April 23, 2024, 07:59:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Child's jawbone found in Manistee Michigan  (Read 8531 times)
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« on: November 06, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »

construction crews found a jawbone from what appears to be a female child -

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/authorities_reviewing_missing.html

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »

Authorities reviewing missing children reports after construction crew finds remains
Published: Friday, November 05, 2010

MANISTEE -- Authorities are revisiting databases of missing children after workers at a Manistee area construction site found a human jawbone fragment in excavated dirt.

WGHN-AM in Grand Haven reports Friday that Manistee County's medical examiner said several teeth are intact and that the weathered bone fragment could have come from a female child. The fragment was found Thursday.

The station also reports that authorities say they have no known open missing children cases. The area where the fragment was found is a marina building and isn't believed to have been a burial ground.

It will be examined next week for more bone fragments.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/authorities_reviewing_missing.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »

Human jaw bone found at construction site in Manistee

Manistee, Mich. (WZZM) - Workers at a new marina in Manistee made a surprising discovery Thursday afternoon.

Manistee Police Chief David Bachman issued a news release saying a human jaw bone was discovered on River Street in Manistee. The bone is a partial jaw fragment and contains three teeth.

The Manistee County Medical Examiner says the bone is believed to be from a child and possibly a female. Bachman says the jaw fragment was discovered in plain view on the ground in an area where the construction crew walks every day. The dirt on this ground is dirt that was excavated from the site during construction.

At this time the immediate area around the find has been marked off for additional examination. The medical examiner will examine the site with a detective will determine the next course of action, including possibly sifting through the dirt on the site to see if more bones are present.

Bachman says the bone is weathered and appears to have been in the earth for a long time.

There are no known open cases of missing children in the area, but investigators will be looking at old case files. There is no known history of the site being used as a burial ground.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=138096

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »

Perhaps this should be under unsolved crimes instead of missing persons???

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »

Perhaps this should be under unsolved crimes instead of missing persons???

I agree with you Nut.  I think it should be under unsolved crimes.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »

Sorry about that - I was not sure where to put it - I so seldom start a thread. Please place it where it fits best!

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »

Sorry about that - I was not sure where to put it - I so seldom start a thread. Please place it where it fits best!

It's okay theboyzmom.  Sometimes it's six of one, half a dozen of another when trying to decide where to put things.  I appreciate that you brought the article, opened a new thread and posted it.  Hopefully the child can be identified and we can find out what happened.  

I'm moving this to "Unsolved Crimes".  

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »

Remains Found in Manistee Lead to Further Searching
Posted: 11/12/2010

Police and tribal leaders in Manistee county are back at work, digging up dirt, hoping to get some answers.

Last week a construction worker found a human jaw bone on a site in Manistee.

After ground penetrating radar results came back, police decided there were three areas that needed to be looked at. So far they haven't found anything.

It could turn out to be more human remains, metal, or something else.

We have a crew at the scene if they find anything, and will bring you continuing coverage tonight on 9&10 News at 6:00.
http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=269065&cID=1

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »

Update: More small bone fragments found
Jennifer Linn Hartley - Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Update:
Wednesday morning Manistee Police Chief Dave Bachman met with Tribal representatives to discuss information from the radar report and the need to excavate the potential remains and how it may impact the construction project.

Tribal preference is to leave the remains in place if at all possible, Bachman said. If not possible, they will be removed and buried in a different location.

Abonmarche in Manistee has been asked to overlay the radar data with the construction plans and see about any possible overlap.

Dunbar Excavating Inc. has agreed to meet authorities on site with excavation equipment in case a dig becomes necessary.

Officials will begin digging or agree not disturb any potential remains at a meeting at the site Friday morning.

Tribal government will now be an official partner in this investigation, Bachman said.

The Little River Band of Ottawa Indians brings experience, manpower and some financial resources if necessary, Bachman said.

Five small bone fragments, two animal and three likely human, were found Monday at the site where a human jaw bone was found last Thursday. Seven additional sites located by radar, will be dug up to see if more bones are in the area along River Street.

The bones found Monday appear to be very old and weathered, said Manistee Police Chief Dave Bachman. They were turned over to the medical examiner, who will send them to an anthropologist for examination.

The search was done by Manistee Police officers and members of the Tribal Historic Preservation Department.

Police say there is no indication that the site is an organized burial site, has additional remains, or is a crime scene. Among the questions that remain is how to pay for the continued investigation.

The jaw bone — believed to be from a young girl — was located at the construction site of the new city marina building on River Street in Manistee Thursday.

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/53396-more-small-bone--fragments-found

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.