May 23, 2024, 03:43:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #7 11/11/10 - 11/15/10  (Read 179947 times)
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #520 on: November 13, 2010, 03:13:11 AM »

CW~

I'm sorry about the lose of your friends today.

an angelic monkey an angelic monkey an angelic monkey

Our prayers are with you,
MK

Mine are with you, too cw.  I am so sorry!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #521 on: November 13, 2010, 03:18:31 AM »

Beautiful, FL!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #522 on: November 13, 2010, 03:24:24 AM »

What time is the vigil scheduled for, and where will it be held? 

Hickory is 4 hours away and we are debating about attending.  It would be nice to meet up with our fellow monkey's as well.

Perhaps someone should have a poster representing scaredmonkeys?

Emily's family and friends have the following rose on their FB for Emily.  The daisy was started by the Bakers after Emily's friends started the rose.  If Emily is at the memorial it would probably mean a lot to her to see a few of these around her. 

I believe in miracles!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #523 on: November 13, 2010, 03:24:55 AM »

AAP
US police confirm Zahra is dead

By Peter Mitchell, AAP November 13, 2010, 2:15 pm

Freckle-faced Zahra Baker overcame plenty of hardship during her 10 years of life.

The sweet girl with the beaming smile was rejected at birth by her mother, battled bone cancer as a toddler, had a leg amputated aged five, lost her hearing during chemotherapy and at eight was uprooted from her home in Queensland and moved to Hickory, a small town in North Carolina, so her father could be with a woman he met on the internet.

The final chapter of Zahra's life turned out to be the worst, something so shocking that hardened US police veterans on Friday were close to tears while detailing publicly what nobody wanted to hear.

Zahra was dead and her dismembered body, along with her prosthetic leg, was found in bushland around Hickory.

"Investigators, agents, officers and staff who worked on this case are devastated that we were not able to find Zahra alive and bring her home safely," Hickory Police Department chief Tom Adkins, close to tears, told reporters.

"Today our community mourns.

"Our state mourns.

"Our nation mourns and the world mourns."

The focus now turns to how Zahra's life ended.

Police have not ruled out her father, Adam Baker, as a suspect.

Nor have they pencilled out Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, who sits in a prison cell charged with writing a bizarre letter found on October 9, the day police were alerted Zahra was missing.

An alert was immediately issued, but police soon sensed something was not right and switched the case from a missing person to a homicide investigation, a move that tragically proved correct.

Sources say it was Elisa Baker, a tattooed, self-confessed goth and lover of vampire movies, who pointed police investigators to several sites around the Hickory area, including bushland off Christie Road, where Zahra's prosthetic leg was found dumped. In the same area they found a bone that after forensic testing was confirmed as Zahra's.

DNA from the bone matched that taken from personal items, presumably a toothbrush or hairbrush, Zahra used at home.

The most grisly find was unearthed on the edge of a secluded area known as Gunpowder Creek, to which Elisa Baker is also believed to have led police.

On Wednesday searchers detected a shallow grave, carefully dug through the soil and found human remains.

"According to medical examiner staff on site, when the remains were recovered, they are consistent with a child," Adkins said.

Zahra's biological mother, Emily Dietrich, who suffered post-natal depression after giving birth to Zahra in Wagga Wagga and handed custody to Adam Baker, has flown from Australia to Hickory and will help police with building Zahra's DNA profile.

"A known DNA profile of Zahra will be created from cheek swabs from her biological mother and father," Adkins said.

Police will continue building a case and conducting interviews to find Zahra's killer.

Adam Baker, a former Queensland sugar mill worker, was called in to the Hickory Police Department on Thursday for an hour-long interview. He was accompanied by his lawyer.

Elisa Baker has also been talking to police, although the conversations have largely remained confidential.

The most public insight into her view of what happened to Zahra comes from letters she allegedly wrote to a Florida man, Eric Gein, who runs a website dedicated to violent crimes.

In a letter to Gein, distributed to media outlets, she allegedly pointed the finger at her husband, declaring: "He knows what's happened to Zahra" and "The cops know where she is and what he has done".

"We really didn't kill her but what he did after the fact is kinda horrifying. Makes me scared of him," the hand-written letter says.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/8312914/us-police-confirm-zahra-is-dead/

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #524 on: November 13, 2010, 03:38:29 AM »

I am devastated.  Although this is what we all expected and had hoped for a resolution as to Zahra's whereabouts, the announcement is still no easier to bear.

I am in awe of the LE who searched and grieved during this case.  They are all family men and women and must have the most difficult time coping with a case as horrifying as this.  God bless them.

This case in all over our media this morning.  I will keep watch for any interviews or docos that may be televised in the days to come and link to here for the monkeys.

I have read through here this  morning and will try to answer those questions that I remember have been asked.

Karen Baker would have no legal rights on Zahra unless an Australian court gave her those rights, in which case I would expect Emily would not have been required to contribute the payments to our Child Welfare Dept which in turn were remitted to Adam's bank account.

I do not know of any fund set up here for funeral expenses for Emily to bring Zahra home.  Nightowl may know of something in the Townsville area.  It depends on personal beliefs but in cases such as dismemberment of a body, cremation is the preferred option and bringing Zahra's ashes home would not incur any expense.

I wish a safe journey to those who plan to attend the vigil.  I will be there with you in spirit.

Thank you to the clever monkeys who calm us with their art work.  Also thank you to Klaas for holding this thread together with such a sad but angry bunch of monkeys.

I am now heading out to my local plant nursery to purchase a native Daisy which I will plant close to my living room window as a permanent reminder of our sweet Zahra.

Go in peace with the angels little one.

Thank you, Tibro, I hear the pain and loss in your words.

an angelic monkey

Thank you for understanding Bearly.  Also ((((Hugs)))) for sharing your story with us.  Glad to know you have reestablished contact.
Thank you Tibro

The part I bolded eases my mind. I was afraid that KB might try to stop Emily from taking Zahra home.

4 Donks on our evening news tonight a very distressed newsreader gave a report on the latest news.  Towards the end of the report she mentioned that our Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who is in Korea for the G-20 summit, had been briefed on the latest news before the NC LE held their press conference, and that Ms Gillard was working with consular officials to ensure that Zahra's remains would be returned to Australia.  I will update if I hear anything further about this.

OT Hugs for you as you remember the fun times you had with Furby.   an angelic monkey

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #525 on: November 13, 2010, 03:40:19 AM »

Klaas there have been many crying Koalas in this part of the world today. 

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #526 on: November 13, 2010, 03:41:51 AM »

Hello monkeys, I am sad with all the rest of you today.

Such a beautiful girl.

FOR ZAHRA

Z- Zealous, having such an eagerness towards life.

A- Australia's Child.

H- Hero who fought so hard.

R- Radiant little girl.

A- Always in our hearts.

Elaine that is wonderful.   Thank you for sharing with us all.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #527 on: November 13, 2010, 03:54:50 AM »

Aaron Young
I can answer for myself lilly, I am elisas ex husband we were married 10 years been seperated for 3 years been divorced for 1 year 3 months LEGALLY!!
6 hours ago

Colleen Sleer
Aaron, how do you think Elisa got away with marrying Adam, I believe they married in July 2008, but you said you have been divorced "legally" only 1y3m. Seems there is an overlap in time there?
2 hours ago

Aaron Young
LOL thats the thing We werent divorced when they got married. she kept telling me she got our divorce in aussie and hell i wasnt stupid so I filed over here just to make sure. And I would have divorced sooner but I'm disabled and dont have very much money. WOW thatll give some people some stuff to talk about huh, how broke i am BUT Im very pleased LOTS & LOTS of people were trash talking me and it seems now that A LOT of you actually now know how much me and Kristy cared for zahra
about an hour ago

Colleen Sleer
I wonder if she convinced herself with her lies.

So technically, Adam isn't married to Elisa?

Aaron, thanks for your answer, sorry that you didn't have the funds to divorce her sooner, and don't feel the need to explain your financials.
16 minutes ago

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/topic.php?uid=162072750477909&topic=242

So how did they get married here in Australia?

Legal requirements for marriage in Australia

Couples who wish to be married in Australia are required to submit a Notice of the intended marriage with their choosen celebrant. The form must be submitted at least one month before the marriage is to take place (and no earlier than six months before the marriage). This form must be signed and witnesses either by an Australian Consular Official or Diplomatic Officer.

Personal identification (such as a passport, birth certificate etc.) is also required. Check with your celebrant to ensure you have the correct legal identification.

Marriage Act 1961
4.29. Under the Marriage Act 1961,

Marriages may be celebrated by a minister of religion registered as an authorised celebrant, by a State Registrar, or by other persons authorised by the Attorney-General.

Notice of the intended marriage must be given to the celebrant at least one month but not more than six months before the marriage.

A celebrant is required to transmit within 14 days an official certificate of the marriage for registration to a district registrar in the State in which the marriage took place.

http://mag.weddingcentral.com.au/weddings/legal/overseas.htm

As I understand the legal side, apart from Church requirements, persons planning to marry here whether Australian citizens or from overseas have to supply proof of their being free to marry. 

So EB would have had to either lie or supply a forged document of divorce.  Why does this not surprise me ---

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #528 on: November 13, 2010, 04:31:37 AM »

I was on Facebook's "The Zahra Project" and just wanted to share a picture and caption posted a few minutes ago. The caption reads:

"I live in Hickory and my daughter took this photo about 30 minutes ago. I think this a symbol to represent Zahra a Pink Cross in the sky on the night they have confirmed the worst."

an angelic monkey Just Beautiful  an angelic monkey

Whoaaaaaaa Nellie! That is weird!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #529 on: November 13, 2010, 04:37:15 AM »

Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #530 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:56 AM »

When they were searching the creek, it didn't look as if the guys in the water were looking for remains. I think they were looking for a piece of equipment like a chainsaw. The bone had cut marks. Was it a surgical cut or something more gruesome ? I fell awful even posting this thought I had.
If AY is disabled, what kind of disability ?  If he has money problems, guess he could be a seller of stuff to the NE or such. Why didn't they, all of them who cared so much for Zahra try to go thru Adam instead of filing * like who knows what they really did, eh ? *thru DSS ? Why did they let him off the hook ? They gave given him shelter and support, why ? What the heck have these peeps been involved in that they would stick by Adam ?  There has to be some crazy relationships that they all have with each other, AB thought AY was her BROTHER ?
Her 2 daughters called AY  " Dad ", he was Uncle Aaron to Zahra.
None of them could be playing with a complete deck of anything.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #531 on: November 13, 2010, 06:14:48 AM »

Link to video of tonight's news report.  Mention of Julia Gillard's involvement is around 2.30 mark.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/

Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #532 on: November 13, 2010, 06:19:38 AM »

Goodnight to the owls and to all who are signed on.
I am going to try to get out of the negative hole I have fallen into, let justice do their work and think of what a beautiful spirit Zahra had. And also the monkeys who have posted some lovely thoughts, prayers, poems, lyrics and songs & ideas to honor Zahra. Else I will be in trouble to think of what punishment I would like to deliver.
bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #533 on: November 13, 2010, 06:20:42 AM »

When they were searching the creek, it didn't look as if the guys in the water were looking for remains. I think they were looking for a piece of equipment like a chainsaw. The bone had cut marks. Was it a surgical cut or something more gruesome ? I fell awful even posting this thought I had.
If AY is disabled, what kind of disability ?  If he has money problems, guess he could be a seller of stuff to the NE or such. Why didn't they, all of them who cared so much for Zahra try to go thru Adam instead of filing * like who knows what they really did, eh ? *thru DSS ? Why did they let him off the hook ? They gave given him shelter and support, why ? What the heck have these peeps been involved in that they would stick by Adam ?  There has to be some crazy relationships that they all have with each other, AB thought AY was her BROTHER ?
Her 2 daughters called AY  " Dad ", he was Uncle Aaron to Zahra.
None of them could be playing with a complete deck of anything.

Kat Gram... I might be offbase but I really think they were all drug buddies.......  JMO

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me."
Lazydog1
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #534 on: November 13, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »

Aaron Young
I can answer for myself lilly, I am elisas ex husband we were married 10 years been seperated for 3 years been divorced for 1 year 3 months LEGALLY!!
6 hours ago

Colleen Sleer
Aaron, how do you think Elisa got away with marrying Adam, I believe they married in July 2008, but you said you have been divorced "legally" only 1y3m. Seems there is an overlap in time there?
2 hours ago

Aaron Young
LOL thats the thing We werent divorced when they got married. she kept telling me she got our divorce in aussie and hell i wasnt stupid so I filed over here just to make sure. And I would have divorced sooner but I'm disabled and dont have very much money. WOW thatll give some people some stuff to talk about huh, how broke i am BUT Im very pleased LOTS & LOTS of people were trash talking me and it seems now that A LOT of you actually now know how much me and Kristy cared for zahra
about an hour ago

Colleen Sleer

Aaron, thanks for your answer, sorry that you didn't have the funds to divorce her sooner, and don't feel the need to explain your financials.
16 minutes ago

So, she is a bigamist? Wow!

Seems to be.  Now this begs the question of Adam being in the US with his WIFE who really was not his WIFE if in fact this is true.  Wonder what happens to his status or green card or whatever he has to be in the US if they never were really married?  There was an article early on where the reporter said he could not find any marriage cert for them in the US and assumed they were married in Aussie.

If they aren't legally married this removes the thing about one spouse testifying against the other. Is that right?

It is my prayer that Kyron be found and return home. Of course like everyone else I want him found alive but feel his parents need peace and closure. May this happen before Spring 2011.
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #535 on: November 13, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »

Aaron Young
6 hours ago

Colleen Sleer
2 hours ago

Aaron Young
about an hour ago

Colleen Sleer

16 minutes ago

So, she is a bigamist? Wow!

Seems to be.  Now this begs the question of Adam being in the US with his WIFE who really was not his WIFE if in fact this is true.  Wonder what happens to his status or green card or whatever he has to be in the US if they never were really married?  There was an article early on where the reporter said he could not find any marriage cert for them in the US and assumed they were married in Aussie.

I think if this is the case, they can now testify against each other?

I would think so. Does NC have a common law marriage statute? Also, I wonder if welfare fraud is an issue now since they were no married - did they claim married on forms for assistance? Or on taxes? This is an interesting side note. While I do not think it has anything to do directly with the death of Zhara, I do think it shows EB's character. She wants what she wants and will do whatever she needs to get it.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #536 on: November 13, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »

Your beautiful face that looks so all knowing...R. I. P. with the Angels sweet Zahra.   an angelic monkey
Desdemona
Monkey Junky

« Reply #537 on: November 13, 2010, 07:58:53 AM »

<self-snipped by Desi>
So, my question again:  Does anyone recall whether we saw a smaller wood chipper similar to this one, in news footage of the Baker house back when this story first broke?
The Baker house is a simple, one-story structure, with a tarp over part of the roof, stacks of firewood in the backyard, a log splitter and a truck from Real Tree Services of Morganton.
An adult dog and a puppy stay in the back yard. A neighbor, according to a passerby, waters the dogs.

However, Mitchell said he never heard any commotion or machinery being operated on the property.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/13/neighbors-never-saw-missing-girl-ar-453363/

There was a log splitter in the backyard, it wasn't a woodchipper. The only woodchipper was the one at the Burke work site.
Thanks for taking the trouble to find this!

Pictures of Various Log Splitters:
http://tinyurl.com/2f5tnu5

To compare, I'm attaching screen shots of the one from the yard.  I can't tell what this machine is, but IMO, it doesn't appear to be a log splitter.

(Source link for attached pics:  http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Zahra%20Baker%20%20-NC-/ )

I come here for the children, not to stroke someone's ego.  --Darla, 12/14/09
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #538 on: November 13, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »

I am devastated.  Although this is what we all expected and had hoped for a resolution as to Zahra's whereabouts, the announcement is still no easier to bear.

I am in awe of the LE who searched and grieved during this case.  They are all family men and women and must have the most difficult time coping with a case as horrifying as this.  God bless them.

This case in all over our media this morning.  I will keep watch for any interviews or docos that may be televised in the days to come and link to here for the monkeys.

I have read through here this  morning and will try to answer those questions that I remember have been asked.

Karen Baker would have no legal rights on Zahra unless an Australian court gave her those rights, in which case I would expect Emily would not have been required to contribute the payments to our Child Welfare Dept which in turn were remitted to Adam's bank account.

I do not know of any fund set up here for funeral expenses for Emily to bring Zahra home.  Nightowl may know of something in the Townsville area.  It depends on personal beliefs but in cases such as dismemberment of a body, cremation is the preferred option and bringing Zahra's ashes home would not incur any expense.

I wish a safe journey to those who plan to attend the vigil.  I will be there with you in spirit.

Thank you to the clever monkeys who calm us with their art work.  Also thank you to Klaas for holding this thread together with such a sad but angry bunch of monkeys.

I am now heading out to my local plant nursery to purchase a native Daisy which I will plant close to my living room window as a permanent reminder of our sweet Zahra.

Go in peace with the angels little one.

Thank you, Tibro, I hear the pain and loss in your words.

an angelic monkey

Thank you for understanding Bearly.  Also ((((Hugs)))) for sharing your story with us.  Glad to know you have reestablished contact.
Thank you Tibro

The part I bolded eases my mind. I was afraid that KB might try to stop Emily from taking Zahra home.

4 Donks on our evening news tonight a very distressed newsreader gave a report on the latest news.  Towards the end of the report she mentioned that our Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who is in Korea for the G-20 summit, had been briefed on the latest news before the NC LE held their press conference, and that Ms Gillard was working with consular officials to ensure that Zahra's remains would be returned to Australia.  I will update if I hear anything further about this.

OT Hugs for you as you remember the fun times you had with Furby.   an angelic monkey
Good to hear. I just didn't want the mom having the pain of losing Zahra to those people one more time.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #539 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »

tibro - I have found it difficult to post here.  I wish to thank you for all
that you have contributed from your side of the world.  Good on you.

May the white tea roses you purchased so lovingly in Zahra's name, bloom and thrive always.  an angelic monkey

Hugs and comfort to you.

can     
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.