April 28, 2024, 04:23:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #2 10/13/10 - 10/16/10  (Read 197646 times)
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »

The atty on SM obstruction charge wants a bail reduction because it is an excessive amount. He says that she is scared to death in jail.
Good I hope the other women in jail make her life as frightening as she made Zahra's. When she is scared enough maybe she'll tell where little Zahra is hidden.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
pfaubush
Scared Monkey

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »

I would like to address the homeschooling issue that so many have been bringing up. Yes, I believe that Elisa homeschooled Zahra in an effort to cover abuse. HOWEVER, this does not mean that all homeschooling parents are abusive. There were a couple of comments in the last thread that almost made it sound like that is the only reason to homeschool. There is a stereotype that homeschooled children aren't socialized and never leave the house. This case doesn't help that any. As homeschooled kids, my girls participate in 4H, AWANA, field trips, the church, zoo school, the grange, sports, and many other activities. Please don't assume that because a child is educated at home that they are a victim of something sinister.

How can a human being start out as an innocent baby and turn into a monster that would harm an innocent baby?
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »

Friends say missing NC girl's stepmother was angry

HICKORY, N.C. (AP) -- To relatives and former neighbors, Elisa Baker had a short fuse. In interviews and court documents, they portrayed her as nasty-tempered and willing to use a gun or her fists to settle an argument and say her disabled stepdaughter usually bore the brunt of her rage.

Investigators said Tuesday they believe someone killed 10-year-old Zahra Clare Baker, who was reported missing over the weekend. Baker showed no emotion in court Wednesday as a judge explained she could be sentenced to up to 30 months in prison if convicted of obstruction of justice. She is accused of trying to throw off investigators with a fake ransom note.

Baker's court-appointed attorney, Scott Reilly, said she was "scared to death" and very emotional about everything.

"She's upset about being held in jail. She's upset about being away from her family," he said.

Friends described a different side of Baker.

"She was always beating her," former neighbor Karen Yount said Tuesday. "I told her to stop but she wouldn't listen to anyone. That poor girl."

Police said the search for Zahra had shifted to a homicide investigation, canceling a missing child alert for the shy but upbeat girl who used hearing aids and a prosthetic leg because of bone cancer.

District Attorney James Gaither Jr. said he couldn't discuss details about the case.

"I'm upset. The facts are disturbing. You saw the images, she is such a darling child," Gaither said.

Elisa Baker is the only person accused in the case so far. Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins said she was charged with felony obstruction of justice after admitting she wrote the note, which asked for $1 million. She had already been in jail since the weekend on unrelated charges. Adkins said Baker has asked for an attorney, but none had been assigned late Tuesday.

At a news conference, Adkins said police can't find anyone outside the household who has seen Zahra alive in the last month. That uncertainty has stymied efforts to search for her, despite offers from volunteers in the city of 40,000 about 50 miles northwest of Charlotte.

"We understand the public wants to help find Zahra. The problem is we cannot confirm with any confidence how long Zahra has been missing," he said. "Without this information, we cannot positively select the area to search for her."

Zahra's father, Adam Baker, has said it was possible his wife could be involved in the disappearance, and other relatives echoed those remarks.

"I just think this was something for a long time that we knew was going to happen, everybody that was close to the family," relative Brittany Bentley said on CBS' "Early Show" on Tuesday.

Bentley, who is married to Elisa Baker's nephew, said she would have Zahra over for weekends and the girl would get angry when it was time to return home. The girl was being home-schooled, but had attended public schools in the past, police said.

Zahra "was locked in her room, allowed five minutes out a day to eat, that was it," Bentley said. "She was beat almost every time I was over there for just the smallest things. Elisa would get mad, she would take it out on Zahra, things the kid didn't deserve."

Adkins did not take any questions or further explain why the case was being treated as a homicide probe. A search warrant revealed on Monday that police dogs detected the smell of human remains on cars belonging to the father and stepmother.

Adam Baker has not been charged in the case, though the chief said previously he hasn't been ruled out as a suspect.

Caldwell County Court records show that Bentley filed a complaint May 13 against Elisa Baker, claiming she threatened to kill her and her young daughter in a dispute over money. She said Elisa Baker threatened them with a stun gun and a gun, and Bentley feared for their lives.

Ten days later, Yount said in her complaint that Elisa Baker made verbal threats against her child.

"She said my daughter and other girls were talking about her daughter. That wasn't true. She just started screaming and shouting and threatening to hit everybody," Yount said.

The ransom note found Saturday was the first sign that officers were faced with something more sinister. Zahra was reported missing that afternoon. The stepmother said she last saw Zahra sleeping in her room about 12 hours earlier, though Adkins has indicated he doesn't believe the timeline the couple gave him.

Officers investigated a yard fire at the girl's home hours before she was reported missing. Near the burnt limbs and grass, the note had been left on the windshield of the car belonging to Adam Baker.

It was addressed to Adam Baker's boss, though police quickly determined that man's family was safe.

Other neighbors say they also feared for the girl's safety.

"There were warning signs along the way, but you never want to think the worst," said former neighbor Kayla Rotenberry.

Her fiance, Bobby Green, said an investigator from the Department of Social Services visited the Bakers' house a few months ago: "I saw him when he knocked on their door. He said they were looking into whether the girl was being beaten."

The agency didn't return a phone message Tuesday.

Adam Baker was from Australia, and met his current wife over the Internet, a family friend said. Zahra's mother lives outside the U.S.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Missing-girls-stepmother-due-in-court-today-104847959.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »

Police search in Burke County for remains of missing girl (with video)

BURKE COUNTY, N.C. -- Hickory Police, SBI agents, Burke County sheriff's deputies and search dogs worked through the night Tuesday, searching an area in Burke County for 10-year-old Zahra Baker's remains.

The 10-year-old bone cancer survivor was reported missing Saturday. Tuesday, police called off an AMBER Alert and officially called the case a homicide investigation.

Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, is a suspect in the case. She currently charged with felony obstruction of justice. She is no longer speaking with investigators. Her husband, Adam, has not been charged and is talking with officers, but he has not been cleared of wrongdoing.

Burke County Sheriff John McDevitt said Tuesday's intensive search off Hartland Road would last until investigators find what they are looking for or rule out the area.

On Wednesday, the Burke County sheriff said search efforts were moving back to Hickory. He did not say whether investigators found anything in Burke County.
The search represents the fourth day investigators visited the property. McDevitt said approximately 50 investigators were on scene Tuesday, watching as a backhoe cleared brush.

The land searched belongs to the family of a foreman at the tree trimming company where Zahra's father, Adam, works. It is an area where mulch, wood chips, and heavy equipment is stored. Bobby Green, a former employee of the company, says Baker would have had access there.

"There's a lot of places to get rid of somebody over here. I hope not, but this the most cohorted effort that I’ve seen in the search so far," Green said.

Alvin Webb, who lives next door, told NewsChannel 36 a deputy told him a cadaver dog smelled human remains on a mulch pile and on a wood chipper on the property. McDevitt said Tuesday night there have been "many hits" but none that he would call conclusive.

McDevitt confirmed that Adam Baker was on site with investigators. He characterized his behavior as "not exactly cooperative," adding that, in his opinion, Baker is not being truthful.

Just before noon on Tuesday, Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins called off the AMBER Alert for 10-year-old Zahra Baker and said the investigation had turned into a homicide investigation. Adkins also said that Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, had admitted to writing a ransom note found during a search for clues in the case, and had been charged with obstruction of justice. Elisa Baker was already in jail, having been arrested on charges unrelated to the disappearance on Sunday.

The timeline for the case is blurry.

Zahra was reported missing on Saturday, but police say it's been over a month since anyone other than the girl's father and stepmother has seen her. Elisa Baker says she saw Zahra sleeping at 2:30 a.m. Saturday.  Adam Baker says he last saw his daughter the Thursday before was reported missing.

Green said he visited the home weeks ago, but Elisa Baker told him Zahra was sick and couldn't leave her room.

"Outside the immediate family, we cannot confirm that anyone has seen Zahra in the last month,” Chief Adkins said.

That includes next-door neighbor Charles Bost, who says Zahra's father and stepmother, Adam and Elisa Baker, chatted with him in the yard once or twice and mentioned their dog.

But, he says, in the month and a half the Baker's lived here, they never mentioned a daughter.

"I didn't even know that she existed. I mean I've never seen her and I never heard him mention her or anything like that,” Bost said.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/Police-searching--104818544.html
Curly
Monkey Junky

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »

The atty on SM obstruction charge wants a bail reduction because it is an excessive amount. He says that she is scared to death in jail.
Good I hope the other women in jail make her life as frightening as she made Zahra's. When she is scared enough maybe she'll tell where little Zahra is hidden.

Aw, she's scared? How does she think Zahra felt?
Both these so-called parents are guilty.
The father needs to be behind bars too, before he takes off.

OMGWTF

"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice no matter who it's for or against."
                             Malcolm X
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:56 AM »

I would like to address the homeschooling issue that so many have been bringing up. Yes, I believe that Elisa homeschooled Zahra in an effort to cover abuse. HOWEVER, this does not mean that all homeschooling parents are abusive. There were a couple of comments in the last thread that almost made it sound like that is the only reason to homeschool. There is a stereotype that homeschooled children aren't socialized and never leave the house. This case doesn't help that any. As homeschooled kids, my girls participate in 4H, AWANA, field trips, the church, zoo school, the grange, sports, and many other activities. Please don't assume that because a child is educated at home that they are a victim of something sinister.
an angelic monkey I sure don't we had neighbors who homeschooled three children, and the kids were polite, well mannered and well adusted.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

Stepmother Of Missing Girl Makes Court Appearance

HICKORY, N.C. -- Investigators said Tuesday they believe someone killed 10-year-old Zahra Clare Baker, who was reported missing over the weekend.

The girl's stepmother, Elisa Baker, appeared in court at the Catawba County Justice Center in Newton on Wednesday, accused of trying to throw off investigators with a fake ransom note.

Baker's attorney requested that her bond be reduced as he feels that an obstruction of justice charge is not a $40,000 bond.

On Tuesday, police said the search for Zahra had shifted to a homicide investigation, canceling a missing child alert for the shy but upbeat girl who used hearing aids and a prosthetic leg because of bone cancer.

Elisa Baker is the only person accused in the case so far. Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins said she was charged with felony obstruction of justice after admitting she wrote the note, which asked for $1 million.

She had already been in jail since the weekend on unrelated charges. Adkins said Baker has asked for an attorney, but none had been assigned late Tuesday.

MORE...

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25368912/detail.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:41 AM »

Images of the search last night
http://www.wsoctv.com/slideshow/news/25377460/detail.html
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »

Stepmother Of Missing Girl Makes Court Appearance

HICKORY, N.C. -- Investigators said Tuesday they believe someone killed 10-year-old Zahra Clare Baker, who was reported missing over the weekend.

The girl's stepmother, Elisa Baker, appeared in court at the Catawba County Justice Center in Newton on Wednesday, accused of trying to throw off investigators with a fake ransom note.

Baker's attorney requested that her bond be reduced as he feels that an obstruction of justice charge is not a $40,000 bond.

On Tuesday, police said the search for Zahra had shifted to a homicide investigation, canceling a missing child alert for the shy but upbeat girl who used hearing aids and a prosthetic leg because of bone cancer.

Elisa Baker is the only person accused in the case so far. Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins said she was charged with felony obstruction of justice after admitting she wrote the note, which asked for $1 million.

She had already been in jail since the weekend on unrelated charges. Adkins said Baker has asked for an attorney, but none had been assigned late Tuesday.

MORE...

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25368912/detail.html
Perhaps it's this amount because she has a long record of not appearing in court.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »

CHOPPER: Crews Search Debris For Clues

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/25373378/
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 11:56:06 AM »

Thanks for those images  obviously dad is there at the scene because he must have said something, IMO.  This is what I'm trying to understand, Elisa was so abusive to this baby, and dad what is up with him? Was he afraid of Elisa, was he also beating Zahra, did he enjoy watching Elisa beat her, what is it? Did Elisa have some super powers over this man where he lost all decency and allowed this? I could vomit when I see a picture of dad, just another disgusting person along with his wife.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »

Crews Search Late Into the Night for Clues in Zahra Baker Case

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/25373409/
novella
Scared Monkey

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 12:00:26 PM »

I just looked at this woman's myspace... .  This woman is 42 years old...now we see what happens to gothics when they grow up...just the fact that Zahra's dad picked this woman to be his partner and a mother figure for his child clues me into his own psyche.  Look at the T-shirt he was wearing for the interview...two skulls and the words vengeance written across it.  Both of these adults dressing like teenage anarchists.  That poor baby...she was the only grace between those two. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »

Thanks for those images  obviously dad is there at the scene because he must have said something, IMO.  This is what I'm trying to understand, Elisa was so abusive to this baby, and dad what is up with him? Was he afraid of Elisa, was he also beating Zahra, did he enjoy watching Elisa beat her, what is it? Did Elisa have some super powers over this man where he lost all decency and allowed this? I could vomit when I see a picture of dad, just another disgusting person along with his wife.

Yes he is just as disgusting if not more so.  Yesterday I would not (or could not) believe that a Dad could be with his daughter while she fought cancer, lost a leg, lost her hearing, relocated to the US to be with stepmonster and then just turned off his protective parent switch to where Zahra meant nothing.  It was too hard for me to even try to comprehend.  After some time away , a few screams and many tears I agree that he is WORSE then stepmonster.  HE brought his daughter into the situation as I am sure Zahra would be quite content still living in Aussie with Grandma Karen.  HE was her father, supposed to protect her, supposed to stand up for her.  HE is a waste of skin IMO.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »

I just looked at this woman's myspace... .  This woman is 42 years old...now we see what happens to gothics when they grow up...just the fact that Zahra's dad picked this woman to be his partner and a mother figure for his child clues me into his own psyche.  Look at the T-shirt he was wearing for the interview...two skulls and the words vengeance written across it.  Both of these adults dressing like teenage anarchists.  That poor baby...she was the only grace between those two. 
Many young people grow out of the goth thing, I know. There is much more going on with these two beings besides goth and skull shirts. Drug addicted, sadists, with no respect for human life.....
Terri
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »

I too home school.  I have many reasons and honestly love it.  With church, CCD classes, dance, fencing, swimming, etc, they are not only well socialized, they are seen ( or heard ; boys can be loud ) several times a day.  But I do understand the fears and concerns of others.  Having worked for CPS I know how a child can be isolated and abused / neglected.  Thank you for adding your voice.

Terri
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »

Missing Hickory girl's stepmother appears in court

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Missing-girls-stepmother-due-in-court-today-104847959.html
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »

Yes he is just as disgusting if not more so.  Yesterday I would not (or could not) believe that a Dad could be with his daughter while she fought cancer, lost a leg, lost her hearing, relocated to the US to be with stepmonster and then just turned off his protective parent switch to where Zahra meant nothing.  It was too hard for me to even try to comprehend.  After some time away , a few screams and many tears I agree that he is WORSE then stepmonster.  HE brought his daughter into the situation as I am sure Zahra would be quite content still living in Aussie with Grandma Karen.  HE was her father, supposed to protect her, supposed to stand up for her.  HE is a waste of skin IMO.
The thought of this waste has me haunted, I can't even begin to figure out how this waste went through all this with his daughter and allowed all this to happen, I'm glad that I can't figure it out, I would be afraid if I could 
Tolerance
Monkey Junky

Praying for the children.

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »

I have a visceral reaction to this photo.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »

more images from court today
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.