April 23, 2024, 08:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker 10, last seen 2:30am at home, Hickory, NC #1 10/10/10-10/13/10  (Read 242613 times)
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »

thanks klaas,  in the vid she has a pretty smile

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »

s donate hearing aids to 81 people

May 10th, 2010 on News 14 Top Stories

A 10-year-old girl who battled and beat cancer received a new gift to help her recovery. Zahra Baker was one of 81 people who received free hearing aids to improve their quality of life Monday at the Charlotte Motor Speedway

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »

A 10-year-old girl who battled and beat cancer received a new gift to help her recovery. Zahra Baker was one of 81 people who received free hearing aids to improve their quality of life Monday at the Charlotte Motor Speedway

So cancer likely the reason for her loss of limb.  Poor kid.  She looks like such a fighter. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »

http://www2.independenttribune.com/news/2010/may/11/speedway-childrens-charity-helps-bring-hearing-tho-ar-248536/

Speedway Children's Charity helps bring hearing to those in need
By Jonathan Coleman
Published: May 11, 2010
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment
vote
nowBuzz up!

When asked, most race fans will admit that, apart from the speed, the sound of NASCAR is perhaps one of the sport's greatest draws.

Cheering fans, roaring engines and squealing tires all bring the excitement of racing to life.

Now imagine only being able to take in this month's races at Charlotte Motor Speedway visually - without the sounds that truly make the experience complete.

No cheers. No roars. Just silence.

That was the reality facing some of the more than 75 hearing-impaired people who gathered in Victory Lane at the speedway on Monday, where Speedway Children's Charities, in conjunction with the National Rifle Association and the Starkey Hearing Foundation delivered hearing aids to children and adults in need.

Ten-year-old Zahra Baker was all smiles as she was fitted with her device.

Baker lost her hearing during chemotherapy treatments for two bouts of cancer.

According to her mother, Elesa, Baker suffers from what is known as high frequency hearing loss. As such, she has a difficult time hearing "s" and "f" sounds.

A hearing resource teacher at Baker's school in Hudson, N.C. mentioned the Speedway Children's Charity giveaway to Elesa, who jumped at the chance to help her daughter regain her normal hearing.

"She said this would be a wonderful opportunity to open up other opportunities," Elesa said.

Elesa, who fought back tears as volunteers walked her daughter through how to use the new hearing device, said she looked forward to the opportunities the gift will bring Zahra - opportunities to better understand her teachers and friends at school, and better communicate with her family.

As Baker was being fitting for the hearing aid, NASCAR legend Richard Petty stood nearby.

Petty first met Starkey Hearing Foundation founder and CEO Bill Austin more than a decade ago.

"I've been around race cars since I was 11 years old," Petty said. "I didn't realize my hearing was going because it was little by little."

Petty said he didn't know what he was missing until Starkey fitted him with a hearing aid.

"The first time he put one in, I heard a newspaper rattle," Petty remembered. "It had been so long that I'd forgotten what that sounded like. For people who haven't known hearing loss, it's hard to understand."

And understanding is exactly what motivates Austin to continue to help children and adults to hear.

"Eighty percent of what we learn comes through the ear," Austin said. "We wouldn't have vocabulary without being able to hear. Try to think without using words. Hearing is the very basis for that development."

Austin told the story of a family whose mother suffered from hearing loss. In the final days of her life, the woman's son brought a broken hearing aid into the Starkey Foundation for repair.

"Some people say, 'I'm too old. I'm not worth it,'" Austin said. "Can you imagine being on your deathbed with your children there when they say, 'I love you,' and not being able to hear them?

"Hearing was priceless for this man and his mother, even if it was just for one afternoon."

Austin said he hopes the clients he serves will get years of enjoyment out of their new found ability to hear, and in doing so, will be able to more fully appreciate all that life has to offer.

"We all have challenges in life, but today, we're going to overcome the challenge of hearing," Austin said.

Learn more about Speedway Children's Charities online at www.speedwaycharities.org. For more information on the Starkey Hearing Foundation, visit www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »

I sure would like to think she is okay 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »

an angelic monkey She sure is a cute little girl
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »

I'm smellin' somethin and it ain't a flower!!!  After seeing the timeline and now stepmonster arrested...I've got a bad feeling.  She isn't writing checks cause they need food.  What you want to be they are heavily into drugs?  They've done something to that beautiful little girl and if they didn't harm her they at least neglected her to the point of letting someone else harm her.  Shame on them!  Where is the other family?  Media can't find em? 
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »

Updated 6:35 PM
Search continues for missing Hickory girl
By: David Kernodle

HICKORY, N.C. — It's been more than 24 hours and still no sign of a missing Hickory girl.

Investigators said 10-year-old Zahra Baker was reported missing early Saturday afternoon. Initially investigators thought she was abducted by a stranger but now say that's less likely. Search teams spent the day Sunday canvassing the area where she was last seen. Baker's hearing aids are the only thing recovered so far.

Baker's step mother was arrested Sunday on unrelated charges.

"At this time I can not rule out her as a person of interest,” said Police Chief Tom Adkins, of the Hickory Police Department.

Police said the girl's father seems to be cooperating with investigators. The Amber Alert will stay in place until Zahra Baker is found. She is five feet tall. She has brown hair, blue eyes and a prosthetic left leg. if you have any information about this case, you are asked to call the Hickory Police Department at 828--328-5551.

vid at link
http://charlotte.news14.com/content/top_stories/631325/new-details-released-in-amber-alert-for-10-year-old

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 07:17:06 PM »

whoops hit it to soon
in the vid neighbors say they hardley ever saw her

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »

I'm smellin' somethin and it ain't a flower!!!  After seeing the timeline and now stepmonster arrested...I've got a bad feeling.  She isn't writing checks cause they need food.  What you want to be they are heavily into drugs?  They've done something to that beautiful little girl and if they didn't harm her they at least neglected her to the point of letting someone else harm her.  Shame on them!  Where is the other family?  Media can't find em? 

Copied from page 1
Zahara’s biological mother is an Australian native and has not seen her daughter since she was about eight months old. She is believed to be in Australia and is not considered a suspect, Whisnant said

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »

I find it curious that the father has not released a statement asking for help finding his daughter.

melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »

I find it curious that the father has not released a statement asking for help finding his daughter.

Amen 4Donks!  Poor Mom in Australia, she probably can't even get over here.  Wonder what kind of situation this was?  Might better reserve that poor Mom statement.  I am wondering WHY media isn't hounding dear ol dad and any relative?  Maybe there is none.  Anyone willing to pull up the priors on these folks, Dad and Step?  Has anyone else seen this child recently?  Does she even go to school?  She's prolly been missing longer that reported. 
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »

It says in the hearing aid article that her school in HUDSON NC recommended the program. This was this past May. Their address is in HICKORY NC. two different counties. Wonder if she was registered in school this year or if they cross bus special ed students

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »

Awe, this little girl is just breaking my heart. 

I can only hope that with all she has been through, that she is able to speak for herself - scream whatever it takes. To be heard. Her hearing aids found is not a good sign. I know my Dad wore one and it was so small, that it was wedged deep inside his ear. Almost impossible to fall out, for him, I cannot speak for anyone else.

Then though, they do make newer hearing aids that are clip over the ear, that they look invisible, and they are feather weight light. If she was wearing ones that clipped over the ear, maybe they would fall away easier?
Photos of different types of childrens hearing aids:
 http://www.ihelpyouhear.com/images/hearing-aids.jpg

When I was reading about her step mom from the first posts within the cage .. I thought OH This " Mom" must have open warrants .. obviously she did/does.

I hope Zahra is found safe. My hinky meter though is running on both the parents. Stepmonster seems to be quite the character. I wonder how many alias's she has. That she was not caught prior ..to Zahra being reported missing.

The fact though, they " the parents" noted the last time she was known to them was at 2:30 am ..is strange. That is strange for one to say of a ten year old child. Um, the last time I knew she was safe/inside the house was at 2:30am.

Sounds like maybe " Mom and Dad" were having an eventful " Saturday Night" and possibly went and checked on her to see if she was " OK" ... maybe Mom and Dad were having arguments etc.., getting a bit too loud etc, and possibly tying one on..you get my drift. Or they had people over and things got out of hand .. that type of gig.

Something though made them state that they saw her at 2:30am. Again I think that the parents were having a little " Party" or along the lines and something when south. That they felt the need to check on her - If their statement is true to begin with?.
That is why NO One woke up to notice or report her missing, until 2 pm the following day?.

Being that Zahra has a hearing problem, I doubt the little one sleeps with her hearing aids in.  So I wonder where her hearing aids were found?

Most people find them to be a discomfort and remove them. And have other assistance for waking up, such as a flashing bright lamp over them etc.. or something other than their hearing aids. Or depend on the adults " Parents" in their lives to aid in their care. Hmm.
--
http://radioamber.net/?p=2156
snip:
Zahra last seen wearing
Camouflage Army T-shirt, black knee-length tights and left prosthetic leg. She is hearing-impaired. She was last seen sleeping in her bedroom at 21 21st Avenue NW in Hickory N.C. on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at about 2:30 a.m.

First off, people do not sleep with their prosthetic on. It would be maddening to sleep with a prosthetic attached to your body while you were sleeping.  So I am guessing with this description within her Amber Alert ..her prosthetic leg is missing as well??

Why was she wearing tights? again that is confusing to me.  Tights? maybe it is for health reasons? Compression garment of some sort?

I have a friend, he married a gal that lost her leg to cancer at the age of 12. She was given a prosthetic leg then - and she has said all along, its easier for her to get around, and take care of herself " without " the prosthetic .. she would not wear it most of the time, being a teen or even as a young adult. She lost her leg  between the hip and mid thigh /Bone Cancer. She is feisty one and becomes upset when one feels sympathy or attempts to help her. 

Even as an Adult today in her early 30's, she won't wear her leg if she doesn't have to. She uses crutches and flies like the wind in her own comfort zone.

I am praying for this little girl. What a Sweet Freckle Face ~ sigh.

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »

Noticed this in the coment section.
http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/top-stories/Amber-Alert-Issued-for-10-year-old-104645449.html
Amber Alert Issued for 10-year-old
WCCB Newsdesk
Bio Story Created: Oct 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM EDT

(Story Updated: Oct 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM EDT )

Anonymous said yesterday at 3:46 AM
Maybe the Amber Alert should also include the fact that she talks with an accent! That could be an important piece of information that could help her be found. Her accent is very noticable and if you are like me when someone has an accent u tend to turn and look when u hear them talk because it is not the norm. How can an Amber Alert help if the information is not clear!

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Claycat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/10/north.carolina.missing.girl/?hpt=T2

This article said there was a small fire at that residence the morning Zahra went missing.  While a fire like that won't consume a body, it could consume evidence.

Thanks for the lovely winter avatar, Brandi!
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »

12 hrs till they reported her missing?? like someone else said, she was not missed for breakfast or lunch??? WTH!    so sad for this little girl..seems she has been through much in her short life time..
step mom looks evil..just my opinion...

Claycat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »

12 hrs till they reported her missing?? like someone else said, she was not missed for breakfast or lunch??? WTH!    so sad for this little girl..seems she has been through much in her short life time..
step mom looks evil..just my opinion...

I agree, cookie!  She looks evil to me, too!  I can't believe they waited so long!

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »

Reading the local Hickory NC newspaper comments section several people tried to help with a search but they are not having any organized searches including LE. Maybe they have info that she isn't in the area.

Claycat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »

There is another video here.  Some of the neighbors never saw her outside.

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/top_stories/631325/search-continues-for-missing-hickory-girl

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.