gremlins." People like to start with something cute and we like to think that because we can read love in big watery eyes and a few reassuring speech-like communications and then when animals become animalistic, we get confused. We're not ready for mogwai and we're probably not ready for monkey either. If the first half of "Project Nim" is about treating a chimp as a child, the second half is about how you handle a chimp who has been raised as a child, but remains a chimp.]

Marsh combines his awkwardly honest talking heads with an amazing wealth of archival footage, both images and home movies, of Nim's upbringing. And where there were gaps in available resources, Marsh has inserted bridging reenactments that never feel jarring. Edited by Jinx Godfrey, "Project Nim" plays as a biopic, simultaneously anthropomorphizing Nim with an ever-so-human emotional arc, while never failing to acknowledge the impossibilities of truly understanding the feelings and motivations of its main character. Because of that "You think you know, but you really can't possibly know" undercurrent, Nim's life plays out in a series of unexpected twists, even as Marsh uses traditional elements like sex, drugs and abuse to form the structure.

The actual Project Nim was about trying to understand the things that go on in the mind of a chimp. But Marsh knows that his hero can't sit down for an interview of his own, so "Project Nim" the documentary is about trying to understand the things that go on in the mind of people. In that respect, it's actually similar to "Man on Wire," which looked at tightrope walker Philippe Petit and said "What on Earth would make a man want to do that?" With "Man on Wire," Marsh found an enchanting answer. With "Project Nim," Marsh found only a string of confounding questions.

It's an intriguing conceit and the execution pushes all manner of emotional buttons. "Project Nim" was a great way to kick off the Sundance Film Festival.
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-fien-print/posts/sundance-review-project-nim

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
luvmyboys
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #346 on: January 21, 2011, 04:40:06 PM »

I know that this is out there but I need help. Can someone please email me a website that I can go to. To look up someone's criminal history. My sister is in a bad situation right now and I need to see what I can find out about this guy fast!! My email is. hope121971@yahoo.com thanks Smile
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:27:26 PM by klaasend » Logged
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #347 on: January 22, 2011, 01:10:48 PM »

Hello Monkeys!

Anybody make their own pasta's?  Any do's and don'ts for making pasta?  I would love to experiment and would appreciate any advice you could give.
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #348 on: January 22, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »

Wish I could help you with the pasta. Do you have a machine?  I'll bet Cappy could give you some good advice. She does all the Italian cooking.

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #349 on: January 22, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »

I have to vent! I have seen where some Monkeys were talking about knitting, crochet and such. I am in the process of making a pair of red wool socks. The wool is very fine, expensive, non-scratchy and wonderful to work with. I have made socks many times using four double pointed needles. I made a pair last year. The only difference is these needles are much smaller and the yarn is finer gauge.

The pattern I have says "intermediate" and I think I am there and probably higher. I have knitted since I was a teenager. But I have had soooooooo much trouble with this pattern and have taken out as many stitches as I have knitted. I keep loosing count, dropping stitches, and it's really not the pattern but me. I am feeling so frustrated with it now I feel like throwing the whole thing in the fireplace. I am now going to have to take out two rows to correct a mistake. It is in a place I can't fudge. God only knows what is going to happen when I get to the part to turn the heel.

I have gone in my bedroom by myself, with not TV, radio, laptop or music just to concentrate. And still I am making mistakes, stupid mistakes. I have put the knitting down for a while when I get frustrated, and have even knitted when I am the freshest. I should have a sock made by now and started on the other one. I might have four inches done.

Usually I find knitting very soothing and relaxing. I like the repetitive nature of it, and it usually turns into mindless work. WTH is going on? I don't expect anyone to respond to this, I just needed to vent!

Back to the knitting. I wonder what wool smells like when it burns? 

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »

Hello Monkeys!

Anybody make their own pasta's?  Any do's and don'ts for making pasta?  I would love to experiment and would appreciate any advice you could give.

Here are a few links I thought might be helpful
http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-pasta
http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/cookingtechniques/ss/freshpasta.htm
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Making-Pasta-Dough/Detail.aspx
http://www.ehow.com/how_2041354_pasta-scratch.html

They make it sound easy. Good Luck 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »

Klaas if you are still around, you might want to change Elizabeth Ennen from endangered runaway to missing, kidnapped. They have arrested the guy she was babysitting for.

I've moved Elizabeth Ennen's thread from "Missing Endangered Runaway" to the "Missing Persons" Forum.

Link to Elizabeth Ennen's thread:

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=9324.0
   Elizabeth Ennen, 15, Missing 1-5-11, Lubbock, Texas
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:46:31 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

2 4 1
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »

I haven't done it yet, but I sure am tempted.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »

Klaas! No need to hang stockings on the fireplace now! Santa won't be around to fill them up again for 11 more months!   

Fanny............ I don't knit, but good luck with your sock project!! Aren't you glad we aren't spiders or octopus with cold feet??     
crazybabyborg
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2011, 01:09:49 AM »

Hello Monkeys!

Make Pasta??   

Sure! I can tell you exactly how to make Pasta................ nothing to it! You buy a box of Pasta. You put on reading glasses so you can read the directions on the box. You boil a lot of salted water and pour in the Pasta from the box. Cooking time is on the box, but if it's been a bad day, just sling some pieces on the wall and when they stick, it's done! If the pieces bounce off the wall and sound like plastic when they hit, you've forgotten to boil them first, but the dogs will love you as the gobble them off the floor!!   

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »

Hello Monkeys!

Make Pasta??   

Sure! I can tell you exactly how to make Pasta................ nothing to it! You buy a box of Pasta. You put on reading glasses so you can read the directions on the box. You boil a lot of salted water and pour in the Pasta from the box. Cooking time is on the box, but if it's been a bad day, just sling some pieces on the wall and when they stick, it's done! If the pieces bounce off the wall and sound like plastic when they hit, you've forgotten to boil them first, but the dogs will love you as the gobble them off the floor!!   

CBB that is how I make mine Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »

Hello Monkeys!

Make Pasta??   

CBB that is how I make mine Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

Me, too, but my hubby's grandmother & mine used to make homemade ravioli and I remember watching my Aunt and her mother making pasta in their kitchen.  That is something I have never thought to attempt.  They used to hang them on lines to dry, so to speak.  Eating them was more memorable.  Yum. 

Good luck to KC Jackie and I hope she posts the 'results' if she does make the attempt.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

amaranthblossom
Scared Monkey

EX-TER-MI-NAAATTTEEEE

« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »

oooh, homemade pasta 8D
yummy! I could go for some of that. Mind bringing some over? :3

On a completley unrelated note, and I do apologize if I'm too late for that.
1. Heyo! I'm new here
and
2. Can I please redesign the emoticons? I'm an art major so I'd know what I'm doing and they could use a bit of an upgrade.

Do art, not murder.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #359 on: January 23, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »

oooh, homemade pasta 8D
yummy! I could go for some of that. Mind bringing some over? :3

On a completley unrelated note, and I do apologize if I'm too late for that.
1. Heyo! I'm new here
and
2. Can I please redesign the emoticons? I'm an art major so I'd know what I'm doing and they could use a bit of an upgrade.

Welcome Amaranthblossom!  Redesign the emoticons?  LOLOL  We have many very unique ones here don't you think?   
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.