March 28, 2024, 06:55:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #2 10/13/10 - 10/16/10  (Read 196879 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #980 on: October 16, 2010, 11:39:29 PM »

Muffy - I added this last post of mine to the new thread too along with info on the Zahra Baker Fund. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #981 on: October 16, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »

Money and legal trouble follow Zahra's parents

Zahra Baker’s father and stepmother, Adam and Elisa, have an extensive criminal history and the majority of the charges currently pending against them are tied to money problems. Charges were filed, arrests were made and the Bakers established a pattern of not showing up for their court dates.

A criminal records check in Catawba and Caldwell counties revealed that the couple is facing a combined total of 18 charges of writing bad checks worth a combined $2,054.58. All but one of the checks were written at area grocery stores. The remaining check, written for $595, was for back rent, said the Bakers’ former landlord Mark Sims.

Sims said the Bakers rented a singlewide mobile home in Country Manor Estates in Hudson. He charged $115 per week, according to court documents accompanying the eviction notice he served on Adam Baker in December 2009. Baker owed $1,114 in back rent.

Three months later, Sims filed an eviction notice against Elisa Baker, who owed $1,612 in back rent.

Sims was unclear on the circumstances surrounding the Bakers’ evictions and said he couldn’t remember why two separate eviction notices were served on them.

Sims said he didn’t speak to the Bakers often, but when he did they were polite. When he called Baker to tell her she was late on her rent, “She said, ‘I will bring you by a check today,’ and she brought one by,” Sims said. When the $595 check bounced, she apologized and brought Sims a cash payment for part of what she owed.

“She was never angry with me,” he said.

Her teenage neighbors remember her differently.

Corrine Yount, 15, and her friend Brandy Hefner, 16, took out an arrest warrant on Baker for communicating threats on May 23, 2010.

Yount said the incident began when she and her friend noticed Zahra crying as she walked up a steep hill behind her house.

“She was making Zahra walk up the hill by herself because that’s how she would punish her because she (Elisa) knew it would hurt Zahra’s leg,” Yount said.

Baker came out of her trailer and started screaming and threatening the girls.

“She said, ‘I’m going to teach these two teenagers a lesson and whip their butts,’” Yount said.

Baker continued to shout threats until Hefner’s mother came out of the house and asked what was going on and Baker left, according to the arrest warrant.
Yount said she spoke to Zahra a few times and saw that she was a very sweet girl. She also said people in the neighborhood knew Baker was abusive to Zahra and they tried to get law enforcement involved.

“You could hear Zahra screaming and Elisa yelling at her, so we would call the police,” Yount said. “We called DSS (the Caldwell County Department of Social Services) on her too, but they never did anything.”

Adam and Elisa Baker were arrested for communicating threats against their family members too.

They were arrested on May 22, 2010 and charged with communicating threats against Elisa’s niece Brittany Bentley, her fiancé Zackery Tyler and the couple’s 7-month-old daughter. The threats stemmed from an outstanding debt Bentley owed them, according to the arrest warrant.

“He (Adam Baker) chased me and my fiancée. He literally tried to run us off the road twice,” wrote Tyler in the complaint accompanying the warrant. “He got in the opposite lane, swerved at the driver’s side and we had to swerve to keep from getting hit, then he passed us and slammed his brakes. We had to slam our brakes and still almost hit him.”

The couple went home and gave Baker the money she was owed, but she demanded more. She and Adam threatened the couple with Tasers, according to the arrest warrant.

“They said they would kill me and Brittany Bentley and that they knew where our daughter was and they would kill her if I didn’t pay her,” Tyler wrote.

Bentley’s complaint is similar but provides additional detail.

“Then she went to my mom’s where my daughter was with a supposed gun after she threatened to kill my daughter,” Brittany wrote. “I fear for mine and my daughter’s and fiance’s life.”

The Bakers were charged with communicating threats as a result of the incident. Adam was also charged with assault with a deadly weapon for allegedly trying to run the couple off the road.

In March 2010, the Bakers were arrested and charged for failing to return a laptop computer, a 42-inch Zenith television, a stereo and a living room suite worth $2,411.69, according to court documents. The couple had rented the furniture and electronics from Bestway Rent to Own in Lenoir.

On the rental application Baker filled out she lists her occupation as “disabled” and her monthly income as $591.

As with the above charges, the Bakers failed to appear at their scheduled court date on June 30, 2010.

Elisa Baker is in the Catawba County jail under a total bond of $72,200 secured – $32,200 for more than a dozen charges unrelated to Zahra’s disappearance and $40,000 on a charge of obstruction of justice. She was charged with obstruction of justice Tuesday after confessing to police that she’d written a fake ransom note demanding $1 million.

Adam Baker is cooperating with investigators as they search for Zahra, said Hickory Police.
Anyone with information about Zahra’s disappearance or her location is asked to call 911, or the Hickory Police Department at 328-5551.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/16/money-and-legal-trouble-follow-zahras-parents-ar-462500/
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #982 on: October 16, 2010, 11:43:27 PM »

Now I'm sure Muffy and I will lock at the same time 

Please move to Zahra #3

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=8794.0
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #983 on: October 16, 2010, 11:43:31 PM »

Muffy - I added this last post of mine to the new thread too along with info on the Zahra Baker Fund. 

Excellent   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.