April 26, 2024, 12:13:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lunch Date in Atlanta  (Read 19402 times)
dkpen
Monkey Junky

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 11:17:44 PM »

These two places below sounds like something I may do during my visit in Atlanta. If it were warm and Spring time I would hit the Botanical Gardens. A little early for me there yet.

Isn't there a new museum where they have human skeletons with tissue on them in poses or something like that? That would be interesting to see also. For those who could stomach it. lol

My hubby may be coming with me also, if that is ok. We need to find a dog sitter while away from home first. If we can't find one I will be traveling alone.

We have an American Pitbull Terrier who has seperation anxiety worse than any dog or pet I have ever seen or heard of. She literally rips the doors off the hinges and walls, and digs her way through the sheetrock and insulation of the walls trying to get out. It is so bad her gums bleed and her foot pads bleed.  She will not stay in the back yard. She jumps the fense to go looking for us. Hubby won't tie or chain her up in fear she will strangle herself in an attempt to break free.  We bought a kennel, one like you use on the back of a pick-up truck. She pushed so hard on the walls of the cage she busted the bottom loose. She is a very strong dog. So we will be building a kennel made of a cyclone fense with reinforced locks and hinges/bolts/latches. She will "not" get out this one. Only thing I fear is she having an anxiety attack she will go into a stroke. She is about 7.5 yrs old. Crazy dog! We have established who the leader of the pack is, but it just has not helped. Last time we put her in a kennel, when we returned, she had freaked out so bad she didn't even recognize us for the first 30 mins. until she snapped out of it hearing our voices calmly speaking to her. Bless her heart. Even putting her on meds has not helped. So, unless we find a dog sitter, hubby is stuck home for the weekend. hmmm Might not be a bad idea after all.  LMAO Just kidding!

Georgia Aquarium
You need to get tickets in advance; not sure of availability as this has been sold out on many days and Saturdays might be tough. They can email tickets to you.
10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Aquarium Home Page:
http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/index.aspx
225 Baker Street
Atlanta, GA 30313
404-581-4000
visitorservices@georgiaaquarium.org

Zoo Atlanta
The baby panda will be making her debut on view as of Feb. 23. Timed tickets are available online; they are $5.00 more than the usual general admission zoo ticket (which is $18.00).
9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., but pandas only during morning hours
(9:45 - 11:45). You can get tickets online.
Zoo Home Page:
http://www.zooatlanta.com/home.htm
800 Cherokee Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30315
404-624-5600
info@zooatlanta.org

cp405
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 12:02:27 AM »

Well heck, I am flying into Atlanta on the 5th to see my daughter and leaving the 10th.  I guess I will just miss you all.  Maybe next time.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 12:38:18 AM »

dk - You might be thinking of "Body Worlds" but unfortunately it is not presently in, or scheduled for, Atlanta. I see Charlotte on the schedule though. (Apparently it's a traveling exhibit.) I remember reading about this a while back; maybe it will eventually get here!

http://www.bodyworlds.com/index.html

I failed to mention these two attractions, but again, not sure you can do them justice in a short time:

Fernbank Science Center (with Planatarium) and Museum of Natural History
This is in Decatur, near Emory. Two separate sites but very near each other.

Museum of Natural History
$13.00 ($12 seniors).
http://www.fernbank.edu/
There is an IMAX theatre; currently showing: "Hurricane on the Bayou" and "Deep Sea". $11.00 ($10 seniors).
767 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30307-1221
General Info: 404-929-6300 • Ticket Sales: 404-929-6400

Planatarium/Science Center
http://fsc.fernbank.edu/
There are Planatarium shows at 11:00 and 3:00 on Saturdays; they are $4.00 ($3.00 seniors). Other exhibits etc. are free. Among other things,  composting explained! (Tyler !!!)

There will be a LUNAR ECLIPSE on MARCH 3 !!!

"There will be a total eclipse of the Moon visible in Atlanta on the evening of Saturday, March 3, 2007, and astronomers at DeKalb County School System’s Fernbank Science Center are inviting everyone to come and get the best view through the observatory telescope.

"Fernbank Science Center’s observatory will be open for this event (weather permitting) from 6:00 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.  The public is invited to observe along with Fernbank astronomers and volunteers.  When there is a celestial event, such as this Moon eclipse, Fernbank is a very popular place.

"There is no charge for admission to Fernbank Science Center, and free but limited parking is available."

156 Heaton Park Drive, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30307
678-874-7102

High Museum of Art
This is in Midtown, on Peachtree Street between 15th and 16th Streets; good access from I-85. The current special exhibit features items on loan from The Louvre.
$15.00 ($12 for seniors).
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
http://www.high.org/
1280 Peachtree Street
Atlanta GA 30309
404-733-4400
highmuseum@woodruffcenter.org

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 12:47:04 AM »

Quote from: "cp405"
Well heck, I am flying into Atlanta on the 5th to see my daughter and leaving the 10th.  I guess I will just miss you all.  Maybe next time.

Well heck darn cp, you need to just re-arrange your entire life and join us on Saturday!

Serious, email BT (it's on pages 1 & 2 of this thread) and get my email addy from her. Maybe we can have dinner one night if DD can spare you??? Or she can join us? (I work so weekday lunch is not usually a good option for me.)

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2007, 01:41:17 AM »

For what it's worth - the extended forecast for Atlanta on March 3, per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Partly Cloudy
High: 64
Low: 38

If this changes much, I'll post an update ...

BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 08:05:19 AM »

Okay Monkeys, Ms. Marple and I are getting serious about lunch details now. Please e-mail me at sockmonkey_mom@yahoo.com if you're planning to attend.

We're thinking we might need to make reservations somewhere, so we need to know firm numbers. That means that if you're planning to bring a Significant Other with you, we need to know that too for the count.

Thanks!  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 10:22:12 AM »

We local monkeys can still meet you in Atlanta.  I know I would love to.  Which sector of Atlanta is your daughter? NE, NW, SE, SW inside the perimeter or outside the perimeter?

I'm open any night you choose. I don't work so I'm open in the daytime too.  Maybe Sat or Sun morning for a breakfast somewhere so the others who work could join us?

BTgirl has my email address. I have free long distance telephone so I could call and we could set something up if you would like.
cp405
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »

My daughter lives in Buford.  I'm actually going to be doing some babysitting, so it's really hard to say if I can get away unless it's fairly close to her house.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 01:56:44 PM »

My daughter lives in Buford.  I'm actually going to be doing some babysitting, so it's really hard to say if I can get away unless it's fairly close to her house.

Understand, and I would be willing to head that way.

SunFreak probably would too.

But don't know how tied up you will be with baby squatting!  Laughing

dkpen
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
dk - You might be thinking of "Body Worlds" but unfortunately it is not presently in, or scheduled for, Atlanta. I see Charlotte on the schedule though. (Apparently it's a traveling exhibit.) I remember reading about this a while back; maybe it will eventually get here!

I failed to mention these two attractions, but again, not sure you can do them justice in a short time:

Fernbank Science Center (with Planatarium) and Museum of Natural History
This is in Decatur, near Emory. Two separate sites but very near each other.

Museum of Natural History
$13.00 ($12 seniors).
http://www.fernbank.edu/
There is an IMAX theatre; currently showing: "Hurricane on the Bayou" and "Deep Sea". $11.00 ($10 seniors).
767 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30307-1221
General Info: 404-929-6300 • Ticket Sales: 404-929-6400

Planatarium/Science Center
http://fsc.fernbank.edu/
There are Planatarium shows at 11:00 and 3:00 on Saturdays; they are $4.00 ($3.00 seniors). Other exhibits etc. are free. Among other things,  composting explained! (Tyler !!!)

There will be a LUNAR ECLIPSE on MARCH 3 !!!

"There will be a total eclipse of the Moon visible in Atlanta on the evening of Saturday, March 3, 2007, and astronomers at DeKalb County School System’s Fernbank Science Center are inviting everyone to come and get the best view through the observatory telescope.

"Fernbank Science Center’s observatory will be open for this event (weather permitting) from 6:00 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.  The public is invited to observe along with Fernbank astronomers and volunteers.  When there is a celestial event, such as this Moon eclipse, Fernbank is a very popular place.

"There is no charge for admission to Fernbank Science Center, and free but limited parking is available."

156 Heaton Park Drive, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30307
678-874-7102

High Museum of Art
This is in Midtown, on Peachtree Street between 15th and 16th Streets; good access from I-85. The current special exhibit features items on loan from The Louvre.
$15.00 ($12 for seniors).
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
http://www.high.org/
1280 Peachtree Street
Atlanta GA 30309
404-733-4400
highmuseum@woodruffcenter.org

My husband and mother visited our daughter before the Holidays last year and they all went to this place I was speaking of.
It is actual human skeletons with tisue on them. They have them in poses and such. Non of them are fake. I will have to ask my husband once again the name of this place.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 03:47:36 PM »

Quote from: "dkpen"
My husband and mother visited our daughter before the Holidays last year and they all went to this place I was speaking of.
It is actual human skeletons with tisue on them. They have them in poses and such. Non of them are fake. I will have to ask my husband once again the name of this place.

dk - Hummm; I spoke too soon I guess. (Although the Body Worlds thing DOES use real human bodies that have been donated.) Anyway, if you can find out what it's called, I'll check it out.

dkpen
Monkey Junky

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »

I spoke to my daughter about it a moment ago on the phone but her cell phone was breaking up and I couldn't make out the name of it. She said it was in Atlanta Ga last year but at the moment it is in France. It is a traveling show of sorts. I

My hubby has a prochure he got from it on their tour there. I will ask him where he put it to get the name of it. But at any rate, you are right, it's no longer in Atlanta Ga so that is out on the "to do" list.

My daughter just got back home late last night from a trip to Mexico City, Mexico. She has a lot of pictures to get developed to show me. She visited the Astec's while there. I can't wait to see those pictures.
My daughter has been blessed the last 3 years. She has traveled all over the world. Mostly Europe. She says she wants to go to the orients next. I'm sure she will if I know my girl.

BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »

Okay, Lunch Monkeys - we have settled on a location. If you have indicated to me that you are planning to attend, you should have received an e-mail from me today regarding where we'll be meeting. If you didn't, and you are planning to be there, please e-mail me at sockmonkey_mom@yahoo.com

We will need a definite head count as soon as possible so that we can make sure we get a table big enough to seat our group.

Thanks.  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
dkpen
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 09:15:43 PM »

Body Worlds...The Anatomical Exhibition Of Real Human Bodies.

Just click on one of the pictures and it will bring up a site on it all if you wish to read up on it.

BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »

Attention Atlanta Lunch Monkeys

Please check your e-mail for a message I sent last night.

The location of the lunch might have changed from where you originally thought it was going to be.

TY  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2007, 08:40:34 AM »

Gotcha!

Thanks for taking care of the details.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »

For what it's worth - the extended forecast for Atlanta on March 3, per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Partly Cloudy
High: 64
Low: 38

If this changes much, I'll post an update ...

Forecast as of 02/28, for March 3, per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
Partly Cloudy
High: 60
Low: 33

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »

Hmmmm sounds like you all will be having a great time! Wish I could attend, but it's a bit far.......... and I would have had to book an appointment with my hairdresser months in advance.......(HEHEHE). I will be thinking of everyone, and have one for me!

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »

Quote from: "bleachedblack"
Hmmmm sounds like you all will be having a great time! Wish I could attend, but it's a bit far.......... and I would have had to book an appointment with my hairdresser months in advance.......(HEHEHE). I will be thinking of everyone, and have one for me!

Bleached - My guy is on a cruise of Greek islands; I desperately need a hair cut! Reminds me of when I called my plumber and he was in Las Vegas for a week.

I am in the wrong line of work  Laughing  .

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »

Quote from: "bleachedblack"

Bleached - My guy is on a cruise of Greek islands; I desperately need a hair cut! Reminds me of when I called my plumber and he was in Las Vegas for a week.

I am in the wrong line of work  Laughing  .

In real life I don't have it as bad as my gilda  Monkey.... Wink she's the one that has to wait. Laughing

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.