April 25, 2024, 12:25:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four reported missing 11/12/10 Apple Valley OH (1 alive - 3 found dead)  (Read 75670 times)
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »

He's got a hearing at 1:30pm.

In Good Morning America, a neighbor says he's a "squirrel eater."

Can't get lower than that. He would climb trees, set his lawn on fire, listen to neighbors, and shoot squirrels.

Nothing to indicate he was a killer, though.

Just weird.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/accused-kidnapper-missing-ohio-family-case-raised-flags/story?id=12158770

No red flags WTH ! How about a felon in possession of a weapon or shooting a gun inside city limits.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
New Monkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

It's my understanding he was trapping the squirrels and that he also killed a couple of dogs.
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/11/16/story-mount-vernon-missing-people-search-hope.html?sid=102

Families Still Hopeful 3 Will Be Found Alive
Tuesday,  November 16, 2010 6:23 AM
Updated: Tuesday,  November 16, 2010 12:52 PM
WBNS-10TV

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio — The search for three people missing in Knox County included cadaver dogs on Tuesday.
No one has seen or heard from Tina Herrmann, 32; her son, Kody, 11; and a friend, Stephanie Sprang, 41, since last Wednesday.

Investigators were using cadaver dogs to search six specific areas, including the Kokosing Gap trail that runs between Howard and Mount Vernon, 10TV's Tino Ramos reported.

Detectives told 10TV that dogs found a possible piece of evidence located off the trail near state Route 229.

It was a sock that appeared to have been recently placed in the area.  Investigators were unsure whether it was connected to the missing people.

A shoe was also found at Foundation Park, but there was no immediate word on whether it belonged to one of the missing people.

Part of the search also expanded into Howard, 10TV's Shayla Reaves reported.

A group searching south of Gambier reportedly may have found some evidence, but details on the findings were not released.

Matthew Hoffman, who is accused of kidnapping a fourth person in the case, was expected in court on Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities raided Hoffman's home on Sunday morning and found Sarah Maynard, 13, bound and gagged in the basement, 10TV News reported.

His court appearance was delayed Monday while investigators continued to attempt to question him, but authorities said he is not cooperating with investigators. 

Authorities and family members continued to hold out hope on Monday that the three will be found alive.

Optimism remained even after an afternoon news conference in which Knox County Sheriff David Barber offered the grim possibility that three people were dead.

Stephen Thompson, the father of Stephanie Sprang, said Monday that he and his family were still holding out hope that his daughter would be found alive, 10TV's Tanisha Mallett reported.

"I know that that time frame has been long between when they disappeared," Thompson said.  "But we have hope that we will see our loved ones soon."

Authorities spent much of Monday searching Foundation Park in Mount Vernon for any sign of the three missing people.  Officers and deputies used boats and helicopters to search the area, and investigators were seen leaving with bags of evidence.

Authorities downplayed any discovery on Monday night, saying they found nothing related to the case, Mallett reported.

"Your kids, your mom, me, your whole family, we're all looking for you," Thompson said.  "We'll be with you until we find you."

Barber said investigators searched the park because of its proximity to Hoffman's home.

Sarah Maynard is doing well and is with family members, Barber said.  He also said the girl is helping investigators, but he would not say whether Hoffman was cooperating.

"Not only is she assisting the investigation, under the circumstances a 13-year-old girl being held captive for four days by a total stranger, I would call her the epitome of bravery," Barber said.

Investigators tracked Hoffman down with the help of a receipt for a tarp that was purchased at a Walmart store in Mount Vernon, Mallett reported.

Investigators were reviewing surveillance footage from inside the store.

Kody A. Maynard is 4 feet, 10 inches tall, weighing 70 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

Sprang is 5 feet, 3 inches tall, weighing 110 pounds, with blonde hair and green eyes.

Herrmann is 5 feet, 6 inches tall, weighing 122 pounds, with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Knox County Sheriff's Office at 740-397-3333 or the tip line at 888-363-8477.

2 4 1
New Monkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »

Bond has been set at $1 million dollars.  A judge ordered that Matthew Hoffman, 30, post the full bond in order to be released from custody.  He is very muscular in the picture.  He looks very strong.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/11/16/story-mount-vernon-hoffman-court-hearing-bond.html?sid=102
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2010, 03:01:22 PM »

PRESSER ON FOXNEWS CABLE live right now

Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »

It's my understanding he was trapping the squirrels and that he also killed a couple of dogs.

Yah, NM, I wrote shooting in a generalizing kinda way, not expecting to be taken literally. I should've known monkeys are good and would pick up on that.

Here's a picture of him with his huge muscles. It is obvious that he works out, maybe lifts weights and uses steroids... not saying this literally, just speculating.

He will be VERY popular in jail.

Wink
Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »

Hoffman, who has not cooperated with investigators, now has a public defender and investigators have been cut off from him since he has a lawyer, Barber said.

According to Barber, Hoffman purchased trash bags, a T-shirt, tarps and a sandwich from the Mount Vernon Walmart.  Investigators recovered trash bags and a tarp during their investigation, Barber said.

Barber would not elaborate on when the items were purchased.

Investigators tracked Hoffman down from the receipt and swarmed his Columbus Road home on Sunday morning.  Sarah Maynard was found alive, bound and gagged in Hoffman's basement.

Barber asked the public to look at photos of the three vehicles involved in the case and to recall if they saw them last Wednesday or Thursday.  The vehicles were a Ford F-150 pickup that Herrmann was driving, a 2008 Toyota Yaris that Hoffman was driving and a silver Jeep that Sprang was driving.

Herrmann's pickup was found abandoned on Thursday on the campus of Kenyon College. All three vehicles were impounded.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/11/16/story-mount-vernon-hoffman-court-hearing-bond.html?sid=102

The article says he purchased "tarps" and "a" tarp was recovered, so he probably used the rest of them in his crime.

Now my question is, where was that receipt found? Was it found inside the house where he committed the crimes, or in the truck he disposed of near the college?

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2010, 05:45:37 PM »

Hoffman, who has not cooperated with investigators, now has a public defender and investigators have been cut off from him since he has a lawyer, Barber said.

According to Barber, Hoffman purchased trash bags, a T-shirt, tarps and a sandwich from the Mount Vernon Walmart.  Investigators recovered trash bags and a tarp during their investigation, Barber said.

Barber would not elaborate on when the items were purchased.

Investigators tracked Hoffman down from the receipt and swarmed his Columbus Road home on Sunday morning.  Sarah Maynard was found alive, bound and gagged in Hoffman's basement.

Barber asked the public to look at photos of the three vehicles involved in the case and to recall if they saw them last Wednesday or Thursday.  The vehicles were a Ford F-150 pickup that Herrmann was driving, a 2008 Toyota Yaris that Hoffman was driving and a silver Jeep that Sprang was driving.

Herrmann's pickup was found abandoned on Thursday on the campus of Kenyon College. All three vehicles were impounded.

The article says he purchased "tarps" and "a" tarp was recovered, so he probably used the rest of them in his crime.

Now my question is, where was that receipt found? Was it found inside the house where he committed the crimes, or in the truck he disposed of near the college?

Since they say they tracked him down from the receipt, I think they found it in the truck...went to Walmart, saw him on video and realized he was at the park and they had questioned him so probably knew where he lived.

But this doesn't make sense when you think about how LE said they knew Sarah was in the house but weren't sure about the others. 

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-kidnap-suspect-matthew-hoffman-appears-court-wearing/story?id=12163297
(video)
Kidnap Suspect Matthew Hoffman Yawns in Court Appearance
Sarah Maynard's Kidnap Suspects Appears in Court Wearing 'Suicide Gown'
November 16, 2010

Matthew Hoffman, the former convict accused of kidnapping a 13-year-old girl and eyed in the disappearance of her family, yawned when he appeared in an Ohio court today via video. As a safety precaution, the suspect was dressed in a "suicide gown."
Hoffman, 30, remained silent when charged in court for kidnapping Sarah Maynard, 13, and holding her prisoner in his basement, bound and gagged.

The suspect did not enter a plea. He looked down through much of the hearing, even yawning at one point.

Hoffman's public defender Bruce Malek said his client was unemployed, but had previously worked as a seasonal tree trimmer.

The judge set bail at $1 million and scheduled an additional hearing for next Tuesday.
If convicted of kidnapping, Hoffman could face a 10-year prison term. Authorities have indicated Hoffman could face additional charges.

Hoffman wore an-anti suicide gown made of a heavy material, intended to keep inmates from killing themselves with their own clothes. Knox County Sheriff David Barber said Hoffman had indicated he was contemplating suicide and was placed on suicide watch.
Police believe may have also played a role in the disappearance of the girl's family. Her mother Tina Herrmann, 32, brother Kody Maynard, 10, and family friend Stephanie Sprang, 41, who were last seen Wednesday at the family's home in Herman, Ohio, some 10 miles from where Sarah was found.

Authorities have searched a former gravel quarry turned into a park near Hoffman's Mount Vernon, Ohio, home looking for evidence of the three missing people. They removed two cars from a lake, but found no new evidence.

Barber told reporters today that police had discovered a Walmart reciept for tarps, garbage bags and a t-shirt at Hoffman's home. He said investigators had since found tarps and garbage bags he described as "significant to the investigation"

"We have recovered and collected significant evidence in this case," he said.
Kidnap Suspect Matthew Hoffman Would Kill and Eat Squirrels

Police were called to Sarah Maynard's home last Wednesday after Herrmann did not show up for work at a Dairy Queen. Investigators said they found large amounts of blood inside the house, which they believe is related to the family's disappearance.

Investigators are awaiting DNA testing of the blood found in the home.

Since Hofmann's arrest neighbors have described the convicted arsonist, who was released from a Colorado prison two years ago, as "bizarre." Hoffman served a seven year term for setting fire to a condominium complex in Steamboat Springs, Colo., in an attempt to cover up a burglary.

Neighbors in Ohio said they would see him climbing trees, spying on them from the boughs, building fires on his front lawn and killing small animals.

"He was killing the squirrels because he doesn't grocery shop," neighbor Kara Fowler told ABC News. "He would actually kill the squirrels and eat them."
Barber said Monday it was increasingly likely that Sarah's missing family were dead.

"We still would like to retain a hopeful attitude, but we have to be realistic," Barber said Monday.

"Four people are missing not quite a week. There has been no contact with them, with the exception of Sarah. Based on evidence, based on the fact we haven't seen them, there is a possibility that Stephanie, Tina and Kody are dead, that they've been killed," he said.
prang's father said he is praying police find the remaining missing people.

"We just have all the hope we can and prayers from everyone," Steven Thompson told "Good Morning America" today.

"We have thought how that connection was there, and we can't come up with one," he said. "I have never met the guy. I have never even seen his picture until just the other day."

Though Thompson had no inkling that anything was amiss with his daughter before she disappeared, he has since heard from friends that she suspected she might have been followed.

"I've heard from friends that she's had feelings for a while now that somebody was stalking her or watching her," he said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »

"I've heard from friends that she's had feelings for a while now that somebody was stalking her or watching her," he said.     That is what I questioned yesterday if this creature was watching this young girl for awhile, because his parents live close by to where the family lives.
New Monkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »

It just makes me sick to think of this loon skulking around these folks for several days.   
Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2010, 10:44:54 PM »

The following is a list of the people named in the search for 32-year-old Tina Herrmann, 13-year-old Sarah Maynard, 11-year-old Kody Maynard 11 and Herrmann 's friend, 41-year-old Stephanie Sprang, 41. Sarah has since been found alive and rescued.

Tina Herrmann - - MISSING
32-year-old white female
5 feet, 6 inches tall; 122 lbs.
Straight, shoulder length sandy blonde hair
Blue eyes
  - Mother of Sarah Maynard, 13, and Kody Maynard, 11.
  - Friend of Stephanie Sprang

Sarah Maynard - - FOUND
 - 13-year-old daughter of Tina Herrmann; brother of Kody Maynard
 - Found bound and gagged on Sunday at 8 a.m. in the basement of Howard's home
 - Called "the epitome of bravery" by Knox Co. Sheriff David Barber

Kody A. Maynard - - MISSING
11-year-old white male
4 feet, 10 inches tall; 70 lbs.
Brown hair, hazel eyes
  - Son of Tina Herrmann and brother to Sarah Maynard.

Stephanie Sprang - - MISSING
41-year-old white female
5 feet, 3 inches; 110 lbs.
Blonde or strawberry blonde hair
Green eyes
  - Friend of Tina Herrmann
  - Members of Sprang's family joined the search

Matthew Hoffman
30-year-old male
  - Convicted arsonist
 - Sarah Maynard found bound and gagged at 8 a.m. Sunday in the basement of his home on Old Columbus Road in Howard, Ohio.
  - Charged with kidnapping
  - Bond and arraignment hearing set for 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 16, at Mount Vernon Municipal court
  - Parents lived in home a few doors down from Tina Herrmann's home

Gregory Borders
 - Tina Herrmann's live-in ex-boyfriend
 - Told investigators he last heard from Tina Herrmann last Wed., Oct. 10, via text
 - Told investigators he didn't stay at Herrmann's home on Wed. night, Oct. 10
 - Told investigators he stayed with friend because was going golfing early Thursday
 - Told investigators he didn't do anything to harm Tina Herrmann or Stephanie Sprang
  - Said he feared something bad had happened to Herrmann and Sprang
 - Not a person of interest

Larry Maynard
 - Father of Kody and Sarah Maynard
 - Lives in Grove City
 - Not a person of interest

Agencies involved: Knox County Shierrf'fs office; Mount Vernon Police Department, Ohio State Highway Patrol (helicopter), Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

http://www.myfox28columbus.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wtte_vid_7697.shtml

Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »

10 Investigates on Tuesday obtained a police report that centered around an incident at Hoffman's home on Oct. 24.

Earlier this week, Hoffman's ex-girlfriend told 10TV News that he put his hand around her throat and choked her after she broke up with him.

"I went to my ex-boyfriend's house to pick up my car," the woman said in the report.  "We were in his living room talking and he got upset and he pushed me against the wall.  He grabbed his forearm up against my neck and was choking me.  I (kind of) got loose, then he grabbed me and we fell over his chair and onto the floor.

I was fighting to try and get him off me, but he proceeded to choke me on the ground.  He probably had me pinned down on the ground for about a minute or two.  Finally, he let me up and we talked for a few minutes, and then I left."

Hoffman's ex-girlfriend requested anonymity to 10TV News.

I wonder why she reported it, but didn't follow through pressing charges, and if police could have done something about it. I mean, someone showing that kind of rage and aggression is capable of anything.

Authorities released images of three vehicles connected to the case, and Barber asked for people to try and recall if they saw them last Wednesday or Thursday.  The vehicles were a Ford F-150 pickup that Herrmann was driving, a 2008 Toyota Yaris that Hoffman was driving and a silver Jeep belonging to Sprang.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/11/17/story-mount-vernon-search-day-seven.html?sid=102

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2010, 11:43:11 AM »

It just makes me sick to think of this loon skulking around these folks for several days.   
No matter how hard I try to picture this I can't. It appears that he wanted the young girl, and if that is right, why would you take four people? Extremely evil individual 
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/11/17/story-mount-vernon-search-day-seven.html?sid=102

Knox Co. Search Enters Seventh Day
Wednesday,  November 17, 2010 7:50 AM
Updated: Wednesday,  November 17, 2010 12:50 PM
WBNS-10TV

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio — As search efforts continue in Knox County for three people missing since last week, more details emerged about a man charged in connection with the case.

The mother of Matthew Hoffman said on Tuesday that she was hopeful that her son would include her on his jail visitation list and open up to her, 10TV's Ashleigh Barry reported.

Hoffman, 30, is accused of kidnapping Sarah Maynard, 13, and holding her in his basement for several days.  She was rescued on Sunday morning after authorities swarmed Hoffman's home in Mount Vernon.

Three other people, including the teen's mother and brother, vanished last Wednesday and have not been heard or seen from since.

Hoffman appeared in court on Tuesday via video and was ordered held on a $1 million bond.   He wore what is referred to as a suicide gown after indicating to jail staff that he may try to harm himself, authorities said.

He was scheduled to be in court again next Tuesday afternoon.

Later in the day, Hoffman's mother said that her son has always been extremely smart but often had difficulty connecting with others, including his older siblings.   She said she had no knowledge of the case, nor any information about her son's relationship with Maynard or the three missing people, Barry reported.

Hoffman was known to frequent a Mount Vernon gym, and employees there said nothing about him seemed out of the ordinary.

"He usually stuck to himself and he was very quiet," said employee Carla Black.  "But for the most part he was a really nice guy."

10 Investigates on Tuesday obtained a police report that involved an incident at Hoffman's home on Oct. 24.

Earlier this week, Hoffman's ex-girlfriend told 10TV News that he put his hand around her throat and choked her after she broke up with him.

"I went to my ex-boyfriend's house to pick up my car," the woman said in the report.  "We were in his living room talking and he got upset and he pushed me against the wall.  He grabbed his forearm up against my neck and was choking me.  I (kind of) got loose, then he grabbed me and we fell over his chair and onto the floor.

I was fighting to try and get him off me, but he proceeded to choke me on the ground.  He probably had me pinned down on the ground for about a minute or two.  Finally, he let me up and we talked for a few minutes, and then I left."

Hoffman's ex-girlfriend requested anonymity to 10TV News.

Search teams continued to scour portions of Knox County on Tuesday for clues related to the whereabouts of Tina Herrmann, 32; her son, Kody, 11; and a friend, Stephanie Sprang, 41.

Investigators used dogs to search six specific areas, including the Kokosing Gap trail that runs between nearby Howard, Ohio, and Mount Vernon, 10TV News reported.    Knox County Sheriff David Barber said the searches yielded some evidence, including trash bags and tarp, but he failed to elaborate on the items further.

Authorities released images of three vehicles connected to the case, and Barber asked for people to try and recall if they saw them last Wednesday or Thursday.  The vehicles were a Ford F-150 pickup that Herrmann was driving, a 2008 Toyota Yaris that Hoffman was driving and a silver Jeep belonging to Sprang.

Investigators said they hoped to have photographs on Wednesday showing the clothing that the three missing people may be wearing.

"Hopefully we'll have photographs of the clothing that were worn by Kody, Tina, for sure, and hopefully Stephanie, the last time anyone saw them," Barber said.

Kody A. Maynard is 4 feet, 10 inches tall, weighing 70 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

Sprang is 5 feet, 3 inches tall, weighing 110 pounds, with blonde hair and green eyes.

Herrmann is 5 feet, 6 inches tall, weighing 122 pounds, with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Knox County Sheriff's Office at 740-397-3333 or the tip line at 888-363-8477.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure they said there would be another press conf. today at 3 PM. Link in case there is.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/video/breaking.html

2 4 1
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »

Thanks, Suzie. Looks like it is about to start.  an angelic monkey

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »

Here we go, new conference.

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »

Clothing description of victims:

Tina- white cap, tan hoodie, tennis shoes
Kody- black shoes, jeans, grey shirt, blue hoodie

No clothing description of Stephanie.
Children rode bus home.
Well being check done on Wednesday between 6-8 pm first time lights, on truck in driveway, returned after 11pm, nothing had changed at 11pm. Next day truck gone (thursday)
Sarah providing info.

Investigation progressing. No cellphone activity, no credit card activity of victims.

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »

Clothing description of victims:

Tina- white cap, tan hoodie, tennis shoes
Kody- black shoes, jeans, grey shirt, blue hoodie

No clothing description of Stephanie.
Children rode bus home.
Well being check done on Wednesday between 6-8 pm first time lights, on truck in driveway, returned after 11pm, nothing had changed at 11pm. Next day truck gone (thursday)
Sarah providing info.

Investigation progressing. No cellphone activity, no credit card activity of victims.

Sounds to me like the perp could of been at the house when the "well being" check was made since the truck was gone on Thursday. What is the criteria to do a forced entry? They could have been alive in the house at the time the officer showed up! Ugh.....just venting-sorry.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.