March 18, 2024, 10:38:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meditations  (Read 73258 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 07:18:49 AM »

from gratefulness.org
Grief and gratitude are kindred souls,
each pointing to the beauty of what is transient and given to us by grace.

Patricia Campbell Carlson
(Letter to a friend)

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »

Life is Like a Song
Life is like a song
Waiting to be sung.
Will it be played softly
Or like the beating of a drum?

The lyrics are being
Recorded each and every day
In all that we do
And in all that we say.

If we choose to follow God and
Abstain from the devil and his ways
Our song will have a beautiful melody
One of purity and praise.

Now go ahead and write your glorious
Song as you live for Christ each day
For great will be your reward and
In heaven you'll forever stay.

~Alma Norman

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »

Quote of the Day: Such a Gift

WAR IS HELL, BUT sometimes in the midst of that Hell men do things that Heaven itself must be proud of. A hand grenade is hurled into a group of men. One of the men throws himself on top of it, making his body a living shield. In the burst of wild fire he dies, and the others live. Heroism is only a word, often a phony one. This is an action for which there is no good word because we can hardly even imagine it, let alone give it its proper name. Very literally, one man takes death into his bowels, takes fire into his own sweet flesh, so that the other men can take life, some of them men he hardly knows.

Who knows why a man does such a thing or what thoughts pass through his mind just before he does it. Maybe no thoughts at all. Maybe if he stopped to think, he would never do it. Maybe he just acts spontaneously out of his passion the way, when you are a child and somebody attacks your brother, you attack the attacker with no fear for yourself but just because it is your brother and somebody is attacking him. Or if you are a cynic, you might say that a man must be temporarily insane to do such a thing because no man in his right mind would ever willingly give his life away, hardly even for somebody he loved, let alone for people he barely knows. Or that he must have acted out of a crazy thirst for glory, believing that not even death was too high a price to pay for a hero's honors. Or if you are an idealist, you might insist that although the human spirit is full of darkness, every once in a while it is capable of the Godlike act. Maybe in some complex way, something of all of these is involved. It is impossible for us to imagine the motive.

But I think that it is not so hard to imagine how the men whose lives are saved might react to the one who died to save them—not so hard, I suppose, for the obvious reason that most of us are more experienced at receiving sacrifices than at making them. In their minds' eyes, those saved men must always see the dead one where he lay in the ruins of his own mortality, and I suspect that at least part of what they feel must be a revulsion so strong that they come to believe that if they could somehow have stopped him from doing what he did, they would have stopped him. We say "life at any price," but I have the feeling that to have somebody else pay such a price for us would be almost more than we would choose to bear. I have the feeling that given the choice, we would not have let him do it, not for his sake but for our own sakes.

Because we have our pride, after all. We make our own way in the world, we fight our own battles, we are not looking for any handouts, we do not want something for nothing. It threatens our self-esteem, our self-reliance. And because to accept such a gift from another would be to bind us closer to him than we like to be bound to anybody. And maybe most of all because if another man dies so that I can live, it imposes a terrible burden on my life. From that point on, I cannot live any longer just for myself. I have got to live also somehow for him, as though in some sense he lives through me now as, in another sense, I live through him. If what he would have done with his life is going to be done, then I have got to do it. My debt to him is so great that the only way I can approach paying it is by living a life as brave and beautiful as his death. So maybe I would have prevented his dying if I could, but since it is too late for that, I can only live my life for what it truly is: not a life that is mine by natural right, to live any way I choose, but a life that is mine only because he gave it to me, and I have got to live it in a way that he also would have chosen.

-Originally published in The Hungering Dark

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 07:51:35 AM »

from gratefulness.org

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.

Winston Churchill

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »

from gratefulness.org

Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.

John Wesley

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »

from Gratefulness.org

Any human who feels that he or she is not "good enough" to cultivate peace and generosity is overlooking the wondrous gift of life. You live, therefore you are good enough.

Dhyani Ywahoo
 Voices of Our Ancestors

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »

The grace of God means something like:
 Here is your life.
 You might never have been, but you are,
 because the party wouldn't have been complete without you.
Here is the world.
 Beautiful and terrible things will happen.
 Don't be afraid.
 I am with you.

- originally published in Wishful Thinking and later in Beyond Words
Fred Buechner

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »

from gratefulness.org

All this hurrying soon will be over. Only when we tarry do we touch the holy.

Rainer Maria Rilke
In Praise of Mortality, translated and edited by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.