March 28, 2024, 02:57:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marine Sentenced to One Year in Death of Daughter  (Read 2314 times)
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« on: October 25, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »

I have such mixed emotions on this one.

Chesapeake Marine gets year in jail in death of infant daughter

By Matthew Bowers
The Virginian-Pilot
© October 25, 2010
CHESAPEAKE

A Marine security officer was sentenced today to a year in jail and fined for the accidental shooting death of his 9-month-old daughter while he was practicing drawing his sidearm.‬
‪‬
Colton Jack Luman, 26, is a combat veteran of three Iraq tours assigned here to a Marine security outfit.‬
‪‬
He pleaded guilty in June to involuntary manslaughter. In February, he was practicing with a handgun in his home on the Norfolk Naval Support Activity, Northwest Annex base when it fired, killing his daughter, Makenna, as she sat nearby in a high-chair, according to facts presented during the June hearing.‬
‪‬
There was no plea agreement. Chief Circuit Court Judge V. Thomas Forehand Jr. could’ve sent Luman to prison for as many as 10 years, although Virginia’s non-binding sentencing guidelines suggested no incarceration in such circumstances, Luman’s lawyer had said after his plea.‬

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/10/chesapeake-marine-gets-year-jail-death-infant-daughter

2 4 1
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »

how tragic...
little one sitting innocently in her highchair and gets shot by her own father...terrible for him and the whole family..just shows that even experienced gun handlers need to use extreme caution no matter what!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »

how tragic...
little one sitting innocently in her highchair and gets shot by her own father...terrible for him and the whole family..just shows that even experienced gun handlers need to use extreme caution no matter what!

Cookie, I agree.
When I was a child my Dad would never allow us to play cowboys or any other such game where shooting was involved.  We couldn't even point a finger at each other pretending it was a gun.  He said, "you should never pretend to shot anyone."  He was a World War II vet.  I know that wasn't what this father was doing exactly, but guns in a home are so dangerous.  My prayers to all of them.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »

the guilt that this father will carry with him for the rest of his life will be horrific...
sad for all of them..

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.