April 25, 2024, 02:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kyron Horman, 7 years old, PORTLAND, OR #36 11/21/10 - 12/05/10  (Read 182643 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #900 on: December 04, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »

OK, the above article is disheartening to say the least.

Where is Kyron???   
They must look at all potential theories: They suspect Kyron's stepmother's involvement, but did she pass the boy off to someone? Could the boy have been taken along the I-5 corridor and out of the country? They also must identify and interview child predators and sex offenders living in the area.    Am I reading this right? Have they not already identified and interviewed child predators and sex offenders yet?
Tolerance
Monkey Junky

Praying for the children.

« Reply #901 on: December 04, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »

That article did not inspire confidence for me.
hellokitty
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #902 on: December 04, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »

Interesting that they are analyzing cell phone pings.  So I feel they know that TH was not where she said she was.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #903 on: December 04, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »

Where is Kyron???   
They must look at all potential theories: They suspect Kyron's stepmother's involvement, but did she pass the boy off to someone? Could the boy have been taken along the I-5 corridor and out of the country? They also must identify and interview child predators and sex offenders living in the area  Am I reading this right? Have they not already identified and interviewed child predators and sex offenders yet?

I am misreading that right? They mean they need to re-interview all sex offenders and child predators, right?
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #904 on: December 04, 2010, 05:17:24 PM »

Where is Kyron???   
They must look at all potential theories: They suspect Kyron's stepmother's involvement, but did she pass the boy off to someone? Could the boy have been taken along the I-5 corridor and out of the country? They also must identify and interview child predators and sex offenders living in the area  Am I reading this right? Have they not already identified and interviewed child predators and sex offenders yet?

I am misreading that right? They mean they need to re-interview all sex offenders and child predators, right?

Or are they meaning this is all of the tasks LE must do in any investigation. I mean they interviewed all of the SO in the area including the one I found who has since moved to another state?
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #905 on: December 04, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »

Interesting that they are analyzing cell phone pings.  So I feel they know that TH was not where she said she was.

I would assume so as well but cell phone pings can be a bit tricky. They don't automatically mean you are in an area, you can be miles away from that area. It all depends on how many there are and who are the providers set up to use the towers. I wonder if anyone has researched how many cell towers there are, where they are and what area's they cover. Anybody know?
4myjoey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #906 on: December 04, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »

I would assume so as well but cell phone pings can be a bit tricky. They don't automatically mean you are in an area, you can be miles away from that area. It all depends on how many there are and who are the providers set up to use the towers. I wonder if anyone has researched how many cell towers there are, where they are and what area's they cover. Anybody know?

Tracygirl here is a website that you can go to look up where the towers are in your area.  You can put in your zip code and click on the provider and it will bring up a map of where the towers are.  I don't know any of the zip codes in that area.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=portland&state_abr=or&filter_att=1
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #907 on: December 04, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »

Tracygirl here is a website that you can go to look up where the towers are in your area.  You can put in your zip code and click on the provider and it will bring up a map of where the towers are.  I don't know any of the zip codes in that area.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=portland&state_abr=or&filter_att=1

Thank you for that. I went on and can see many cell towers but two are in pretty remote looking areas just north of Sauvie, Vemonia and then St Helens which I would guess would be the cell tower for Sauvie as it is the closest.  I have been told before on other cases a cell signal can bounce off one cell tower and be picked up by another. So my thinking is, the cell tower must not be in a cluster and would not have the ability to bounce to another closer tower. does that make sense?

Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #908 on: December 04, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »

They only have 2 or 3 towers and it's like you said, you could be several miles away from Sauvie Island and ping from that tower.  The service is sparse in that area.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #909 on: December 04, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »

Me, neither.  In fact, I feel another big hole in my stomach.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #910 on: December 04, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »

In that area there is Scappoose Industrial Airpark, http://www.scappooseairport.com/ hmmm is this the airport that people had thought about? Is this a regular airport?
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #911 on: December 04, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »

They only have 2 or 3 towers and it's like you said, you could be several miles away from Sauvie Island and ping from that tower.  The service is sparse in that area.

Yea but looking at the map, if you are in Hillsboro I dont think you would ping off the tower north of Sauvie. So it leaves me wondering if the situation is something like that, the cell tower being so far away and many in between that it couldn't possibly be it pinging off a near by tower.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #912 on: December 04, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »

Oh, my, am I reading this correctly?  BBM – Stanton is saying that they may not even be at an arrest or an indictment phase in February, that he anticipates they will have narrowed down to a point of calling out a suspect and/or identifying certain people or things.   I sounds like he’s saying they’re not ready to arrest or indict anyone now and probably won’t be by February either.  More like they’re closing in from a big circle to a smaller one, and hope to have something more concrete information by February. 
I feel very sad…this coming out on the 6 month anniversary of Kyron going missing.  It seems like LE has been very busy, and they’ve found a lot of things LE has had to check out in the process of the investigation (probably about the “surprises” Stanton talked about in his last talk with the press).  It also sounds like this investigation could continue much longer than February.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html
(Snip) … The sheriff is pushing for something to shake loose by Feb. 1, the end of a 120-day deadline he set for the task force and when he reports back to county commissioners about the status of an investigation that has cost nearly $1.4 million as of Nov. 29.

"The scope is narrowing. My belief is we should be relatively close to something by then, that's why I set the time frame I did," Staton said. "While we may not be at an arrest or an indictment phase, we're going to have it narrowed down to a point where we may be calling out a suspect, identifying certain people or things." Yet prosecutors and task force members aren't about to set any deadlines.

"This is a marathon, not a sprint," Capt. Jason Gates said.  (Snip)

hellokitty
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #913 on: December 04, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »

I order to get a ping, it triangulates.  3 points.  That's how they identify where the phone has pinged.  Picture a triangle. 
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #914 on: December 04, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »

Me, neither.  In fact, I feel another big hole in my stomach.

Mine too. I feel as though they missed something or jumped too quickly to a theory perhaps? I don't know but I wish it had left me feeling more confident
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #915 on: December 04, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »

I order to get a ping, it triangulates.  3 points.  That's how they identify where the phone has pinged.  Picture a triangle. 

So which cell tower do you suppose they say she pinged on using the triangle theory?
hellokitty
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #916 on: December 04, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »

IT Digest - Ingenious Tejas's Digest Blog
http://geekswithblogs.net/tpatel/archive/2004/06/29/7329.aspx

"Cell phones are two way radio transmitters that work by connecting to a
nearby tower and exchanging data. Despite the FCC's limitation on maximum
power output of a cell phone, they are still able to connect with towers
miles away at UHF frequencies ... Because cell phones put out a constant RF
output (sometimes pulsed) they can be tracked using the tower triangulation
method where the network administrators can find your precise location with
their administrative network access."
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #917 on: December 04, 2010, 06:30:38 PM »

Oh, my, am I reading this correctly?  BBM – Stanton is saying that they may not even be at an arrest or an indictment phase in February, that he anticipates they will have narrowed down to a point of calling out a suspect and/or identifying certain people or things.   I sounds like he’s saying they’re not ready to arrest or indict anyone now and probably won’t be by February either.  More like they’re closing in from a big circle to a smaller one, and hope to have something more concrete information by February. 
I feel very sad…this coming out on the 6 month anniversary of Kyron going missing.  It seems like LE has been very busy, and they’ve found a lot of things LE has had to check out in the process of the investigation (probably about the “surprises” Stanton talked about in his last talk with the press).  It also sounds like this investigation could continue much longer than February.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html
(Snip) … The sheriff is pushing for something to shake loose by Feb. 1, the end of a 120-day deadline he set for the task force and when he reports back to county commissioners about the status of an investigation that has cost nearly $1.4 million as of Nov. 29.

"The scope is narrowing. My belief is we should be relatively close to something by then, that's why I set the time frame I did," Staton said. "While we may not be at an arrest or an indictment phase, we're going to have it narrowed down to a point where we may be calling out a suspect, identifying certain people or things." Yet prosecutors and task force members aren't about to set any deadlines.

"This is a marathon, not a sprint," Capt. Jason Gates said.  (Snip)

That is how I read it.
hellokitty
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #918 on: December 04, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »

The Graduate School and University Center at the City University of New York
(CUNY) has "Intro to Mapping Sciences" taught by Doug Williamson.
http://www.geography.hunter.cuny.edu/~dougwill/CRIME/the_district/web_site/ep19/ep19.htm

"Phase II of the FCC regulations will begin to be implemented in the fall of
2001.  During Phase II, wireless carriers and the PSAPs will be upgrading
their systems to provide more exact geographic coordinates.  Two methods will
be employed:

1) triangulation:  new receivers will be added to the tower arrays that will
be able to perform triangulation; and 2) global positioning receivers (GPS)
may be added to new wireless phones."
hellokitty
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #919 on: December 04, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »

More information on Phase II from this Wireless Advisor forum.
http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/archive/index.php/t-2863.html

"In the second phase, cell phone companies have two options for significantly
improving the locating capacity. They can install GPS chips in their
telephones. The chip determines the phone?s location (in hours, minutes, and
seconds of longitude and latitude) by receiving signals beamed down from an
array of satellites. The chip determines the location based on different
arrival times of these signals. Alternatively, a cell phone company can
comply with the mandate by using information provided by its network. This
approach uses towers and antennae in the carrier's network to measure the
timing of signals emitted from the phone, and thus its location ..."

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.