March 28, 2024, 06:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaiser Worth $40 Million In Dues For SEIU  (Read 1598 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 08, 2010, 07:24:37 AM »

Apparently, union dues are big business.

Kaiser workers to stay in service employees union

Written by SAM HANANEL   
Friday, 08 October 2010 06:12

WASHINGTON (AP) 10/7/2010 10:18 PM

Thousands of California health care workers at Kaiser Permanente have decided to stay with the Service Employees International Union rather than bolt for an upstart rival.

The voting was the nation's biggest private sector union election since 1941.

The National Labor Relations Board said Thursday that 62 percent of Kaiser's 43,000 workers voted for the 2 million-member SEIU over the newly created National Union of Healthcare Workers.

With its victory, the SEIU keeps more than $40 million a year in membership dues and can try to move past a dispute that has cost millions. A loss would have threatened the union's clout in the health care industry and Democratic political circles, where it's a major player.

read more here - http://www.gouverneurtimes.com/gt-business-article/19223-kaiser-workers-to-stay-in-service-employees-union-.html

With such strong union ties, is Kaiser an unbiased provider of healthcare opinions?  Should folks be more skeptical of Kaiser and it's conclusions about what's best for Americans health?  Our healthcare system?

When is Homeland Security or ICE going to check the employment records of Kaiser looking for illegal aliens?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:12 AM »

In a statement, NUHW President Sal Rosselli said his group "will exhaust every opportunity to achieve a fair election for Kaiser workers to choose their union, free of fear and intimidation."

The SEIU-NUHW battle has disheartened labor activists because it has diverted money and foot soldiers from efforts to organize non-union workers and help elect Democrats in the Nov. 2 midterm elections.

NUHW's officers launched their organization after SEIU ousted them for refusing to go along with the transfer of thousands of members of their local to another chapter, a shift they denounced as undemocratic. The local, known as United Healthcare Workers West, was placed in trusteeship and NUHW began filing for elections to replace SEIU at hospitals and clinics up and down the state.

On Thursday, NUHW said it would have won the Kaiser contest if it had not been delayed for more than a year by objections filed by SEIU with the National Labor Relations Board. The new union also has accused Kaiser of colluding with SEIU, which the company denies.

read more here - http://www.latimes.com/health/healthcare/la-me-seiu-kaiser-20101008,0,1041767.story

Is electing 'Democrats' the goal of the union?  Maybe this is why the mall was empty for the unity rally?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.