April 25, 2024, 05:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four reported missing 11/12/10 Apple Valley OH (1 alive - 3 found dead)  (Read 75692 times)
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »

It could be accidental, but very suspicious.

The first thought is someone so callous who wants to add insult to injury - the neighborhood arsonist.

Besides that, I can think of two reasons why a fire would start in a home that is unoccupied in a middle income neighborhood.

One would be insurance purposes? Maybe someone wanted to burn it down so the insurance would pay the mortgage, etc... etc...

Two would be... to destroy any possible evidence that exists in the home that could tie someone to the crime.

Be that person the accused, or someone else.

Possibly like the Baker home being vandalized because of the horrible crime committed there. People want the house taken down as evil. Perhaps this community feels the same way.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

Well, at least the culprit was caught quickly, and at least one person was found alive.

Of course, there are questions that still remain unanswered. Like why? and how did the police find the teenager so quickly, and how did they know she would be in the guy's basement. Was there any other victims that we don't know about?

Personally, I would like to know how does the guy's room looks like, and if it is full of gory pictures and art, or weird books and movies.

I tell you, this case can make for a good X-Files or Fringe episode. Too sick and weird to be true, and yet... it's true.

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2010, 05:11:19 AM »

Attorney: Ohio slayings suspect off suicide watch
(AP) – Dec 8, 2010

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The only suspect in a kidnapping and triple-slaying in a rural Ohio community is off suicide watch and maintaining a positive attitude in jail, his lawyer said Wednesday.

A grand jury that met this week did not indict Matthew Hoffman, but additional charges could come soon, defense attorney Bruce Malek said.

"I would certainly hope and expect that any indictment be brought at the earliest opportunity," Malek said. "It serves no purpose to delay that grand jury."

State and national media descended on the small Ohio city of Mount Vernon, about 50 miles east of Columbus, for a week as authorities searched for four people who disappeared from a nearby home Nov. 10. On Nov. 14, one of the missing people, 13-year-old Sarah Maynard, was found bound and gagged but alive in Hoffman's basement.

Four days later, using information provided by Hoffman through his attorneys, authorities found the dismembered bodies of Maynard's mother, Tina Herrmann; her brother, 11-year-old Kody Maynard; and Stephanie Sprang, a friend of Herrmann.

The county coroner said the three were stabbed multiple times, and their dismembered remains put in garbage bags and lowered into a hollow tree. The remains of the family dog were also found in the tree.

Malek said he expects Knox County Prosecutor John Thatcher to either call a special grand jury because of the complexity of the case or present it to a regularly scheduled grand jury early next month.

Malek said investigators are still obtaining reports and awaiting lab testing on various pieces of evidence.

Thatcher said that grand jury proceedings are secret under Ohio law and he therefore could not comment.

Hoffman had been placed on suicide watch soon after his Nov. 14 arrest. A doctor associated with a local counseling center examined Hoffman the day before Thanksgiving and determined that he could be taken off suicide watch, Malek said. The move was made a few days later.

Hoffman remains in a segregated cell but can wear a regular jail uniform, has access to books and television and isn't under constant observation, Malek said.

"Under all the circumstances I think he's doing as well as one can," Malek said. "He's maintaining a positive attitude."

Sheriff David Barber did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Malek wouldn't comment on whether, if Hoffman is charged with the slayings, he would ask that a trial be held elsewhere because of publicity. He acknowledged the high interest generated by the killings and Hoffman's arrest.

"I'm not sure there's venue that doesn't have some knowledge of the case," Malek said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5huXCYvev3XyjMdK0L_r3IsRzjkiA?docId=9b36c15002404cf29bd8901bcfa5746f

Hey Matt -- there is a cord on the back of that television...do us all a favor please!

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #243 on: December 18, 2010, 05:17:27 AM »

This doesn't even look like the same guy....apparently his lawyers have already started the "clean-up" process on him for his court appearances

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/08/AR2010120803318.html

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #244 on: December 18, 2010, 01:57:44 PM »

This doesn't even look like the same guy....apparently his lawyers have already started the "clean-up" process on him for his court appearances

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/08/AR2010120803318.html

No, it really doesn't. What a difference. 

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #245 on: December 18, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #246 on: December 18, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »

OOPS! A little small.. 

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #247 on: December 18, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »

That's better!

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/04/Knox-County-murder-indictments.html?sid=101

Knox County grand jury indicts Hoffman on murder, rape charges
Prosecutor won't seek death penalty
Tuesday, January 4, 2011  10:36 AM
By Allison Manning

The Columbus Dispatch

Matthew J. Hoffman, the man accused of killing three people and raping and kidnapping a 13-year-old girl in November, was indicted on murder charges last night by a Knox County grand jury.

Hoffman, 30, was indicted on 10 counts, including three counts of aggravated murder, according to a release by Knox County Prosecutor John Thatcher.

He will not face the death penalty, in accordance with the wishes of the victims' families, according to Thatcher. More information about the decision not to include death penalty specifications will be released after Hoffman's arraignment in Knox County Common Pleas Court later this week.

Hoffman is accused of killing Tina R. Herrmann, 32, her 11-year-old son, Kody Maynard, and family friend Stephanie L. Sprang, 41. Herrmann's daughter was found bound and gagged in the basement of Hoffman's home, at 49 Columbus Rd. in Mount Vernon.

The Dispatch previously published the girl's name but is no longer identifying her because of the rape charge filed against Hoffman. The newpaper generally does not identify victims when sexual crimes are alleged.

The children's father said the past few months have been overwhelming for their family, but he wanted to thank the law enforcement and residents of Knox County and those nationwide that have sent cards, donations and prayers.

"When something like this happens, your faith in people kind of dwindles," Larry Maynard said. "And with the support of the community, it kind of brings back your faith that most people are good people."

He said that his daughter is in school, and living with him, his wife, and her two younger half-brothers. The family has taken advantage of counseling and other services from the county victims assistance program.

"She's doing as good as can be expected," Maynard said. "Our family's strong and we'll get through this. Our faith in God is pretty strong. I know my son's in heaven."

He would not say when prosecutors had spoken to the families about removing the death penalty as an option for Hoffman.

The murder charges carry a maximum sentence of life without parole.

He is also charged with one count of aggravated burglary, as the indictment alleges Hoffman was burglarizing Herrmann's home at 481 King Beach Dr. in Howard. Hoffman allegedly removed some clothing and bedding from the King Beach Drive home, and faces a charge of tampering with evidence, carrying a one to five year prison term.

Because the bodies were found dismembered and in a hollow tree in the Kokosing Lake Wildlife Area north of Fredericktown on Nov. 18, Hoffman is also charged with three counts of gross abuse of a corpse, which carry a maximum of three years in prison.

In addition to the possibility of being sentenced to life in prison without parole on the murder charges, Hoffman could also face a maximum of 10 years in prison on the burglary charge, 10 years for the rape charge, and 10 years on the kidnapping charge.

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #249 on: January 05, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/05/hoffman-charged-in-knox-county-deaths.html?sid=101
TRIPLE SLAYING
Hoffman charged in Knox County deaths
Indictment includes rape, kidnapping counts
Wednesday, January 5, 2011  02:54 AM

While reading the charges against a Knox County man accused of three murders, rape and kidnapping, Larry Maynard said his body shook as he considered the horrors his children experienced.

Maynard's son, 11-year-old Kody Maynard, was one of three people killed on Nov. 10, along with Kody's mother, 32-year-old Tina R. Herrmann, and family friend Stephanie L. Sprang, 41. Their dismembered bodies were found more than a week later in a hollow tree.

His 13-year-old daughter was found bound and gagged in the basement of the man held in the case, Matthew J. Hoffman, 30, of 49 Columbus Rd., in Clinton Township just south of downtown Mount Vernon. Prosecutors say she had been raped.

Hoffman, who is being held in lieu of a $1 million cash bond, was indicted on Monday by a Knox County grand jury on charges that include three counts of aggravated murder, rape and aggravated burglary, according to a release by county Prosecutor John Thatcher.
"I wake up every morning and think that it's going to be a bad dream," Maynard said yesterday. "Every day, it sinks in that it's a reality. This is life now ... People say things will get better in time, but I say to them, 'You've never lost a child.'"

The Dispatch previously published the girl's name but is no longer identifying her because of the rape charge filed against Hoffman. The newspaper generally does not identify victims when sexual crimes are alleged.

The murder charges carry a maximum sentence of life without parole. Thatcher said in the release that the indictment did not contain death-penalty specifications in accordance with the wishes of the victims' families.

Thatcher would not comment further. The date and time of Hoffman's arraignment have not been set, but authorities will release more information regarding the death-penalty decision then, he said in the release.

Maynard said the past few months have been overwhelming for his family, but he thanked the law-enforcement officers and residents of Knox County and those nationwide who have sent cards, donations and prayers.

"When something like this happens, your faith in people kind of dwindles," he said. "And with the support of the community, it kind of brings back your faith that most people are good people."

He said that his daughter is in school and living with him, his wife and two younger half-brothers. The family has taken advantage of counseling and other services from the county victims-assistance program.

"She's doing as good as can be expected," Maynard said. "Our family's strong, and we'll get through this. Our faith in God is pretty strong. I know my son's in heaven."

He would not say when prosecutors had spoken to the families about removing the death penalty as an option for Hoffman.

With information from Hoffman and his attorneys, authorities located the bodies of Herrmann, Kody and Sprang on Nov. 18 inside a hollow tree in the Kokosing Lake Wildlife Area north of Fredericktown.

Because of the number of charges and their seriousness, a special grand jury was convened to hear the case, Thatcher said. Jurors heard testimony for about six hours before handing up the indictment.

Hoffman's public defender, Bruce J. Malek, did not return a call seeking comment.

In addition to life sentences on the murder charges, Hoffman faces 10-year sentences on each of the aggravated burglary, rape and kidnapping charges.

Prosecutors say Hoffman burglarized Herrmann's home at 481 King Beach Dr. in Howard.

He also is accused of removing clothing and bedding from Herrmann's home, and faces a charge of tampering with evidence, carrying a one- to five-year prison term.

And because of the conditions of the bodies, Hoffman faces three counts of gross abuse of a corpse, which carry a maximum of three years in prison on each count.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »

horrible...
I am glad to hear that the girl is getting counseling..what a nightmare ....

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »

horrible...

This is another horrible murder case that will never leave me. I am shocked every time I read more about the crime. It is still mind boggling what was done to these families. God bless them all, and the ones left behind trying to deal with it on a day to day basis.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »

horrible...

This is another horrible murder case that will never leave me. I am shocked every time I read more about the crime. It is still mind boggling what was done to these families. God bless them all, and the ones left behind trying to deal with it on a day to day basis.

agree Fanny..

sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »

Matthew Hoffman, Ohio Killer Who Hid Bodies in Tree, Pleads Guilty

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20027794-504083.html

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »

This is almost anti-climatic. I don't guess we will ever hear the facts of when and how this all happened. Or how he got them to the wooded area, or how he got the mother's car to where he abandoned it. Maybe it's not for us to know anyhow. But it still feels like there are a lot of loose ends.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »

This is almost anti-climatic. I don't guess we will ever hear the facts of when and how this all happened. Or how he got them to the wooded area, or how he got the mother's car to where he abandoned it. Maybe it's not for us to know anyhow. But it still feels like there are a lot of loose ends.
Fanny, I think the horror of it all is so overwhelming the families just want to shut that door and move on as best as they can.  I am so grateful they are receiving counseling, yet even with that, it will take a long time for trust to be restored.  I am glad too they are a family of faith.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »

Fanny, I think the horror of it all is so overwhelming the families just want to shut that door and move on as best as they can.  I am so grateful they are receiving counseling, yet even with that, it will take a long time for trust to be restored.  I am glad too they are a family of faith.

Yes, I am sure they know a lot of things we are not privy too. And I can't say as I blame them for wanting all of this to just go away. I would probably feel the same way too. 

AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »

Case archive album

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Herrmann-Maynard-Sprang%20Murders%20%20-OH-/

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
onereddoxie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=13987699

OH killer says Mount Vernon house was random target

Posted: Feb 08, 2011 4:14 AM EST
Updated: Feb 08, 2011 4:21 AM EST

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio man who killed two women and an 11-year-old boy during a home burglary and dropped their dismembered bodies down a hollow tree confesses the house was a random target, picked because no neighbors were close and the garage door was left slightly open.

The Columbus Dispatch obtained 30-year-old Matthew Hoffman's confession through a public records request.

Hoffman is serving life in prison. Prosecutors told him they wouldn't seek the death penalty if he revealed where the bodies were and explained in detail what happened.

The newspaper says most of the four-page confession focuses on four days Hoffman spent at his Mount Vernon home with a 13-year-old girl he kidnapped. He describes how he cooked her hamburgers, slept with his arm around her and bound her hands and feet.

"No one can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog."
Gene Hill
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »

just...dam a tough read
Excerpts from Matthew Hoffman's confession
Given on Nov. 19, 2010
Monday, February 7, 2011  04:23 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/07/hoffman-confession.html

Knox County killer of 3 says burglary was intent
In confession, he says he treated teen hostage well
Tuesday, February 8, 2011  02:51 AM
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - Matthew Hoffman chose the house he wanted to burglarize, and then he waited.

Just before he took three lives and changed a teenage girl forever, Hoffman spent the night in the woods across from Tina Herrmann's isolated Knox County home. Bundled in a sleeping bag to ward off the cold of the November night, he watched the split-level house.

He dozed. Sometime after 9 a.m. on Nov. 10, a Wednesday, he saw Herrmann leave. Hoffman sneaked across the road and slipped under the overhead garage door, which wasn't completely closed.

more
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/08/knox-county-killer-of-3-says-burglary-was-intent.html?sid=101

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.