April 28, 2024, 11:47:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #4 10/22/10 - 10/28/10  (Read 148839 times)
Nightowl
Scared Monkey

« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »

I'm still unclear as to whether the mattress has been found or not, the following article is in the Australian newsparper the Daily Telegraph today:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/north-carolina-police-find-mattress-of-missing-australian-girl-zahra-baker/story-e6freuy9-1225943073378

North Carolina police find mattress of missing Australian girl Zahra Baker By staff writers From: NewsCore October 25, 2010 8:51AM

NORTH Carolina authorities searching a landfill for clues in the disappearance of Australian girl Zahra Baker discovered on Friday a mattress they hoped would provide crucial evidence in the case.
The mattress belonged to the missing 10-year-old and was disposed of by Zahra's parents days before they reported her missing on October 9.

Investigators were hoping to use the mattress to corroborate information given by people associated with the case, and to glean possible DNA evidence that could offer more clues, a statement from the Hickory, North Carolina, police department said.

Zahra's father, Adam Baker, reported her disappearance to Hickory, North Carolina, police, but a few days later officials said they were investigating her disappearance as a homicide.

Zahra, who has hearing loss and had one lower leg amputated due to cancer, was born in Australia but moved to the US after Adam Baker met the woman who would become her stepmother on the internet two years ago.

Adam Baker has not been ruled out as a suspect and his wife, Zahra's stepmother Elisa Baker, has been charged with obstructing justice after she admitted writing a fake $1 million ransom note.

Elisa Baker is also a suspect in the investigation amid claims she had abused the little girl.

bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

It is beyond appalling how these imbeciles time and time again baffle LE.
It's obvious AB is uneducated, so what kind of job did he think he was going to be getting moving to the states?
Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that when you live in a country that has medical care for your sick, cancer- stricken child, and you don't have too many prospects in the job market, you stay put. Why did he move to the US? Why didn't that step monster stay on in Australia? None of this makes any sense.

Time to start treating the perps the same way they treated their victims.
I hope step monster is getting her azz kicked every day non-stop in jail.
I hope they're starving her.

BTW, the book The Lovely Bones beats the movie hands-down.

Did the book make you cry?  I mean the movie made me sob afterwards.  I was extremely upset.

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me."
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »

I'm still unclear as to whether the mattress has been found or not, the following article is in the Australian newsparper the Daily Telegraph today:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/north-carolina-police-find-mattress-of-missing-australian-girl-zahra-baker/story-e6freuy9-1225943073378

North Carolina police find mattress of missing Australian girl Zahra Baker By staff writers From: NewsCore October 25, 2010 8:51AM

NORTH Carolina authorities searching a landfill for clues in the disappearance of Australian girl Zahra Baker discovered on Friday a mattress they hoped would provide crucial evidence in the case.
The mattress belonged to the missing 10-year-old and was disposed of by Zahra's parents days before they reported her missing on October 9.

Investigators were hoping to use the mattress to corroborate information given by people associated with the case, and to glean possible DNA evidence that could offer more clues, a statement from the Hickory, North Carolina, police department said.

Zahra's father, Adam Baker, reported her disappearance to Hickory, North Carolina, police, but a few days later officials said they were investigating her disappearance as a homicide.

Zahra, who has hearing loss and had one lower leg amputated due to cancer, was born in Australia but moved to the US after Adam Baker met the woman who would become her stepmother on the internet two years ago.

Adam Baker has not been ruled out as a suspect and his wife, Zahra's stepmother Elisa Baker, has been charged with obstructing justice after she admitted writing a fake $1 million ransom note.

Elisa Baker is also a suspect in the investigation amid claims she had abused the little girl.

I agree, there is some confusion as to whether the mattress was found or not. They abruptly stopped the search after day 3, when they stated it probably will take 4 days to search the landfill.

One article stated "the mattress was not found at the landfill," suggesting there was a mattress found but it was not found at the landfill.

Wording of articles can become confusing and actually say the opposite of what is meant.

I am not convinced that they found her mattress nor that they did not find it.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »

I agree, there is some confusion as to whether the mattress was found or not. They abruptly stopped the search after day 3, when they stated it probably will take 4 days to search the landfill.

One article stated "the mattress was not found at the landfill," suggesting there was a mattress found but it was not found at the landfill.

Wording of articles can become confusing and actually say the opposite of what is meant.

I am not convinced that they found her mattress nor that they did not find it.

Brandi, when I was looking for news/updates on the case I found conflicting articles, with some saying mattress found and yet others saying not found.  I decided not to post any of mattress articles whether found or not found  since so many were posted yesterday (found and not found) and hopefully we will get some information soon that is reliable. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nightowl
Scared Monkey

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2010, 04:53:41 AM »

Hi Brandi and MuffyBee, the reason I posted this article is because it is being reported in Australia that the mattress was found and so the general public here, reading that article would believe that is the case, whereas because I am fortunate enough to be a member of this forum, I am aware that this might not be correct.  It is very frustrating, to say the least, to think that the wrong information is being reported.
Tolerance
Monkey Junky

Praying for the children.

« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2010, 08:42:29 AM »

Maybe they found the mattress at a location other than the landfill? and LE is keeping it quiet?
Just my thought.
I know they searched around the Trailer Park and other places.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »

Investigators tight-lipped as search continues
By The Hickory Record Staff
Published: October 24, 2010

snipped
Hickory police did not respond to requests for a status update on the ongoing investigation Saturday, and it is not clear if the investigation has stalled.
A three-day search of the Foothills Environmental landfill in Lenoir for a mattress belonging to Zahra failed to turn up any evidence and was cancelled Friday.
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/24/investigators-tight-lipped-search-continues-ar-479124/

wonder how true this is.........

Posted by allAmerican8888 on Oct. 24, 2010 - 11:01 a.m.

Word from the grape vine is that an indictment package is being prepared for the grand jury. They must have some good forensic evidence and of course they wouldn't tell us that.
It makes sense though....since they have appointed Lisa Dubs.
-------------
The Law Offices of Lisa Andrew Dubs
http://www.dubslawfirm.embarqspace.com/

recent work link
http://www.dubslawfirm.embarqspace.com/#/recent-work/4532635517

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:36 AM »

Hi Brandi and MuffyBee, the reason I posted this article is because it is being reported in Australia that the mattress was found and so the general public here, reading that article would believe that is the case, whereas because I am fortunate enough to be a member of this forum, I am aware that this might not be correct.  It is very frustrating, to say the least, to think that the wrong information is being reported.

It's okay Nightowl.      I saw another article being reported in Australia that the mattress was found and I thought the same thing as you, that the general public there would believe that is the case.  We've seen the conflicting reports and I hope that we'll get a reliable source that tells us whether the mattress in question has been found or not.  I personally don't feel Zahra is still alive, and I hope I'm wrong about that.  I'm hoping there will be justice for Zahra. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tolerance
Monkey Junky

Praying for the children.

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2010, 10:20:04 AM »

http://www.whky.com/news.asp?mode=detail&articleID=14014

Adam arrested.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »

It's about time!
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »

Sorry, but about time 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2010, 10:32:29 AM »

Zahra's Father Arrested on Outstanding Caldwell Co. Warrants
10/25/2010 9:10:16 AM

33-year-old Adam Troy Baker of 21st Avenue N.W. in Hickory was arrested just past 3 a.m. today on outstanding warrants from Caldwell County.  Baker is the father of missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker.  According to Deputy Chief of Police Clyde Deal, the charges against Adam Baker are unrelated to his daughter’s disappearance.  Chief Deputy Deal had no further comment.

The charges against Baker include five counts for worthless checks and four counts of failure to appear on charges of communicating threats, assault with a deadly weapon and failure to return rental property, all misdemeanors.

Baker was processed at the Hickory Police Department where bond was set at $7,000, secured.  He has been confined in the Catawba Co. Detention Facility with a first District Court date scheduled for November 18 in Caldwell County.  At Baker’s request, the Australian consulate in Atlanta, Georgia was notified of his arrest.  Baker is an Australian citizen.

(Pictured:  Adam Troy Baker, courtesy of Hickory Police Dept.)
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »

Finally.

Even though he was arrested on the other charges, bad checks, etc, he needs to be in jail.

He did not seem to be cooperating with authorities.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »

wow - thanks Tolerance!

I wonder if the charge of failing to return rented furniture includes a mattress?!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »

http://hickory.wbtv.com/content/zahra-bakers-dad-charged-after-landfill-search-turns-empty
Zahra Baker's dad charged after landfill search turns up empty
Submitted by WBTVWebStaff on Monday, October 25th, 10:30
HICKORY, NC (WBTV) - Authorities said Monday morning that a missing 10-year-old girl's father had been charged and was being held in jail.
Adam Baker, the father of Zahra Baker, was not charged with allegations related to her disappearance, unlike Zahra's stepmother, who is being held on an obstruction of justice charge related to the search for the girl.
Full Coverage:  The Search for Zahra
Adam Baker, who first reported his daughter missing in a 911 call Oct. 9, was charged Monday with 5 counts of worthless checks and 5 counts of failing to appear in court.  He is being held in the Catawba County Jail on a $7,000 bond.
The charges against Baker came after authorties said Friday that they had completed their search of a Caldwell County landfill and that they had been looking for a specific mattress associated with the missing 10-year-old girl, Zahra Baker.
Dozens of law enforcement officers from various agencies descended on the landfill earlier this week and were seen pulling mattresses out it on Thursday. On Wednesday, police said that they were combing the landfill for a "key piece of evidence."

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13297637

Zahra Baker's dad charged after landfill search turns up empty

Posted: Oct 09, 2010 7:05 PM PDT Updated: Oct 25, 2010 7:12 AM PDT

HICKORY, NC (WBTV) - Authorities said Monday morning that a missing 10-year-old girl's father had been charged and was being held in jail.

Adam Baker, the father of Zahra Baker, was not charged with allegations related to her disappearance, unlike Zahra's stepmother, who is being held on an obstruction of justice charge related to the search for the girl.

Full Coverage:  The Search for Zahra

Adam Baker, who first reported his daughter missing in a 911 call Oct. 9, was charged Monday with 5 counts of worthless checks and 5 counts of failing to appear in court.  He is being held in the Catawba County Jail on a $7,000 bond.

The charges against Baker came after authorties said Friday that they had completed their search of a Caldwell County landfill and that they had been looking for a specific mattress associated with the missing 10-year-old girl, Zahra Baker.

Dozens of law enforcement officers from various agencies descended on the landfill earlier this week and were seen pulling mattresses out it on Thursday. On Wednesday, police said that they were combing the landfill for a "key piece of evidence."

Friday, they elaborated on the evidence that they had searched for.

"The search focused on a mattress belonging to Zahra that had been disposed of by Zahra's parents sometime during early October, days before Zahra was reported missing," a press release from Hickory Police said.

Police said that they hoped to "use the mattress to confirm interviews with persons associated with this investigation."  They also said that the mattress would be used to reinforce the timeline of Zahra's disappearance.

Several mattresses were found in the landfill and police took samples of those mattresses with them. However, it is not believed that investigators found the "key piece of evidence" they were looking for.

Lastly, police said they hoped the mattress -- in the landfill for at least 2 weeks now -- could provide some DNA evidence.

The girl's stepmother appeared in court for a bond hearing on Wednesday and the judge increased her bond amount.

Officers with the Hickory Police Department and agents with the NC State Bureau of Investigation, Evidence Recovery Team members, Federal Bureau of Investigation and US Marshal Service arrived at the Foothills Environmental Landfill located on Cheraw Road in Lenoir early Wednesday morning.  The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office and the Hickory Fire Department were also called to assist with the search.

During a media briefing Wednesday afternoon, Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins commented on the search at the landfill saying officers would continue searching the area over the next few days.

When a reporter asked if they were looking for Zahra Claire Baker, Adkins replied, "We are not looking for her body in the landfill at this time."

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »

http://www.wcnc.com/news/zahra-baker/Zahra-Bakers-father-arrested-105675973.html

Zahra Baker's father arrested

Posted on October 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Hickory police have arrested the father of a missing 10-year-old on charges unrelated to her disappearance.

Adam Baker was arrested Monday morning on five counts of writing worthless checks and three counts of failure to appear in court.

Baker was being held on $7,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 18.

Baker's daughter, Zahra, was reported missing on Oct. 9 and is presumed dead. Baker's wife, Elisa, is being held in jail on charges of obstruction of justice. Police say Elisa Baker wrote a fake ransom note and is not cooperating with investigators.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »

Here is the rest of my post.   
http://hickory.wbtv.com/content/zahra-bakers-dad-charged-after-landfill-search-turns-empty
Friday, they elaborated on the evidence that they had searched for.
"The search focused on a mattress belonging to Zahra that had been disposed of by Zahra's parents sometime during early October, days before Zahra was reported missing," a press release from Hickory Police said.
 Police said that they hoped to "use the mattress to confirm interviews with persons associated with this investigation."  They also said that the mattress would be used to reinforce the timeline of Zahra's disappearance.
Several mattresses were found in the landfill and police took samples of those mattresses with them. However, it is not believed that investigators found the "key piece of evidence" they were looking for.
Lastly, police said they hoped the mattress -- in the landfill for at least 2 weeks now -- could provide some DNA evidence.
The girl's stepmother appeared in court for a bond hearing on Wednesday and the judge increased her bond amount.
 Officers with the Hickory Police Department and agents with the NC State Bureau of Investigation, Evidence Recovery Team members, Federal Bureau of Investigation and US Marshal Service arrived at the Foothills Environmental Landfill located on Cheraw Road in Lenoir early Wednesday morning.  The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office and the Hickory Fire Department were also called to assist with the search.
During a media briefing Wednesday afternoon, Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins commented on the search at the landfill saying officers would continue searching the area over the next few days.
When a reporter asked if they were looking for Zahra Claire Baker, Adkins replied, "We are not looking for her body in the landfill at this time."
Adkins also urged the public to come forward if they have seen Zahra since Sept. 25 or within the last month.
Adkins said different family members have told police various timelines as to when they last saw Zahra.
"We are just looking for someone outside the family to tell us when they have seen her," Adkins said. 
A reporter asked if searchers at the landfill were possibly looking for Zahra's prosthetic leg, but Adkins repeatedly said, "We believe a piece of evidence is in the landfill."
Adkins said his officers were essentially working in two teams: one team is following up on leads and the other team is actively working at the landfill.
"We hope if we find this evidence, it will provide a good, solid timeline in this case," Adkins said.
Following Adkins' comments, Caldwell County Sheriff Allan Jones spoke briefly saying his deputies were assisting the Hickory Police Department in the investigation.  Jones said they will be searching all the trash which has come to the landfill from the date in which Zahra was reportedly last seen.
When asked how the trash is disposed of, Jones replied, "There is no incineration of the trash, all the trash is buried."
Wednesday morning, Zahra's stepmother appeared in Catawba County court for a bond hearing.  Elisa Baker was charged last week with felony obstruction of justice after police say she admitted to writing a ransom note to distract police from finding Zahra.
Baker appeared in court via video monitor.  Her attorney was hoping to the judge would reduce Baker's bond amount.  Instead, Judge Robert Mullinax Jr. raised Baker's bond from $40,000 to $65,000 citing some "unsettling allegations" against her.
Before the judge did this, the State called evidentiary witnesses to the stand including one of Baker's biological daughters.
Amber Fairchild said she had never seen her mother work and that her mother had received about $10,000 from a man in London during the last year.
Reporter Derrick Rose was watching the video monitor and saw Baker sitting with her hands folded and she appeared stoic even when she heard that her bond amount would be increased.
If she is able to post bond, there are restrictions Judge Mullinax has set in place.  She will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device, and she will have a curfew from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.   She will also be required to surrender her passport.
On Tuesday, the HPD released the 911 call in which Zahra's father, Adam Baker, made right after he discovered his 10-year-old was missing, or possibly kidnapped.
In the nearly 5-minute phone call on Oct. 9, Baker talked about how a fire was set at his house the day before and he theorized that a group of kidnappers, who allegedly left a ransom note for his bosses' daughter, had instead taken Baker's daughter.  (Click here to read a transcript and listen to the full 911 call)
Since the 911 call was made 11 days ago, police say Zahra Baker's stepmother has admitted to writing the ransom note that was found in a vehicle parked outside the family's home.  She is charged with obstruction of justice and police are pursuing the case as a homicide investigation.
In the 911 call, Adam Baker suggests that Zahra was taken during the melee when a fire was set in the back yard at his house, possibly by mysterious kidnappers who he repeatedly refers to.
"We checked in there last night about 2:30 a.m. and she was there," Baker says of Zahra, who had twice survived cancer, but suffered hearing loss and lost part of a leg in the battle against the disease.
"I don't know if they set a fire in the yard to distract us to go out and then they snuck in the door," he said.
When the 911 operator asked when Baker last saw Zahra -- since the call was 12 hours after someone last saw her -- he explained that he was used to not seeing her and laughed about the 10-year-old's "brooding."
"My daughter is, I think, coming into puberty, cause she is hitting that brooding stage (laughter) so we only see her when she comes out when she wants something, and that's about it," Baker said.
Baker goes on to briefly describe Zahra, and also tells the dispatcher that the "kidnappers" took her prosthetic leg.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »

I'm hoping Adam Baker ends up being the weakest link and he admits what happened to Zahra.  I fully believe he knows.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »

Guess he was not usefull to LE anymore.  It is over due. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.