April 26, 2024, 08:35:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #2 10/13/10 - 10/16/10  (Read 197587 times)
Monkey King
Monkey Junky

« Reply #960 on: October 16, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »

Furniture store employees put Zahra in Hickory two weeks before disappearance  (with video of furniture employees, also mentions another search last night in a home outside of Hickory)

HICKORY, N.C.--Employees of a furniture store in Hickory tell police they saw missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker shopping with her stepmom there two weeks before she disappeared.

"We have cartoons for children playing on the TVs... and she was standing in the aisleway. As I walked past, I just touched her on the shoulder and said ‘Excuse me, sweetheart’ and she just looked up at me and smiled," floor manager Pat Adams told NewsChannel 36.

Adams said another salesperson remembered Elisa Baker calling the little girl, "Zahra."

Other employees of the "In Your Home Furnishings" store on US-70 noted the little girl's prostetic leg.

"We saw on TV about the little girl was missing and we started talking about it, and that was who it was—the little girl," explained Israel Valle.

Police tell NewsChannel 36 this information is the only tip that confirms that Zahra Baker was ever in Hickory alive.

Her parents, Elisa and Adam, had moved to Catawba County this summer, but until receiving the phone call from "In Your Home Furnishings," Hickory police chief Tom Adkins said only the Bakers told them Zahra lived in their new home.

Investigators remain convinced that this is a homicide investigation. Elisa Baker faces a felony obstruction of justice charge for writing a ransom note police say was fake. Adam Baker has not been charged.

Investigators and cadaver dogs searched Zahra Baker's house in Hickory Friday with Adam's consent.

Outside, investigators say the dogs did not get a hit on blood, human remains or decomposition. Investigators did not say what they found inside the home.

NewsChannel 36 saw crews removing Zahra's mattresses and bed railings, saying search dogs will use these to constantly have her scent.

After the search, Adam Baker, who police say is cooperating, wasn't answering questions.

"Everybody knows more than I do," said Adam Baker.

Police also searched the Baker's former apartment in Granite Falls Friday

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Zahra-spotted-at-furniture-store-weeks-before-her-disappearance-105082544.html

Is this a joke? I can't believe what I'm reading.

~Things aren't always what they appear to be~
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #961 on: October 16, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »

Furniture store employees put Zahra in Hickory two weeks before disappearance  (with video of furniture employees, also mentions another search last night in a home outside of Hickory)

HICKORY, N.C.--Employees of a furniture store in Hickory tell police they saw missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker shopping with her stepmom there two weeks before she disappeared.

"We have cartoons for children playing on the TVs... and she was standing in the aisleway. As I walked past, I just touched her on the shoulder and said ‘Excuse me, sweetheart’ and she just looked up at me and smiled," floor manager Pat Adams told NewsChannel 36.

Adams said another salesperson remembered Elisa Baker calling the little girl, "Zahra."

Other employees of the "In Your Home Furnishings" store on US-70 noted the little girl's prostetic leg.

"We saw on TV about the little girl was missing and we started talking about it, and that was who it was—the little girl," explained Israel Valle.

Police tell NewsChannel 36 this information is the only tip that confirms that Zahra Baker was ever in Hickory alive.

Her parents, Elisa and Adam, had moved to Catawba County this summer, but until receiving the phone call from "In Your Home Furnishings," Hickory police chief Tom Adkins said only the Bakers told them Zahra lived in their new home.

Investigators remain convinced that this is a homicide investigation. Elisa Baker faces a felony obstruction of justice charge for writing a ransom note police say was fake. Adam Baker has not been charged.

Investigators and cadaver dogs searched Zahra Baker's house in Hickory Friday with Adam's consent.

Outside, investigators say the dogs did not get a hit on blood, human remains or decomposition. Investigators did not say what they found inside the home.

NewsChannel 36 saw crews removing Zahra's mattresses and bed railings, saying search dogs will use these to constantly have her scent.

After the search, Adam Baker, who police say is cooperating, wasn't answering questions.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Zahra-spotted-at-furniture-store-weeks-before-her-disappearance-105082544.html

Cadaver dogs do not need a scent item and they have declared this a homicide.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Monkey King
Monkey Junky

« Reply #962 on: October 16, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »

Cadaver dogs do not need a scent item and they have declared this a homicide.

Absolutely, 4 Donks. 

This reporter took a comment by NewsChannel 36's people and erroneously reported it as news. 

This stuff was collected for fingerprinting and testing for trace evidence. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #963 on: October 16, 2010, 09:01:49 PM »

I think the author of that article embellished it with his/her assumptions which would be incorrect if they are searching for a body.
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #964 on: October 16, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »

I shoulda named myself random monkey for all the hit and run thoughts I have...sometime an attic is used to dry weed out because it's warm and the exhaust is pulling the humidity out.  That is if the exhaust system is working on the roof.  But generally it's the warmth that dries it quicker.  Whatever drug they were using/abusing/doing/selling (ALL MOO) could've been hidden up there and they had to crawl up there occasionally to get whatever it was.  Hence the shoe prints on the door frame, and the board laying down that could be used a flat surface to store stuff.  Let's see, I can answer about septic tanks, drugs, and welfare but I swear I'm not a Cumming or a Croslin.  I'll just use the old saying, "friends in low places", and huge experimenter in me younger days. 
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #965 on: October 16, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »

Don't hit me with your wand Klaas but I gotta tell 4Donks that I love the avi.  The ghost boooogiein in the back tickled me.  So cute.  My Son and I had a good laugh.  He's too old to trick or treat and dang it I miss it!  Err um HE misses it! lol  Honestly, I love Kyron's humor and I wonder what he would have gone as?  Zahra too.  So sad.  They should be picking out their costumes right about now and planning where to go.  Not fair.  I would adopt them in a heart beat.  No questions asked!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #966 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »

I shoulda named myself random monkey for all the hit and run thoughts I have...sometime an attic is used to dry weed out because it's warm and the exhaust is pulling the humidity out.  That is if the exhaust system is working on the roof.  But generally it's the warmth that dries it quicker.  Whatever drug they were using/abusing/doing/selling (ALL MOO) could've been hidden up there and they had to crawl up there occasionally to get whatever it was.  Hence the shoe prints on the door frame, and the board laying down that could be used a flat surface to store stuff.  Let's see, I can answer about septic tanks, drugs, and welfare but I swear I'm not a Cumming or a Croslin.  I'll just use the old saying, "friends in low places", and huge experimenter in me younger days. 

BBM

You have some very interesting thoughts melisb.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #967 on: October 16, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #968 on: October 16, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #969 on: October 16, 2010, 11:10:55 PM »

What is with the mailbox? The people at the trailer park said they were at the mailbox the night they came back and the neighbour across the street from them in Hickory said Adam was always hanging out front around the mailbox. Our mail delivery is always about the same time every day.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #970 on: October 16, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »

What is with the mailbox? The people at the trailer park said they were at the mailbox the night they came back and the neighbour across the street from them in Hickory said Adam was always hanging out front around the mailbox. Our mail delivery is always about the same time every day.

I'm not sure what was with the mailbox, 4 donks.  I was just trying to scroll back a bit because there was discussion about the mailbox , and I thought I read up thread that the Baker's didn't have a mailbox key. I'm not sure, but that's what I'm recalling.  Maybe I can find it.

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #971 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »

I'm not sure what was with the mailbox, 4 donks.  I was just trying to scroll back a bit because there was discussion about the mailbox , and I thought I read up thread that the Baker's didn't have a mailbox key. I'm not sure, but that's what I'm recalling.  Maybe I can find it.
If that's the case than it is even stranger. At first I thought that they were waiting for specific mail. I thought maybe his parents were sending money to help with medical expenses for Zahra not that they would use the money for that. Just can't figure out the fascination.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #972 on: October 16, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »

Here's a post from Monkey King about the mailbox and the Baker's not having a key.  I don't know what MK's source for the info is yet, though. 

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=8791.msg1248373#msg1248373

They were saying they saw them around the trailer by the mailboxes, but they didn't have a key to access the mailbox anymore.  They can say they were looking for the cats.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #973 on: October 16, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »

Let me clarify my posts about the mailbox and key.  (or lack of key).  I think what this is about is a neighbor saw the Baker's around the mailboxes and they no longer had a key. 

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #974 on: October 16, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »

Here's a post from Monkey King about the mailbox and the Baker's not having a key.  I don't know what MK's source for the info is yet, though. 

They were saying they saw them around the trailer by the mailboxes, but they didn't have a key to access the mailbox anymore.  They can say they were looking for the cats.
Any mail they received would be from people they specifically gave their address to because they didn't put a change in at the post office or their warrants would have caught up with them. They didn't want the school, DSS or LE to know where they were located.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #975 on: October 16, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »

Any mail they received would be from people they specifically gave their address to because they didn't put a change in at the post office or their warrants would have caught up with them. They didn't want the school, DSS or LE to know where they were located.

That makes sense 4 donks. 

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #976 on: October 16, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »

Investigators continue to search for Zahra

HICKORY --
Hickory police investigators announced Saturday that they have discovered a witness outside of the Baker family who saw Zahra on Sept. 25 – two weeks before she was reported missing.

Officers originally said that they hadn’t been able to find anyone outside the family who had seen the 10-year-old girl more recently than a month before her stepmother, Elisa Baker, reported her missing on Oct. 9.

Police have received more than 200 tips from the public since they began their investigation. Many tips are being called into other agencies and officers are following up on each one that is received.

Investigators and K-9 teams are continuing to search for the missing child at various locations including near the family’s numerous former addresses. They searched a wooded area near the Country Manor Estates trailer park in Hudson.

Elisa Baker has been in the Catawba County jail since Sunday morning when she was arrested on nine outstanding warrants for more than a dozen unrelated charges. She was charged with obstruction of justice Tuesday after confessing to police that she’d written a fake ransom note demanding $1 million. Baker is being held on a total secure bond of $72,200.

The community is reeling in the wake of Zahra’s disappearance and the Tuesday announcement that investigators are treating the case as a homicide.

A shrine to Zahra with candles, stuffed toys, scriptures and messages of hope continues to grow in front of the Baker family’s northwest Hickory home.

Some mourn, some cry, others are angry and Elisa Baker is the focus of their rage.
A man in a van rode by the house and shook his fist in the air.

“Hang the stepmom, hang the stepmom,” he shouted as two women knelt at the shrine and prayed.

Investigators are still asking for help from the public as they try to find Zahra and solve the case. Anyone with information about Zahra Baker’s whereabouts or information about her disappearance is asked to call the Hickory Police Department at 328-5551.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/16/investigators-continue-search-zahra-ar-462505/
Monkey King
Monkey Junky

« Reply #977 on: October 16, 2010, 11:34:03 PM »

I believe it was Mim's wife on Nancy Grace.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #978 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13297637

Non-profit organization sets up Zahra Baker Fund
Posted: Oct 09, 2010 7:05 PM PDT Updated: Oct 16, 2010 7:47 PM PDT

HICKORY, NC (WBTV) - A non-profit organization sets up a fund for missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker.

Spiritual Counseling Network of Hickory has several purposes in mind for the fund. One, to assist law enforcement and provide money for a possible reward. Two, to provide resources to the community. Third, to take care of funeral expenses in the event of Zahra's death and lastly to assist agencies involved in the prevention of child abuse and neglect.

Click here to donate online or learn more.  http://www.zahrabaker.com/

The group will be at the Granite Falls Wal-Mart taking donations Sunday, October 17 from 2pm to 8pm.

The Fund is also working to make October 24 Zahra Sunday - connecting those in the faith community to pray for Zahra and those involved in the case.

It's been a week since the 10-year-old was reported missing.

On Friday, employees at a Hickory furniture store told WBTV they remember seeing Zahra Baker and her stepmother in the store 14 days before she was reported missing.

Linda Austin says she noticed the little girl had a prosthetic leg and heard her stepmother call her by her name. "And I thought that was a strange name, which it is it's different, pretty but different," Austin said.

"She was standing in the aisle way and as I walked past, I put my hand on her shoulder and said excuse me sweetheart and she looked at me and smiled," Pat Adams added.

That smile, Adams says was the same one she found staring back at her from photos she found online.

Employees called police and a statement was taken. The store has surveillance video but it was not turned on at the time.

Before this information, police had not found anyone who'd seen Zahra in the last month.

Investigators looking into the case of a missing Hickory girl who is presumed to be dead returned to the 10-year-old's home Friday morning and removed some items from the house.

Police were at the Hickory home for about two hours Friday morning and they brought a cadaver dog to the house.

The dog was led into the house, but officials have not said if the dog detected anything unusual inside the home.

Police also brought Zahra Claire Baker's father, Adam, to the home.

Officers removed mattresses, box springs and bed rails from the house.  Those items will be taken to the state lab in Raleigh to be analyzed for blood or any other forms of DNA.  Baker left the house around 12:30 p.m.

Police also searched another home Friday afternoon in which the Bakers previously lived in near Hudson, NC.

Managers of the Congress Street apartment complex believe Zahra was kept in the attic.

They say the Bakers lived there between July and November of last year.

Shirley and Darrell Mims said they went to investigate a smell in the home and when they went upstairs they found the closet door missing and footprints on the closet walls.

On closer inspection, Darrell Mims found sheet rock in the attic torn door, "like someone was laying on it," he said. The Mims also say they never saw Zahra except once when the family was moving in.

"We use to hear noise in the middle of the night. I don't know if it was the little girl staying up here or what but we've heard no more noises since they've been gone," Darrell Mims said.

A K-9 searched the area around the home but it's unclear if anything was found here.

Thursday evening, the search of 60 acres of land in the Hartland Road Community of Burke County ended with no trace of the girl who was reported missing last Saturday.

The girl's father works for a landscaping company that uses a portion of the land to store equipment and dispose of brush.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #979 on: October 16, 2010, 11:39:03 PM »

Klaas - I have the thread change prepared, unless you would like to take care of it.  Either way is fine   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.